Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-20-2012, 03:13 PM   #16
goofyintoronto
Proud foot flusher
I really wanted to like it, but I didn't

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireDancer View Post
Sorry, I don't buy it. No one walking the Earth will ever be able to convince me that someone falsely accused of molesting a child would payout to avoid their day in court. I'd bankrupt myself before I did such a thing.
If it truly did happen, then why would the accuser accept the money so easily? If i was molested, i'd tell the person to stick the money where the sun dont shine...because ultimately all i want is the person to be prosecuted and put behind bars. When you accept the settlement, it makes me think the accuser was just after the money to begin with. I could NEVER accept the money. I would if i were a con artist. But otherwise, a big fat NO!

........."Please stand clear of the doors. Por favor, mantengase alejado de las puertas".........

AUGUST "2013" DINING REVIEW / AUGUST "2012" DINING REVIEW

I've been BOO'ED by Forum Jumper!!!
goofyintoronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 03:15 PM   #17
msjprincess
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by goofyintoronto View Post
If it truly did happen, then why would the accuser accept the money so easily? If i was molested, i'd tell the person to stick the money where the sun dont shine...because ultimately all i want is the person to be prosecuted and put behind bars. When you accept the settlement, it makes me think the accuser was just after the money to begin with. I could NEVER accept the money. I would if i were a con artist. But otherwise, a big fat NO!

That's the part that has never made sense to me. What kind of parents accept money instead of doing everything in their power to send the molester to jail?
msjprincess is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-20-2012, 03:16 PM   #18
goofyintoronto
Proud foot flusher

Quote:
Originally Posted by msjprincess View Post
That's the part that has never made sense to me. What kind of parents accept money instead of doing everything in their power to send the molester to jail?
My point exactly! Youre instantly looked at as a money hungry fool. A true victim would want JUSTICE. Not money.

........."Please stand clear of the doors. Por favor, mantengase alejado de las puertas".........

Old 11-20-2012, 03:16 PM   #19
Colleen27
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Sorry, I don't buy it. No one walking the Earth will ever be able to convince me that someone falsely accused of molesting a child would payout to avoid their day in court. I'd bankrupt myself before I did such a thing.
I can see both sides from that POV, because whether innocent or guilty the longer the issue is in the headlines the harsher the verdict from the court of public opinion.

It is the other angle I don't get... As a parent, if I believed that anyone had harmed my child in such a disgusting and depraved way there's no way in hell I'd accept anything short of locking the pervert up. I certainly wouldn't take a big money payoff and leave the sicko free to prey on the next kid that comes along. So I tend to be immediately suspicious of accusers who shut up for the right price, as well as of those who file civil suit without a criminal complaint.

Colleen27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 03:20 PM   #20
Jennasis
It's a miracle! I stayed awake during the El Rio Del Tiempo ride!
Let's not even TOUCH the whole Dog vs. dawg vs. Dowg thing!
PLINKO baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by msjprincess View Post
Honestly? To avoid having them go through the pain of testifying in court...of being hounded by reporters. Of having to relive the horror. To avoid the death threats from the sycophants who think the accused is innocent.

Last edited by Jennasis; 11-20-2012 at 03:32 PM.
Jennasis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 03:30 PM   #21
TDC Nala
1937, what a year that was
Diet Coke on Ice or Else
I apparently don't do anything they want to stimulate

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
No way would anyone who is innocent of molesting children pay to make it go away, not even if it is cheaper than fighting it. No one will ever convince me otherwise.
On the other hand, one could say that a person who has been molested would not take a payoff as an alternative to seeking justice (and preventing the molester from harming others).
Old 11-20-2012, 03:38 PM   #22
FireDancer
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennasis View Post
Honestly? To avoid having them go through the pain of testifying in court...of being hounded by reporters. Of having to relive the horror. To avoid the death threats from the sycophants who think the accused is innocent.
Exactly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDC Nala View Post
On the other hand, one could say that a person who has been molested would not take a payoff as an alternative to seeking justice (and preventing the molester from harming others).
I could see them taking it to avoid the embarrassment of having to recall the horror of the encounter in the public or a parent doing it so their child doesn't have to go through the humiliation of the same.

The other side, no way. I can't see any scenario where an intelligent person would believe anyone would pay money to make a false accusation of child rape go away.

People can feel free to disagree but I think anyone who believes, for example, the MJ didn't rape children is about as dumb as they come.
FireDancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 03:39 PM   #23
Diznygrl
Disneyland Fanatic
But really, let's get real. I've never met a donut I didn't like

Elmo probably won't be going anywhere, as someone else said he is a cash cow. I wish they would get rid of him though, because I can't stand him and think he totally ruined Sesame Street with his third person baby talk nonsense.
Old 11-20-2012, 03:44 PM   #24
Mermaid02
BL II - Blue Team
Cocoa Krispies all the way!
My son's hermit crab is a zombie....
I'm leaving this snake lover infested thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by JennaDeeDooDah View Post
I loathe Elmo. It is because of him that we do not watch Sesame Street in this house. We get the DVDs and will watch various clips, but none with Elmo. Now Big Bird, Bert and Ernie, and the Count are the bee's knees.

I vote that they send Elmo away with his perverted puppeteer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShesAPirate View Post
This is a sad situation all around, but I totally agree -- never liked Elmo, or the way he basically took over Sesame Street, pushing all the other (better) characters aside.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diznygrl View Post
Elmo probably won't be going anywhere, as someone else said he is a cash cow. I wish they would get rid of him though, because I can't stand him and think he totally ruined Sesame Street with his third person baby talk nonsense.
I agree with all of you- I can't stand Elmo. And now with these allegations, it totally turns my stomach that Kevin Clash voiced this character this way- as a child. ICK!

~Be your own inspiration~
Mermaid02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 03:46 PM   #25
msjprincess
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Exactly.

I could see them taking it to avoid the embarrassment of having to recall the horror of the encounter in the public or a parent doing it so their child doesn't have to go through the humiliation of the same.

The other side, no way. I can't see any scenario where an intelligent person would believe anyone would pay money to make a false accusation of child rape go away.

People can feel free to disagree but I think anyone who believes, for example, the MJ didn't rape children is about as dumb as they come.
And as a parent I can't see any intelligent person take money to keep quiet. I understand not wanting your child to testify and relive the memories. But no way would I take money. It makes you look like a money hungry liar in my eyes.
msjprincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 05:52 PM   #26
Jennasis
It's a miracle! I stayed awake during the El Rio Del Tiempo ride!
Let's not even TOUCH the whole Dog vs. dawg vs. Dowg thing!
PLINKO baby!

BTW we are not talking, in this case, about a parent taking money...we are talking about an ADULT accuser. The accuser is an adult who says he was having sex with Clash back when he was a child. And they have filed a $15 million lawsuit. No money has changed hands there yet. As for the first accuser, it was speculation that he was paid off.
Old 11-20-2012, 06:32 PM   #27
goofyintoronto
Proud foot flusher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennasis
BTW we are not talking, in this case, about a parent taking money...we are talking about an ADULT accuser. The accuser is an adult who says he was having sex with Clash back when he was a child. And they have filed a $15 million lawsuit. No money has changed hands there yet. As for the first accuser, it was speculation that he was paid off.
That's nuts. Im guessing he was after the money.

Sent from my Galaxy SII

Old 11-20-2012, 06:37 PM   #28
Mermaid02
BL II - Blue Team
Cocoa Krispies all the way!
My son's hermit crab is a zombie....
I'm leaving this snake lover infested thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by goofyintoronto View Post
That's nuts. Im guessing he was after the money.

Sent from my Galaxy SII
Maybe- but it doesn't make his accusations untrue.

I can see someone taking a settlement rather than go through a trial. The testimony would be embarassing and humiliating- the defense attorney would do their best to make the jury/judge doubt you and make you doubt yourself as well.

~Be your own inspiration~
Mermaid02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 06:38 PM   #29
goofyintoronto
Proud foot flusher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mermaid02

I can see someone taking a settlement rather than go through a trial. The testimony would be embarassing and humiliating- the defense attorney would do their best to make the jury/judge doubt you and make you doubt yourself as well.
yes that's true too.

Sent from my Galaxy SII

Old 11-20-2012, 07:22 PM   #30
crashbb
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mermaid02 View Post

Then why come forward with the allegations? If you aren't willing to go through with the trial (which I can understand), why go public with allegations? Doing so and then accepting money to "go away" does make one look like they were just out for money. Not necessarily true, but it does give that appearance.
crashbb is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: