Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-20-2012, 11:12 AM   #1
3southerngirls
Earning My Ears

Any info on Northeast PA area?

We just found out we are moving and I need help, please.
Basic info:

-job will be in Waymart, PA
-We have 3 kids (13,10, and 8) so schools are important, but homeschooling is an option.
-we are willing to commute around 45 mins. to work
-we would like an area that has shopping and activities within a few minutes drive
-we will be moving from Florida, so any advice on how to adjust will be very appreciated! (I guess I won't be wearing flip flops and shorts most of the year)

Thanks!
3southerngirls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 11:25 AM   #2
FlightlessDuck
Pluto's personal nose scratcher
Dumb people spoiling my fun makes me a sad Panda

All I can tell you is that Waymart is a small borough in Wayne county. It does not appear that Wayne county has any large cities. The county seat is Honesdale. I think it is part of Western Wayne SD, but I can't say that for sure.

Canaan is a high security federal prison in Canaan Township, about 2 miles to the southwest.

It is 25 miles Northeast of Scranton. I suggest you do your research focusing on Scranton and the surrounding area.

There will be quite a bit of snow at times. It appears the yearly average is around 55.8 inches (not all at once...).

That's all I know. I have no experience in that area specifically. I've been to Scranton a few times, though.

'87: Off Site, '94: GF, '02: FWC, '06: POP, '09: CSR, '10: POP, '12: CSR
FlightlessDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-20-2012, 11:38 AM   #3
Lynne M

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3southerngirls View Post
We just found out we are moving and I need help, please.
Basic info:

-job will be in Waymart, PA
-We have 3 kids (13,10, and 8) so schools are important, but homeschooling is an option.
-we are willing to commute around 45 mins. to work
-we would like an area that has shopping and activities within a few minutes drive
-we will be moving from Florida, so any advice on how to adjust will be very appreciated! (I guess I won't be wearing flip flops and shorts most of the year)

Thanks!
Waymart is a very small town, but it's about a half-hour from Scranton, which is a decent-sized city. You could look somewhere in between, or in the Carbondale area.

I don't know what part of FL you'd be moving from, but there's a real small-town feel in that part of PA, even around a city like Scranton. The surrounding areas are rural. But, you're only a few hours drive from Philadelphia, if you're looking for sporting events, concerts or theater.

The biggest adjustment for you will probably be the weather. Get ready for very long, cold, snowy winters. The upside is, summer weather is lovely, much pleasanter temps and humidity levels than FL.

How soon will you be moving?
Lynne M is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 11:42 AM   #4
FlightlessDuck
Pluto's personal nose scratcher
Dumb people spoiling my fun makes me a sad Panda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynne M View Post
But, you're only a few hours drive from Philadelphia, if you're looking for sporting events, concerts or theater.
Binghamton is even closer, although that's not anywhere near Philly size.

'87: Off Site, '94: GF, '02: FWC, '06: POP, '09: CSR, '10: POP, '12: CSR
FlightlessDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 11:58 AM   #5
Lynne M

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlightlessDuck View Post
Binghamton is even closer, although that's not anywhere near Philly size.
Ah, yes, I forgot about Binghamton. It does have a state university campus, so that's another spot to find events.

And there's your area, Allentown/Bethlehem/Easton. That's what, about two hours from Scranton? 90 minutes, maybe?
Old 11-20-2012, 12:03 PM   #6
Mkrop
I just cant go on demand
Hi my name is Mkop and I am a cart leaver!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynne M View Post
Ah, yes, I forgot about Binghamton. It does have a state university campus, so that's another spot to find events.

And there's your area, Allentown/Bethlehem/Easton. That's what, about two hours from Scranton? 90 minutes, maybe?
DH is from Wilkes Barre, a small town called Plains. WB is the "big city". His parents and other family are there. His cousin is in Kingston.

But we drive from Chester Co up the NE Extension of the turnpike and it takes us just a little over 2 hours to get to WB, and Scranton isnt that far from there is it? Flightless Duck's area would be much closer, I would think.
June 2008 Contemporary
Dec 2008 Boardwalk Inn
June 2009 Disneyland Hotel and DCA
Jan 2010 DVC Boardwalk Villas
Dec 2010 DVC BLT
July-Aug 2011 Disneyland Park Vue Inn
Dec 2011 DVC BW
July 2012 DVC BC
Dec 2013 DVC AKL/BW
Aug 2014 DVC DCA
Mkrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 12:03 PM   #7
Tinker'n'Fun
"apple", peaches, "pumpkin pie", who's not ready holler "I"...
i'm just trying to be optimistic!
I am SO CLUELESS and I hate it!!

DH and I just spent a long weekend in the area. If you are going up for a look-around please PM me. I can tell you about the area, what we observed and recommend a wonderful B&B that you can stay in while you look around. It is rural with patches of small cities in between. If you like quaint small towns you will love this area.

We did take a drive to Mt. Pocono from this area and it took us 50 minutes. It is a large community and there were quite a few in between that looked much more urban. So if you were to split it and have a 30 minute drive you could be in a much larger area.

It was beautiful and yes I can see it being very snowy. AND it is EXTREMELY hilly and full of mountains. We luckily rented a car. Our small car would have struggled with some of the hill/mountain roads that we encountered.
Tinker'n'Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 12:54 PM   #8
rgf207
DIS Veteran

Born and raised in Scranton, PA. I can tell you anything you need to know about Schools, where to live, etc. feel free to PM me. Here's some basic info to get you started

- I recommend living in Clarks Summit. It's a small borough right outside of Scranton. 20 minutes to everything shopping, dining and entertainment. For even more specific locations within Clarks Summit, PM me.

- If you live in Clarks Summit, the school of choice is Abington Heights school district. It's one of the best districts in the area.

- Pennsylvania has 4 seasons: Almost Winter, Winter, Still Winter and Construction. Plan and dress accordingly

2002 - Off Site;2004 - Off Site;March 2005 - AKL;Sept 2005 - PoP, POR, ASMo;May 2006 - POR;June 2007 - BCV;June 2008 - SSR; March 2009 - SSR; August 2009 - SSR, AKV; Feb 2010 - VWL; Jun 2010 - BCV; Feb 2011 - AKV; June 2012 - BLT

Last edited by rgf207; 11-20-2012 at 01:02 PM.
rgf207 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 01:25 PM   #9
Lynne M

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgf207 View Post
- Pennsylvania has 4 seasons: Almost Winter, Winter, Still Winter and Construction. Plan and dress accordingly

Old 11-20-2012, 04:58 PM   #10
cousinbb
Burn the Bridge of Retreat

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgf207 View Post
Perfect sum up!! rofl

My Sept.trip report of 2008
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1964578
Our Italian waiter was flirting with us!!trip report
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2313132
cousinbb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 05:49 PM   #11
bballmom56
DIS Veteran

I was going to mention Clarks Summit! Both of my kids went to college in Scranton and one is living there now so we have become very familiar with the area. There was just a report in The Times-Tribune (Scranton's newspaper) that the Abington Heights district was the highest scoring district in the area on the SAT.

We have found the people in that area to be very friendly, down to earth and always willing to talk. It is a little slower pace of life than we are used to in the NYC metro area. Scranton has many beautiful historic buildings and some of those have been redeveloped into apartments which has attracted the young professionals. We have also found some great restaurants there.

It will be quite a difference from Florida, but it could be a nice place to live.
bballmom56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 08:36 AM   #12
rgf207
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bballmom56 View Post
I was going to mention Clarks Summit! Both of my kids went to college in Scranton and one is living there now so we have become very familiar with the area. There was just a report in The Times-Tribune (Scranton's newspaper) that the Abington Heights district was the highest scoring district in the area on the SAT.

We have found the people in that area to be very friendly, down to earth and always willing to talk. It is a little slower pace of life than we are used to in the NYC metro area. Scranton has many beautiful historic buildings and some of those have been redeveloped into apartments which has attracted the young professionals. We have also found some great restaurants there.

It will be quite a difference from Florida, but it could be a nice place to live.
Yes, I totally agree. Clarks Summit is a very nice community. People are very friendly and you get a real sense of community there. People will say Hi to you when you pass them on the street. They have a lot of community events and gatherings. Very nice churches (if you attend) and some great restaurants. Colarusso's Pizza is the best pizza EVAR!!

You are absolutely correct on the pace. It is a slower pace of life there but it's great.

2002 - Off Site;2004 - Off Site;March 2005 - AKL;Sept 2005 - PoP, POR, ASMo;May 2006 - POR;June 2007 - BCV;June 2008 - SSR; March 2009 - SSR; August 2009 - SSR, AKV; Feb 2010 - VWL; Jun 2010 - BCV; Feb 2011 - AKV; June 2012 - BLT
Old 11-21-2012, 09:32 AM   #13
petchie
DIS Veteran

we have a summer house at Lake Wallenpaupack. There is NO easy route from Clarks Summit to Waymart. It is all back roads. I would stay on the east side of I-81. Try looking in the Wesern Wayne School District. Nice area, and good schools.
petchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 09:37 AM   #14
rgf207
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by petchie View Post
we have a summer house at Lake Wallenpaupack. There is NO easy route from Clarks Summit to Waymart. It is all back roads. I would stay on the east side of I-81. Try looking in the Wesern Wayne School District. Nice area, and good schools.
Sure there is. The Casey Highway (Rt 6) will get you there. It's not a back road. It was actually built for that reason.

Old 11-21-2012, 09:51 AM   #15
petchie
DIS Veteran

The Casey can be a nightmare in the winter, high winds and lots of ice on that mountain ridge. Doing Casey to 81 to clarks summit is a roundabout way and with PA construction even worse.

I still think staying on the east side of 81 is better and Western Wayne made US NEWS best schools list. There are some really nice areas in Western Wayne and will be much closer than CLarks Summit.
petchie is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: