Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-13-2012, 09:54 AM   #151
Pixiedust34
It's like I'm stuck in a music time warp
Hasn't touched an iron in over 10 yrs!
I love Target! Where else can you buy candy corn 90% off?!
My tags are getting dusty!

Just starting Winter of the World by Ken Follett. I've had it on hold at the library since last month, and finally got it last night! I hope it is worth the wait.

I liked Fall of Giants, but not as much as the Pillars of the Earth series.
Old 12-13-2012, 10:37 AM   #152
Glynis
Taking applications for a WDW tour guide!

Finished "Northanger Abbey" a couple of days ago. I love Jane Austen, and this one did not disappoint! I did feel like the ending was a bit rushed, but I loved the humor of this book! She really took a dig at the gothic novels of the day, and it was enjoyable!

Now, I'm trying to finish Philippa Gregory's book "The Lady of the Rivers". I need to return it to my dad tomorrow, and I'm 3/4 of the way done. This is fantastic! I think it's my new favorite of hers. Of course, I say that about all of them!

Once that is done, I need to finish "The Story of Edgar Sawtelle", and "Team of Rivals". That ought to get me to Christmas!

2014 Reading Challenge Goal: 70 books

The Art of Racing in the Rain ~ The House of Hades ~ How To Be Like Walt ~ Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows ~ The Seven Mouths of God ~ Behind the Beautiful Forevers ~ The Mysterious Affair at Styles ~ The Big 5-Oh ~ A Year in the Life of William Shakespeare ~ Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children ~ Wait Till Next Year ~ While We Were Watching Downton Abbey ~ Great Expectations ~ The Maze Runner ~ The Fault In Our Stars ~ The Juliet Club ~ The Girls' Guide to Love and Supper Clubs ~ The Power of One ~ The Supremes at Earl's All-You-Can-Eat ~ Hollow City ~ The Fountainhead ~ Cat's Cradle ~ Speaking From Among The Bones ~ Death Comes to Pemberley ~ Quilt or Innocence ~ The Chocolate Thief ~ On Strike for Christmas ~ Bikini Season ~ Mrs. Lincoln's Dressmaker ~ Miss Dreamsville and the Collier County Women's Literary Society ~ Cinnamon Roll Murder ~ Red Velvet Cupcake Murder ~ Blackberry Pie Murder ~ Home To Holly Springs ~ In The Company of Others ~ The Devil in the White City ~ Gathering Blue ~ Messenger ~ The Bell Jar ~ The Boys in the Boat ~ The Dead in Their Vaulted Arches ~ Son ~ Beach Colors ~ Welcome to Last Chance ~ Last Chance Beauty Queen ~ Last Chance Knit and Stitch ~ The World According to Garp ~ The Bean Trees ~ I'll Be Seeing You ~ The Hours ~ Prodigal Summer ~ The Ocean at the End of the Lane ~ The Light Between Oceans
Glynis is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-13-2012, 10:55 AM   #153
DisneyRunnerChick
Princess of the Sneakers

Sherman Alexie! I love him!

Me-; DFi-; DS-; DD-
Walt Disney World Half Marathon 2011, 2012; Wine and Dine Half Marathon 2011; Princess Half Marathon 2012; Expedition Everest Challenge 2012; ToT 2012; Wine and Dine Half 2012

Off property 2003; Off property 2004; PC March 2006; POR September 2010; ALSS January 2011; CS March 2011; POR October 2011; YC/PC January 2012; ALSS February 2012; AKL May 2012; POR September 2012; CB September 2012; AoA/ALSMusic November 2012; CSR January 2013

DisneyRunnerChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 01:12 PM   #154
willowsnn3
Tagless not by choice but by circumstance

I just finished 'World Made By Hand' by James Howard Kunstler. Good but got better in the last few chapters so I do think I want to get the sequel.

Book Challenge Goal 85/72

willowsnn3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 01:19 PM   #155
stacy347
I carried a watermelon?

Quote:
Originally Posted by threeboysmom View Post
Has anyone read Zoo by James Patterson?

I was at the library and it caught my eye. However, I have so many books on my "to read" list, I don't want to add any more unless it's worth it.

I've read one James Patterson novel before and didn't really care for it. Think it was Postcard Killers ? I could be remembering wrong. Might not have been same author...
I finished Zoo about 2 weeks ago. I have to say, it was probably my favorite Patterson in a long time. He does tend to get repetitive.

Without giving up too much of the plot, it plays on another "End of days" type scenario, but I liked the spin of this one.

I have to say though:
All in one week I read Zoo, saw Seeking a Friend for the End of the World plus my regular shows like Fringe and Revolution, and I am feeling the pressure to start preparing for the end, LOL. It may be time for me to pick a lighter topic.

Right now I am on Book 9 of the Anita Blake series (Obsidian Butterfly). The writing style drives me nuts at times, as she can be very grammatically incorrect (not from lack of writing skills, just due to the narrative). I love her storytelling though, so I will definitely finish the series.
May 16-22, 2010 Seralago Resort ~ so much fun!
June 17-23, 2012 Regal Palms ~ loved it!
Oct. 4, 2012 Disney on Ice: Rockin' Ever After
stacy347 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 02:45 PM   #156
threeboysmom
I REALLY AM a Princess!!!
Hands off the crown! It's not for trade :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pixiedust34 View Post
Just starting Winter of the World by Ken Follett. I've had it on hold at the library since last month, and finally got it last night! I hope it is worth the wait.

I liked Fall of Giants, but not as much as the Pillars of the Earth series.
I've read both Pillars of the Earth and World Without End and enjoyed them immensely. Where does Fall of Giants come in? Is that part of another series?

Let us know how Winter of the World is! I may have to add that one!

Books Read: #1 My Year with Eleanor, #2 Trust Your Eyes, #3 Doctor Sleep, #4 Can Man Live Without God, #5 Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, #6 The Woods, #7 When She Woke, #8 The Glass Castle, #9 The Rosie Project, #10 The Husband's Secret, #11 The Cuckoo's Calling, #12 Six Years, #13 Her Mother's Hope, #14 Perfect People, #15 The Last Original Wife, #16 Star Island, #17 Pursuit of Peace, #18 Room, #19 Innocence #20 New Year Island, #21 Me Before You, #22 Unbroken, #23 You Don't Want to Know, #24 Her Daughter's Dream, #25 The Leisure Seeker, #26 Rainshadow Road, #27 The Art of Hearing Heartbeats, #28 Little Bee, #29 The Art Forger, #30 One Plus One, #31 Double Whammy, #32 The Girl You Left Behind, #33 Orphan Train, #34 Big Little Lies, #35 The Good Girl, #36 The Girl with All the Gifts, #37 Outlander, #38 Lucid, #39 You, #40 Dragonfly in Amber

Currently reading: #41 Voyager

threeboysmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 02:48 PM   #157
threeboysmom

Quote:
Originally Posted by wvjules View Post
So I decided not to give up on Les Mis...again. I started reading it again last night. I think I will regret NOT reading it more than I will regret reading it. I am done with school for the semester so I have more reading time now. I might also try to simultaneously read a fluff book to give me Les Mis breaks.
Definitely stick with it! There's so much emotion in the book that can never be portrayed in the same way on a Broadway stage or in the movie theatre.

I finished a couple months ago. It was GRUELING at times (I admit I did have to skim through entire sections at a time), but it was so worth it. Les Mis is a story that will forever stay in my heart.

The "taking Les Mis breaks" is what I had to do. Read a fluff book at page 500 or so, then again at page 1000. Your mind will need refreshing at those intervals, lol.

Books Read: #1 My Year with Eleanor, #2 Trust Your Eyes, #3 Doctor Sleep, #4 Can Man Live Without God, #5 Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, #6 The Woods, #7 When She Woke, #8 The Glass Castle, #9 The Rosie Project, #10 The Husband's Secret, #11 The Cuckoo's Calling, #12 Six Years, #13 Her Mother's Hope, #14 Perfect People, #15 The Last Original Wife, #16 Star Island, #17 Pursuit of Peace, #18 Room, #19 Innocence #20 New Year Island, #21 Me Before You, #22 Unbroken, #23 You Don't Want to Know, #24 Her Daughter's Dream, #25 The Leisure Seeker, #26 Rainshadow Road, #27 The Art of Hearing Heartbeats, #28 Little Bee, #29 The Art Forger, #30 One Plus One, #31 Double Whammy, #32 The Girl You Left Behind, #33 Orphan Train, #34 Big Little Lies, #35 The Good Girl, #36 The Girl with All the Gifts, #37 Outlander, #38 Lucid, #39 You, #40 Dragonfly in Amber

Old 12-13-2012, 03:01 PM   #158
Pixiedust34
It's like I'm stuck in a music time warp
Hasn't touched an iron in over 10 yrs!
I love Target! Where else can you buy candy corn 90% off?!
My tags are getting dusty!

Quote:
I've read both Pillars of the Earth and World Without End and enjoyed them immensely. Where does Fall of Giants come in? Is that part of another series?

Let us know how Winter of the World is! I may have to add that one!
Fall of Giants and Winter of the World are part of a trilogy covering various families in the 20th Century. The third book is not published yet.

Fall of Giants covers a lot of the WWI Era, and Winter of the World picks up in the 1930s (focusing on the characters' children from the first book) and looks like it's go through WWII. I think the third book may encompass the Cold War. It's interesting because the characters in the book are from different countries. Their lives are intertwined in various ways, but you get a glimpse of world history from different countries and all walks of life. If you read the books, do so in order starting with Fall of Giants.
Old 12-17-2012, 06:34 PM   #159
hulagirl87
DIS Veteran

I finished Confessions of a Murder Suspect and it was pretty good. I got "Bloom" by Kelle Hampton at the library today and started reading it. I'm already a few chapters in. It's really good.

me DH DD and DS
hulagirl87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 06:50 PM   #160
ColoradoMom!!
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoMom!! View Post
I was looking for a new read when I came across this book on Amazon. It has such incredible reviews that I think I will give it a try:

The Edge of Never by J.A. Redmerski

http://www.amazon.com/The-Edge-of-Ne...mm_kin_title_0

Quote:
Wow! GREAT reviews on this book over at Goodreads too (I manage my book lists on that site - fantastic if you are not familiar with it).

Thanks for the recommendation! This is definitely being moved to the top of my list!
OK - read it - NOT impressed. A lot more reviews came out on Amazon since I posted the book as a suggestion, and they are more realistic/balanced. I am sooo easy to please - even managed to read a bit of fluff with Twilight and found it entertaining. But this book seems like it was written by a lovesick high schooler. Sorry - hope no one wasted their time or money. Stay away - far, far away.

Disneyland October 21-24, 2008

Boston Vacation and Red Sox Game July 2009
Back to Cooperstown and New York City June 2010
Disneyland December 2011 and Jan 2013
ColoradoMom!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 12:15 PM   #161
threeboysmom

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoMom!! View Post
OK - read it - NOT impressed. A lot more reviews came out on Amazon since I posted the book as a suggestion, and they are more realistic/balanced. I am sooo easy to please - even managed to read a bit of fluff with Twilight and found it entertaining. But this book seems like it was written by a lovesick high schooler. Sorry - hope no one wasted their time or money. Stay away - far, far away.
Ah, that's disappointing, but thanks for keeping us updated! I'll take another look at reviews and decide. I probably won't get to it for another month or two anyways.

Old 12-18-2012, 12:26 PM   #162
jgh
Peter Pan!

I'm re-reading the Harry Potter series right now...

jgh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 07:21 PM   #163
JaneBanks
Lime Cordial, delicious! Laughing on the ceiling with Uncle Albert

Bump!

(ME) (DH) =

December 2010 Grand Floridian Honeymoon

February 2012 Port Orleans French Quarter
January 2014 Port Orleans French Quarter
JaneBanks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 07:31 PM   #164
Glynis
Taking applications for a WDW tour guide!

Still making my way through "The Story of Edgar Sawtelle". I wasn't sure about it, at first, but it's catching me! I like the "Hamlet" undercurrent running through it.

2014 Reading Challenge Goal: 70 books

The Art of Racing in the Rain ~ The House of Hades ~ How To Be Like Walt ~ Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows ~ The Seven Mouths of God ~ Behind the Beautiful Forevers ~ The Mysterious Affair at Styles ~ The Big 5-Oh ~ A Year in the Life of William Shakespeare ~ Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children ~ Wait Till Next Year ~ While We Were Watching Downton Abbey ~ Great Expectations ~ The Maze Runner ~ The Fault In Our Stars ~ The Juliet Club ~ The Girls' Guide to Love and Supper Clubs ~ The Power of One ~ The Supremes at Earl's All-You-Can-Eat ~ Hollow City ~ The Fountainhead ~ Cat's Cradle ~ Speaking From Among The Bones ~ Death Comes to Pemberley ~ Quilt or Innocence ~ The Chocolate Thief ~ On Strike for Christmas ~ Bikini Season ~ Mrs. Lincoln's Dressmaker ~ Miss Dreamsville and the Collier County Women's Literary Society ~ Cinnamon Roll Murder ~ Red Velvet Cupcake Murder ~ Blackberry Pie Murder ~ Home To Holly Springs ~ In The Company of Others ~ The Devil in the White City ~ Gathering Blue ~ Messenger ~ The Bell Jar ~ The Boys in the Boat ~ The Dead in Their Vaulted Arches ~ Son ~ Beach Colors ~ Welcome to Last Chance ~ Last Chance Beauty Queen ~ Last Chance Knit and Stitch ~ The World According to Garp ~ The Bean Trees ~ I'll Be Seeing You ~ The Hours ~ Prodigal Summer ~ The Ocean at the End of the Lane ~ The Light Between Oceans
Glynis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 09:55 AM   #165
threeboysmom

Everyone must be too busy with the holidays to get much reading done. I know that's how it is with me.

I did divert from my pre-planned list of books (yeah I do have a book "itinerary" lol) to read Ted Dekker's second book in the Circle Series - Red. Thoroughly enjoying it even though it's my second time through this series.

Highly recommend any of his books, but especially, Black, Red, White, and Green (Circle series).

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: