Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-20-2012, 09:07 AM   #1
left210
DIS Veteran

Anyone use coconut oil?

I have been reading about all the benefits of coconut oil? Does anyone use it and if so how? If you take it orally how much do you take?
left210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 09:36 AM   #2
Lilliputian
DIS Veteran

I use it for all kinds of things. One of my children is allergic to milk, so I use it instead of butter in cooking. Plus I use it on our skin for various ailments, sometimes alone and sometimes as a carrier for some type of herb I want to put on. I also make a mixture with coconut oil, olive oil, and garlic to rub on our feet when we have colds.

I know that some people take it plain, but since I use it in cooking so much, I think we get plenty that way. I buy mine from Tropical Traditions. I buy the expeller pressed (kind that doesn't taste of coconut) in 5 gallon buckets. I buy the green label (tastes like coconut) in one gallon buckets for things like frosting, cookies, and other foods where we want the coconut flavor. Then I buy the gold label (highest quality) in quart jars for medicinal use. I also buy the coconut cream concentrate to make my own coconut milk for cooking and to stir into smoothies.
Lilliputian is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-20-2012, 09:38 AM   #3
monkeybug
I feel safer when I know where they are than I do when they're crawlin' around unknown

I use it in baking, not for health benefits, but because it's delicious!
monkeybug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 09:39 AM   #4
Princess on the Run
Sprinkling Pixie Dust!!!

I use it for all kinds of things between treating cuts or skin problems, infections, using it in my hair, etc. It's kind of a miracle cure for everything under the sun. Apple Cider Vinegar is another good one.

Princess on the Run is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 09:54 AM   #5
Bilberry
DIS Veteran

For me, I usually use a spoon full of coconut oil when frying up meats. It's delicious, making the stir fry taste better.

Therapeutically, many seem to have taken an interest in Dr. Newport's work with her husband. He has Alzheimer's and has been responding positively to his disease by taking 12 Tbs of coconut oil a day.

"The LLVLC Show (Episode 612): Dr. Mary Newport Updates Latest On Ketogenic Diet And Alzheimer’s Disease"

http://livinlavidalowcarb.com/blog/t...-disease/15601
Bilberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 09:59 AM   #6
MissManda
DIS Veteran

I am trying to put more coconut oil in my diet because of all the health benefits. I know some people that just get a big old tablespoon full of it and eat it by itself. I can't do that. What I do though is spread it on toast in place of butter. I also mix it in with my oatmeal. Rest of family doesn't like it as much so I don't cook with it a lot (yet). I will say though, it really does make a really good grilled cheese.

1st Trip- May 2009- CBR
2nd Trip- Sept 2010- POFQ- MNSSHP
3rd Trip-June 2012- Offsite condo.
4th Trip- possibly a solo??? TBD
MissManda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 10:18 AM   #7
monkeybug
I feel safer when I know where they are than I do when they're crawlin' around unknown

Have those of you who use it for health benefits done much research on it? Through reputable sources?
I've read that while coconut oil is better than butter, it is still a saturated fat and should be used only in moderation, just like any other saturated fat.
I like to use it to replace some butter in recipes, and I use it in a few bread and pastry recipes (because it makes it taste better), but we still use olive oil for the majority of our cooking.
monkeybug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 10:23 AM   #8
afnaechiquita
DIS Veteran

My roommate in college used to stick a spoonful in the rice cooker when making jasmine rice. I never really tasted it IN the rice, but it made it come out a little more smoothly.
WDW (off-site) '90 - Caribbean Beach '07 - French Quarter '08 - Riverside '11 - Riverside '12 - Tokyo DisneySea '12 (one-post quick TR here!) - DLR (off-site) '13 - Grand Californian '14 (presidential suite tour here!) - Yacht Club '14
Princess Half Marathoner '11 - '12 - GSC '14 for runGKTW! - training for DLH '14 for SOSC!

afnaechiquita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 12:46 PM   #9
timmac
DIS Veteran

I use it for popping popcorn on the stovetop. It's the way to get movie-theater type popcorn at home
timmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 01:01 PM   #10
sunshinehighway
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeybug View Post
Have those of you who use it for health benefits done much research on it? Through reputable sources?
I've read that while coconut oil is better than butter, it is still a saturated fat and should be used only in moderation, just like any other saturated fat.
I like to use it to replace some butter in recipes, and I use it in a few bread and pastry recipes (because it makes it taste better), but we still use olive oil for the majority of our cooking.
I've read there are different types of saturated fats and coconut oil is a type that is better than others. Honestly, I go by how I like it, how I feel and if there are any changes (positive or negative) to my health. I tend to not pay attention to what "they" say is good and bad. I think most of the time "they" are just guessing anyways.
sunshinehighway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 01:55 PM   #11
Robbi
DIS Veteran

I use it as a moisturizer not so much in cooking because very little of what we cook requires oil.
Robbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 01:59 PM   #12
lakelandgal70
Life is too short for fake butter, cheese or people....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilliputian View Post
I use it for all kinds of things. One of my children is allergic to milk, so I use it instead of butter in cooking. Plus I use it on our skin for various ailments, sometimes alone and sometimes as a carrier for some type of herb I want to put on. I also make a mixture with coconut oil, olive oil, and garlic to rub on our feet when we have colds.

I know that some people take it plain, but since I use it in cooking so much, I think we get plenty that way. I buy mine from Tropical Traditions. I buy the expeller pressed (kind that doesn't taste of coconut) in 5 gallon buckets. I buy the green label (tastes like coconut) in one gallon buckets for things like frosting, cookies, and other foods where we want the coconut flavor. Then I buy the gold label (highest quality) in quart jars for medicinal use. I also buy the coconut cream concentrate to make my own coconut milk for cooking and to stir into smoothies.

Tropical Traditions is the best! They also have awesome organic honey. Coconut oil is used a lot around here! Love to use it to cook with. Also after I bathe the dogs I take a little and rub it in my hands and rub in their fur. Makes their skin and fur soft and they smell good. Also use it for dry skin and acne. Great stuff!!
lakelandgal70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 02:01 PM   #13
Luv2Scrap
The only way is if you have the Gypsy
Y'all are going to get me in so much trouble with my supervisor!
The new baby was much more interactive

I've started using it for my exczema on my hands - works pretty well. I'm trying to branch out - I'd like to try using it on my hair but I need someone to tell me how! Wet hair or dry? Roots or ends or both?

I'd like to start getting it into my diet but can't bring myself to just eat a spoonful. And I don't eat a lot of things that I would want tasting like coconut!
Nov '09 Pop - free dining
Aug '10 CSR - Free dining and BCV for our first DVC trip home!
Jan '12 CSR - Free dining
Luv2Scrap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 02:30 PM   #14
Casperina
Mouseketeer

I make lotion bars that double as bath melts from...
~3.5 parts solid raw cocoa butter
~1 part solid raw coconut oil
~0.5 parts sweet almond oil
a few drops of essential oils of choice
I picked up some heart-shaped ice cube trays at IKEA...

Makes you super soft and smell yummy.
Non-toxic, too

ME DH
May your day be filled with happy wonder!
Casperina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 03:09 PM   #15
WhateverLolaWants
DIS Veteran

I bought some because I read it helps with keratosis pilaris, but I haven't actually used it on myself yet. I feel a small amount to my dog daily because the benefits are plenty. I tried a tiny bit myself orally but it is like eating lard, not for me. Trader Joe's sells it in a huge jar for only $5.99 which is a huge deal compared to other brands.

Trips

October '87, June '91, Summer '93, Summer '97, December '98, July '99, April '00, December '02, August '03, November '03, January - May '07 (College Program),
January '08 (WDW and Disney Wonder), February '08 (DL/CA), December '08, October '09, February '11, January '12, February '13, October '13,
December '13 and on - Florida Resident Annual Pass
WhateverLolaWants is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: