Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read



Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-20-2012, 09:22 PM   #1
dizneekrazee
Fullfilling my bucket list, one vacation at a time....
 
dizneekrazee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Bay Area, CA
Posts: 2,572

Short time in Grand Cayman

We are taking our first DCL vacation next year!! Western Caribbean on the Fantasy. Our time in Grand Cayman is shorter than I would have liked, about 4.5 hours.

Is that how long ships are usually docked there? I just feel like we are going to be so pressed for time, and this is the port I am most loking forward to.
__________________
DBF & I DS15 DS10 DS8

DLR-Many times!!WDWTBD DCLfingers crossed for 10/15
Walt Disney Family Museum 3/12Club 33 8/12, 5/13, 8/13Pixar Animation Studios 1/13Aulani 4/13Walt's Apartment 5/13
dizneekrazee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 09:28 PM   #2
kcashner
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 33,275

First. the ships do not dock in Grand Cayman. This is a tender-only port as there is a coral reef encircling the island.

On most of our Westerns, we had a full day at GC--like 9 or 9:30 to 4:30. Not sure why the later arrivals this year.
kcashner is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 11-20-2012, 09:42 PM   #3
2disneycruzrs
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: St. Louis, Missouri
Posts: 810

I was just on the island last week and noticed the Fantasy was there from 10:30-4:00. The next day, the Magic was there 7:00-4:00 or thereabouts. The reason for the tender is because there are political issues over the rights to building a true dock that has been going on for years, while they keep losing itineraries annually due to not having a dock.
__________________
Jen
Click Here for Cruise Packing List, First-Timer Tips, Airline and Port Information and More.
Click Here for Stateroom Photos of Dream/Fantasy 6186 and 6190 plus Wonder/Magic 8102 and 8532.

Wonder 10/14 * Reimagined Magic 12/13 * Swan/Dream/Animation: 12/12 * Beach Club: 1/12 - work * AKL/Dream: 9/11 - my daughter's and nieces' first cruise! * Beach Club/Wonder: 11/08 - work * Beach Club/Wonder: 8/08 - work (I get paid to go?!) * Dolphin/Wonder: 12/05 * RCCL - Jewel inaugural season (Western) 4/05-work * RCCL - Serenade inaugural season (Alaska) 8/04 - work * Swan/Magic: 11/03 Eastern * Dolphin/Wonder 10/02 - our honeymoon * WDW '83
2disneycruzrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 10:06 PM   #4
jennab05
Mouseketeer
 
jennab05's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Minneapolis
Posts: 102

i just got off the fantasy and our ship wasn't there very long either. if you were wanting to do an excursion i think you'd still be able to if it was one you booked thru disney cause then you're guaranteed to be back to the ship before the ship leaves.
jennab05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 10:12 PM   #5
dizneekrazee
Fullfilling my bucket list, one vacation at a time....
 
dizneekrazee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Bay Area, CA
Posts: 2,572

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennab05
i just got off the fantasy and our ship wasn't there very long either. if you were wanting to do an excursion i think you'd still be able to if it was one you booked thru disney cause then you're guaranteed to be back to the ship before the ship leaves.
I hope I don't have to do that. Disney doesn't offer the combo tour I want to do, and I'm sure they charge more.
__________________
DBF & I DS15 DS10 DS8

DLR-Many times!!WDWTBD DCLfingers crossed for 10/15
Walt Disney Family Museum 3/12Club 33 8/12, 5/13, 8/13Pixar Animation Studios 1/13Aulani 4/13Walt's Apartment 5/13
dizneekrazee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 10:35 PM   #6
believinthemagic
Mouseketeer
 
believinthemagic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 357

I don't have any good advice, but just wanted to say we are in the same situation.

Our time at Grand Cayman says 11:30-4:45. we really want to go to Boatswains turtle farm. Originally we wanted to book thru DCL for the peace of mind of the boat not leaving without us. But we've realized that it's over $200 more expensive for our family of 5 to book through DCL than it is to buy admission straight from Boatswains. Not sure what to do
__________________
Many trips as a kid- Ft. WildernessJan 2000- offsiteJan 2001- Treehouse VillasJanuary 2002- PolynesianJanuary 2003 All Star MoviesNovember 2003- Disney Cruise & All Star MoviesFebruary 2005 - Port Orleans FQFebruary 2006 - All Star MoviesJune 2007- All Star MoviesOctober 2008 - Port Orleans FQOctober 2009- Port Orleans FQNovember 2010 - Port Orleans RiversideJanuary 2012- Port Orleans FQJanuary 2013 Cruise on Disney Fantasy
believinthemagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 10:55 PM   #7
codex57
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: NorCal
Posts: 48

Oh I remember this excursion now. Best part of the W. Carib for me. I didn't think much of the rest of the island.

Still, I don't remember it being next to where the cruise ships are. If time is that tight, I gotta imagine you would want to book through DCL for the peace of mind. I mean, I don't remember traffic being bad there but I can also see a bad accident screwing up traffic. Plus, tendering generally means you wanna be done extra early to allow time to get back on board as it's not a quick process.
codex57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 11:05 PM   #8
Docklobster
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 28

I'm disappointed with the arrival times also, on both Cozumel and GC. Seems like they could be earlier and not cause a crunch for activities like diving etc. I don't mind the tender though as I don't want to see another reef destroyed like they did in Cozumel.
Docklobster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 11:21 PM   #9
dizneekrazee
Fullfilling my bucket list, one vacation at a time....
 
dizneekrazee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Bay Area, CA
Posts: 2,572

Quote:
Originally Posted by believinthemagic
I don't have any good advice, but just wanted to say we are in the same situation.

Our time at Grand Cayman says 11:30-4:45. we really want to go to Boatswains turtle farm. Originally we wanted to book thru DCL for the peace of mind of the boat not leaving without us. But we've realized that it's over $200 more expensive for our family of 5 to book through DCL than it is to buy admission straight from Boatswains. Not sure what to do
We want to do the Turtle Farm & Stingray City, and I didn't see both being offered by DCL.
__________________
DBF & I DS15 DS10 DS8

DLR-Many times!!WDWTBD DCLfingers crossed for 10/15
Walt Disney Family Museum 3/12Club 33 8/12, 5/13, 8/13Pixar Animation Studios 1/13Aulani 4/13Walt's Apartment 5/13
dizneekrazee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 11:49 PM   #10
dizneekrazee
Fullfilling my bucket list, one vacation at a time....
 
dizneekrazee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Bay Area, CA
Posts: 2,572

Wait!! I think DCL does offer what I want.

Island Tour and Snorkeling with Stingrays

http://disneycruise.disney.go.com/cr...th-stingrays/#

This tour also includes Hell, which doesnt matter to me if we go there or not, although I am sure the kids would get a kick out of it!

I found a company, although not sure how reputable, that would be $285.96 for the 4 uf us (DBF is not coming ) and with DCL it would be $256, plus the added security of the ship waiting for me.

My only worry, would be if this excursion would fill up. I get last dibs on excursions/Palo/Remy/etc bc I am a CM.
__________________
DBF & I DS15 DS10 DS8

DLR-Many times!!WDWTBD DCLfingers crossed for 10/15
Walt Disney Family Museum 3/12Club 33 8/12, 5/13, 8/13Pixar Animation Studios 1/13Aulani 4/13Walt's Apartment 5/13
dizneekrazee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 01:33 PM   #11
believinthemagic
Mouseketeer
 
believinthemagic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 357

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizneekrazee
Wait!! I think DCL does offer what I want.

Island Tour and Snorkeling with Stingrays

http://disneycruise.disney.go.com/cr...th-stingrays/#

This tour also includes Hell, which doesnt matter to me if we go there or not, although I am sure the kids would get a kick out of it!

I found a company, although not sure how reputable, that would be $285.96 for the 4 uf us (DBF is not coming ) and with DCL it would be $256, plus the added security of the ship waiting for me.

My only worry, would be if this excursion would fill up. I get last dibs on excursions/Palo/Remy/etc bc I am a CM.
We didn't book any excursions right when our time opened. We waited a while, a few weeks probably, and had no problem booking an excursion. So hopefully you will have no problem when your time opens!!

Sounds like its a good deal to go thru DCL for you! Unfortunately for our family of 5 the turtle farm excursion is $420 thru DCL but only $185 if we buy admission thru boatswains. I'd love the assurance of being booked through DCL but that price difference is too huge to justify!!
__________________
Many trips as a kid- Ft. WildernessJan 2000- offsiteJan 2001- Treehouse VillasJanuary 2002- PolynesianJanuary 2003 All Star MoviesNovember 2003- Disney Cruise & All Star MoviesFebruary 2005 - Port Orleans FQFebruary 2006 - All Star MoviesJune 2007- All Star MoviesOctober 2008 - Port Orleans FQOctober 2009- Port Orleans FQNovember 2010 - Port Orleans RiversideJanuary 2012- Port Orleans FQJanuary 2013 Cruise on Disney Fantasy
believinthemagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 01:44 PM   #12
dizneekrazee
Fullfilling my bucket list, one vacation at a time....
 
dizneekrazee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Bay Area, CA
Posts: 2,572

Quote:
Originally Posted by believinthemagic

We didn't book any excursions right when our time opened. We waited a while, a few weeks probably, and had no problem booking an excursion. So hopefully you will have no problem when your time opens!!

Sounds like its a good deal to go thru DCL for you! Unfortunately for our family of 5 the turtle farm excursion is $420 thru DCL but only $185 if we buy admission thru boatswains. I'd love the assurance of being booked through DCL but that price difference is too huge to justify!!
We are a family of 5 as well, although only 4 of us will be cruising now. I didn't check the price from Boatswains directly, as I was looking for a combo tour. But, I unless the DCL site has the wrong prices listed, it is only $5 more (total, not each) vs Capt Marvin.

While I am a CM, from my understanding, we do not get discount on excursions from DCL, I just went with their regular price on the website.
__________________
DBF & I DS15 DS10 DS8

DLR-Many times!!WDWTBD DCLfingers crossed for 10/15
Walt Disney Family Museum 3/12Club 33 8/12, 5/13, 8/13Pixar Animation Studios 1/13Aulani 4/13Walt's Apartment 5/13
dizneekrazee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 02:14 PM   #13
Floridagram
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Central Florida
Posts: 846

Quote:
Originally Posted by believinthemagic View Post
I don't have any good advice, but just wanted to say we are in the same situation.

Our time at Grand Cayman says 11:30-4:45. we really want to go to Boatswains turtle farm. Originally we wanted to book thru DCL for the peace of mind of the boat not leaving without us. But we've realized that it's over $200 more expensive for our family of 5 to book through DCL than it is to buy admission straight from Boatswains. Not sure what to do
Due to the fact that we are in port for such a short time, and due to the fact it is a tender port, we are going to pay the extra to take DCL excursions. It would be far cheaper than the extra $200 and guarantee that you will make it back to the ship in time than to have to pay to take a plane and hotel room to catch up to the ship at the next port. Not only that but you would have no personal items and only the clothes on your back. Once the last tender leaves it is gone and you would be stuck. I look at it as "insurance" and worth it for the peace of mind.
__________________
Carnival Holiday-1992,NCL Norway-1996,Carnival Ecstasy-1998,Carnival Tropicale-1999,RCCL Voyager of the Seas-2001,RCCL Mariner of the Seas- 2004,HAL Zuiderdam-2004,HAL Westerdam-February 2007,Disney Magic-April 2007.Carnival Liberty-May 2008,DCL Fantasy- May 2012, CCL Freedom-Aug 2012, DCL Fantasy April 2013,NCL Jewel-Aug 2014, DCL Wonder Sept. 2014, CCL Liberty Oct 2014, Nov 2014 (B2B) RCCL Enchantment Nov 2014
Floridagram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 02:29 PM   #14
believinthemagic
Mouseketeer
 
believinthemagic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 357

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floridagram View Post
Due to the fact that we are in port for such a short time, and due to the fact it is a tender port, we are going to pay the extra to take DCL excursions. It would be far cheaper than the extra $200 and guarantee that you will make it back to the ship in time than to have to pay to take a plane and hotel room to catch up to the ship at the next port. Not only that but you would have no personal items and only the clothes on your back. Once the last tender leaves it is gone and you would be stuck. I look at it as "insurance" and worth it for the peace of mind.
That was my original thought. My problem is that another thread had multiple people saying that they purchased their admission directly through the turtle farm (which offers free transportation) and they all said that they were shuttled there and back on the SAME bus as the people who booked through DCL.

I do not want to miss the boat, but I also hate to be on the exact same bus and pay $200 extra for the same thing.
__________________
Many trips as a kid- Ft. WildernessJan 2000- offsiteJan 2001- Treehouse VillasJanuary 2002- PolynesianJanuary 2003 All Star MoviesNovember 2003- Disney Cruise & All Star MoviesFebruary 2005 - Port Orleans FQFebruary 2006 - All Star MoviesJune 2007- All Star MoviesOctober 2008 - Port Orleans FQOctober 2009- Port Orleans FQNovember 2010 - Port Orleans RiversideJanuary 2012- Port Orleans FQJanuary 2013 Cruise on Disney Fantasy
believinthemagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 02:31 PM   #15
believinthemagic
Mouseketeer
 
believinthemagic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 357

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizneekrazee View Post
We are a family of 5 as well, although only 4 of us will be cruising now. I didn't check the price from Boatswains directly, as I was looking for a combo tour. But, I unless the DCL site has the wrong prices listed, it is only $5 more (total, not each) vs Capt Marvin.

While I am a CM, from my understanding, we do not get discount on excursions from DCL, I just went with their regular price on the website.
We were only looking at Boatswains, not any combo with it. But just the admission to Boatswains is $45 per adult (12 & older) & $25 per kids. Several people on another thread have said they bought their tickets online from Boatswains website (which includes transportation) and they were shuttled there and back on the same bus as all of the people who booked through DCL.

Unless this is incorrect I hate to spend over $200 more and be on the same bus.
__________________
Many trips as a kid- Ft. WildernessJan 2000- offsiteJan 2001- Treehouse VillasJanuary 2002- PolynesianJanuary 2003 All Star MoviesNovember 2003- Disney Cruise & All Star MoviesFebruary 2005 - Port Orleans FQFebruary 2006 - All Star MoviesJune 2007- All Star MoviesOctober 2008 - Port Orleans FQOctober 2009- Port Orleans FQNovember 2010 - Port Orleans RiversideJanuary 2012- Port Orleans FQJanuary 2013 Cruise on Disney Fantasy
believinthemagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:37 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.