Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Global Neighbours > Other Lands > Australia
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-21-2012, 07:38 AM   #31
cola
Mouseketeer

I LOVED staying at the Hotel Missoni I got it very cheap on a jetsetter.com Flash Sale ($140US per night). I LOVE jetsetter.com, but the Flash Sales tend to be only about 3 months in advance, which I know most people around here couldn't cope with!!!! It was on the Royal Mile almost next door to St Giles Cathedral. I have to admit I didn't quite realise how amazing the location was when I booked it, I just got it because it was cheap and looked fun Turned out to be completely over the top luxurious amazing. (Everything I've booked through jetsetter.com has been outstanding)

Around the Royal Mile is very hilly, most of the attractions around it include a lot of stairs, (the historical buildings can be up to 6 stories high) Even if stairs are a problem there is still more than enough to see and do, the hills are just take your time, it's not a race, only problem will be varying levels of fitness in your party. You can't go to Edinburgh and not do the Royal Mile, it's like a tourist going to Sydney and not checking out the Opera House!
Old 11-21-2012, 09:38 PM   #32
Aussie Wendy
DIS Veteran

We are walkers-DH delights in making us walk where sensible people would catch a subway/bus/taxi.... but nice to be prepared! (We were the ones climbing up the 265 or whatever steps of the monument in London having just walked the circuit from below Tower Bridge along southbank and over Westminster Bridge and back along the Embankment!)

Did not know about jetsetter.com- noting it for future use - have booked our first couple of nights in Edinburgh but not our last night when we get back from our mini road trip. Hotel Missoni looks pretty flash-and a great deal for the price you got.
TR Exploration Europe

Me DH DD:

Aussie Wendy is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-21-2012, 09:45 PM   #33
PrincessInOz
in
Catch you at the other end

Jeez Shuttergirl!

You really ARE spending that reno money aren't you?

(Trip looks a-MAZ-ing, by the way).

Can't wait to see how you go with completing an American TR in the 9 weeks before you leave for this trip.

Disneyland - Dec 1986, May 1990, Dec 1997, Aug 2003, Jun 2005, Jul 2007 TR, Nov 2008, Jan 2011 and Nov 2012 Another Mad Dash TR
Walt Disney World - Jun 2005, May 2010 (POR, BCV) PTR || TR, Oct 2010 (CSR) PTR || TR, Oct 2013 Anyone Game? PTR || TR in progress
Hong Kong Disneyland - Mar/Apr 2012 TR
PrincessInOz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 04:28 AM   #34
Toy Story
DIS Veteran

You are so lucky to have two trips on the go.

I want to start planning for Europe Christmas 2013, so your trip will be very helpful for my plans

Can I ask who you booked the apartment in Paris through?
Old 11-22-2012, 02:58 PM   #35
Ms. Shuttergirl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cola View Post
http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/2923570 is a good photo that sort of gives you an indication of how steep it is, Waverly is the main train station. these are the steps in between the front row of building and the next.... http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/1253665 Street photos just don't capture how steep it is around the Royal Mile.

Ahhhh, this model shows it well!!! http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/1302117 and how relatively flat the New Town in the foreground is
You've got me a little scared about my fitness level for Edinburgh . Lucky are aren't staying there long. I think we may need to invest in a cab to take us to the top and then we will wander down the Royal Mile .

Thanks for these links.

Oct 2009 Disneyland - stayed at Disneyland Hotel
Sept/Oct 2010 WDW - split stay Wilderness Lodge/POP Century - Trip Report http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2559987

PTR Christmas 2012 - http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2979947
TR WDW/US/Canada Christmas trip 2012 - http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3030550
Ms. Shuttergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 03:07 PM   #36
Ms. Shuttergirl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessInOz View Post
Jeez Shuttergirl!

You really ARE spending that reno money aren't you?

(Trip looks a-MAZ-ing, by the way).

Can't wait to see how you go with completing an American TR in the 9 weeks before you leave for this trip.
Hmmmm, is that a good thing or a bad thing PIO .

I generally write the TR's live each day while away, well that's what I did last time anyway and I enjoyed it. I really value all that I wrote in the moment - warts and all so I would hope I can do it again. My family go to bed really early and it drives me crazy so I like to catch up on the DIS and write an update. I'm not so good sharing photos on the trip though because I really prefer to edit the images individually and don't like doing it on the laptop. Professional vanity or something , although I may need to get over myself and share some.

It's just so annoying that you have to upload through a secondary photo website. Just makes everything a little harder that's all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toy Story View Post
You are so lucky to have two trips on the go.

I want to start planning for Europe Christmas 2013, so your trip will be very helpful for my plans

Can I ask who you booked the apartment in Paris through?
We are very lucky that is for sure but it has come with a fair amount of stress. Not sure whether I would do trips so closely again.

We booked the apartment through http://www.parisvacationapartments.com/. I can't tell you how beautiful all of their apartments are and the company came highly recommended to us from friends who had used them twice.

We originally wanted to stay in the St. Germain area but our apartment at Palais Royal suited our sleeping needs for a family of 5 better. Since you are a family of 4 the choices are endless from what they have available.

We had definitely wanted to choose an apartment that had the right feel for us, we wanted to feel like we were "living the Parisien dream" . Sounds silly but that was important for us since we've never visited Paris before, well actually we took this into account for all of the accom for this trip. My husband and I have dreamt of visiting the UK and Paris our whole lives so perhaps we have splashed out a little more than we do for the US etc. Plus we wanted MIL to feel comfortable and well looked after since we invited her along to give her something to look forward to after loosing her husband earlier this year. She too has never been to Europe and this may be her only time so we wanted her to feel special as well.

Booking for 5 has created alot of challenges and expense and I take my hat off to families that have to do this regularly. 4 definitely makes it easier.

Sept/Oct 2010 WDW - split stay Wilderness Lodge/POP Century - Trip Report http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2559987

TR WDW/US/Canada Christmas trip 2012 - http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3030550
Old 11-23-2012, 01:51 AM   #37
PrincessInOz
in
Catch you at the other end

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms. Shuttergirl View Post

I generally write the TR's live each day while away, well that's what I did last time anyway and I enjoyed it. I really value all that I wrote in the moment - warts and all so I would hope I can do it again. My family go to bed really early and it drives me crazy so I like to catch up on the DIS and write an update. I'm not so good sharing photos on the trip though because I really prefer to edit the images individually and don't like doing it on the laptop. Professional vanity or something , although I may need to get over myself and share some.

It's just so annoying that you have to upload through a secondary photo website. Just makes everything a little harder that's all.
From where I'm sitting, this is DEFINITELY a good thing. I get to live vicariously and not spend any money.

Great strategy for daily updates on the TR. I'll be here.....reading along.

Disneyland - Dec 1986, May 1990, Dec 1997, Aug 2003, Jun 2005, Jul 2007 TR, Nov 2008, Jan 2011 and Nov 2012 Another Mad Dash TR
Walt Disney World - Jun 2005, May 2010 (POR, BCV) PTR || TR, Oct 2010 (CSR) PTR || TR, Oct 2013 Anyone Game? PTR || TR in progress
Hong Kong Disneyland - Mar/Apr 2012 TR
PrincessInOz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 01:44 PM   #38
Ms. Shuttergirl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessInOz View Post
From where I'm sitting, this is DEFINITELY a good thing. I get to live vicariously and not spend any money.

Great strategy for daily updates on the TR. I'll be here.....reading along.
Yes well there are alot of photo shoots to happen before the next trip to pay for it all .

Trip planning and the need to pay for said trip is the only thing that gets me out of bed each day and what stops me biting annoying clients heads off

Old 11-23-2012, 06:10 PM   #39
alicia1506
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms. Shuttergirl

Yes well there are alot of photo shoots to happen before the next trip to pay for it all .

Trip planning and the need to pay for said trip is the only thing that gets me out of bed each day and what stops me biting annoying clients heads off
Me too. Every morning my alarm beeps at me and the message on the screen is 'one day closer to oyr disney vacation'.. It is pretty much the only thing getting me out of bed in the morning
Old 11-24-2012, 01:02 AM   #40
Toy Story
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms. Shuttergirl View Post

We are very lucky that is for sure but it has come with a fair amount of stress. Not sure whether I would do trips so closely again.

We booked the apartment through http://www.parisvacationapartments.com/. I can't tell you how beautiful all of their apartments are and the company came highly recommended to us from friends who had used them twice.

We originally wanted to stay in the St. Germain area but our apartment at Palais Royal suited our sleeping needs for a family of 5 better. Since you are a family of 4 the choices are endless from what they have available.

We had definitely wanted to choose an apartment that had the right feel for us, we wanted to feel like we were "living the Parisien dream" . Sounds silly but that was important for us since we've never visited Paris before, well actually we took this into account for all of the accom for this trip. My husband and I have dreamt of visiting the UK and Paris our whole lives so perhaps we have splashed out a little more than we do for the US etc. Plus we wanted MIL to feel comfortable and well looked after since we invited her along to give her something to look forward to after loosing her husband earlier this year. She too has never been to Europe and this may be her only time so we wanted her to feel special as well.

Booking for 5 has created alot of challenges and expense and I take my hat off to families that have to do this regularly. 4 definitely makes it easier.
Thank you so much - this is great. We are thinking of visiting Italy as well so I will have a look - now to work out the high/low seasonal pricing and where we may want to stay. I think you may have just rigged my planning bug
Old 11-24-2012, 01:25 PM   #41
Ms. Shuttergirl
DIS Veteran

Always happy to help Toy Story

Old 11-28-2012, 04:48 AM   #42
shushh
DIS Veteran

I only just saw this! Trip looks wonderful but you know that already!

Spend up! That's why you're not building so you can have these amazing experiences No seriously, it will be very special for the children to travel with and to see all these all these sights with their grandparent.
May 2011 Hong Kong Disneyland TR
Sep 2011 Salt Lake City, Disneyland TR
Dec 2012 France, Disneyland Paris, Italy, Cruise to the Holy Land
May 2013 Tokyo Disney Sea TR
Dec 2013 WDW, Caribbean Cruise Disney Fantasy, Caribbean Cruise Allure of the Seas, Disneyland
Jun 2015 Disney Wonder Alaskan Cruise
shushh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 03:06 PM   #43
shushh
DIS Veteran

Aussie Wendy, you probaly already know this but just in case...DLP is having a stay 2 and get 2 nights/days free offer. I have a feeling your dates are within the offer period?!?
Dec 2013 WDW, Caribbean Cruise Disney Fantasy, Caribbean Cruise Allure of the Seas, Disneyland
Old 11-29-2012, 04:19 PM   #44
Aussie Wendy
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by shushh View Post
Aussie Wendy, you probaly already know this but just in case...DLP is having a stay 2 and get 2 nights/days free offer. I have a feeling your dates are within the offer period?!?
Yes thanks. I have booked after a last minute contretemps where I thought prices had gone up overnight but a kindly soul on the Paris boards advised that sometimes they change the advertised deal to a dearer type of room -note in this case the room description had stayed the same!! and you can go in and reset back to a standard room and get the cheaper price-not sure if WDW or DLR do this-haven't come across it before but worth knowing.
TR Exploration Europe

Me DH DD:

Aussie Wendy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 04:50 PM   #45
shushh
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussie Wendy

Yes thanks. I have booked after a last minute contretemps where I thought prices had gone up overnight but a kindly soul on the Paris boards advised that sometimes they change the advertised deal to a dearer type of room -note in this case the room description had stayed the same!! and you can go in and reset back to a standard room and get the cheaper price-not sure if WDW or DLR do this-haven't come across it before but worth knowing.
Great! Congratulations for booking! What did you go for in the end?

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: