Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-20-2012, 12:08 AM   #31
shinysparklybubbles
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PammyK
What about this - make them a "coupon" for each recipe and put together a "coupon book" that they can redeem once a month for the kind that appeals to them that month. When they "redeem" each coupon, put it on a scrapbook page for that month that maybe includes a photo of your daughter and a little journal entry to tell them what they mean to you. You could maybe tie it in to the bread they choose. So a cranberry nut bread makes you thankful because you know you probably drove them nuts when you did xyz in the 7th grade but they still loved you anyway. Then, at the end of the year, give them the finished scrapbook.
Love this.
Old 11-20-2012, 07:12 AM   #32
stacy347
I carried a watermelon?

I am doing something similar (baking breads and other treats for all the parents/grandparents). I just wanted to add that I found some great flavored butter recipes on Pinterest that I am including with the breads. I think it is a great gift!
May 16-22, 2010 Seralago Resort ~ so much fun!
June 17-23, 2012 Regal Palms ~ loved it!
Oct. 4, 2012 Disney on Ice: Rockin' Ever After
stacy347 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-20-2012, 07:21 AM   #33
ilovemk76
DIS Veteran

I thnk it is a nice gift. My favorite gifts are ones somebody makes.
Old 11-20-2012, 07:25 AM   #34
MIGrandma
A woman is like a tea bag. You never know how strong she is until she's in hot water~Eleanor Roosevelt
I have a toilet problem
33 people looked, and not one followed the rule!

Haven't read any of the replies, but I don't think your idea sounds lame at all, not at all! It is a thoughtful gift from the heart and will take time to accomplish, those are the BEST gifts of all! Something your parents will appreciate each month. I think it's a WONDERFUL idea. I would LOVE something like that from our grown adult children!!
Old 11-20-2012, 07:29 AM   #35
mhsjax
DIS Veteran

I think it is a fantastic idea. I would be thrilled for my kids to do that for me, once they get old enough.
mhsjax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 08:30 AM   #36
Bren's Mom
DIS Veteran

I think the idea is lovely, and if anyone wants to do that for me I'd be happy to accept!

If it were me I'd do a coupon book with 'This coupon entitles you to one freshly baked loaf of bread, flavor of your choice, in the month of [month]'. I'd then put all the coupons together (staple is fine) and add a list of bread ideas that I can do. I love the cutting board idea, but it would also be sweet to just bake a loaf the day you'll see them (or day before) and add some compound butter in a jar that's nicely decorated and give it all to them in a nice basket or something.

(What comes to mind right now is the English Muffin bread and a strawberry butter....yummmmmmmm...can someone make one for me?? Pretty please? LOL)
Old 11-20-2012, 08:42 AM   #37
ckay87
demented and sad...but social
This morning I had "you can't overlook your underwear" stuck in my head
Scared by a clapper in her teens

My parents are pretty much the same. I love your idea so much that I think that I should finally buy myself that bread maker I've been wanting!!

And to the poster who said that homemade gifts are the best. My parents have always told me that and as a mom myself I agree.

You are awesome!
ckay87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 08:49 AM   #38
sharbear
DIS Veteran

Great idea! If you wanted something else how about adding freezer jam to put on the bread. I think your parents will love your idea.
sharbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 09:24 AM   #39
kimmar067
We have squash and zucchini coming outta the wazoo
I just shot coffee through my NOSE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimblebee View Post
So, I've come up with a possible Christmas gift for my parents this year but I'd like some opinions.

My parents have everything that they could want. They travel often and go out for dinner and a show whenever they feel like it. They are both in their mid 60s and are semi retired. They have told us they have no idea what they want, because if they want it they buy it whenever.

I am 36 and a single mom. I work in a crappy job where I don't earn a lot, but for various reasons this is what I choose to do. They know I don't have a lot of money to spend on Christmas and even if I did they'd rather I spent it on my daughter.

Enough of the background.. On to my great idea.

I have a bread maker and they enjoy it when I make a loaf of bread for them. What if I printed out 20 or so bread recipes and let them choose 12 so I could make them a loaf a month? I would choose recipes that I'm sure they would like such as cranberry or raisin.

Writing it out makes it seem kind of lame but I really think they would enjoy this. I'm starting to second guess myself so I am really, truly looking for honest opinions.

Thanks for reading.
....sorta like a "BoTM" club [bread-of-the-month] .....kewl; I LOVE it!

[...it's the gift that keeps on giving.... ]
July 1992~off-site Dec 1999~CSR Feb 2001~DxL Nov 2001~Dolphin July 2002~CBR Aug 2002~WL Feb 2005~AKL/concierge Feb 2005~AKL Aug 2006~PoP C Aug 2006~AKL Dec 2007~DolphinJuly/Aug 2010~Mystic Dunes April 2013 ~ AKL"That's IT! The absolutely, positively VERY LAST Marino....." "We WEREN'T the 'Castle Family', We Didn't..." "The Trippie Who Hath...""Am I Up to the Challenge..."
I've been BOO'ED!!!
kimmar067 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: