Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Global Neighbours > Other Lands > Australia
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-25-2012, 10:26 PM   #31
backinoz
Mouseketeer

Location: The Land of Oz... The one Downunder, not the one with the Yellow Brick Road

Quote:
Originally Posted by alicia1506
wow this sounds amazing. would love to see how your spreadsheet works...i do most of my planning with notebooks, coloured biros and a dry erase board oh. and a calculator. and sticky notes. i am very tactile. but a spreadsheet..that sounds so much easier
I started out like that but couldn't keep track of what I'd written where - it's been great knowing that if someone has a question, or I need to look up what I have planned when, then it's all in one place. It's especially helpful with working out park plans, especially when dining ADR's open up, or when Disney changes their opening hours. I'll have to see if I can upload a screen shot. It's not perfect by any means but makes it much easier.

Loving the DISBoards App on my iPhone :-D

DL, on to POFQ, then HRH @ Universal - Dec 2012 - Celebrating DD13 & DD15s Birthdays
Pre-Trip Report

ASMo Dec 2008 & Pop Dec 2008/Jan 2009 DLP Nov 2002 - all 4 of us - Paris in Winter is just magical, but COLD
. . . . . . . . . . .ASMo Nov/Dec 2001 with DH, DD2 & DD4
backinoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 06:21 PM   #32
areweindisneyyet
DIS Veteran

Loving the planning. Iceland is so on my list of places to go. Northern Lights, Christmas. Just perfect. Please keep sharing along, and a trip report is a must.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-29-2012, 06:38 PM   #33
backinoz
Mouseketeer

Location: The Land of Oz... The one Downunder, not the one with the Yellow Brick Road

Quote:
Originally Posted by areweindisneyyet View Post
Loving the planning. Iceland is so on my list of places to go. Northern Lights, Christmas. Just perfect. Please keep sharing along, and a trip report is a must.
Will do my best with the TR - Santa's bringing me an iPad so should make updates on the run much easier (at least in Iceland where we'll have access to wireless). Have decided not to bother with mobile data access - have managed without it just fine in the past, and would rather spend $$ elsewhere.

DL, on to POFQ, then HRH @ Universal - Dec 2012 - Celebrating DD13 & DD15s Birthdays
Pre-Trip Report

ASMo Dec 2008 & Pop Dec 2008/Jan 2009 DLP Nov 2002 - all 4 of us - Paris in Winter is just magical, but COLD
Old 11-29-2012, 06:42 PM   #34
areweindisneyyet
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by backinoz View Post
Will do my best with the TR - Santa's bringing me an iPad so should make updates on the run much easier (at least in Iceland where we'll have access to wireless). Have decided not to bother with mobile data access - have managed without it just fine in the past, and would rather spend $$ elsewhere.
We just got back from two weeks in Europe and had WIFI access in all our hotels and accommodation so didn't bother or need mobile data. Just got a travel sim for a mobile to phone in home. Used $50 of credit over the two weeks for work and personal calls. The last $15 we used up cause it was there not from need.

I have an original IPAD, maybe next year Santa will be nice. Kinda been spoilt already for this year. I took it on our previous trip to Europe for 4 weeks and the IPAD did everything I needed it too. Had to take laptop for work this time and it was so irksome. One of my main programs cant be used on IPAD but apparently they are working on it.
Old 11-29-2012, 07:18 PM   #35
backinoz
Mouseketeer

Countdown... 8 days to go (and sooooo much to do)

DH is looking to adding another activity or two to our Iceland Itinerary - Dog Sledding - oh my goodness - I hope the wind is not around, but what an awesome experience, and a very unique way to see the glaciers. He's also booked tickets to see the Icelandic Symphony Orchestra on our last night in Iceland - mainly for DD13 as she hopes to pursue a career in music. Her first instrument is the flute, (she's working towards her AMEB 6th grade), but she knows it's ultra competitive to get in - so her other option is the Tuba - she's only been playing it a year and was accepted into to the State Honours Ensemble program at the Qld Conservatorium of music back in the Sep holidays, so that's looking promising. (She also plays the piccolo in the school marching band, and the trombone in the stage band - add that to DD15's Clarinet, Bass Clarinet & Drum Kit and you'll know why the guest room is called the music room). The Harpa Concert Hall is just an amazing building - you can check out more photos here if you're interested.

I've also realised that we'll be away during cyclone season here and that I need to secure or put away everything in the yard before we go - aaaarggghhhh! i think it'll be a 'put the car in the garage' and let's see what we can pack around it job.

I really want to have most of the bags packed by the end of this weekend. I'm pretty sure DD13's will be done as she has a sleepover at her BFF's place scheduled for Sat night, and I've told her she can only go if her room's tidy and her bag's packed (mean Mum aren't I?). It may be a bit more of a challenge to get DD15's bag packed as she arrived back from a week-long camp at UQ (Uni of Qld) last night with a bag full of washing & who know's what else. Today's her last day of year 11 though, so at least she'll be home next week to help clean, pack & organise everything, (I'll leave her a list when I go to work - gotta love having 'grown-up' kids who're OK with helping out - but then who wouldn't when a holiday like ours is in sight!)

As far as Disney planning goes, I'm pretty happy with things as they are - have decided to just get DL tickets when we arrive - no real savings by buying through Expedia, online or through a TA - and we'd still have to exchange voucher for actual tickets at the gate, so may as well just buy at the gate. (Please correct me if I'm wrong). Still haven't sorted out half day LAX tour, but figure that can wait until early next week. Will recheck/repost DISboards to see if anyone has first-hand experience of construction noise levels at Ramada Main Gate, so I can get it straight in my head if we should keep the booking there.

Also need to print out all our confirmations - Accom (Anaheim, POFQ, HRH & Paris), Transfers (LAX-Anaheim rtn), Car Hire (WDW), DIning reservations (WDW it's easy, just print out from "My reservations" - DL - not so much - have to print out emails), and must not forget all those things I bought during Black Friday Sales that I had shipped to POFQ - Am gonna have quite a stack waiting for me - especially since Amazon decided to break down my order into soooo many smaller shipments (don't know why, I ticked the 'wait and ship together' box on the website). I pity the poor person who'll be checking us in

Time for me to go work on my 'to do' list, rather than just talk about it. I'm oscillating from unbridled panic thinking of what I need to do, to almost shaking in my boots excitement that in 9 days, we'll be thinking about what else we can fit in before our dinner at Cafe Orleans, having had our first day in DL

Pre-Trip Report

Old 11-29-2012, 09:06 PM   #36
miss.potatohead
Mouseketeer

Quote:

As far as Disney planning goes, I'm pretty happy with things as they are - have decided to just get DL tickets when we arrive - no real savings by buying through Expedia, online or through a TA - and we'd still have to exchange voucher for actual tickets at the gate, so may as well just buy at the gate. (Please correct me if I'm wrong).
I'd buy them online. It's a few dollars cheaper and that could be an extra churro to snack on! Our experience with online (I think we went through the DLR website) you are emailed a PDF that you print off at home, then bring it along to the entry gates. They scan it, swap it for a cardboard ticket and away you go. If you purchase it at the gate, you actually have to line up at the ticket booths, which depending on the time you go may have a bit of a wait. THEN you have to go line up to enter the parks. Up to you though
miss.potatohead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 09:17 PM   #37
backinoz
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by miss.potatohead

...line up at the ticket booths, which depending on the time you go may have a bit of a wait. THEN you have to go line up to enter the parks. Up to you though
Glad u told me this - thank you - Will definitely buy online b4 we go then, especially since, with a bit of luck, we'll be at the gates within an hour of opening on our arrival day.

Loving the DISBoards App on my iPhone :-D

Pre-Trip Report

Old 12-06-2012, 02:47 AM   #38
backinoz
Mouseketeer

In 48 hours I'll be half way to Disneyland....

Oh my..... Yayyyyyyy

Finished my last day at work this afternoon, and am oscillating between doing the happy "I'm sooooo excited dance", and the "OMG We leave in less than 36 hours" panic dash. It's really freaking out my DDs.

DD13 is all packed (except for 2 pair of jeans I should be hemming instead of checking in on the DISboards), and she's very happy that her bag is only 3/4 full, so has space for shopping. Little does she know, but I plan on getting at least one (or two) extra cases on our travels 'just in case' - I just can't share that with her just yet, else she'd like to fill one case all by herself!! (Probably after the Outlet Mall in Orlando, and that's before Iceland and Paris!) DD15's clothes are all laid out ready to pack - my problem with her is getting her to take enough clothes, or at least something other than jeans and t-shirts. The funny thing is... when DD13 was packing she was having great difficulty in deciding which 'nice dress' to bring along for our dinner at V&A's, and our night at the symphony in Iceland. I told her she could take both, but then she wouldn't have so much space if she wanted to buy a dress on her travels, (needless to say only 1 dress is packed). Well, when I was going over DD15's clothes with her, I noted that she didn't have a Disney hoodie packed (she has 2 NBC ones, but only had a plain North Face Polar fleece out to take) - her response... "That's for the same reason that DD13's only taking one dress". I did have to - DD15 doesn't like shopping AT ALL, unless there's a Disney logo on the front of the shop that is

I'm off to do my packing now - shouldn't take long as I have it all planned out - 8 sets of clothes suitable for in the parks, 1 fancy outfit for V&A's, 1 nice (but comfy) outfit for dinner. Lots of layers, a couple of polar fleeces, my Disney Hoodie, pj's underwear and shoes. If DD13's bag is anything to go by, we'll probably have 3 bags around 18kg plus one small wheelaboard sized (with toiletries etc in it), that we'll check. I'll have 1 wheelaboard with a change of clothes each in it, plus my laptop & iPad, and then my Pacsafe handbag with wallet, phone & travel documents, and the girls are planning on taking their school backpacks with their onboard entertainment, and they have the small Pacsafe handbags for their wallet, phone & camera. That means we'll be using less than half our luggage allowance on the way over - BIG It's a far cry from the days when we were living in Southern Africa and I'd travel back to Australia by myself with the girls and have 1 wheel aboard, one gigantic Kapoochi backpack/Nappy Bag, and the girls two small wheelaboards to manipulate around the airport (plus wrangling a 3yo & 18mo). In those days I loved Singapore Airport's little luggage trolleys they had airside - perfect size for a bag and a toddler sitting on top!

Just one other thing I need to share with you (especially if your kids, or you, are into characters at WDW or USO), and this link especially if you're going to MVMCP - Kenny the Pirate's Blog Kenny has the scheduled character appearances for each WDW park up on his website - awesome if you're after a particular photo or autograph.

And thanks to miss.potatohead for your advice about the tickets - I bought them online through the DL website - even though they were slightly cheaper on the expedia site here in Aus, the idea that we can save quite a bit of time and just hand over our printed pdf's at the gate won us over Thanks also to areweindisneyyet for sharing your experiences with your phone and wifi in europe - we aren't even going to bother with the travelsim as my sister also has an iPad, so we'll just facetime with her to catch up with family. My DDs will stay in touch with friends via Facebook, and also with facetime through their iPod Touches.

That better do me for now - have got a suitcase to pack, then tomorrow is a clean the pool, tie down or put away everything in the yard, clean out the fridge etc. sort of day, but only until mid afternoon as friends are coming over to help DD13 have a mini-birthday party before we leave. After that is a Disney movie marathon to make sure we're nice and tired for a quick night's sleep before getting up at 4am to start our adventure to DL.

Hopefully then next time I post here I'll be sitting back in the Qantas International Lounge at Brisbane Airport waiting for our flight to LAX on Saturday morning - Wish me luck

Pre-Trip Report

Old 12-06-2012, 04:04 AM   #39
areweindisneyyet
DIS Veteran

It is getting so close. Safe travels and I look forward to reading along.

Enjoy some very special family time. N

Mia
Old 12-06-2012, 05:00 AM   #40
Ms. Shuttergirl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Oh my..... Yayyyyyyy

Finished my last day at work this afternoon, and am oscillating between doing the happy "I'm sooooo excited dance", and the "OMG We leave in less than 36 hours" panic dash. It's really freaking out my DDs.

DD13 is all packed (except for 2 pair of jeans I should be hemming instead of checking in on the DISboards), and she's very happy that her bag is only 3/4 full, so has space for shopping. Little does she know, but I plan on getting at least one (or two) extra cases on our travels 'just in case' - I just can't share that with her just yet, else she'd like to fill one case all by herself!! (Probably after the Outlet Mall in Orlando, and that's before Iceland and Paris!) DD15's clothes are all laid out ready to pack - my problem with her is getting her to take enough clothes, or at least something other than jeans and t-shirts. The funny thing is... when DD13 was packing she was having great difficulty in deciding which 'nice dress' to bring along for our dinner at V&A's, and our night at the symphony in Iceland. I told her she could take both, but then she wouldn't have so much space if she wanted to buy a dress on her travels, (needless to say only 1 dress is packed). Well, when I was going over DD15's clothes with her, I noted that she didn't have a Disney hoodie packed (she has 2 NBC ones, but only had a plain North Face Polar fleece out to take) - her response... "That's for the same reason that DD13's only taking one dress". I did have to - DD15 doesn't like shopping AT ALL, unless there's a Disney logo on the front of the shop that is

I'm off to do my packing now - shouldn't take long as I have it all planned out - 8 sets of clothes suitable for in the parks, 1 fancy outfit for V&A's, 1 nice (but comfy) outfit for dinner. Lots of layers, a couple of polar fleeces, my Disney Hoodie, pj's underwear and shoes. If DD13's bag is anything to go by, we'll probably have 3 bags around 18kg plus one small wheelaboard sized (with toiletries etc in it), that we'll check. I'll have 1 wheelaboard with a change of clothes each in it, plus my laptop & iPad, and then my Pacsafe handbag with wallet, phone & travel documents, and the girls are planning on taking their school backpacks with their onboard entertainment, and they have the small Pacsafe handbags for their wallet, phone & camera. That means we'll be using less than half our luggage allowance on the way over - BIG It's a far cry from the days when we were living in Southern Africa and I'd travel back to Australia by myself with the girls and have 1 wheel aboard, one gigantic Kapoochi backpack/Nappy Bag, and the girls two small wheelaboards to manipulate around the airport (plus wrangling a 3yo & 18mo). In those days I loved Singapore Airport's little luggage trolleys they had airside - perfect size for a bag and a toddler sitting on top!

Just one other thing I need to share with you (especially if your kids, or you, are into characters at WDW or USO), and this link especially if you're going to MVMCP - Kenny the Pirate's Blog Kenny has the scheduled character appearances for each WDW park up on his website - awesome if you're after a particular photo or autograph.

And thanks to miss.potatohead for your advice about the tickets - I bought them online through the DL website - even though they were slightly cheaper on the expedia site here in Aus, the idea that we can save quite a bit of time and just hand over our printed pdf's at the gate won us over Thanks also to areweindisneyyet for sharing your experiences with your phone and wifi in europe - we aren't even going to bother with the travelsim as my sister also has an iPad, so we'll just facetime with her to catch up with family. My DDs will stay in touch with friends via Facebook, and also with facetime through their iPod Touches.

That better do me for now - have got a suitcase to pack, then tomorrow is a clean the pool, tie down or put away everything in the yard, clean out the fridge etc. sort of day, but only until mid afternoon as friends are coming over to help DD13 have a mini-birthday party before we leave. After that is a Disney movie marathon to make sure we're nice and tired for a quick night's sleep before getting up at 4am to start our adventure to DL.

Hopefully then next time I post here I'll be sitting back in the Qantas International Lounge at Brisbane Airport waiting for our flight to LAX on Saturday morning - Wish me luck
Sounds like you are very well organised for your packing. Do you have much winter stuff to pack for Iceland? Orlando weather is looking pretty warm for the next few weeks which has been kind of annoying for us because it meant we had to pack summer stuff and winter stuff.

Remind me what your POFQ dates are again? We are there 9-20 Dec. I'll keep an "ear" out for aussies.

Oct 2009 Disneyland - stayed at Disneyland Hotel
Sept/Oct 2010 WDW - split stay Wilderness Lodge/POP Century - Trip Report http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2559987

PTR Christmas 2012 - http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2979947
TR WDW/US/Canada Christmas trip 2012 - http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3030550
Ms. Shuttergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 05:05 AM   #41
5ofus
DIS Veteran

Good luck, although it sounds like you are on top of things and don't really need luck.

Safe travels!

5ofus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 06:19 AM   #42
marvel
DIS Veteran

Have an awesome time.
marvel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 11:48 PM   #43
Minniemum
DIS Veteran

1 sleep to go! Really looking forward to reading about your travels.

DLR - 1/92 O/S, 3/99 O/S, 6/99 O/S, 3/05 DLH, 9/08 DLH, 9/09 DLH, 9/13 O/S
DLP - 9/98
DCL Fantasy Eastern Caribbean - 9/13
WDW - 4/98 O/S, 10/10 POP, 9/11 POFQ, 9/12 POFQ, 9/13 POFQ, 9/14 POFQ

Minniemum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 04:54 PM   #44
Aussie Wendy
DIS Veteran

Have a wonderful trip with lots of exciting new experiences as well as your fill of Disney!
TR Exploration Europe

Me DH DD:

Aussie Wendy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 07:05 PM   #45
backinoz
Mouseketeer

About to board our flight to LA in Brisbane. Had a few last minute dramas like DD15 waking up very unwell (but she's OK now - just lack of sleep and a very full day with friends yesterday - 45min sleep on our first flight was just what she needed). I had next to no sleep last night, was up late sorting out things (like cleaning a fish tank), and then just couldn't sleep knowing we had to be up about 4am this morning. Then to top it all off, when we arrived at our first airport, I realised that the bag with our clothes for Disneyland when we arrive (& my laptop) was still sitting at home - 25 min drive away, and this was just over an hour before our flight departed. Luckily I have a WONDERFUL friend who's looking after our place while we're go who grabbed my bag and got it to the airport JUST IN TIME. Gotta go - Boarding now. Thanks to all for your well wishes X

Pre-Trip Report

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: