Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-20-2012, 08:45 AM   #1
Disneyplanners
Mouseketeer

Kids birthday party invites

DS6 is turning 7 in a few weeks, and we are having a birthday party for him at a place that has parties for 10 kids. You can add more, but the room would probably get overcrowded and the price is pretty high for each child over 10. Our plan was to invite his cub scout group (7 kids) and his class (18 kids) and hope to get around 10. The party place is about 20 miles away. I was initially worried we wouldn't get enough kids to come, now I'm wondering if we will get too many. Would you invite both groups? When my older son turned 7 we invited his class to his party and only 4 came. What has your experience been with kids parties and turnout? Thanks!!

Last edited by Disneyplanners; 11-20-2012 at 08:51 AM.
Disneyplanners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 09:04 AM   #2
Erin1700
At least I am bragging about using soap!

My experience is it never turns out the way I think it will.

I think that is way too many kids to take a risk on. I would invite the scouts and then his 3 best friends from class. (sending invite to their home, not to school)

With the holiday coming, I am not sure how many people will drive to a party that far away though.
Erin1700 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-20-2012, 09:04 AM   #3
MomToPirate&Princess
Mouseketeer

We invited my son's class in Kindergarten and again in 1st grade. The first year I think 9 kids showed up. The next year only 2 came. Might depend on what else is going on in your area that weekend and how well you know the families of his classmates.

The year 9 kids showed up, there were several kids in his class that he had known in preschool and/or that I knew the parents.

The year we only had 2 classmates show up it happened to be the first weekend of spring break and a lot of people were out of town.

It's always a toss up. You want kids to show up for your child, but at the same time you don't want too many kids to show up.

Good luck.
MomToPirate&Princess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 09:09 AM   #4
Becky2005
I actually thought they made Leg Warmers to keep your legs WARM

Ohh...THAT is tough. I have had it where everyone shows and I have had it where only a few show. Are any of the Cub Scouts in his class, so that would cut down on the initial count?

If it is is a place that the kids will think is super fun (i.e. a trampoline type place) be prepared for almost all to show. If it is something that can be typically done or has been done several times (i.e. bowling), maybe not so many.

I might do the only invite the boys of the class along with the Cub Scouts as that would probably get you closer to 10 without worrying about going over by a whole lot. If there are any girls he is super friendly with, you could invite them also vs. all the girls.

Otherwise you do run the real possibility of 25 kids showing up..not likely but if you invite them -- are you prepared for everyone to show up? You could easily get 18

Becky2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 01:01 PM   #5
cornflake
DIS Veteran

Why not just tell him to pick ten people to invite from whichever? I wouldn't risk what you're doing.
cornflake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 01:05 PM   #6
java
I am embracing the Turkey Butt
We have the mentally insane lab and the incredibly flatulent Bulldog
I'm the mean wife

The worst part of Birthday planning- the invite list. I say pick the boys from the class- (I am assuming the 18 is everyone) Are there any overlaps in boy scouts from the class.

It depends on what is happening around the day of the party. My son's birthday this year was just 5 friends (at the 10 kid place) because of a Cub Scout thing. (we are not cub scouts) It actually was great for him because his 5 besties showed up and he had a great time. Generally I say go with around 13 invites to guarantee 10 attendees. But it can be a dice roll.

What about an A and a B list? Sounds terrible but maybe use the cub scout troop as the back up kids? If you get no's early on. My other peeve is why is RSVP so hard for some people to understand?
java is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 01:11 PM   #7
anniemae
Either she is eating a delicious meal, or she keeled over in starvation

I wouldn't risk it. I would invite the class then once you get the replies, if there is room, invite the scout group.
anniemae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 01:19 PM   #8
2binak
DVC Owner

I would have him pick a total of 10 kids and not worry about inviting an entire group.

11/90 Offsite, 11/97 PO, 5/99 DL, 1/00 CS, 1/04 PC, 12/05 SSR, 5/07 AKL, 10/08 SSR, 5/09 POFQ, 11/09 AKV Kidani, 11/10 AKV Kidani, 10/11 BWV, 10/12 BWV, 11/13 AKV Kidani, 5/14 BLT, 11/14 BWV
2binak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 01:24 PM   #9
Disneyplanners
Mouseketeer

Thank you for your replies! I looked over the classroom rules, and it looks like we can invite just the boys from his class. So to be safer, I think we'll invite the cub scout group and the boys from school. He doesn't like girls yet anyway
Disneyplanners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 01:41 PM   #10
mdsoccermom
DIS Veteran

I would not even worrying about inviting an entire specific group. Just tell him to pick the 10 boys to whom he is closest.
mdsoccermom is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: