Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-20-2012, 06:06 AM   #31
mhsjax
DIS Veteran

NO fixing Thanksgiving dinner isn't that complicated. I have done it for 20-30 people many times. Everyone is different. I for one would never put anything in the freezer and serve it, others do, but I am totally against stuff from the freezer. If people want to fix stuff early fine, it they want to freeze fine, I do mine all the night before and the day of.

Last edited by mhsjax; 11-20-2012 at 06:26 AM.
mhsjax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 06:07 AM   #32
mhsjax
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemk76 View Post
You know this how?

The hardest part of making a turkey is getting ready for the oven and starting it early enough. The only cranberry sauce I will eat is the one I make from whole berries. I would not eat it 10 days later. It is NOT hard to make.
YOu got that right on the hardest part. I HATE that job.
mhsjax is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-20-2012, 06:34 AM   #33
java
I am embracing the Turkey Butt
We have the mentally insane lab and the incredibly flatulent Bulldog
I'm the mean wife

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemk76 View Post
You know this how?

The hardest part of making a turkey is getting ready for the oven and starting it early enough. The only cranberry sauce I will eat is the one I make from whole berries. I would not eat it 10 days later. It is NOT hard to make.
Not hard to make at all but it takes up a burner on my stove that will used to be making the things that need to be made day of- like mushrooms, stuffing, the bird. And I have eaten it more than 10 days later and I am still alive. But to each their own.

I'm afraid to mention that I read about seasoning the turkey and leaving it uncovered in the fridge the day before. - Supposed to crisp the skin better by drying it out a bit. I'm trying it. I better figure out what time it needs to go in the oven.
java is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 07:01 AM   #34
Jedana
Have to learn to budget somehow. Want the latest video game? Save up. Want a new Beyblade? save up. Want a new Dooney and Burke? Grab the credit card out of DH's wallet...

I made an apple pie yesterday. Mainly because I wanted something sweet..not because Thanksgiving is coming up. And I didn't feel like making cupcakes.

I'll make the pumpkin pies Wednesday (moms recipe, makes 3 and I can't cut the sucker down--doesn't taste right). I'll also make the cornbread for stuffing Wednesday (and lightly cover, let it sit overnight to stale a bit). I'll chop the onions and celery for the stuffing as well. the only other thing I do on Wednesday is brine the turkey.

Thursday is easy.

4 hours before wanting to eat, I put the turkey in the oil-less fryer. I fry sausage, onions and celery for stuffing and assemble it, minus the broth. Chop potatoes and sweet potatoes, and soak in water (to remove some of the protein [I think, thanks Alton!] and potassium.) Get the neck in some chicken stock to simmer (no organ meats---bad for DH) with some onions and celery.

2 hours out, put out some snacks...veggies and dips, cheese/slice meats platter (smoked sausage, etc), crackers. Toss a salad for dinner.

1 hour out, strain stock. add to stuffing, put in oven. drain potatoes. Quick boil sweet potatoes until barely done, drain and mix with cinnamon, nutmeg and brown sugar. Boil potatoes, make mashed. Cook green beans (boil to just al dente)--drain and toss with a bit of olive oil, chunk garlic salt and pepper. Bake sweet potatoes, toss green beans in oven to crisp. Bake rolls. Make gravy.

Sit, eat, relax.
Jedana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 08:35 AM   #35
Minnesota!
Shoeless in Minnesota
Has lots of rules in bed
Must have my Jelly Belly's from the Main Street candy store
I am quite spacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christine View Post
I agree about the cranberry sauce. It really can last a long time due to the high acidity. However, I think the major contention might be the sweet potatoes.
I bake sweet potatoes/baker potatoes on Sunday nights and have one each day thru the week. Been doing this for years! Anything not eaten thru the week gets turned into breakfast potatoes on Saturday morning. Never would even bat an eye at pre-baked potatoes.

We are going to DH's aunts on Thurs, but we are having our own T-day dinner on Friday at home (there are never leftovers at dh's aunts). I took my turkey out last night, I have everything purchased for our meal. But since it's just the 4 of us, no cleaning to do, and I can do everything on Friday morning after I toss the turkey in..

Minnesota! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 08:47 AM   #36
Kennywife
Sometimes miracles take a little time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnesota! View Post
I bake sweet potatoes/baker potatoes on Sunday nights and have one each day thru the week. Been doing this for years! Anything not eaten thru the week gets turned into breakfast potatoes on Saturday morning. Never would even bat an eye at pre-baked potatoes.

We are going to DH's aunts on Thurs, but we are having our own T-day dinner on Friday at home (there are never leftovers at dh's aunts). I took my turkey out last night, I have everything purchased for our meal. But since it's just the 4 of us, no cleaning to do, and I can do everything on Friday morning after I toss the turkey in..
Yep. My mom did that all the time I was growing up. She would make meals on Saturday and freeze them. We would eat them all week and I was always happy and well fed.
Kennywife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 08:49 AM   #37
Kennywife
Sometimes miracles take a little time

We plan to prepare the dumplings....they are my family's speciality, the night before and cook them in the pot the day of. The pies I will make tomorrow and also the cookies. We try to get a lot of stuff done beforehand so one person doesn't spend the whole day in the kitchen.
Kennywife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 08:58 AM   #38
ilovemk76
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kennywife View Post
Yep. My mom did that all the time I was growing up. She would make meals on Saturday and freeze them. We would eat them all week and I was always happy and well fed.
This is why it worded.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: