Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Global Neighbours > Other Lands > Australia
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-25-2012, 04:44 AM   #1
Aussiefamof5
Mouseketeer

Question Skycouch? Is it worth it?

Hi Everyone.

In eager pre trip planning I think I may have overlooked a vital part of our 14 hour flight with young children and a teenager That is the arrival in time in LA.

From what I have looked at with both Qantas and VAustralia the arrival time is between approx 11pm and 3am Australian time. I am a little anxious about this especially with a 3 year old.

Upon looking at Air New Zealand I have noted that their arrival time in la is approx 6am Australian time. YAY! But I also loved the idea of the skycouch. Has anyone ever used this service with Air New Zealand? If so what was your experience? Was it worth the extra $$$$$. We would be requiring two skycouches and I would be happy to pay the extra if worth it.

Very interested in your feedback

Thanks in advance

Disneyland DLH & HOJO November 2013

Aussiefamof5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 06:25 AM   #2
Kristin5
Mouseketeer

We booked the sky couch last year for me, DH and DS (then 4 years old). So we had a row of 3 seats which folded out to make a bed. But it was so uncomfortable and awkward to get in and out of. So, not good for 2 adults and 1 child. But maybe if it is 1 adult and 1 child, or at the most 1 adult and 2 small kids, it might be ok. It only cost us an extra $160, so not too much of a waste, but we wouldn't do it again.
Kristin5 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-25-2012, 10:47 AM   #3
WanderlustNZ
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristin5
We booked the sky couch last year for me, DH and DS (then 4 years old). So we had a row of 3 seats which folded out to make a bed. But it was so uncomfortable and awkward to get in and out of. So, not good for 2 adults and 1 child. But maybe if it is 1 adult and 1 child, or at the most 1 adult and 2 small kids, it might be ok. It only cost us an extra $160, so not too much of a waste, but we wouldn't do it again.
I'm actually quite pleased to read this. I now feel better about saving my money and not booking one.
Old 11-25-2012, 01:22 PM   #4
5ofus
DIS Veteran

We haven't used it yet, but are definitely considering it. Our boys will only be 2,4 and 6 next year so we'd only get one Skycouch and were thinking one of us will share two normal seats with the baby while the other parent shares the Skycouch with the older two. I don't think they will let all three of them on the Skycouch together, which is a shame because they'd probably all fit.

5ofus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 01:45 PM   #5
Beee
Mouseketeer

I was lucky to check out the new air nz set up before they were released, oh to be able to afford business class - those seats are very comfy! Anyway, the sky couch would be great for 2 kids or even 1 adult and 2 very small children but too small for more than that comfortably really. I looked at it for dd 12 and I with the mr having a separate seat but in the end decided to put the money into a nice hotel when we get there instead

Beee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 01:53 PM   #6
Ms. Shuttergirl
DIS Veteran

From the pictures I've seen the skycouch looks a little difficult to manoeuvre out of to go to the bathroom or take a walk. I think your children would have to be very little, like babies up to 4 years for there to be a real benefit.

Oct 2009 Disneyland - stayed at Disneyland Hotel
Sept/Oct 2010 WDW - split stay Wilderness Lodge/POP Century - Trip Report http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2559987

PTR Christmas 2012 - http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2979947
TR WDW/US/Canada Christmas trip 2012 - http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3030550
Ms. Shuttergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 03:08 AM   #7
Aussiefamof5
Mouseketeer

Thanks for your replies everyone. I did see that the aisles are very narrow on the 777, but I guess economy is just that no matter who you fly with.

If we do try I'll let you know how it goes.

Thanks

Old 11-29-2012, 08:22 AM   #8
backinoz
Mouseketeer

Location: The Land of Oz... The one Downunder, not the one with the Yellow Brick Road

I can't comment on the sky couch, but we did fly AirNZ on our first trip purely based on flight times. Yes it does take longer overall - the flight to NZ leaves around the same time as the direct flight to LA, but because you have the stop in NZ, the long leg of the flight ties in nicely with AEST night-time. It made the trip far more pleasant as we were travelling with an almost 3 year old, and a four and a half year old. They had a little nap on the way to NZ, then we went for many laps around the Aukland terminal, got on the plane to LAX, had dinner, and then washed the girls faces, brushed their teeth and put them into their PJ's. I think maintaining part of that nightly ritual helped as they slept like a charm all the way to LAX (even through the brekfast service, us putting their seats upright, and landing in LAX). If your kids are asleep when you land in LAX, don't bother waking them straight away, it can be another 20min or more befor the plane's parked at the terminal ready for disembarking

DL, on to POFQ, then HRH @ Universal - Dec 2012 - Celebrating DD13 & DD15s Birthdays
Pre-Trip Report

ASMo Dec 2008 & Pop Dec 2008/Jan 2009 DLP Nov 2002 - all 4 of us - Paris in Winter is just magical, but COLD
. . . . . . . . . . .ASMo Nov/Dec 2001 with DH, DD2 & DD4
backinoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 09:11 PM   #9
areweindisneyyet
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by backinoz View Post
I can't comment on the sky couch, but we did fly AirNZ on our first trip purely based on flight times. Yes it does take longer overall - the flight to NZ leaves around the same time as the direct flight to LA, but because you have the stop in NZ, the long leg of the flight ties in nicely with AEST night-time. It made the trip far more pleasant as we were travelling with an almost 3 year old, and a four and a half year old. They had a little nap on the way to NZ, then we went for many laps around the Aukland terminal, got on the plane to LAX, had dinner, and then washed the girls faces, brushed their teeth and put them into their PJ's. I think maintaining part of that nightly ritual helped as they slept like a charm all the way to LAX (even through the brekfast service, us putting their seats upright, and landing in LAX). If your kids are asleep when you land in LAX, don't bother waking them straight away, it can be another 20min or more befor the plane's parked at the terminal ready for disembarking
We did the same on our trip in 2007 when the girls were 8 and 5. Flew Melbourne to Auckland, had dinner in Auckland in case the food onboard was bad. When we got back on the plane we changed girls into PJ's and they slept the whole way. The grown ups werent so great but the kids certainly got through their first day in Anaheim OK. We took a direct flight home which was just perfect. We flew with Qantas from Melbourne doing this. Older aircraft but timing wise perfect.
Old 12-09-2012, 06:34 PM   #10
KiwiMouseGirl
Mouseketeer

My friend Alicia and myself are looking in to getting a skycouch for our trip next October. I absolutely cannot sleep sitting up, let alone being comfortable just sitting watching movies the whole flight as I have mild claustraphobia and lowe back problems. We are hoping that the skycough will be the answer to our problems! We are planning on sleeping the whole flight so that we are on sort of the right body clock when we arrive in L.A, and hopefully these skycouches will be a little more comfortable than sitting!
Old 12-09-2012, 07:02 PM   #11
australiankaren
I do love me my free H20...thank you Mickey.....DVC member BLT & VB....I HATE #MYDISNEYEXPERIENCE

Sometimes paying premium economy can work out cheaper and you have a more comfy ride and extra bags etc..... I think sky lounge is an extra $550 per leg per person.... So if your paying $1500 already for econ then add $1100 for sky lounge... You can get pe from $2800 that's only an extra few hundred bucks..... I kissy kissy love my anz
australiankaren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 03:03 AM   #12
Aussiefamof5
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by australiankaren View Post
Sometimes paying premium economy can work out cheaper and you have a more comfy ride and extra bags etc..... I think sky lounge is an extra $550 per leg per person.... So if your paying $1500 already for econ then add $1100 for sky lounge... You can get pe from $2800 that's only an extra few hundred bucks..... I kissy kissy love my anz
we are actually looking at this as a possibility.... but i find it hard to pay that much for flights times 5 ... ouch, i think maybe the money is better for shopping I have read your last trip report australiankaren and loved your reviews on anz.

i wonder if Qantas be kissy kissy too lol

Old 12-10-2012, 03:17 PM   #13
areweindisneyyet
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussiefamof5

we are actually looking at this as a possibility.... but i find it hard to pay that much for flights times 5 ... ouch, i think maybe the money is better for shopping I have read your last trip report australiankaren and loved your reviews on anz.

i wonder if Qantas be kissy kissy too lol
If on an A380. Tempted to try Jarens kissy kissy ANZ for our next trip.
Old 12-10-2012, 03:54 PM   #14
australiankaren
I do love me my free H20...thank you Mickey.....DVC member BLT & VB....I HATE #MYDISNEYEXPERIENCE

plotting and schemeing

thats the motto for airfares

now grab an excel spreadsheet ((((i hate excel but it does the job)))) and lay out all your options..eg:
qantas exit row option (airfare + $360 exit row)..allow 2 x 23 kg bags, A380, try and get upstairs (rows 32-36)
delta economy plus (airfare + aprox $300)...allow 1 x 23 bags, direct flight, extra room, priority boarding.
air new zealand lounge( airfare + $1100)..allow 1 x 23 kg bag, stopover AKL, 18 hrs.
air new zealand PE (aprox $3000)...allow 2 x 23kg bag, priority boarding, huge seats, business class meals...just awesome kissy kissy....stop over in AKL. 18 hrs
Virgin australia (econ airfare)...no room, 1 bag, good inflight entertainment.
Virgin australia PE (aprox $3200)...2 bags 23kg, ok seats, good food, priority boarding, great inflight entertainment, direct flight

Last edited by australiankaren; 12-18-2012 at 07:18 AM. Reason: delta only have 1 bag allowance not 2...sorry..
australiankaren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 05:37 AM   #15
Aussiefamof5
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by australiankaren View Post
thats the motto for airfares

now grab an excel spreadsheet ((((i hate excel but it does the job)))) and lay out all your options..eg:
qantas exit row option (airfare + $360 exit row)..allow 2 x 23 kg bags, A380, try and get upstairs (rows 32-36)
delta economy plus (airfare + aprox $300)...allow 2 x 23 bags, direct flight, extra room, priority boarding.
air new zealand lounge( airfare + $1100)..allow 1 x 23 kg bag, stopover AKL, 18 hrs.
air new zealand PE (aprox $3000)...allow 2 x 23kg bag, priority boarding, huge seats, business class meals...just awesome kissy kissy....stop over in AKL. 18 hrs
Virgin australia (econ airfare)...no room, 1 bag, good inflight entertainment.
Virgin australia PE (aprox $3200)...2 bags 23kg, ok seats, good food, priority boarding, great inflight entertainment, direct flight
Ohhh you are very clever Australiankaren I would never have thought to do this... you are very right about the extra luggage. I hate excel too but i think this just may work.

THANKYOU

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: