Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-20-2012, 08:23 PM   #31
Minerva Mouse
You miss 100% of the shots you don't take.
I no longer have eyebrows. I have bushes!

I don't think this has anything to do with putting on your BGP!

OP, I agree with you 100% it's common flippin courtesy. If the office only has 6 people, it's NOT that hard for one person to ask 5 people what they want for lunch? Even if you don't all sit down and eat it together, they should still have some respect for their fellow co-workers and ask EVERYONE.

I would probably find a way to initiate it everyday. "Hey what's everyone doing for lunch today? I was thinking of ordering _____," and see if they bite. It does sound like the office dynamics have changed and that stinks try not to let it get ya down and maybe learn to enjoy your new quite time.
Minerva Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 08:54 PM   #32
goofyintoronto
Proud foot flusher
I really wanted to like it, but I didn't

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hrhpd
The OP said that they don't ask her nor do they ask her assistant. Since it is more than one person, it does not seem to be an intentional exclusion, but a natural one since the OP and her assistant work in private offices while the others work together.

It is natural for those in an open area that work together to plan their lunches, etc. And thinking about the people over there in the private offices doesn't usually happen. Private office people are often thought to be on a different level socially than those working in an open space.
I agree with this. I can see how you were excluded from lunch orders based on what the OP mentioned above. It makes sense. Its easy to forget about someone if they dont share an office with the group.

Although i dont blame you for feeling hurt. I would be too to be honest. Its kinda rude. But honestly, things change in the office all the time. I would forget about that group and just do your own thing if they dont include you.

Sent from my Galaxy SII

........."Please stand clear of the doors. Por favor, mantengase alejado de las puertas".........

AUGUST "2013" DINING REVIEW / AUGUST "2012" DINING REVIEW
goofyintoronto is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-20-2012, 09:45 PM   #33
mickeysgal
Orange you glad I like Knock Knock jokes?
"I am Mrs. Nesbitt" - Buzz Lightyear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andtototoo View Post
It's an intentional exclusion if the OP has brought it up and asked to be included and they still don't. Especially since they did before and because she still includes them. They're making a choice. That makes it intentional.
I agree. For whatever their reason, they are excluding. I can't imagine someone asking to be included "next time" and then deliberately not asking them. That's not how I am. To me, it's a catty, smug comment to say "you know where my office is".

Sounds like there is some cliquish behavior going on and it's probably magnified and difficult to deal with in a small contained office.

So sorry, OP. Just establish a new norm for yourself alone or with the others that have been excluded. I'd feel hurt too, but remember, friends wouldn't do that to friends. The reality is, it's a job with co-workers, not a social circle. Sometimes it appears friendly, but the bottom line, co-worker alliances change with the wind.
mickeysgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 09:58 PM   #34
Disney Doll
DIS Security Matron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myothername View Post
No, there are actually 4 of them with the same job and 3 share office space. The 4th is our boss. They always ask her. They don't always ask me or my assistant. But when I initiate the lunch order I ALWAYS make sure everyone is included. I think it is just common courtesy. When you have done this for 5 years you get used to including everyone. Maybe it is just my good manners. I never leave anyone out. I am not going to say anything about it to anyone but I know if the tables were turned they would sure say something to me.
Here's what I'd do.

I'd do a lunch order with my assistant. I'd make the offer to the boss.

If one fo the other peole said something to me, I"d probably say "Oh was I supposed to ask everyone? Because lately that hasn't been happening when you guys order lunch so I though the group lunch thing was finished. Assistant and I were talking and just decided to grab lunch from Joe's Pizza. I figurd you guys had your lunch order all set. Ooops".

The key is to say this in a very casual "yeah whatvere this is how I'm roling now" tone.
It's time to put on your big girl panties and deal with it!
Don't be so open-minded that your brains fall out.
There's no pill that cures stupid.
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog.
You are his life, his love, his leader.
He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart.
You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
~~In loving memory of Teddy~~1994-2007~~

Last edited by Disney Doll; 11-20-2012 at 10:07 PM.
Disney  Doll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 10:07 PM   #35
ebtbmom
DIS Veteran

I have a group of 8 in my department, my feelings would be a bit hurt if 4 of them did something for lunch without asking me. Now we don't always do the same thing but everyone is at least asked, so I feel ya! Could you mention it casually, kind of like you miss y'all's lunch dates and see if they'll Bite.
11/2004 1st trip, ASM,11/2006 2nd trip, POP,6/2008 day trip DLR,11/2008 3rd trip, POP,1/2010 DLR at DLH!,1/2011 1st solo POFQ, 11/2011 POR, 3/2012 B-day trip! 10/2012 POP, 6/2013 day trip DLP 11/2013 POP 2/2014 CSR 2nd solo! 10/2014 CBR
ebtbmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 10:16 PM   #36
GusGus77
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by StephMK
Well, maybe I'm sensitive too but I'd be hurt also. If you used to always order, they know you always order too, then it's deliberate behavior to leave you out. It is not that hard to ask a few people if they want in on an order before you call. And it's not always easy to place your own order if there is a minimum delivery amount.

I'm sorry things have changed, OP. Other than trying to directly ask if you ticked them off, I don't think you can do much more than you already have done.
I agree with this. And it IS hard to deal with a negative change like that. Sometimes people start to get cliquey when they are separated off like the new office is. I'm sorry you feel left out. Perhaps eat with your assistant more or do what you did and go out and eat on your own. Keep your head held high and don't give in to the temptation to be catty back to them when these things occur as it would probably be easy to do. Remain civil and cordial to them. Maybe this will pass or maybe not. But for now accept things are different and don't take the burden that it is about you because most likely it is just office dynamics and not you at all.

Hugs!
GusGus77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 07:25 AM   #37
dimimi
DIS Veteran

Quote:
No, there are actually 4 of them with the same job and 3 share office space. The 4th is our boss. They always ask her. They don't always ask me or my assistant. But when I initiate the lunch order I ALWAYS make sure everyone is included. I think it is just common courtesy. When you have done this for 5 years you get used to including everyone. Maybe it is just my good manners. I never leave anyone out. I am not going to say anything about it to anyone but I know if the tables were turned they would sure say something to me.
I agree with you. I would feel left out. I do agree with some of the other posters that you could go in the morning and ask if they are ordering out and ask if you can put in an order. I would also initiate a couple of orders. Good Luck. I guess I am just sensitive too!
Old 11-21-2012, 07:39 AM   #38
Princess Dolly
Unfortunately it encroached the danger zone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disney Doll View Post
Here's what I'd do.

If one fo the other peole said something to me, I"d probably say "Oh was I supposed to ask everyone? Because lately that hasn't been happening when you guys order lunch so I though the group lunch thing was finished. Assistant and I were talking and just decided to grab lunch from Joe's Pizza. I figurd you guys had your lunch order all set. Ooops".

The key is to say this in a very casual "yeah whatvere this is how I'm roling now" tone.
That seems passive aggressive.

As for the situation, I am more of a maverick and probably wouldn't have been participating in the group lunches anway (I have things I need to do during my lunch break) so I probably don't have the best advice. I wouldn't keep asking though. Whatever. Their loss.
Princess Dolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 07:47 AM   #39
Bob NC
DIS Veteran
I am a trained professional
$7.61
Wilma Flintstone can vacuum my floors with a baby elephant anyday!

Quote:
Maybe I am being too sensitive but when you work in a small office and work hard to get along you don’t leave one person out.
Who knows what the prob is? There's 2 sides to everything.

Maybe these 3 for some reason felt the other 3 in the group were ordering lunch from places they weren't crazy about. Rather than mention it, they just decided to separate from the flock.

Maybe these 3 didn't like the way the money to pay for lunches was being handled by the group of 6, and they just decided to fork off on their own.

Maybe, maybe, maybe.....

It could be anything, but, I think you might be taking it a little too personally.

Just look it as ordering lunch, not an earth shattering indication that people that used to like you now hate you with the fierce intensity of a thousand suns.

You say you are easy going and let things run off your back, I think you should let this one go too.
Bob NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 08:51 AM   #40
WDSearcher
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Here's what I'd do.

I don't see how this fixes anything. It's just kind of junior high politics, isn't it? "You didn't ask me, so I didn't ask you, nyah, nyah, nyah." And the whole "playing innocent" thing -- Oh ... I was supposed to ask everyone ... ? > innocent smile, blink, blink <

I don't understand how that puts OP in a better light than the people she's complaining about.

Someone has to be the grown-up here -- no reason why it can't be the OP.

WDSearcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 09:14 AM   #41
focusondisney

I'll need some Boo Boo fun
Oh come on! You didn't even give anyone a chance to follow the rule!

Quote:
And I do initiate lunch as much as anyone else but it seems when I do no one is interested so I let it go. I have decided I will probably just start eating outside the office alot more. We are supposed to do that anyway, company policy and all.
Sorry. I'm going against the majority. I think there is some problem between the coworkers & you. They leave you out of their plans & they don't want to participate in yours. Snippy comments about being left out won't help. I wouldn't push the issue, just be friendy & wait til things blow over.
Old 11-21-2012, 09:41 AM   #42
SC Minnie
Are we there yet???
Buying toilet paper is like flushing money down the toilet.
The folded over ones are the absolute best!!!

We had 7 people that worked in a room. When someone would order out or would want to go out they would ask 'anybody want to go get XXX today' or 'I'm going to XXX anybody want anything'. We had 1 instigator that loved to great drama. For some reason she all of the sudden got mad at me and another woman in here. The instigator would IM 2 others in the group and only those 3 would go out. They would leave the room a few minutes apart and meet up in the parking lot so no one would see them. It was so childish and these 3 really weren't close friends. The one was trying to turn the other 2 against us and since she was the stronger personality they were going along with it. It felt like Jr High in there.

I finally had to let it go. I didn't care if the instigator or really even the other 2 liked me. I am there to do a job not to make life long friends (if that happens its a bonus). But it did change the whole atmosphere in the room and dept. Luckily the instigator got another job (and only have a 1 day notice). We were jumping for joy when she left.
Old 11-21-2012, 10:32 AM   #43
Tigger&Belle
I'm the good girl on the DIS

Snarky is my middle name
So many comments, so many points

Quote:
Originally Posted by StephMK View Post
Well, maybe I'm sensitive too but I'd be hurt also. If you used to always order, they know you always order too, then it's deliberate behavior to leave you out. It is not that hard to ask a few people if they want in on an order before you call. And it's not always easy to place your own order if there is a minimum delivery amount.

I'm sorry things have changed, OP. Other than trying to directly ask if you ticked them off, I don't think you can do much more than you already have done.
I agree....and I would also be hurt. Doesn't mean there's not more going on than meets the eye, but it's hard to control what hurts us. I wouldn't say anything more to them about it, though. If they do sometime include you, that's fine. But don't expect it since they've shown they don't have any intention of including you.

It sounds very cliquish to me.

Quote:
Here's what I'd do.

Passive aggressive and I would not do this. Not that I wouldn't *think* about doing it, however.
Old 11-21-2012, 11:18 AM   #44
Kellydelly
DIS Veteran

I agree that it is rude to order out and not ask everyone in the office if they are interested. There are half a dozen of you not 20 . I would feel a bit hurt too.

Do you volunteer to go pick up the food when they do include you?
Kellydelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 11:35 AM   #45
disykat
DIS Veteran

I don't see anything wrong with the other half of the office deciding to order on their own. My guess is that the half that started ordering first would just think "they finally get it, we want to do separate orders!"

To me, the first group was the passive aggressive one. They should have just said it's more conveninent for them to order with just the three of them.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: