Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-20-2012, 11:26 AM   #16
tigercat
Cook, clean and foot massage. Boy that sounds like heaven!
I dislocated my jaw when I ate a piece of lettuce

Our Christmas parade was this past weekend. On Remembrance day the Malls here stopped everything at 11 and had On Flanders Field read over the PA, then had taps (I think) done and then had 2 minutes of silence. Everything and everyone stopped what they were doing for the whole time. It was nice.
What is really frustrating though on another board there were people from the U.S. saying that only vets in the States should be recogniced as the one's from Canada and the UK were really not noticed anyway. That only vets from the States really fought in any of the wars. Some people were really upset at any other vets getting attention. What was really funny though was that the vets from the States were really standing up for all vets and wanted all the vets recogniced not just them.
I don't think any Christmas things should be done until after Remembrance. Day
tigercat
tigercat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 11:38 AM   #17
lizabu
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigercat View Post
Our Christmas parade was this past weekend. On Remembrance day the Malls here stopped everything at 11 and had On Flanders Field read over the PA, then had taps (I think) done and then had 2 minutes of silence. Everything and everyone stopped what they were doing for the whole time. It was nice.
What is really frustrating though on another board there were people from the U.S. saying that only vets in the States should be recogniced as the one's from Canada and the UK were really not noticed anyway. That only vets from the States really fought in any of the wars. Some people were really upset at any other vets getting attention. What was really funny though was that the vets from the States were really standing up for all vets and wanted all the vets recogniced not just them.
I don't think any Christmas things should be done until after Remembrance. Day
tigercat
yeah....anyone who says such a thing is pretty ignorant and not worth thinking about what they said. Any of the US vets are the ones who know what they're talking about. Canada and the UK were in the war way before the US. There are always people who think USA is the only country in the world but I like tho think they are a minority.
lizabu is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-20-2012, 12:14 PM   #18
JennaDeeDooDah
My oh my what a wonderful day!

Quote:
Originally Posted by plutotek View Post
Actually, the movie starts either 5 or 6 weeks before Christmas, which puts it right around our Thanksgiving.
It's 6 weeks before Christmas. But, this year, Thanksgiving is as early as it can possibly be and it is less than 5 weeks before Christmas. Plus, people really seem to complain about decorations being up prior to Christmas.

JennaDeeDooDah is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 04:00 PM   #19
Northstar
DIS Veteran

Just wanted to say that many of my neighbors put up their outside lights last weekend, and the street looks very pretty tonight.

The ladies who sell their homemade wreaths roadside out the back of a truck haven't showed up yet, and the tree lots aren't set up. I expect to see them starting around December 2nd.
Old 11-20-2012, 04:03 PM   #20
goofyintoronto
Proud foot flusher
I really wanted to like it, but I didn't

I didn't read the previous posts, but here in Toronto many people put their decorations up right after the Santa clause parade. the parade was just this past Sunday. its always around this time.

Sent from my Galaxy SII

........."Please stand clear of the doors. Por favor, mantengase alejado de las puertas".........

AUGUST "2013" DINING REVIEW / AUGUST "2012" DINING REVIEW
goofyintoronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 06:26 PM   #21
Kimbysmom
Mouseketeer

This time of year is always confusing for me, because I'm an American who has lived in Canada for the past eleven years. So, this week is Thanksgiving for my family, even though my husband is Canadian (he'll use any excuse to eat turkey though, so he loves celebrating American Thanksgiving .)

In years past, I've always had the Christmas tree up on the day of the Toronto Santa Claus parade, which was Sunday, and then I decorate the rest of the house and outside on Black Friday. I actually enjoy having the tree up for my Thanksgiving dinner.

We couldn't do that this year though, because we're remodeling our kitchen, and our dining room and kitchen are just a mess (which I hate, lol.)

I must admit, I do feel weird when I see my neighbors' houses lit up before American Thanksgiving. I can look outside right now and see three houses in full Christmas mode. It just isn't quite Christmas yet to me, yet I understand how people in Canada are ready for the holiday season at the same time.

Kimbysmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 07:49 PM   #22
CdnCarrie
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disneefun View Post
That is one thing (among many) that I really love and respect about the UK and Canada. You guys put a lot more emphasis on Remembrance Day (our Veteran's Day) than we do. Sure, we have parades, etc. but generally it's just another occasion for more sales here. Not much real "remembrance" goes on.

When I lived in the UK, I was blown away by how much more respect was given to that day than here in the US.
Umm yup until a few years ago stores weren't even open onNovember 11th let alone sales. Now a few places are but not until after 1 p.m.

November 11th is so not a day for sales.
CdnCarrie is online now   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: