DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > DVC Resorts
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-19-2012, 01:43 PM   #1
Maddysdaddy
DIS Veteran

Potentially insulting ( I hope not) question about SSR

Hi all.

Looking at taking a trip before Easter, and there is only sketchy availability in a studio at all of the WDW DVC resorts except SSR, where I can get 12 nights in a row.

Is it simply a matter that SSR has a much larger number of studios than any other DVC property, or is there some other reason that is not obvious to someone who has not stayed there before?

Thanks.
Maddysdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 01:50 PM   #2
DougEMG
DIS Veteran

Three reasons I would say:

(1) SSR is the largest resort by far with 432 potential studios, OKW is 2nd with 296 potential studios.

(2) SSR is not next to a park, although I do like being able to walk to DTD.

(3) Lots of members think the point costs are too high as compared to the other resorts. I bet that if SSR rooms cost the same as OKW rooms that a lot more people would want to book there.
Register to remove

Old 11-19-2012, 02:59 PM   #3
chalee94
I thought all sand was ground up rocks
He's used to walking n00bies

i'd agree with all of that.

if you are going to book only 4 months or so in advance (very "last minute" in timeshare terms), you will need to learn to love SSR...

chalee94 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 04:03 PM   #4
bobbiwoz
I'm happy to dance with you
I have 2 opinions
We had tried usual things to keep them away, including something like coyote urine, it is sold in hardware stores by us

And yet, there are people who book SSR every time because they like it a lot. I would take a 14 night stay at SSR over a stay where I have to move every 3-4 days or so.
Old 11-19-2012, 04:06 PM   #5
Maddysdaddy
DIS Veteran

Thanks for the replies.

The only DVC resort we have stayed at is VGC (even though our home resort is AKV) so that is our baseline for resort and room quality (high threshold).

I just wanted to check to make sure that the availability of SSR is not indicative of issues with quality or cleanliness.
Maddysdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 04:07 PM   #6
disneynutz

Earning My Ears One At A Time

Many SSR owners bought and either intended not to stay there very often if at all and/or they have now found out that they like other resorts better.

Bill

disneynutz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 04:11 PM   #7
chalee94
I thought all sand was ground up rocks
He's used to walking n00bies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddysdaddy View Post
I just wanted to check to make sure that the availability of SSR is not indicative of issues with quality or cleanliness.
i haven't stayed at SSR for several years, but i thought it was really nice at the time. i loved the furnishings and subtle theming - nice pool, too.

chalee94 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 04:15 PM   #8
bobbiwoz
I'm happy to dance with you
I have 2 opinions
We had tried usual things to keep them away, including something like coyote urine, it is sold in hardware stores by us

We stay there about every 18 months or so, and have never had a bad villa!
Old 11-19-2012, 04:27 PM   #9
dvcterry
DIS Veteran

Never had a bad villa, nor had a bad experience at SSR and i found the CMs were very nice. It is not out home resort but we've been waiting to go back there just because it is so relaxing and had pleasant experience the last stay.
Old 11-19-2012, 04:47 PM   #10
kermiebudge
Mouseketeer

We stayed in a studio at SSR 2 years ago (2 kids/ 2 adults) and were nervous too for the same reasons... BUT absolutely LOVED it!!! It was super-clean and bright.... For me that can make or break the trip. Got to have a sparkling clean room!!!!

The Springs area was great, but they have since opened another large, themed pool area. After spending the days in the hustle & bustle of the parks, the relative quiet of SSR was sooooo welcome! It was also very kid-friendly, so no worries there. Stayed at BWV last year and actually much preferred SSR, with the exception of being able to walk to Epcot from BWV
kermiebudge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 06:00 PM   #11
drusba

DIS Veteran

Quality and cleanliness is not the issue you should be concerned about. SSR is what you can get for the time you want and the real issue you should be focusing on is where in SSR you might want to stay and thus make a request with your reservation because, depending on your preferences, where you stay in SSR can have a significant impact on whether you will like the stay or not. Thus, you should go to the "Search" tab above and do an SSR search because there have been numerous threads discussing the varying locations that members prefer, e.g., if you want fantastic view go for Congress Park area but if you want close to main pool go for Springs. You will find a lot information in that regard in other threads.
Old 11-19-2012, 06:25 PM   #12
butsy113
AKV Owner

Have you thought of doing a split stay. With 12 nights you could try to get another resort for 6 and SSR for 6. Then you would get to experience 2 resorts. After about 5 or 6 days I'm usually ready for a change
Old 11-19-2012, 07:06 PM   #13
Deb & Bill
DVC-Trivia Contest, Apr-2006: Honorable Mention

Quote:
Originally Posted by butsy113 View Post
Have you thought of doing a split stay. With 12 nights you could try to get another resort for 6 and SSR for 6. Then you would get to experience 2 resorts. After about 5 or 6 days I'm usually ready for a change
Split stays are a pain in the patooty. You are homeless for most of the day, especially when I like to head back from the parks around noon. Odds are usually against you to get your villa by noon. Move in, unpack and settle in for the entire stay. You'll have plenty of time to try other resorts in the future.

Stop the madness. No more DVC construction.
Bring back Vacation Magic. Dump Disney Files!
Stopped drinking the Kool-aid long ago.
Deb & Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 08:02 PM   #14
Dean
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougEMG View Post
Three reasons I would say:

(1) SSR is the largest resort by far with 432 potential studios, OKW is 2nd with 296 potential studios.

(2) SSR is not next to a park, although I do like being able to walk to DTD.

(3) Lots of members think the point costs are too high as compared to the other resorts. I bet that if SSR rooms cost the same as OKW rooms that a lot more people would want to book there.
Exactly, it's large and it has a lower comparative demand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddysdaddy View Post
Hi all.

Looking at taking a trip before Easter, and there is only sketchy availability in a studio at all of the WDW DVC resorts except SSR, where I can get 12 nights in a row.

Is it simply a matter that SSR has a much larger number of studios than any other DVC property, or is there some other reason that is not obvious to someone who has not stayed there before?

Thanks.
For 12 nights I'd try to do a split stay. reserve the 12 nights at SSR, it's a very nice resort, and then look to see what else you can get for the start or end. If you can get 2-4 days together at a resort you'd like to try, take those then wait list a couple of extra days to add to it. Try to get to the situation where you have roughly 6 days at SSR and 6 days somewhere else (or whatever your preference is). Then if it's still your preference to stay elsewhere and avoid SSR altogether, you could start working on that. I'd suggest you put the SSR trip in one name and the alternative in another so they don't cancel your entire trip if you match a shorter wait list. Once you're done with that, you can still go back to the wait list to try to get an even better option or even more preferred resort. Remember you can only have 2 active wait lists at one time. For example, a WL for a savannah view studio at Jambo and the same at Kidani is actually your 2 wait lists.
Old 11-19-2012, 08:03 PM   #15
Sammie
DIS Veteran

We love SSR, and I think it is strictly a numbers situation. The new pool is fantastic and I like the new room decor.
Sammie is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: