Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-20-2012, 03:35 PM   #1
katrina1122
Just another Blonde moment in my life. Yay me.

Sandy repairs

So we lost power during Sandy and since we couldn't get to either of our offices and things were closed all week and our house (other than bad food and a broken fence) seemed fine we headed to WDW Wed afternoon rather than Thurs evening

Got power back after 36 hours so my BIL and family came to stay at our house while we were gone. They noticed a few shingles off the garage roof and restocked the fridge some. Noticed nothing else.

Our neighbor took care of our cats and noticed nothing wrong either.

We got home last Tues night to find a weird film all over the hardwood floor in the 2nd floor hallway, thought BIL tried to clean and used the wrong cleaner. Wed night DH goes into our finished attic and notices the wall is pink not white. Looks up and sees pealing paint, bubbling in the plaster in the wall and a huge stain on the hardwood floor. Realizes the roof leaked!

Apparently after BIL left, but before we got home NJ also had a snowstorm, the melt leaked into our roof as Sandy had rolled back a huge chunk of 110 year metal flashing on our roof and we didn't even know it!

Frustrated and bummed about our return from WDW and now a huge hole was no fun, but insurance got someone out right away to tarp it last Friday. They were supposed to start drying out the plaster walls with huge hot air driers Sat/Sun. It's now Tues and we are still playing phone tag with the insurance suggested company to set a date.

Mildew has fully set in and my allergies are taking note. I've had a runny nose all day at work and I know it's from that. I know our damage is small in comparison to many, but is it too much to ask for them to start drying out our walls and ceiling? I'm perfectly willing to wait on repairs, but my asthma needs this done now.

Any tips on how to get this comapny moving since they were directly reccomened by our insurance? Any 'home remedies' for drying plaster in the meantime? I say plaster since our home is 110 years old, there is no drywall involved.

On top of the unexpected roof, turns out we lost a huge portion of our fence and several shingles on the garage roof so they have to be repaired too.

What a shock!
katrina1122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 03:41 PM   #2
cornflake
DIS Veteran

The hot air dryers are basically portable ac type units that blow hot, plus big box and other fans in the area to move air.

If you've got fans and heaters, I'd try that - alternately, try fans, like any you've got, and open the windows all over to get air flowing.
cornflake is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-20-2012, 03:45 PM   #3
ilovemk76
DIS Veteran

There is no drying out of plaster or drywall. They have to be removed. The mold will be on the hidden side and insulation. It will grow and grow. The only way to eradicate it is to treat the studs and sheathing and replace everything else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by katrina1122 View Post
So we lost power during Sandy and since we couldn't get to either of our offices and things were closed all week and our house (other than bad food and a broken fence) seemed fine we headed to WDW Wed afternoon rather than Thurs evening

Got power back after 36 hours so my BIL and family came to stay at our house while we were gone. They noticed a few shingles off the garage roof and restocked the fridge some. Noticed nothing else.

Our neighbor took care of our cats and noticed nothing wrong either.

We got home last Tues night to find a weird film all over the hardwood floor in the 2nd floor hallway, thought BIL tried to clean and used the wrong cleaner. Wed night DH goes into our finished attic and notices the wall is pink not white. Looks up and sees pealing paint, bubbling in the plaster in the wall and a huge stain on the hardwood floor. Realizes the roof leaked!

Apparently after BIL left, but before we got home NJ also had a snowstorm, the melt leaked into our roof as Sandy had rolled back a huge chunk of 110 year metal flashing on our roof and we didn't even know it!

Frustrated and bummed about our return from WDW and now a huge hole was no fun, but insurance got someone out right away to tarp it last Friday. They were supposed to start drying out the plaster walls with huge hot air driers Sat/Sun. It's now Tues and we are still playing phone tag with the insurance suggested company to set a date.

Mildew has fully set in and my allergies are taking note. I've had a runny nose all day at work and I know it's from that. I know our damage is small in comparison to many, but is it too much to ask for them to start drying out our walls and ceiling? I'm perfectly willing to wait on repairs, but my asthma needs this done now.

Any tips on how to get this comapny moving since they were directly reccomened by our insurance? Any 'home remedies' for drying plaster in the meantime? I say plaster since our home is 110 years old, there is no drywall involved.

On top of the unexpected roof, turns out we lost a huge portion of our fence and several shingles on the garage roof so they have to be repaired too.

What a shock!
Old 11-20-2012, 03:45 PM   #4
katrina1122

We have 2 very small space heaters, but no fans as everyroom (expcept the hallways where the problem is) have ceiling fans.

The small space heaters do rotate back and forth like fans, I guess I could aim that at the walls.
Old 11-20-2012, 03:50 PM   #5
cornflake
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemk76 View Post
There is no drying out of plaster or drywall. They have to be removed. The mold will be on the hidden side and insulation. It will grow and grow. The only way to eradicate it is to treat the studs and sheathing and replace everything else.
This is completely untrue. Drywall you might as well remove, though you may dry it, but plaster will dry. You often CANNOT 'remove' it unless you're taking apart the building. If it's been sitting and sitting and the structure is damaged if it's completely through maybe, but even for bad leaks, plaster is dried in exactly the way the OP's ins. company recommended.

OP - it'll dry. Maybe go buy a couple big box fans (they're cheap, like $15/20), and stick them in the space with the heaters. They don't necessarily have to be aimed at the area, you want air moving, though you could aim the heaters.
Old 11-20-2012, 03:52 PM   #6
Robbi
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I agree with this especially since the water has sat in the drywall for a while. Get a contractor or someone else to remove a piece to check it. If it has seeped in, the only solution is to replace it. I would also call the insurance company and demand this be covered. Let them know the workers have not shown up yet as well.
Robbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 05:45 AM   #7
Aliceacc
We had a wonderful time, but did have our moments!

Pretty much down to my hips on one side, but nice and perky on the other

No advice, but my sincere sympathies. We also had to have our roof replaced as a result of the storm. We had it tarped before the nor'easter, and the roofer was able to squeeze us in 2 days ago.

I would be very surprised if the others here are wrong-- everyone I know who had significant water has torn down their walls and bleached the studs to prevent mold.

I've been BOO'ed by pigletgirl!
numerous trips in college and one together in 1990 August 2008 and August 2009: Polynesian. August 2012: Beach Club Yacht Club in 2014!!
(Thanks, Disney Destinations, for your past generosity. And to the Beach Club staff for all their assistance in our 2012 medical crisis.)
Aliceacc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 06:27 AM   #8
cornflake
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aliceacc View Post
No advice, but my sincere sympathies. We also had to have our roof replaced as a result of the storm. We had it tarped before the nor'easter, and the roofer was able to squeeze us in 2 days ago.

I would be very surprised if the others here are wrong-- everyone I know who had significant water has torn down their walls and bleached the studs to prevent mold.
Everyone else is talking about drywall. Removing a piece, the 'back' of the wall, insulation getting wet - that's about drywall. The OP doesn't have drywall.
Old 11-21-2012, 06:48 AM   #9
aprilgail2
Ikea- Swedish for CRAP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aliceacc View Post

That is for drywall- we have been doing it on a volunteer clean up crew since the storm- never ran into a house with a plaster wall-not even sure what that is, everyone has sheetrock here. Mold was present very quickly in the insulation and sheetrock after the storm-by last week all the insulation we were pulling out of walls was full of mold!
Old 11-21-2012, 09:16 AM   #10
ilovemk76
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cornflake View Post
Everyone else is talking about drywall. Removing a piece, the 'back' of the wall, insulation getting wet - that's about drywall. The OP doesn't have drywall.
Plaster and the insulation behind it can GROW MOLD!!!! Get over your know-it-all self.

She needs to eradicate the mold because it is aggivating her asthma. The only way to get rid of the mold is to get rid of the moisture, insulation can take month to dry behind a wall, and clean the mold. How are box fans going to do that!!!!

Drywall has been around for 100 years. Many who think they have plaster do not!
Old 11-21-2012, 09:54 AM   #11
katrina1122

Quote:
Plaster and the insulation behind it can GROW MOLD!!!! Get over your know-it-all self.

She needs to eradicate the mold because it is aggivating her asthma. The only way to get rid of the mold is to get rid of the moisture, insulation can take month to dry behind a wall, and clean the mold. How are box fans going to do that!!!!

Drywall has been around for 100 years. Many who think they have plaster do not!
Actually, it IS Plaster. We have had other repairs done over the years and all agree we have plaster. Plus, we know because we've tried to hang pictures. In some places the plaster is so old it just cracks and you can hear it drop all the way to the floor below. Wallboard does not do that. Also, there isn't really any insulation in the walls. The house has a brick exterior and is pretty much the only insulation unless repairs have been done and someone has gone back and it put it in.

It's not mold bothering me, it's mildew.

As to it getting fixed, a miracle happened and we got a hold of them last night! They are there right now. Cutting out really bad portions of the plaster and poking holes to heat the rest from within to start. Then there will be anti-microbial treatments, patching, sealing and replastering of bad spots, then more anti-microbial and finally painting. The floors will probably have to be sanded and restained as the white film on them is not coming up. They also checked for lead paint and thankfully we don't have that (in these areas anyway).
Old 11-21-2012, 11:20 AM   #12
ilovemk76
DIS Veteran

I am glad they came out.

The point I was making to CF is just using box fans does not do the job. Thy did cut out som area and are treating the wood. You do not have insulation, so that is a plus. Many blow in insulation in old brick homes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by katrina1122 View Post
Actually, it IS Plaster. We have had other repairs done over the years and all agree we have plaster. Plus, we know because we've tried to hang pictures. In some places the plaster is so old it just cracks and you can hear it drop all the way to the floor below. Wallboard does not do that. Also, there isn't really any insulation in the walls. The house has a brick exterior and is pretty much the only insulation unless repairs have been done and someone has gone back and it put it in.

It's not mold bothering me, it's mildew.

As to it getting fixed, a miracle happened and we got a hold of them last night! They are there right now. Cutting out really bad portions of the plaster and poking holes to heat the rest from within to start. Then there will be anti-microbial treatments, patching, sealing and replastering of bad spots, then more anti-microbial and finally painting. The floors will probably have to be sanded and restained as the white film on them is not coming up. They also checked for lead paint and thankfully we don't have that (in these areas anyway).
Old 11-21-2012, 12:56 PM   #13
LBAK
DIS Veteran
The girl at our KFC drive thru calls me mommy all the time.

I have plaster walls and thanks to Sandy I will now have drywall. The plaster did get wet, the contractor took a section out down to the lath and the insulation had mold growing. It will be labor intensive but on the bright side I will get to hang things on the wall without worrying about it chipping and cracking and without using mollies and anchors all the time. There are quite a few old houses here on LI with plaster walls.
LBAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 02:19 PM   #14
cornflake
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I am glad they came out.

The point I was making to CF is just using box fans does not do the job. Thy did cut out som area and are treating the wood. You do not have insulation, so that is a plus. Many blow in insulation in old brick homes.
There isn't wood. There is no 'behind the wall.' There isn't insulation blown in, that's not how plaster walls work. The insulation is generally stuff like horse hair if it exists (if it's newspaper, there may be a problem). It's. PLASTER.

Using heaters and fans does do the job, that's what you do. As I said above, yes, if it's really bad and has sat, which in this case and the other poster's, some pieces had to be removed. In general, this is what you do - it's not drywall, the response isn't the same.

OP - Yay they came and started.
Old 11-21-2012, 02:29 PM   #15
msjprincess
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cornflake View Post
There isn't wood. There is no 'behind the wall.' There isn't insulation blown in, that's not how plaster walls work. The insulation is generally stuff like horse hair if it exists (if it's newspaper, there may be a problem). It's. PLASTER.

Using heaters and fans does do the job, that's what you do. As I said above, yes, if it's really bad and has sat, which in this case and the other poster's, some pieces had to be removed. In general, this is what you do - it's not drywall, the response isn't the same.

OP - Yay they came and started.
What do you mean there is no wood? Are you saying there is no wood lath behind the plaster?
msjprincess is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: