Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-20-2012, 03:46 PM   #1
Myothername
DIS Veteran

Am I too sensitive?

I have had it. I am generally easy going, easy to get along with, nothing ruffles my feathers. But today…well I have had enough. I work in a small office, 6 of us in the office and the rest of the staff are in the field. The 6 of us eat lunch together pretty much every day and I consider us all friends. We joke around, are friends on Facebook together, share recipes, etc. Since this one girl started about 6 months ago and jobs and offices were kinda rearranged (not mine) to make it more convenient for the 3, things have just seemed different. 3 of the employees have the same job and work in the same room together. The other 3 of us each have our own offices, not our choice just different job duties force us to have separate offices. Well a few times the 3 that work together have gotten takeout for lunch and not asked me even though we all eat together and it has been standard practice that if we get takeout we all pretty much get takeout. We generally get takeout 2-3 days a week. It hurt my feelings and I did let them know that next time I wish they would let me know because I really wanted to get something to eat also. Well they did it again today. I happened to walk in to the room where we eat which is also where the copy machine is. I saw they had food and I asked where they got food from? Well it was from a really really good restaurant that I love. I said to the one girl who had placed the order that I wish she had told me they were getting something to eat and said you know where my office is (total of about 10 steps from her office). She said well you know where our office is too. Excuse me but the apparently placed their order an hour earlier, way early for lunch, how was I supposed to know? I didn’t say anything back.

If this had been the first or second time they had done this I would not think much about it but this happens at least once or twice a month. And several times a month I just happen to walk in when they are about to place a lunch order and am able to get my order in with theirs. Maybe I am being too sensitive but when you work in a small office and work hard to get along you don’t leave one person out.
Myothername is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 03:52 PM   #2
brockash
DIS Veteran

Umm, yes you are being really sensitive and should not let something like this bother you. Not trying to be rude, but it is not someone else's job to go around to see what you're having for lunch and ask you if you'd like them to order something for you. You're an adult. If you want take-out from a place, nothing is stopping you from placing your order yourself. They're not your caretaker's.

It's great that you guys used to all do this, but obviously it isn't working any longer. It's really not a big deal. Pick up your phone and order take-out if you want it, but I don't think you have a right to be upset with them for not coming to you to ask if you wanted something. It's not their job and obviously not something they are wanting to do.
Register to remove

Old 11-20-2012, 03:53 PM   #3
Christine
Would love to be able to sit on the couch for a few days, get a good book, and do NOTHING!
Considers the DIS as Bladder Training 101

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myothername View Post
I have had it. I am generally easy going, easy to get along with, nothing ruffles my feathers. But today…well I have had enough. I work in a small office, 6 of us in the office and the rest of the staff are in the field. The 6 of us eat lunch together pretty much every day and I consider us all friends. We joke around, are friends on Facebook together, share recipes, etc. Since this one girl started about 6 months ago and jobs and offices were kinda rearranged (not mine) to make it more convenient for the 3, things have just seemed different. 3 of the employees have the same job and work in the same room together. The other 3 of us each have our own offices, not our choice just different job duties force us to have separate offices. Well a few times the 3 that work together have gotten takeout for lunch and not asked me even though we all eat together and it has been standard practice that if we get takeout we all pretty much get takeout. We generally get takeout 2-3 days a week. It hurt my feelings and I did let them know that next time I wish they would let me know because I really wanted to get something to eat also. Well they did it again today. I happened to walk in to the room where we eat which is also where the copy machine is. I saw they had food and I asked where they got food from? Well it was from a really really good restaurant that I love. I said to the one girl who had placed the order that I wish she had told me they were getting something to eat and said you know where my office is (total of about 10 steps from her office). She said well you know where our office is too. Excuse me but the apparently placed their order an hour earlier, way early for lunch, how was I supposed to know? I didn’t say anything back.

If this had been the first or second time they had done this I would not think much about it but this happens at least once or twice a month. And several times a month I just happen to walk in when they are about to place a lunch order and am able to get my order in with theirs. Maybe I am being too sensitive but when you work in a small office and work hard to get along you don’t leave one person out.
Okay, first it doesn't sound like it is one person being left out--it sounds like the three people who work in the one area are doing things on their own without the other three. You state that the six of you eat together. What do the other two in offices think about this.

Now, if there were only four of you in the office and the three were leaving just you out of things, I would feel hurt. Otherwise, this seems like a simple case of the group of three that sit in one room together are just developing more of camaraderie than the total six of you. Unfortunately, you can't control this type of behavior. It could be that this new girl is doing it because she doesn't have the "history" but who knows. You've said your peace and they didn't get the message. I find it's best, in these situations, to just let it go and realize that this will be the new normal.

I think making a bigger deal of it is going to cause even more devisiveness.

Vacation Home - Indian Creek - July 2012
Vacation Home - Terre Verde Resort - July 2009
Vacation Home - Terre Verde Resort - Easter 2007
Shades of Green - June 2005
Vistana Resort - May 01
Shades of Green - May 99
Shades of Green - Apr 97
CBR & Shades of Green - May 95
Christine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 03:54 PM   #4
OhMari
WDW PreTrip and Trip Moderator

DISboards Moderator

Need a break from work?

Just asking a question, but do you ever ask if they want to order? Or do you take your turn picking up take out?
OhMari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 04:01 PM   #5
Myothername
DIS Veteran

No, there are actually 4 of them with the same job and 3 share office space. The 4th is our boss. They always ask her. They don't always ask me or my assistant. But when I initiate the lunch order I ALWAYS make sure everyone is included. I think it is just common courtesy. When you have done this for 5 years you get used to including everyone. Maybe it is just my good manners. I never leave anyone out. I am not going to say anything about it to anyone but I know if the tables were turned they would sure say something to me.
Old 11-20-2012, 04:04 PM   #6
ilovemk76
DIS Veteran

You are being too sensitive. Pack your lunch and save some money.

You only seem to worry that you ate being left out and not the other two. Why can't the three of you place your own orders.
Old 11-20-2012, 04:05 PM   #7
Christine
Would love to be able to sit on the couch for a few days, get a good book, and do NOTHING!
Considers the DIS as Bladder Training 101

Quote:
No, there are actually 4 of them with the same job and 3 share office space. The 4th is our boss. They always ask her. They don't always ask me or my assistant. But when I initiate the lunch order I ALWAYS make sure everyone is included. I think it is just common courtesy. When you have done this for 5 years you get used to including everyone. Maybe it is just my good manners. I never leave anyone out. I am not going to say anything about it to anyone but I know if the tables were turned they would sure say something to me.
I get what you are saying and understand. However, I don't think it serves any point anymore for you to continue to pursue this with them. You've made two mentions of it and they don't get it. In previous work lives, I've worked for one company for many, many years and the dynamics of interoffice friendships/lunch groups change over time with the addition of different people. Sometimes they get better and sometimes they totally crap out.

I think your "group" has undergone a change and it looks like the people that all sit together are going to be more of a contained lunch unit. I think you just better get used to it. You can push it but I think it will cause further strain.

Vacation Home - Indian Creek - July 2012
Vacation Home - Terre Verde Resort - July 2009
Vacation Home - Terre Verde Resort - Easter 2007
Shades of Green - June 2005
Vistana Resort - May 01
Shades of Green - May 99
Shades of Green - Apr 97
CBR & Shades of Green - May 95
Christine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 04:10 PM   #8
cornflake
DIS Veteran

Quote:
How about just sending an email earlier than they'd order asking if anyone is planning on ordering takeout or asking if anyone wants to order takeout?
cornflake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 04:12 PM   #9
lizabu
DIS Veteran

I agree...you're being too sensitive. They aren't intentionally leaving you out. They just work together and it probably just seems natural to ask someone who's sitting right there if they want to order in too.

Tomorrow order your own lunch from that restaurant you like so much.
lizabu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 04:17 PM   #10
cornflake
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizabu View Post
I agree...you're being too sensitive. They aren't intentionally leaving you out. They just work together and it probably just seems natural to ask someone who's sitting right there if they want to order in too.

Tomorrow order your own lunch from that restaurant you like so much.
I dunno, after repeatedly asking if they'd please let her know and they keep not doing that and then replied with the 'you know where our office is' I think they may well be intentionally leaving her out.

I think it's possible they're not doing it intentionally; I think it's possible they're peeved that she doesn't initiate it and they are; I think it's possible they're just peeved and are for whatever reason.

Whichever though, I think trying to initiate ordering or asking before they order would be the most effective way to subvert what's going on.
cornflake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 04:21 PM   #11
Mokat76
DisKat

So are all five others in on it and you're the only one excluded? Sounds kind of weird, like someone deliberately is stoking some cliquish behavior. Is there some resentment among the three who share a work area toward you who don't? Did two of them lose private offices when the new person got hired? You may have a right to have hurt feelings, but why not have a one-on-one talk with one of the other women--privately-- to find out why this is going on.
Mokat76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 04:23 PM   #12
Hrhpd
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by brockash View Post
Umm, yes you are being really sensitive and should not let something like this bother you. Not trying to be rude, but it is not someone else's job to go around to see what you're having for lunch and ask you if you'd like them to order something for you. You're an adult. If you want take-out from a place, nothing is stopping you from placing your order yourself. They're not your caretaker's.

It's great that you guys used to all do this, but obviously it isn't working any longer. It's really not a big deal. Pick up your phone and order take-out if you want it, but I don't think you have a right to be upset with them for not coming to you to ask if you wanted something. It's not their job and obviously not something they are wanting to do.

And I certainly would not have said anything to the group. As stated above, you are an adult and if you want takeout from the really nice restaurant, pick up your phone and order it.
Hrhpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 04:30 PM   #13
Myothername
DIS Veteran

See our office used to be known within our larger company as a really great office, everyone was very close, good friends, vacationed together. It is not that way anymore. Management changes put that to an end. It is sad because I used to honestly be able to say I would go on vacation with anyone in our office. Now, not so much. I guess now it is just a job and that is sad.

And I do initiate lunch as much as anyone else but it seems when I do no one is interested so I let it go. I have decided I will probably just start eating outside the office alot more. We are supposed to do that anyway, company policy and all.
Old 11-20-2012, 04:32 PM   #14
luvmy3
When I drink I find its easier to watch my children because I see all 3 of them double, so all 6 of them of them take all my attention

OP, what did you end up having for lunch?
luvmy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 04:32 PM   #15
furb & dez
City Bear Jamboreers

Quote:
Originally Posted by brockash View Post

This is the answer. Do we have to bring up the BGP?
Our first trip to WDW! Had fun, a bit disappointed in the lack of things to keep us busy. Next trip: eh, 5 years perhaps? Don't understand the psychosis of wasting time trying to meet actors in fursuits or princess costumes, but, wev...
furb & dez is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: