Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-20-2012, 09:12 AM   #1
carm424
Earning My Ears

I think I am going to cry

I just heard that they are taping the X-mas parade on Dec. 1st. That is the day we are planning on going to MK. I planned this whole trip to WDW so that it would not be busy, now that I heard that I just want to cry. I have two small ones and I do not want to fight the crowds and TV hungry people. Any suggestions and tips for those who have been there on that day in the past????
carm424 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 09:15 AM   #2
TDC Nala
1937, what a year that was
Diet Coke on Ice or Else
I apparently don't do anything they want to stimulate

DISboards Moderator

Go early. You will be fine until the taping ends. Once it ends, the attendees spread out all over the park.

Really glad I am missing it this year.
Register to remove

Old 11-20-2012, 09:19 AM   #3
awilliams4
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by carm424 View Post
I just heard that they are taping the X-mas parade on Dec. 1st. That is the day we are planning on going to MK. I planned this whole trip to WDW so that it would not be busy, now that I heard that I just want to cry. I have two small ones and I do not want to fight the crowds and TV hungry people. Any suggestions and tips for those who have been there on that day in the past????
December 1st is a Saturday and the Christmas decorations are up?!?!

It is not going to 'not be busy'.

I would suggest hitting MK on Sunday or later and not Saturday.
awilliams4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 09:20 AM   #4
Magpie
I guess there's not much else to do in the jar
Mean people - they don't matter

Quote:
Couple points...

1. Most of the crowds will be on Main Street. You can still enjoy reasonably quiet touring in the rest of the Magic Kingdom while they're taping.

2. Are you locked into visiting the MK on that day, because you have ADRs and no hoppers? If not, just visit one of the other three parks instead and save the Magic Kingdom for another day. (The 2nd will probably be terrific.)

3. Really, there's no reason to cry. The last week of November/first week of December are STILL low season and wonderful weeks to visit WDW. Just have a good touring plan, and get to the parks early, and you'll be all set.

4. If by some chance you need to get through Main Street and it's blocked by crowds, just walk through the shops instead. They're all connected in one big row down Main Street.
Magpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 09:20 AM   #5
TDC Nala
1937, what a year that was
Diet Coke on Ice or Else
I apparently don't do anything they want to stimulate

DISboards Moderator

Sunday is a Christmas party day and the park closes at 7 to guests without party tickets. If that makes a difference.
Old 11-20-2012, 09:24 AM   #6
carm424
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by awilliams4 View Post
December 1st is a Saturday and the Christmas decorations are up?!?!

It is not going to 'not be busy'.

I would suggest hitting MK on Sunday or later and not Saturday.
I understand that it is going to busy, but I was looking forward to it not being as busy as it has in the past for us! Plus this is the only day that we are there that they are not doing MVMCP.
carm424 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 09:26 AM   #7
goofy4tink
Likes little devils
I know I'm getting old...I get it, I really do
Prisoner of Toy Story Mania

DISboards Moderator

Saturday is the one day of the week I always avoid MK...and parade taping day can be crazier than normal!!! So, what to do??? Yes, you can still go to MK and enjoy your day. You will most likely be herded past Main St upon entering MK. As soon as you get past the actual Main St area, and Castle, you should be fine. The vast majority of guests hang around on Main St to watch the parade taping.
But, as soon as the taping is over, they all head for attractions!!! So, try to get the stuff you need to do early in the day!!
The first Sat in Dec is historically the day of parade taping. And as far as 'low crowds' go?? Early Dec is no longer a low crowd time of year. Pop Warner groups are in WDW at this time of year...and that adds larger groups. Not to mention that Saturdays are a very popular time for locals to head to MK.

So, go, but go early. Then, if you can, plan on leaving MK and heading elsewhere for the rest of the day. After 1pm, you are going to have lots of company in MK!!

Since it looks like you are trying to be at MK on days that the park is open later.....I would go for park opening on Sunday. Yes, there is a party that night, but you will find the crowds to be smaller since those heading to the party won't start arriving until 4ish. You can always break your MK time into 2 days..one early in the day, and the other later in the day for fireworks and such.
goofy4tink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 09:26 AM   #8
Ariel8676
DIS Veteran

I have been there when they were taping..its really not bad, Main Street is very crowded, but thats about it. Get there early, hit the big rides and use fastpasses and you'll be fine. I will say that after taping is over the crowd level will pick up and the busses will be packed..lol
Ariel8676 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 09:26 AM   #9
Magpie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDC Nala View Post
Sunday is a Christmas party day and the park closes at 7 to guests without party tickets. If that makes a difference.
Which is exactly why we're planning to visit the MK on that Sunday!

(Of course, Sunday the 2nd is the parade's rain date, so we're taking a small chance! But December's rarely wet, so I'm not worried.)
Old 11-20-2012, 09:31 AM   #10
DebbieB
DVC Member BWV 99
You have to compare apples to apples

I've been there on the parade taping day and it isn't that bad early. People are more on Main Street, the rest of the park is empty. When the taping is over, more people spread out into the park.

The last time I was there in December, it did rain and the parade was postponed until Sunday, which was the day we planned to go to MK. It was fine. We were actually asked to stand for a Jonas Brothers concert in front of the castle, they needed to fill spaces. We figured, why not? Once we saw them, we left.
Old 11-20-2012, 09:31 AM   #11
Magpie

Quote:
I understand that it is going to busy, but I was looking forward to it not being as busy as it has in the past for us! Plus this is the only day that we are there that they are not doing MVMCP.
Where you hoping to see the nighttime entertainment, like the Main Street Electrical Parade?

Otherwise MVMCP days are terrific days to visit the Magic Kingdom. The crowds are significantly lower, and small children are usually all tired out by 7pm anyway. So it's no big deal to head back to the hotel after dinner.

Longer hours don't generally mean you're getting more for your money, they just mean more people in the park.

If you want fireworks, I'd recommend seeing the closing show at Epcot. And if you want a parade, the Jingle Jungle Parade in Animal Kingdom is a great deal of fun. I think the nighttime shows in MK are nice, but for me, I prefer a quieter park and less crowds.
Old 11-20-2012, 09:34 AM   #12
DISNEYaddict4evr
Now some person I don't even know reminds me there's no eating, drinking, smoking, or flash photography allowed in my dream.

We visited MK last year on a MVMCP day and non-day. It was definitely best the day of the party. Way less people, much less crowded. Sure the park closed early but use that time go have a nice relaxing dinner at DTD or go back and enjoy your hotel.
DISNEYaddict4evr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 09:36 AM   #13
Love Tink
DIS Veteran

[QUOTE=goofy4tink;46751322And as far as 'low crowds' go?? Early Dec is no longer a low crowd time of year.[/QUOTE]

Early December is absolutely, 100%, still a low crowd time of year. The only people who don't think so are people who either think "low" means empty, or who choose the wrong days for each park.

Which leads me to my second point. If the reason you chose early December is because of low crowds (as you indicated), then why were you going to MK on a Saturday? If you go to MK on any Saturday, but particularly a Saturday during party season...you will be one of those people who comes back saying how it wasn't a low crowd period.
Love Tink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 09:46 AM   #14
goofy4tink
Likes little devils
I know I'm getting old...I get it, I really do
Prisoner of Toy Story Mania

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love Tink View Post
Early December is absolutely, 100%, still a low crowd time of year. The only people who don't think so are people who either think "low" means empty, or who choose the wrong days for each park.

Which leads me to my second point. If the reason you chose early December is because of low crowds (as you indicated), then why were you going to MK on a Saturday? If you go to MK on any Saturday, but particularly a Saturday during party season...you will be one of those people who comes back saying how it wasn't a low crowd period.
You're right....'low crowds' tends to be a relative phrase. BUT...after being in WDW, in early Dec, every year for the past nine years, I know that the crowds have gotten heavier and heavier every year. The word got out that Dec is a terrific time to visit...now, there are a lot more people in the parks in early Dec!!! It is a hugely popular time for DVC people....low point usage added to the holiday themes make it a great time of year to visit.

If you want a lower time of year, plus the holiday happenings, then sure, go in early Dec. BUT..in all reality, it isn't going to be uncrowded in early Dec!!! Not like it used to be. And not like it is in late January, or in early to mid Sept!!

As soon as you see extended park hours, you know it's going to be somewhat busy in that park. That would be why Disney extends the park hours to begin with!!! More people there....longer park hours.
goofy4tink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 09:52 AM   #15
biondagirl
Mouseketeer

You'll be fine. We were there two years ago at that time and we just started our day at Tommorrowland. (We were taken "behind the scenes" to avoid Main Street.) We had a great day then since we had no interest in watching Mariah Carey perform.

biondagirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: