Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Photography Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-20-2012, 06:54 PM   #16
tinkerbell615
DIS Veteran

Can you guys tell me what an SSD drive is?

tinkerbell615 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 07:10 PM   #17
boBQuincy
I am not carrying three pods
There's something about the smell of the chemicals that just shouts "Photography!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinkerbell615 View Post
Oops, too many nerd acronyms.
SSD is solid state drive, very much like the memory card in our cameras but on a larger scale. Instead of a spinning platter (like in a hard drive) the SSD has no moving parts and read/write time can be much faster than a hard drive. The SSD is more $$$ than a hard drive and generally much less capacity.

"Take the big pill, and go back to the SLR you know. Take the small micro 4/3 pill and you will never look at SLRs the same way again." a G3 and now a GX7. Photos at: suzieandbob.com

Our model monorail site: http://monorail.suzieandbob.com/

boBQuincy is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-20-2012, 07:12 PM   #18
Shutterbug
Baba Ganoush is my hero
No parking baby, No parking on the dance floor

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinkerbell615 View Post
Basically.....Its a flash drive as opposed to a spinning drive you find in traditional drives.
It allows for faster access to information on the drive thus increasing speed and performance.
Old 11-20-2012, 07:44 PM   #19
tinkerbell615
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by boBQuincy View Post
Oops, too many nerd acronyms.
SSD is solid state drive, very much like the memory card in our cameras but on a larger scale. Instead of a spinning platter (like in a hard drive) the SSD has no moving parts and read/write time can be much faster than a hard drive. The SSD is more $$$ than a hard drive and generally much less capacity.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shutterbug View Post
Basically.....Its a flash drive as opposed to a spinning drive you find in traditional drives.
It allows for faster access to information on the drive thus increasing speed and performance.
Thanks!

Old 11-20-2012, 08:00 PM   #20
photo_chick
Knows a little about a lot of things, a lot about nothing.

The lack of moving parts in an SSD means fewer things that can break. Which can be a good thing for something portable like a laptop.

photo_chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 09:25 AM   #21
tinkerbell615
DIS Veteran

I wanted to thank all of you once again for your help. I have found something that I believe should work!

Old 11-27-2012, 03:07 PM   #22
aimyourarrowshigh
Mouseketeer

Most things I was going to say have already been said, but I just wanna also throw out there that you might want to shop around and see if some computer models have - or if different stores sell computers with - certain useful programs pre-installed.
For instance, you might see 2 computers that are basically the same in terms of spec but one comes with Photoshop and is $100 more. Now, the extra $100 is worth it because if you're going to be buying Photoshop anyway, it saves you a lot of money. That's if you're going to be using it anyway.
aimyourarrowshigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 04:02 PM   #23
WilsonFlyer

DIS Veteran

This is regarding the comment with regards to the HP brand. For the record, I've served in the PC arena professionally since it's inception (and before).

All major manufacturers have professional lines and consumer lines. For example, with HP laptops, the consumer line is currently call Pavilion while the business line is called Pro Book. With these lines, you get what you pay for. Components are not components and build qualities and QC are not the same. Again, this is true across ALL major pc manufacturers. There's a reason HP is the top selling line in corporate America but corporate America doesn't buy Pavilions.

There is nothing inherently wrong with the consumer lines. The take-away here is to be aware that there is a difference. There's no such thing as a great $300 laptop. Period.
WilsonFlyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 11:28 AM   #24
Gianna'sPapa
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilsonFlyer View Post
This is regarding the comment with regards to the HP brand. For the record, I've served in the PC arena professionally since it's inception (and before).

All major manufacturers have professional lines and consumer lines. For example, with HP laptops, the consumer line is currently call Pavilion while the business line is called Pro Book. With these lines, you get what you pay for. Components are not components and build qualities and QC are not the same. Again, this is true across ALL major pc manufacturers. There's a reason HP is the top selling line in corporate America but corporate America doesn't buy Pavilions.

There is nothing inherently wrong with the consumer lines. The take-away here is to be aware that there is a difference. There's no such thing as a great $300 laptop. Period.
You bring up a good point/issue. Most of us are not in the "PC arena", but rely on reviews, opinions, brand experience and research to make our computer selection. The majority of photographers on this forum are not professionals (that is we do not derive 51% of our income from photography). Therefore the majority of us are not in the market for a professional level computer and its associated costs. Some/most of us are using consumer level PP software (Lightroom, PSE, etc.). So what should we be looking for in a computer. I have been researching a replacement laptop for my very old single core travel computer. My intention is not to use it as my primary PP computer (I use my desktop because of the better monitor), but for hauling it to my venues for uploading/downloading images with maybe minor PP. The computers I have been looking for range in price from $530-$700 and include 15.6" screen, Intel I5 third gen processor, 6-8mg RAM and 750mb-1 TB hard drive. The brands range from Asus, Acer, Dell, HP, Lenovo, Sony, Toshiba, etc. The goal is not to use it as long term image storage (I use external hard drives for storage). Without having inside information, again, what should we be looking for? What are the brands that are more prone to issues, etc?
Gianna'sPapa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 11:47 AM   #25
WDWAtLast
I found my Prince - now where are the mice and birds that do housework?

Great information for shopping for a new computer!!

WDWAtLast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 12:07 PM   #26
SplashMo
DIS Veteran

A thought: http://www.lenovo.com/products/us/la...t-series/t530/

Very durable.
Old 12-30-2012, 12:09 PM   #27
SplashMo
DIS Veteran

Here is a link to help you find good deals. One of them has an an IPS display:

http://www.gotapex.com/list/category/5-Computers
Old 12-30-2012, 04:51 PM   #28
wbeem
DIS Veteran

Shopping for a computer is like shopping for a camera - or anything else that's important to you. Take some time to understand what features are important to you, what resources you need and how much you're willing to pay. Then be prepared to compromise on something.

If you're just shopping for a deal, then you'll get a deal - but you'll likely end up regretting it later when the thing doesn't work quite right. There's a difference between a deal and value.

Last edited by wbeem; 12-30-2012 at 05:04 PM.
wbeem is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: