Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-20-2012, 02:27 PM   #1
pershing
DIS Veteran

Bears Repeating-If You Pay With Disney GC, Keep Them for a Year!

I was cleaning out a drawer today and came across a stack of Disney Gift Cards. Don't know which cruise or trip they were from so I sat down at the computer and went to disneygiftcard.com and started checking balances.

I expected all of them to be zero and they all were...except one that HAD been zeroed out in '11 and then refilled with $25.60 .

Refilled in 2/12- now we sailed in 4/12 and 4/11 so I have no idea why a Disney Gift Card would be re-credited $25.60 in 2/12?? I'm either paid in full for the next cruise or it's been 3/4 of a year since the last cruise. No traveling in between.

Well, I just put it on 4/13's cruise.

Moral of the story: Save Your Disney Gift Cards for at Least a YEAR and don't throw them out until you check the balances.

Anyone else have weird credits like this?

Sue
01/02/14-01/05/14 Disney Magic 04/13/13 - 04/20/13 Disney Fantasy 04/19/12 - 04/22/12 Disney Dream 04/17/11 - 04/21/11 Disney Dream 05/10/09 - 05/14/09 Disney Wonder 04/14/07 - 04/21/07 Disney Magic 01/15/05 - 01/22/05 Disney Magic 11/13/03 - 11/16/03 Disney Wonder
pershing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 02:51 PM   #2
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

Did you use that GC for cruise payments?

I know that between booking our Feb cruise and paying for it, there had been some sort of adjustment in taxes (so the TA said), so we would have paid less than expected when doing the final payment. (if we hadn't upgraded ourselves, LOL)

Could it have been a credit for that sort of thing, put back onto the method of payment?

DLR '05-'09 found within this link
DLR 7,9,12 2012 Universal Feb '12 DLR Dec '11 and Feb '12

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently working to maintain 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!
bumbershoot is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-20-2012, 03:15 PM   #3
pershing
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumbershoot View Post
Did you use that GC for cruise payments?

I know that between booking our Feb cruise and paying for it, there had been some sort of adjustment in taxes (so the TA said), so we would have paid less than expected when doing the final payment. (if we hadn't upgraded ourselves, LOL)

Could it have been a credit for that sort of thing, put back onto the method of payment?
I guess so but I've never had a tax adjustment before. However you hit the nail on the head with 'being put back onto the method of payment. I use Disney Gift Cards for all my trips and only checked the balances today because other posters had warned about refunds being put back on Disney Gift Cards and not the listed credit or debit card on your cruise.

I just checked my 12/12 expiring Disney Redemption Card for Disney Rewards (Chase) and there is $6.21 on that even though I had written' ZEROED OUT' in big black marker across it! Too weird!

It's not like I'm lacksadaisical (don't know how to spell that!) about this stuff! I keep lists of payments, how, when, where I used Disney GC's etc. I save my statements from my cruises. Write the balances on the card with the aforementioned black marker.

I know it gets hectic when you're on the cruise or in the parks pulling out these Gift Cards. However, this card was zeroed out and then months later was credited back.

I did use a credit card for a portion of both cruises. Why would DCL decide to pick one random GC used for payment to reimburse the taxes?? Instead of just charging back the credit card? It's weird!

Sue
01/02/14-01/05/14 Disney Magic 04/13/13 - 04/20/13 Disney Fantasy 04/19/12 - 04/22/12 Disney Dream 04/17/11 - 04/21/11 Disney Dream 05/10/09 - 05/14/09 Disney Wonder 04/14/07 - 04/21/07 Disney Magic 01/15/05 - 01/22/05 Disney Magic 11/13/03 - 11/16/03 Disney Wonder
pershing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 04:48 PM   #4
smootenloopers
Works to Support Cruise Habit

Quote:
Originally Posted by pershing View Post
I guess so but I've never had a tax adjustment before. However you hit the nail on the head with 'being put back onto the method of payment. I use Disney Gift Cards for all my trips and only checked the balances today because other posters had warned about refunds being put back on Disney Gift Cards and not the listed credit or debit card on your cruise.

I just checked my 12/12 expiring Disney Redemption Card for Disney Rewards (Chase) and there is $6.21 on that even though I had written' ZEROED OUT' in big black marker across it! Too weird!

It's not like I'm lacksadaisical (don't know how to spell that!) about this stuff! I keep lists of payments, how, when, where I used Disney GC's etc. I save my statements from my cruises. Write the balances on the card with the aforementioned black marker.

I know it gets hectic when you're on the cruise or in the parks pulling out these Gift Cards. However, this card was zeroed out and then months later was credited back.

I did use a credit card for a portion of both cruises. Why would DCL decide to pick one random GC used for payment to reimburse the taxes?? Instead of just charging back the credit card? It's weird!
I asked them about this once when they refunded my transportation charge (when I cancelled DCL transfers) back to two different credit cards and a Visa gift card I no longer had.

I'd received the Visa card for Christmas and just applied it to my cruise balance. The deposit happened to go on one card and the final payment on another. So, a portion of the $70-ish refund when to each of these.

Rather than refund to the most recently used method (which I think would make more sense...what if an account had been closed?), they refund "proportionately" to each method of payment. I complained since I lost the portion returned to the gift card as I had long since disposed of it. Never got that $ back.
Old 11-20-2012, 04:57 PM   #5
lilpooh108
DIS Veteran

For my Dec 2010 cruise, I randomly got back about $25 for each room. I believe it was the fuel charge? I posted the same question at that time on DIS and that's what someone said.

Thanks for the reminder though. We're paying off our Med cruise soon with all gift cards and it will sure be fun to sort through all 40 of them to figure out if I ever got a refund
lilpooh108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 05:00 PM   #6
amyg1
Mouseketeer

How did you check your card balances?
amyg1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 05:37 PM   #7
joyjanet
Melbourne FL

Quote:
Originally Posted by amyg1 View Post
How did you check your card balances?
You call the number on the back of card and it will walk you through. I tried doing it online but they want you to type in words that they provide you in the box and half the time I can't read them. I have a stack of cards that I used and am keeping them also. I checked them the other day and had a few dollars on one of them.
joyjanet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 06:57 PM   #8
MKwatercraftPilot
Earning My Ears

Something similar happened to me, except I didn't use gift cards to pay for my trip, I used my Discover card (5% cash back).

I was randomly checking my statement and noticed that they credited something like $4.31 back to my credit card.

It was nice to see, but it would be nicer if they sent you an email or something, that way if you did use a gift card or something, you would know that you had been credited.

I will be using Disney gift cards for my on-board account, though, because I got a "5% off your purchase" coupon in the mail from Target, and got another 5% off when I used my Target Card.
MKwatercraftPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 07:21 PM   #9
MrsPotatoHead425
Mouseketeer

I actually spent quite a while today on the phone with Disney trying to figure out about gift cards.. we buy $25 Disney gift cards here and there, and use them to pay for our cruise (so you can imagine, that's a lot of cards stacked up) which I do keep them all (just because their cute and my DH says i'm a hoarder!) so when i inquired today about canceling our cruise to get an GTY rate a week before the cruise we have booked (since you can't just transfer over to that) she informed me that my refund will be put back on each and every single card.... FINALLY after lots of conversing back and forth and with supervisors, they are now saying they can just transfer over the money we've already paid in if we decide to go that route and go through with it. I expected to just get a disney gift card sent to me or it put on the last one i used, so i was a little caught off guard.

Disney Magic - 02.05.13
Disney Magic - 05.18.12
MrsPotatoHead425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 09:37 AM   #10
pillow
DIS Veteran

This is great information. Thanks so much. I will definitely keep used cards for a year after reading this thread.

Jodie
pillow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 09:42 AM   #11
DisneyOHFan
Livin' for Disney

We only use GF to pay for our cruises and I right the reservation # on the back of each one so I can keep track. Once your cruise is paid in full, you will occasionally get a refund if the port/taxes are reduced, you will get a refund. You just need to call DCL and they will tell you the last 4 digits of the card # that was given the credit. We then take that card and apply it toward our onboard account.
DisneyOHFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 09:31 AM   #12
MaleficentRN
DIS Veteran

Thanks got the reminder! Checked the cards I used to pay off my May 2011 cruise with and had $20 and change on one!

MaleficentRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 12:35 PM   #13
dizneekrazee
Fullfilling my bucket list, one vacation at a time....

Thanks for this. I use the gift cards whenever we go to Disneyland, but it is always for food/merchandise, never used one to book a stay. However, I have already planned to book a cruise with a gift card, so I will just load up the max amount on 2 cards and pay it that way. Will get another card for onboard.

DLR-Many times!!WDWTBD DCLfingers crossed for 10/15
Walt Disney Family Museum 3/12Club 33 8/12, 5/13, 8/13Pixar Animation Studios 1/13Aulani 4/13Walt's Apartment 5/13
dizneekrazee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 08:57 PM   #14
Dzhenna
Planner Extraordinaire

I'm confused. What advantage is there to paying for a cruise with gift cards? Do you get them as birthday presents, for example, and want to use them?
Dzhenna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 09:32 PM   #15
peachygreen
DIS Veteran

On our last cruise, I paid the deposit with one credit card, used gift cards when I moved the cruise to increase the deposit, and paid the balance with a different CC. Port Taxes were refunded for that cruise and went to one of the gift cards (the middle payment). Quite odd. I called and complained just because it seems like they want to put the money on gift card even when it doesn't make sense to do so because they know that not everyone will keep them.

I keep a spreadsheet with all the GC #'s, pins, date original balance and date used so that I can check and run the cards every 6 months. I also keep them in an envelope by event and label the envelope so I know what it was for.

As for why to use gift cards. If you buy gift card at the grocery store you can get reward points to use for things like fuel discounts. I also buy gift cards when I have extra money at the end of a month or grocery trip from the budget to add to the vacation fund. If I am saving for a cruise its nice to just add it that way.

Family Trips to see the Mouse: WDW - October 2008, Nov 2012; DLR - May 2009, Oct 2012; DCL Magic - February 2011; DCL Magic - July 2012; DCL Fantasy - March 2013 Upcoming DCL - Wonder June 2014
peachygreen is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: