Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-20-2012, 06:30 PM   #31
JessicaR
DIS Veteran
I wanna shoot aliens in the AM too!
The Grinch is rude in a funny sorta way
run to the hams!

Quote:
Originally Posted by crashbb View Post
Then why come forward with the allegations? If you aren't willing to go through with the trial (which I can understand), why go public with allegations? Doing so and then accepting money to "go away" does make one look like they were just out for money. Not necessarily true, but it does give that appearance.
I'm not so sure about the first accuser by this second one is a doozie. He wasn't sure he was affected until recently (yeah like a few days ago when this became news). But, $5 million should make him feel better.
JessicaR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 06:36 PM   #32
Jennasis
It's a miracle! I stayed awake during the El Rio Del Tiempo ride!
Let's not even TOUCH the whole Dog vs. dawg vs. Dowg thing!
PLINKO baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by crashbb View Post
Then why come forward with the allegations? If you aren't willing to go through with the trial (which I can understand), why go public with allegations? Doing so and then accepting money to "go away" does make one look like they were just out for money. Not necessarily true, but it does give that appearance.
I'll be blunt...if the guy who molested me as a child turned out to be a millionaire 10+ years later, you are DARN SKIPPY that I, as an adult, would feel WHOLLY justified in going after his money. Can't bring my childhood back. Can't fix the scars on the inside. But a couple of million bucks seems fair for the trauma. Plus, there is the added bonus of ruining his reputation and career.
Register to remove

Old 11-20-2012, 06:37 PM   #33
mjantz
DIS Veteran

One thing that popped into my head (& it makes me sad) is that this is probably going to provide some people fodder for their belief that gay people are pedophiles.
mjantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 07:06 PM   #34
kate_wdw
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireDancer View Post
I'm always a little skeptical of single accusations against celebrities but, much like good old MJ, once any type of payoff is made I instantly believe the accuser.

No way would anyone who is innocent of molesting children pay to make it go away, not even if it is cheaper than fighting it. No one will ever convince me otherwise.
I think there are many reasons why an innocent person would pay to make sexual abuse allegations go away. Sexual abuse allegations often come down to who is deemed to be more credible by the judge or jury, and minors (or people who claim to have been abused as minors) are automatically more sympathetic than those who are accused of sexual abuse. Also, sexual offenders are treated differently than most types of criminals (being listed on publicly available sex offender registries, being required to notify neighbors, being barred from seeking many types of jobs, being treated as someone who is forever deviant as opposed to someone who made a mistake [like many other criminals], etc). Even if an innocent person goes to trial and is found not guilty, there will still be that association there and doubt planted in many people's minds.

For an innocent person to face these types of consequences would be terrifying, and I can see why people would do anything possible to avoid going to trial (which would mean publicity and being forever associated with the allegations) or being convicted of a crime they didn't commit.
Old 11-20-2012, 10:12 PM   #35
Callie
Always Dreaming of Disney Magic

The second guy sounds fishy....he had his lawyer release a modeling head shot with his statement!
Old 11-21-2012, 08:08 AM   #36
Gorechick
DIS Veteran

Whether you like Elmo or not, Kevin Clash created a character that has brought so much joy to children all over the world. He sacrificed time with his own family to honor commitments to Sesame Street and tour around the world with Elmo. He often visited hospitals and had Make a wish children come to the SS set to meet Elmo. The situation is unfortunate for all involved.
DTD-Courtyard by Marriott August 1997
Wilderness Lodge Honeymoon August 2002
Port Orleans- French Quarter Anniversary (AND Hurricane Charley) August 2004
Port Orleans- Riverside Royal Room- 10th Anniversary and First Trip with Twins August 2012
DS's WISH trip - Hopefully Aulani Resort! Summer 2015

Me (44) DH (40) DS (9) DD (9)

Waiting impatiently for our next family WDW trip!
Gorechick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 08:33 AM   #37
JimPGH
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShesAPirate

This is a sad situation all around, but I totally agree -- never liked Elmo, or the way he basically took over Sesame Street, pushing all the other (better) characters aside.
I felt the same way about Elmo. Last half hour was all Elmo! Luckily DD was scared of him. That and the fact that everyone can see Snuffy, I'd rather watch that awful Little Bear.
JimPGH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 09:00 AM   #38
FlightlessDuck
Pluto's personal nose scratcher
Dumb people spoiling my fun makes me a sad Panda

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjantz View Post
One thing that popped into my head (& it makes me sad) is that this is probably going to provide some people fodder for their belief that gay people are pedophiles.
Technically, attraction to teeneagers isn't pedophilia, it's ephebophilia.

'87: Off Site, '94: GF, '02: FWC, '06: POP, '09: CSR, '10: POP, '12: CSR
FlightlessDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 09:13 AM   #39
pacrosby
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireDancer View Post
Exactly.

I could see them taking it to avoid the embarrassment of having to recall the horror of the encounter in the public or a parent doing it so their child doesn't have to go through the humiliation of the same.

The other side, no way. I can't see any scenario where an intelligent person would believe anyone would pay money to make a false accusation of child rape go away.
People can feel free to disagree but I think anyone who believes, for example, the MJ didn't rape children is about as dumb as they come.
IMO your bolded statement reveals a very strong bias on your part. A trial would have been nothing but month after month after month of he said/she said. One person's, a child's, word against another, an eccentric pop icon. MJ already had an everincreasing number of people who thought he was wierd and getting wierder everyday. No matter what the outcome people would have believed what they wanted to believe. I suspect that if he was found not guilty you'd still be saying the same thing.

And I think it's important to remember that pedophilia is not a passing fancy, if you're attracted to children you're attracted to children. So with with the hundreds of children MJ kept company with over the years, often in the privacy of his own home, there would surely be boatloads of adults now coming forward to say "yeah, he did/tried to do it to me too" wouldn't there? Where are they all? It just doesn't add up.

As far as Elmo....I love him, my kids love(d) him....and I can't be so easily convinced. These kind of false accusations are not uncommon. Didn't John Travolta just deal with this nonsense? I honestly don't understand why people automatically assume this kind of garbage is true..........unless you already have a strong dislike for the accused so it gives you some sort of feeling of sick satisfaction. And how creepy is that?

Last edited by pacrosby; 11-21-2012 at 09:55 AM.
pacrosby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 09:23 AM   #40
mjantz
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlightlessDuck View Post
Technically, attraction to teeneagers isn't pedophilia, it's ephebophilia.
True but those with that level of hate & willful ignorance aren't going to care about that distinction.
mjantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 09:45 AM   #41
PaulaSB12
DIS Veteran

The accuser has withdrawn his complaint and now says he was an adult

http://www.radaronline.com/exclusive...sation-dropped
By Jon Boon - Radar Reporter

The 24-year-old man who accused Kevin Clash, the voice and puppeteer of Sesame Street favorite Elmo, of having underage gay sex with him has recanted his allegation.

Andreozzi & Associates, the law firm representing the unknown accuser, said in a statement that "he wants it to be known that his sexual relationship with Mr. Clash was an adult consensual relationship." And, "he will have no further comment on the matter."

PHOTOS: Top Celebrity Sex Scandals

As RadarOnline.com reported, Clash, 52, who had taken a leave of absence from the show to challenge the allegations, admitted he was glad the accuser had dropped the case.

"I am relieved that this painful allegation has been put to rest. I will not discuss it further," Clash said in a statement through a spokeswoman.

PHOTOS: 48 Stars Who Have Come Out As Gay Or Bisexual

The accuser had first reported his allegation to the Sesame Workshop, the company that produces Sesame Street, claiming he had a sexual relationship with Clash that began when he was just 16.

The Sesame Workshop said they fully investigated the claim, using outside investigators, over several months. "We took the allegation very seriously," a spokesperson said.

As Elmo, Clash has achieved worldwide fame and was also the subject of a 2011 documentary Being Elmo: A Puppeteer’s Journey.

But his sexuality was a tight-lipped secret."I have never been ashamed of this or tried to hide it, but felt it was a personal and private matter," he said in a statement.
PaulaSB12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 10:00 AM   #42
JessicaR
DIS Veteran
I wanna shoot aliens in the AM too!
The Grinch is rude in a funny sorta way
run to the hams!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulaSB12 View Post
The accuser has withdrawn his complaint and now says he was an adult
That's the first accuser there is a 2nd accuser now. Your link is from Nov 13th.
JessicaR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 10:20 AM   #43
goofyintoronto
Proud foot flusher
I really wanted to like it, but I didn't

Quote:
Originally Posted by JessicaR View Post
That's the first accuser there is a 2nd accuser now. Your link is from Nov 13th.
Yes indeed.

........."Please stand clear of the doors. Por favor, mantengase alejado de las puertas".........

AUGUST "2013" DINING REVIEW / AUGUST "2012" DINING REVIEW
goofyintoronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 10:24 AM   #44
Planogirl
I feel the nerd in me stirring already
Oh well, let's look on the bright side
If I hadn't been so wiped out I would have kissed my anesthesiologist

So the first accuser withdrew his complaint and the second guy looks a little fishy. I want solid hard evidence before I believe any of this.

As for Elmo, much like the purple dinosaur he is designed for little kids and not us grownups. Many kids love both but I certainly don't get it. Elmo should be fine - the character hasn't done a thing wrong.
Old 11-21-2012, 12:46 PM   #45
tiggger1
I put vicks on my feet
It really cleans my floors and makes them softer!

I think the entire thing is ridiculous. . It sounds to me like the 1st accuser was upset with Clash and tried to get back at him and didnt realize it would be such a story...and then said he lied shortly later. then a 2nd accuser comes forward claiming they didnt have sex but fooled around a little ..and demands 5 million..

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: