Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-20-2012, 08:30 AM   #1
AmericangirlinFrance
DIS Veteran

Ladies Health question - TMI maybe!

Hi DIS ladies,

I am trying to figure out what in the heck is wrong with me. Last week I was positive I had a urinary tract infection.I have had them before and I'm familiar with my symptoms. I bought one of those home test strip kits at the drug store - yep, positive for infection. I called my family doctor, went in for an appointment. They did a urine culture, but went ahead and prescribed me a normal course of antibiotics (3 days of Cipro) to take, even though the results of the urine test weren't back yet.

I have had UTIs in the past and normally 3 days of Cipro clears everything right up. Well, after 3 days of antibiotics my symptoms are not any better. The doctor's office called me yesterday and said that my urine culture was normal - no infection! They said I could come back in for another appointment, but "we don't know what else it could be."

Now, I am waiting on my gynecologist to call me back - I thought maybe she would have more insight.

Has anyone had this happen to them before? What was wrong? Why were my home UTI tests positive, but the doctor's test negative? I'm so frustrated - my main symptom (major urgency and painful full bladder sensation) is so bad it is seriously interfering with my daily life. Ugh!!!

Florida residents!
AmericangirlinFrance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 08:37 AM   #2
Mandychelle79
DIS Veteran

Your home sample was most likely contaminated with some normally occurring bacteria ( AKA not a clean catch sample).

Not sure what would cause the symptoms though. If i get those symptoms it is typically after waiting way too long to urinate, and my bladder goes into spasms. But they go away quickly.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-20-2012, 08:41 AM   #3
cassandrap83
Only 3hrs from the Magic :)

agree with PP

But, it could be a bladder infection, or even a kidney infection.

Is your pee smelly or cloudy? If not, then it may be something else.
cassandrap83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 08:47 AM   #4
AmericangirlinFrance
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandychelle79 View Post
Your home sample was most likely contaminated with some normally occurring bacteria ( AKA not a clean catch sample).

Not sure what would cause the symptoms though. If i get those symptoms it is typically after waiting way too long to urinate, and my bladder goes into spasms. But they go away quickly.
That's what I figured too - home sample was probably contaminated. BUT, my doctor's office did not do a clean catch sample, either - probably also contaminated! (They are not very good - I am looking for another). So I'm not sure why my results were so different...

Florida residents!
Old 11-20-2012, 08:48 AM   #5
pigletgirl
You do have a life. It is just in cyber world
If its chocolate I'll eat it!

Have you thought about BV? I had similar symptoms and lo and behold that is what it was. Hope you figure it out! Yes, it does suck.

I've been BOO'ed by GoofyinToronto!
pigletgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 08:51 AM   #6
AmericangirlinFrance
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigletgirl View Post
Have you thought about BV? I had similar symptoms and lo and behold that is what it was. Hope you figure it out! Yes, it does suck.
Is BV bacterial vaginosis? I didn't think about it because I thought I wasn't really having "typical" symptoms. I thought BV had more yeast infection-like symptoms... I'm not having any symptoms like that.

I would be thrilled if I had something like that. Easy to treat. I am so over this!

Florida residents!
Old 11-20-2012, 08:58 AM   #7
kellyg403
She changes friends like she changes underwear
NEVER GO INTO THE BOWELS OF HELL aka teenager bedroom WITHOUT TURNING ON THE LIGHTS

OP, no advice as I have no idea but wanted to say I hope that you feel better soon.

I have had kidney infections before that took months to clear up. I had some of these symptoms, but I also had a fever from time to time and general malaise as well. It seems once I get the UTI it causes the kidney infection no matter how quickly I get to the dr. While I was pregnant with one of my dd's I had to stay on medication for the last 5 months because I could not get rid of the infection and I was sick sick sick.

At my last yearly it was discovered that because of several pregnancies and infections, my bladder is tilted, which is part of another problem I have. I can't cough or sneeze without issue!

Good Luck OP. Hopefully your dr will be able to give some options as to what it could be.

Kelly
Old 11-20-2012, 09:11 AM   #8
pigletgirl
You do have a life. It is just in cyber world
If its chocolate I'll eat it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericangirlinFrance View Post
Is BV bacterial vaginosis? I didn't think about it because I thought I wasn't really having "typical" symptoms. I thought BV had more yeast infection-like symptoms... I'm not having any symptoms like that.

I would be thrilled if I had something like that. Easy to treat. I am so over this!
I don't know. I would make an appointment with your gyno. She should point you in the right direction. I hate problems like this.

I've been BOO'ed by GoofyinToronto!
pigletgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 09:12 AM   #9
AmericangirlinFrance
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigletgirl View Post
I don't know. I would make an appointment with your gyno. She should point you in the right direction. I hate problems like this.
Yes, I'm waiting for a call back from the gyno's office. My family doctor was incredibly unhelpful.

Florida residents!
Old 11-20-2012, 09:23 AM   #10
Tinker'n'Fun
"apple", peaches, "pumpkin pie", who's not ready holler "I"...
i'm just trying to be optimistic!
I am SO CLUELESS and I hate it!!

I just went through this. It was an urinary infection that did not show up. I was given 3 days Cipro which hid it for another 2 weeks. I was in agony. Finally the test came back via one done at a lab with a clean catch 3 wipe version and a blood test to back up the white blood count.

10 more days Cipro - finally clear. In the meantime I have learned that my bladder is very sensitive. Up your water intake. Add in a few glasses of cranberry juice.

Also, after you make the appt, ask if you can start on AZO - it is over the counter now, does make your urine orange, but is like an anticeptic to your bladder and does help with the pain and the urgency. It may skew an urine test, so make sure you have that done first, the go get some. It is cheapest at Walmart.

Last - there are many UTIs that are resistant to Cipro so make sure to ask that question also. You may need Macrodantin (sp) or a Sulpha is you are not allergic.

The water will make you go more and if you are sensitive already just be aware.

Hope you feel better really soon.

Forgot - I always had a feeling of UTI very early in my pregnancies, you may want to consider that if you are in the proper age group.
Tinker'n'Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 09:32 AM   #11
AmericangirlinFrance
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinker'n'Fun View Post
I just went through this. It was an urinary infection that did not show up. I was given 3 days Cipro which hid it for another 2 weeks. I was in agony. Finally the test came back via one done at a lab with a clean catch 3 wipe version and a blood test to back up the white blood count.

10 more days Cipro - finally clear. In the meantime I have learned that my bladder is very sensitive. Up your water intake. Add in a few glasses of cranberry juice.

Also, after you make the appt, ask if you can start on AZO - it is over the counter now, does make your urine orange, but is like an anticeptic to your bladder and does help with the pain and the urgency. It may skew an urine test, so make sure you have that done first, the go get some. It is cheapest at Walmart.

Last - there are many UTIs that are resistant to Cipro so make sure to ask that question also. You may need Macrodantin (sp) or a Sulpha is you are not allergic.

The water will make you go more and if you are sensitive already just be aware.

Hope you feel better really soon.

Forgot - I always had a feeling of UTI very early in my pregnancies, you may want to consider that if you are in the proper age group.
Thanks so much for that! That sounds exactly like what has happened to me. I am wondering if (1) my doctor's office screwed up my urine sample (since it was not a clean catch), or (2) I have a UTI that responds better to another antibiotic.

And I hope I am not pregnant! I'm on birth control. Supposed to have my period in another week.

The Azo does help me but it tends to make me kind of dizzy and upset my stomach a little, so I don't love to take it.

I have an appointment with my gyno at 11 so hopefully it will get cleared up.

Florida residents!
Old 11-20-2012, 09:40 AM   #12
Tinker'n'Fun
"apple", peaches, "pumpkin pie", who's not ready holler "I"...
i'm just trying to be optimistic!
I am SO CLUELESS and I hate it!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericangirlinFrance View Post
Thanks so much for that! That sounds exactly like what has happened to me. I am wondering if (1) my doctor's office screwed up my urine sample (since it was not a clean catch), or (2) I have a UTI that responds better to another antibiotic.

And I hope I am not pregnant! I'm on birth control. Supposed to have my period in another week.

The Azo does help me but it tends to make me kind of dizzy and upset my stomach a little, so I don't love to take it.

I have an appointment with my gyno at 11 so hopefully it will get cleared up.
I am really glad you are being pro-active. The infections can make you feel absolutely horrible. I am still dealing with left-over exhaustion. I have been very diligent with my water intake since this last episode. I know I am much older than you but as you age they are harder to get over.

I know this is also a TMI but make sure you are going to the ladies room "after" if you get my drift. And if you get UTIs very easy ask your Gyno today if you would benefit from a very low dose Cipro "after" also. I went through a cycle of my life where I had to take an antibiotic with the next meal after. It did help also.

There are a lot of options out there if you make sure you are diligent and are not afraid to ask questions. You would not believe how common this really is.

Get some rest and if you are up to it, report back.
Tinker'n'Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 10:06 AM   #13
Muushka
I usually feel like I just stepped in it
I do love to see a cat while on vacation
Well hot-diggity-dog, another Groupie!

Just some random thoughts about UTIs

Regarding a clean catch. It is up to you whether or not you do a clean catch. The med assistant may tell you to go get a sample, but you can certainly do a clean catch without them telling you to do one. As far as the wipes, just ask for one. I always do a clean catch even if it is just a normal urinalysis. Better sample.

I'm a lab person. If I had a dollar for every urine test I have done.....I digress. For some reason, and I have no idea what that reason is (well, maybe a little idea...later) a urine sample from the same person may show infection one time and hardly any the next time without meds. I suspect it may have to do with time of day, how diluted it is. Who knows. But in any event, see a doc if you suspect you have one.

When a culture is performed, the bacteria is identified and in addition a sensitivity is performed. Literally small discs of different antibiotics are dropped onto a large plate (that has been swabbed with the urine or the bacteria from the original culture, if I remember correctly, it has been years) that you can measure whether or not the antibiotic will work. Looks like this:

See the disc at about 5 o'clock? Resistant.
See the one just above it, to the right? Probably sensitive

Depending on the bacteria identified (gram pos or gram neg), different drugs are tested. So while you may have a UTI, you may not necessarily be put on the correct antibiotic to begin with. Usually Cipro can take care of most bacteria, but not all. Plus, starting out with 3 tablets of any antibiotic and then switching to another, well, it makes that initial antibiotic one that may have difficulty working on you in the future. Unless I was dying with pain from the UTI (which, twice, I thought I would die! and did take the initial meds before C and S), I would hold off and wait to make sure I was on the correct one to begin with.

~Remember 9/11/2012
~The IRS. Today it's 'them', tomorrow it's YOU!
~I would rather be governed by the first 50 names in the Boston telephone book
than by the professors at Harvard. ~William F. Buckley Jr.
Muushka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 10:27 AM   #14
AmericangirlinFrance
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muushka View Post
Just some random thoughts about UTIs

Regarding a clean catch. It is up to you whether or not you do a clean catch. The med assistant may tell you to go get a sample, but you can certainly do a clean catch without them telling you to do one. As far as the wipes, just ask for one. I always do a clean catch even if it is just a normal urinalysis. Better sample.

I'm a lab person. If I had a dollar for every urine test I have done.....I digress. For some reason, and I have no idea what that reason is (well, maybe a little idea...later) a urine sample from the same person may show infection one time and hardly any the next time without meds. I suspect it may have to do with time of day, how diluted it is. Who knows. But in any event, see a doc if you suspect you have one.

When a culture is performed, the bacteria is identified and in addition a sensitivity is performed. Literally small discs of different antibiotics are dropped onto a large plate (that has been swabbed with the urine or the bacteria from the original culture, if I remember correctly, it has been years) that you can measure whether or not the antibiotic will work. Looks like this:

See the disc at about 5 o'clock? Resistant.
See the one just above it, to the right? Probably sensitive

Depending on the bacteria identified (gram pos or gram neg), different drugs are tested. So while you may have a UTI, you may not necessarily be put on the correct antibiotic to begin with. Usually Cipro can take care of most bacteria, but not all. Plus, starting out with 3 tablets of any antibiotic and then switching to another, well, it makes that initial antibiotic one that may have difficulty working on you in the future. Unless I was dying with pain from the UTI (which, twice, I thought I would die! and did take the initial meds before C and S), I would hold off and wait to make sure I was on the correct one to begin with.
Very interesting info! Thanks. So I guess there is a possibility that I have an infection that does not respond to Cipro. Although if my urine culture supposedly came back clear... I don't know.

Going to the doctor now to get some answers, hopefully!

Florida residents!
Old 11-20-2012, 10:33 AM   #15
Sorsha
People, don't be like the chickens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinker'n'Fun View Post

I know this is also a TMI but make sure you are going to the ladies room "after" if you get my drift. And if you get UTIs very easy ask your Gyno today if you would benefit from a very low dose Cipro "after" also. I went through a cycle of my life where I had to take an antibiotic with the next meal after. It did help also.

There are a lot of options out there if you make sure you are diligent and are not afraid to ask questions. You would not believe how common this really is.

Get some rest and if you are up to it, report back.
As you state in your post, especially the bolded, I can't over-emphasize enough how important this is!! I too am painfully prone to UTIs, and when I get them, they usually do NOT respond to Cipro, so I have to use a different antibiotic.

Even a little MORE TMI!! Years ago, however, my Gyno told about the going-to-the-bathroom-afterwards trick, and then also advised me to make sure things were as clean as possible "before"... the act of intercourse may cause bacteria to get pushed into the urinary tract. The routine of "wash first, urinate after" has kept me UTI-free for several years now.

"My kids' through the years at Disney parks" video!
Sorsha is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: