Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-19-2012, 07:54 PM   #1
hidmickey:myantidrug
DIS Veteran

Question About Italian Charm Bracelets

I'm buying an Italian charm bracelet as a gift, and I'm buying some charms (links?) for it that I plan to attach before giving her the bracelet. On amazon, in the "other people who searched for this bought" section, there was a tool that's used to remove/add the charms. Is this something I'll need in order to get the charms on/is it something that I should get for the girl I'll be giving it to? I have no experience with these kinds of bracelets, so any advice you can give would be much appreciated!
hidmickey:myantidrug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 08:18 PM   #2
3boymthr
DIS Veteran

Just make sure that for the non-glass beads you buy beads that are sterling - and don't buy if they say they're made in china or say they're shipping from china 'cause they say they're sterling but yeah, they're not (learned this the hard way). If you don't buy sterling there is a chance the beads will fall apart, the coating will peel off and, the skin will turn green (yeah, you really don't want your friends skin to turn green), they say they fit the bracelet but really they don't.... It makes it much more pricey but believe me normal colored skin is worth it.

ETA - if you buy a quality bracelet you won't need a tool to put the beads/charms on and off. They spin over the fastner and then will slide easily over the bracelet.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-19-2012, 08:30 PM   #3
scdak
DIS Veteran

I am wondering if the first two posts are talking about the same type of bracelets? Italian charm bracelets (i have many) are little links that hook on to each other and yes, there is a little tool that helps open then up to link them but it can be done by hand too, it just takes a little practice. I have the little tool which I bought from Claires but that was a few years ago.

The bracelet that the beads twist over the end are typically Pandora/Chamillia/Troll etc and they are beads that go on a necklace, bracelet etc.
POR Jan 2012
POFQ Oct/Nov 2012
WL / POFQ Fall 2014 - maybe sooner
SOONER IT IS - March 30-April 5 - offsite with family

October 2015 - just starting to think about it
scdak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 08:34 PM   #4
tinkerbellandeeyor
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by scdak View Post
I am wondering if the first two posts are talking about the same type of bracelets? Italian charm bracelets (i have many) are little links that hook on to each other and yes, there is a little tool that helps open then up to link them but it can be done by hand too, it just takes a little practice. I have the little tool which I bought from Claires but that was a few years ago.

The bracelet that the beads twist over the end are typically Pandora/Chamillia/Troll etc and they are beads that go on a necklace, bracelet etc.
I was thinking the above but I am not the OP
Old 11-19-2012, 08:35 PM   #5
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by scdak
This is the kind that I'm talking about.
Old 11-19-2012, 09:47 PM   #6
elgerber
Sometimes you gotta bite the bullet & see a movie alone
Likes to grill year round

I have the little tool, and when I was adding new charms, I found it very helpful!
Old 11-20-2012, 02:19 PM   #7
DIS Veteran

Thanks to the posters who have responded!
Old 11-20-2012, 04:27 PM   #8
Diznygrl
Disneyland Fanatic
But really, let's get real. I've never met a donut I didn't like

Technically you don't NEED the special tool, but it can be a real pain in the behind to put the links together by hand, depending on your dexterity and the stubbornness of individual charms (some are harder to slide, etc.). I don't have the tool, but if the girl you're giving the bracelet to is young, you might want to consider it.

BTW, it's nice to hear someone talk about Italian charms again...they've pretty much gone by the wayside because of the Pandora/Chamillia bead craze. I still love my Italian charm bracelet, but sometimes I feel like I'm the only person who still wears one.
Old 11-20-2012, 04:59 PM   #9
scdak
DIS Veteran

OP - just for fun I did a search on Ebay for the device you are looking for, it appears there are at least 3 different types and none are very expensive. If you use Ebay or know someone that could do it for you simply search italian charm tool. I have the one that looks like a tiny spoon with a bent piece of metal at the end, the "spoon" part is where your thumb goes to control it and the little metal piece goes in the link to let you put it apart and allow another one to be attatched. The other 2 would do the same thing but I like the way the spoon type one works for me, its easy to hold on to. I searched US only, free shipping and there were some in the $3-4 price range and a few higher. I love my Italian charm bracelet and have collected charms from many places where I have traveled. These bracelets are very different from Chamllia/Pandora in size and weight, they are less visible but fun to wear when you don't want to have alot on your wrist but still want to wear something nice. I think I have about 10 filled bracelets now, one of them is all charms I bought on an Alaskan cruise, others are from places I have been to, some are some of my likes/hobbies etc. But don't worry, I have 5 filled Pandoras/Chamillia bracelets and 3 necklaces too, I am an equal opportunity jewelry wearer
POR Jan 2012
POFQ Oct/Nov 2012
WL / POFQ Fall 2014 - maybe sooner
SOONER IT IS - March 30-April 5 - offsite with family

October 2015 - just starting to think about it
scdak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 08:02 PM   #10
mamacatnv
I am the queen of straw!
Almost anything can be fixed with pasta
Do my DH's "Shorty Shorts" count?
I go in search of code!

There is a tool!?! Dangit, I have a small chip in one of my front teeth from an Italian charm.

I loved the Italian charm bracelets, they were lots of fun. I also have a Pandora bead bracelet but the Italian charms were so much more affordable and easily changed. The Pandora has to be completely undone to change one bead
POFQ-1/1-1/9/07, ASMu-Dec 05/Jan 06 ASSp-Dec 99/Jan 00 Turn of the Century
Thanks AidensMom
mamacatnv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 09:55 PM   #11
DIS Veteran

Well I certainly don't want a chipped tooth! And since they're so cheap, I think I'll get one just to have in case. Thanks everyone!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: