Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > The DIS Unplugged Podcast
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-21-2012, 11:42 AM   #16
collins316
Mouseketeer

If we go to what is traditional- no one used to say anything till the day of,,, maybe Christmas Eve. Nothing started a month and a half early. If people weren’t bombarded with the greeting for that long, it wouldn’t be that big of a deal.
To those that are offended by the Merry Christmas greeting- No one means any offence by it, they are trying to be polite. (but I have had someone get mad that I said God Bless you when they sneezed)
I do agree that it is more than just the strictly religious salutation. It is a work holiday for most non-essential employees. I've never had anyone want to come in to work that day because they weren’t Christian.
Old 11-21-2012, 01:48 PM   #17
JVL1018
Forever Mickey's daughter
I hate stickers on fruit, it skeeves me.
If someone doesn't like it, tough noogies
"Nakey Boy to the rescue!!!"

I did a quick google search, and saw that the last numbers I found (Gallup poll from 2008 or 2010) were about 93% of Americans celebrate Christmas, so it is the vast majority.

People who celebrate Kwanzaa can celebrate Christmas, too..

That said, I wouldn't say Merry Christmas to my friends who I know are Jewish..but I don't think any of them would get offended if someone who did not know them said it in passing.

You can say Happy Hanukkah to me, it doesn't hurt me.

JVL1018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 01:57 PM   #18
kgibbler20
Mouseketeer

I work for a company run by a Jewish man who encourages us to say Merry Christmas. He wears a bell when he visits stores to mark the time of year. If it is obvious someone is Jewish I'm not gonna walk up and say Merry Christmas, I would say Happy Hanukkah, but I celebrate Christmas and that's what I'll say. In 15+ years in retail the most complaints I have heard are over the generic Happy Holidays and I get a cheery response when I say Merry Christmas.
6/05 - First Trip 12/06 - Merry Christmas 11/07 - Mom's suprise!! & SSW October 23 - November 4, 2008 - 3 days at sea, 10 days on land... Halloween Here We Come!!3/09 & 7/09 - Short visits with a friend... 10/09 - finally became a resident now at least monthly visits

kgibbler20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 02:14 PM   #19
topolino
I don't mean those kind of gestures!
Not everything we eat needs to be healthy. Live a little!

I don't want to speak for Pete, and I haven't heard the rant, but usually when someone uses the expression, "99.9%", they are engaging in hyperbole, that is, exaggerating to make a point. My guess is that Pete knows that the figure is significantly less than 99.9%
topolino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 02:16 PM   #20
roomthreeseventeen
Inaugural Dopey Challenge finisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by topolino View Post
I don't want to speak for Pete, and I haven't heard the rant, but usually when someone uses the expression, "99.9%", they are engaging in hyperbole, that is, exaggerating to make a point. My guess is that Pete knows that the figure is significantly less than 99.9%
Yeah, I realized. =)
AKL (marathon weekend) and ... AKL (Wine and Dine)
2013 Fort Wilderness 2014 Dopey Challenge AKL
2015 Dopey Challenge at POR!

roomthreeseventeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 02:21 PM   #21
topolino
I don't mean those kind of gestures!
Not everything we eat needs to be healthy. Live a little!

I used to get all bent out of shape when people said, "Happy Holidays" instead of "Merry Christmas", but as I get older I let things bother me less and less. The way I look at it is that "Happy Holidays" is a nice greeting, and considering the nasty things people say to each other during the year, I'll take, "Happy Holidays" any day.
topolino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 03:29 PM   #22
zulemara
Oh Boy! I'm a WDW sailor!
Had a Thriller of a time on the Wonder

I let others take the lead, specifically if working in an area where there is a lot of public contact. I am usually not the one to initiate the greeting. If they say happy holidays, I repeat it back. If they say Merry Xmas I repeat it back. If they say happy Hanukkah I say it back.

No matter what is said, this time of the year is supposed to be indicative of family and helping others. Personally I don't really care or have any strong conviction about if it should be Christmas or not or what people say.

Now what I DO have a strong conviction about despite my personal non religious stance, is the mob mentality consumerism that has literally caused death! Furthermore, after being told many times working for The Company Store that I "ruined Xmas for ____ because the present was late" I have become almost anti-gifts. People should be thankful to get ANYTHING at all even if it's late and not under the tree Xmas day and that especially goes for children. So when I see this mass consumerism going on, it kind of irks me. My mom had a brain aneurysm last October(a year ago) and they discovered a brain tumor which was removed in June. We're just thankful to have her around and that's what should be emphasized. Maybe people who are so offended about what the season gets called(the ones who started this whole anti Marry Christmas thing) should get up at 3 am on the day after Thanksgiving and start writing personally written notes to the loved ones they have left expressing their happiness at the time they get to spend with them instead of in line to buy a laptop for 100 dollars.

This is not a target to what Pete was saying on the show because I think Pete was saying he is annoyed that people get offended if you say Merry Christmas to them. I agree, I don't think people should be offended over WHAT is said, but rather should be offended over the actions people take this time of year.

I'm Sorry to hijack, but had to speak my mind on that.

zulemara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 03:39 PM   #23
DisneyDaddy-O
Dis Dads Club Member #286
I'm sure those driving beside me thought I was nuts

Quote:
Originally Posted by zulemara
I let others take the lead, specifically if working in an area where there is a lot of public contact. I am usually not the one to initiate the greeting. If they say happy holidays, I repeat it back. If they say Merry Xmas I repeat it back. If they say happy Hanukkah I say it back.

No matter what is said, this time of the year is supposed to be indicative of family and helping others. Personally I don't really care or have any strong conviction about if it should be Christmas or not or what people say.

Now what I DO have a strong conviction about despite my personal non religious stance, is the mob mentality consumerism that has literally caused death! Furthermore, after being told many times working for The Company Store that I "ruined Xmas for ____ because the present was late" I have become almost anti-gifts. People should be thankful to get ANYTHING at all even if it's late and not under the tree Xmas day and that especially goes for children. So when I see this mass consumerism going on, it kind of irks me. My mom had a brain aneurysm last October(a year ago) and they discovered a brain tumor which was removed in June. We're just thankful to have her around and that's what should be emphasized. Maybe people who are so offended about what the season gets called(the ones who started this whole anti Marry Christmas thing) should get up at 3 am on the day after Thanksgiving and start writing personally written notes to the loved ones they have left expressing their happiness at the time they get to spend with them instead of in line to buy a laptop for 100 dollars.

This is not a target to what Pete was saying on the show because I think Pete was saying he is annoyed that people get offended if you say Merry Christmas to them. I agree, I don't think people should be offended over WHAT is said, but rather should be offended over the actions people take this time of year.

I'm Sorry to hijack, but had to speak my mind on that.
I also get offended when people say Xmas instead of Christmas....you just ruined my Holiday season.

This is a joke BTW.

Oct 97 CBR Disney Honeymoon, Jan 06 AS Sports First Family Vacation, Jan 07 POR Jan 08 POP, Jan 09 POR, Jan 10 POR, AUG 10 POP, JAN 11 POR, AUG 11 POP,
AUG 12 ASM,CSR,SSR,POR(yep all 4),OCT 13 POR First Halloween Party and Food & Wine
,OCT 14 POR
DisneyDaddy-O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 08:19 PM   #24
sayhello
Have Camera, Will Travel

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mytripsandraces View Post
But the phrase isn't about the person saying it, is it? It's about the person they're speaking to. I haven't heard the podcast yet, but I've heard people say that because they celebrate Christmas, they're going to say Merry Christmas. If I'm wishing someone a happy birthday, I say it to them on their birthday, not mine. If I'm speaking to a Jewish person and I say Happy Chanukah or Happy Holidays, it's because that's what I wish for them, not me. I would say Happy Holidays if I didn't know which holiday they celebrate, but I would most certainly say Happy Chanukah if that's what I knew they were celebrating. I believe most of my friends know that I celebrate Christmas and say Merry Christmas, but I wouldn't be offended if they said Happy Holidays. I'd be happy that they were sending me good will.

Sayhello
NOW POSTING! My DIS Unplugged London/Paris/Disneyland Paris Trip Report! (2011)
Now posting my Greek Odyssey Trip Report (2013)

sayhello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 03:30 PM   #25
Justin Jett
I will do my Elvis impression at DAP, if Kevin will do a duet with me
I'm signed up and ready to go

Personally, I do not believe Political Correctness. I feel that it is way out of hand in this country.
Old 11-23-2012, 06:35 PM   #26
MomofKatie
Maybe if you leave some chocolate under your pillow the Tag Fairy will visit you!
In the second grade I looked like a mini senior citizen!
"Dairy World?" "Fairy World." "OH, DARN IT!!!"

I am an agnostic with atheist leanings. I celebrate Christmas not as a religious holiday but a nice, family-getting-together time with gifts thrown in. I am not offended or upset at all when people wish me Happy Holidays, Merry Christmas, Happy Hannukah, or anything else. It is just a greeting and darn nice of another person to wish me well at this time of year. Whatever is said to me, I say back and don't think anything of it. I tend to think most people aren't thinking of Jesus every time they toss out a "Merry Christmas" during the holiday season.

I am more irked by cashiers telling me (mostly at non-holiday times of year), "Have a blessed day" or some other derivative of, "Hey, I'm assuming we are all Protestant Christians". I don't scowl or tell them off, but I don't say thank you or repeat it back to them.

Maybe it's a regional thing- I am living in the heart of the Bible Belt, afterall, but it seems people around here get really bent out of shape about the whole "Happy Holidays" vs "Merry Christmas" thing.
MomofKatie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 11:10 PM   #27
kaligal
DIS Veteran

I think Pete was exaggerating. He was just on a roll and trying to make a point.

I agree with the general gist of the rant even if the statistics were not 100% (or 99.9% ) accurate.

I quit shopping in the stores because they stopped looking truly Christmassy and because the staff is unpleasant. It used to be fun, but no longer is. Might as well do it online where it is nice, comfy, warm and dry.
Fantasmic sucks.
kaligal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 11:45 AM   #28
Yahweh
Mouseketeer

In my opinion people who are passionate about the Merry Christmas vs. Happy Holidays debate use it as a means to include some and exclude others. Both sides of the debate do this. Those who think that Christmas belongs only to them and people who believe like they do, in part, do so to promote an identity based upon exclusion. It is in no small part, a reaction to a real or perceived threat to the power of the included.

The irony is that Christmas is about strength and hope flowing from position of weakness. It promotes empowerment rather than overpowerment. From a Christian point of view, I don't feel the need to fight for a place of power or majority within the society, but rather stand with those who don't have a voice during the holiday season.

The people passionate about not allowing others to say merry Christmas is equally problematic to me. For beliefs matter. I believe we need to respect Christians rights t wish others a merry Christmas. At the same time respect Jews the right to say Happy Hanukkah. Agnostics and Atheist deserve respect as well, and have a right to a voice. I am thrilled when people of no-religous affiliation are fighting for many of the same things I am. The promotion of Science and Evolution, Gay rights, taking care of the poor etc.

There is something universal in Christmas that appeals to the better of our human selves. It too often gets lost in these pointless arguments which seek to divide people.
Yahweh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 09:18 PM   #29
EastYorkDisneyFan
DIS Veteran

If you ever go see the Trans Siberian Orchestra during their winter tour you will here them wishing you a merry Christmas many times over and the never say Happy Holidays

You can dream, create, design and build the most wonderful place in the world, but it takes people to make the dream a reality.
- Walt Disney
EastYorkDisneyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 05:56 PM   #30
LionKingRules84
Mouseketeer

I don't care what you celebrate but if you go out of your way to say something nice to me I'll most likely repeat the greeting back.

I mainly use Happy Holidays or Season's Greetings since I know a bunch of different people that celebrate different things and it's an easy way to include everyone as oppose to saying a long line of every greeting. I always saw it as simplification not really political correctness but then that's just me.

CR 1986
CBR October 1991
CBR October 1994
CSR September 2007 13 years is much too long trip report!
DIS Unplugged Exclusive Knights and Lights ABD October 2012
Swan August 2013 & DIS Cruise 1.0 on RCCL Oasis
LionKingRules84 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: