Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-19-2012, 04:21 PM   #16
WowLookAtThat
DIS Veteran

Just here putting off cleaning

All this is making exciting to start cooking! On Wednesday I have to make the pumpkin pie and turkey (will re-heat and inject with the sauce on Thursday) and on the Big Day I am going to make the rest of the sides.
WowLookAtThat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 04:28 PM   #17
mhsjax
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by java View Post
Well so far mostly cleaning not cooking. Today is cleaning ovens day- one done one to go.

While that was happening I made cranberry sauce. mmmmm my favorite leftover of thanksgiving I love eating it on sandwiches days later.

I am debating baking I think that will happen tomorrow. (pumpkin cinnamon chip cookies and a cake of some kind= probably chocolate something) and rolls will be made tomorrow. Or maybe now.... hmmm depends when the oven finishes up.

I will also make the potatoes tomorrow. But the biggies- turkey and spinach pie wait for Tday! I will rub down my turkey tomorrow and leave it uncovered in my hurricane Sandy cleaned fridge- I heard that tip today- gives you a drier skin so it crisps up nicely.

The problem with Thanksgiving is everyone expects to eat all the days leading up to and following! darn kids. So I feel like it's constant cooking. But I agree these are my favorite smells.
Pumpkin cinnamon chip cookies. YUMMY. Never heard of them, but they sound fantastic.
mhsjax is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-19-2012, 05:05 PM   #18
MariDisney
Learned a difficult lesson about eating chocolate in the dark!
Had to admit to eating bird poo to get what she wanted
Fully open=cool. Fully closed=cool. Half way=no can do

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemk76 View Post
ITA I would not touch the already made cranberry sauce or the already made sweet potatoes.
I make my cranberry sauce Tuesday and serve Thursday. I actually like it sitting in the fridge for a bit. Other foods I wouldn't let sit that long. I'm funny about leftovers. There's almost nothing I'd make on Monday and still eat on Thursday.
Mari...A Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow is Just a Dream Away...7/98 Carribean Beach ... 1/03 All Star Movies ...9/03 All Star Music ... 6/04 Port Orleans Riverside Honeymoon ... 1/05 Port Orleans French Quarter ... 1/06 Carribean Beach ...9/06 Pop Century ... 8/07 Port Orleans Riverside...9/08 Port Orleans French Quarter...9/09 Coronado Springs...9/11 Port Orleans Riverside
MariDisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 05:07 PM   #19
pigletgirl
You do have a life. It is just in cyber world
If its chocolate I'll eat it!

Quote:
ITA I would not touch the already made cranberry sauce or the already made sweet potatoes.
Rude. End of story.
pigletgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 05:13 PM   #20
Kennywife
Sometimes miracles take a little time

I always make my sweet potatoes a few days early; it's actually better pre-made than fresh. The pie, dumplings, and cookies I'll make on Wednesday. I will also brine my turkey that day. Then, on the big day, I cook the turkey and put the marshmallows on the sweet potatoes.

That's how my family has always done it and I've never had any complaints.
Kennywife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 06:52 PM   #21
lovin'fl
DIS Veteran

Finished my grocery shopping today. Got the turkey in the fridge to defrost. Have some holiday scented glade plug-ins in and it smells yummy in here. Will start my acini de pepe fruit salad tomorrow (it has to refrigerate for 24 hours) and clean on Wed. Will do most of my cooking on Thursday. Got some other errands to run tomorrow and had a friend's kids over and to the movies today while she worked (she will take my girls on Wed). Can't wait for Friday!
lovin'fl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 07:47 PM   #22
Terry36
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Well so far mostly cleaning not cooking. Today is cleaning ovens day- one done one to go.

While that was happening I made cranberry sauce. mmmmm my favorite leftover of thanksgiving I love eating it on sandwiches days later.

I am debating baking I think that will happen tomorrow. (pumpkin cinnamon chip cookies and a cake of some kind= probably chocolate something) and rolls will be made tomorrow. Or maybe now.... hmmm depends when the oven finishes up.

I will also make the potatoes tomorrow. But the biggies- turkey and spinach pie wait for Tday! I will rub down my turkey tomorrow and leave it uncovered in my hurricane Sandy cleaned fridge- I heard that tip today- gives you a drier skin so it crisps up nicely.

The problem with Thanksgiving is everyone expects to eat all the days leading up to and following! darn kids. So I feel like it's constant cooking. But I agree these are my favorite smells.
Please share your cranberry sauce recipe.
Terry36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 08:18 PM   #23
java
I am embracing the Turkey Butt
We have the mentally insane lab and the incredibly flatulent Bulldog
I'm the mean wife

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry36 View Post
Please share your cranberry sauce recipe.
I tried a new one this year
Bag of cranberries
1cup maple syrup
1cup water
1/2 cup sugar
3 Tbsp OJ
Zest of orange

In the past I have made Tyler florences
http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/t...pe3/index.html

Easy and yummy.
java is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 08:21 PM   #24
ilovemk76
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigletgirl View Post
Rude. End of story.
The rule is four days is for the trash. Thursday is the day four. Leftovers would be even longer.
Old 11-19-2012, 08:21 PM   #25
Southernmiss
I am hazed everyday

Not cooking, yet.

DH and I put together a list tonight (we are big list makers) of what we need to do before Tday. We now have a plan for tomorrow and Wednesday and Thursday. Taking it all bit by bit.

Put the turkey in the fridge tonight.

Doing my final shopping tomorrow. Will start to chop vegetables, etc. tomorrow night and then begin to assemble casseroles, dressing and desserts on Wednesday.

Wednesday will be full of final cleaning and arranging tables to accomodate 21.

Starting the turkey at 8 a.m. Thursday with the goal to eat at 1 p.m.
Southernmiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 09:40 PM   #26
PebblesMK
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JennaDeeDooDah View Post
We will be having Thanksgiving up in Kansas with my husband's family. I'm making my apple blueberry pie, but I'm waiting until tomorrow to do that. I have my pumpkin spice candles lit, though. Does that count? It's all the smells of Thanksgiving with none of the calories and none of the temptation to eat it!
Oh my lanta!! (is that how that phrase even goes?!?!), apple blueberry pie sounds delicious. Care to share your recipe?
PebblesMK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 04:30 AM   #27
java
I am embracing the Turkey Butt
We have the mentally insane lab and the incredibly flatulent Bulldog
I'm the mean wife

Quote:
The rule is four days is for the trash. Thursday is the day four. Leftovers would be even longer.
Said the person that has not cooked for a holiday crowd. And do you know what is in cranberry sauce? It lasts way longer than 4 days. According to Ocean Spray homemade cranberry sauce is safe in the fridge for about 10 days.
java is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 05:38 AM   #28
Christine
Would love to be able to sit on the couch for a few days, get a good book, and do NOTHING!
Considers the DIS as Bladder Training 101

Quote:
Said the person that has not cooked for a holiday crowd. And do you know what is in cranberry sauce? It lasts way longer than 4 days. According to Ocean Spray homemade cranberry sauce is safe in the fridge for about 10 days.
I agree about the cranberry sauce. It really can last a long time due to the high acidity. However, I think the major contention might be the sweet potatoes.

Vacation Home - Indian Creek - July 2012
Vacation Home - Terre Verde Resort - July 2009
Vacation Home - Terre Verde Resort - Easter 2007
Shades of Green - June 2005
Vistana Resort - May 01
Shades of Green - May 99
Shades of Green - Apr 97
CBR & Shades of Green - May 95
Christine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 05:49 AM   #29
Iforgetmypassword
"I am Mrs. Nesbit!!"

I usually cook for 20 people for Thanksgiving, and I only fix the cranberries and sweet potatoes on Wednesday. I only make pies ahead, and cut up leftover bread. They go in the freezer.

Wednesday is prep day. That's when I fix the cranberries, sweet potatoes, mix the dressing. And that's only because I'm serving 20! If we're having a smaller crowd, say, under 10 people, I'd still make the pies and cut up bread the weekend before, but I'd fix everything else on Thursday morning.

And we always have the meal at noon. Cooking a Thanksgiving meal isn't that complicated.
Iforgetmypassword is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 06:06 AM   #30
ilovemk76
DIS Veteran

Quote:

You know this how?

The hardest part of making a turkey is getting ready for the oven and starting it early enough. The only cranberry sauce I will eat is the one I make from whole berries. I would not eat it 10 days later. It is NOT hard to make.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: