Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 01-07-2014, 03:31 PM   #3211
Mrs Doubtfire
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdwrule View Post
I was curious how long of a bus drive it is from DTD to this resort? I checked post #4 but didn't see a time for DTD. Thanks!
We were there December 2012 staying in Casitas 5. It took us over 45 mins on the bus to DTD, don't know if we were unlucky as my DH wouldn't go on the bus again so we drove next time
Old 01-07-2014, 05:27 PM   #3212
RachelTori
AKL Jambo Wildbunch

Sees little green people
Wants to dine with Kansas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs Doubtfire View Post
We were there December 2012 staying in Casitas 5. It took us over 45 mins on the bus to DTD, don't know if we were unlucky as my DH wouldn't go on the bus again so we drove next time
I think your experience was pretty typical, unfortunately. The buses to DTD are awful to/from every resort.

The construction at DTD is likely to cause further problems.

I do trust most of the transportation app information - resort to park - but DTD is a whole different animal!

|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-07-2014, 06:17 PM   #3213
KaLyn
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by RachelTori View Post
I think your experience was pretty typical, unfortunately. The buses to DTD are awful to/from every resort. The construction at DTD is likely to cause further problems. I do trust most of the transportation app information - resort to park - but DTD is a whole different animal!
Now that you say this, I remember on our first trip the bus from DTD to ASMu did take quite a long time!

Me28 DH30 DD6.5 DD3.5
Past Trips:
April 27-28, 2009: All Star Music Resort - Country Western Area
This was our quick-take-a-Disney-vacation-to-get-a-feel-of-what-it's-like-before-we-have-kids-to-drag-along trip.
Planning in Progress:
May 4-10, 2014: Coronado Springs Resort
This is our the-kids-are-only-little-for-so-long-so-lets-make-this-as-magical-and-as-awesome-as-possible trip.
Old 01-07-2014, 06:18 PM   #3214
rustyfla
Earning My Ears

I'm so aggravated!

I'm so aggravated....that we gave in to our Disney addiction and booked
the Cabanas 9B today, for March!

We were just there in Dec. and loved Coronado Springs.

We went to disney in Sept for our 20th anniversary and got the disney bug again, now we just cant stop!

Thank goodness we live in Florida.
Sept. 2013 - Contemporary Atrium CL #4847
for 20th Anniversary.

Dec., 2013 - Coronado Springs room #3387 (king) (Casita's 3)

Mar., 2014 - Coronado Springs Cabanas 9B #9546
Aug., 2014 - Port Orleans FQ Bldg 1, rm 1118
Sep., 2014 - Polynesian Honeymoon Suite (21st anniversary)
Nov., 2014 - Polynesian
Feb., 2015 - Grand Floridian

Old 01-07-2014, 06:29 PM   #3215
rustyfla
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquagirl View Post
If you stay in a business class room, can you bring food from the lounge back to your room, or do you need to eat/drink it there?

Your paying for Club level, you can take whatever back to your room.

We stayed club level at the Contemporary, and the CM's manning the club level even came and gave me a tray when I tried to carry drinks and breakfast back to my room while wifey was getting dressed.
Sept. 2013 - Contemporary Atrium CL #4847
for 20th Anniversary.

Dec., 2013 - Coronado Springs room #3387 (king) (Casita's 3)

Mar., 2014 - Coronado Springs Cabanas 9B #9546
Aug., 2014 - Port Orleans FQ Bldg 1, rm 1118
Sep., 2014 - Polynesian Honeymoon Suite (21st anniversary)
Nov., 2014 - Polynesian
Feb., 2015 - Grand Floridian

Old 01-07-2014, 09:26 PM   #3216
wdwrule
Mouseketeer

Ugh. Thank you for all the replies about taking bus from DTD to resort. That's what I was afraid of (45 min. bus drive) which is one of the reasons we usually avoid DTD but really want to try Raglan Road restaurant. Oh well, we'll give it a try regardless.
Old 01-07-2014, 11:05 PM   #3217
soonerlpn
Mouseketeer

23 days left at midnight! I'm so excited to stay at CSR. Praying for beautiful weather!

Our Adopted Sooner!

1980 - Offsite
1990 - Offsite
2009 - All Star Sports
2011 - All Star Sports
2014 - CSR - Hubby's first visit!

Old 01-08-2014, 09:26 AM   #3218
ashleyrm
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustyfla View Post
I'm so aggravated....that we gave in to our Disney addiction and booked
the Cabanas 9B today, for March!

We were just there in Dec. and loved Coronado Springs.

We went to disney in Sept for our 20th anniversary and got the disney bug again, now we just cant stop!

Thank goodness we live in Florida.
Right there with you. Stayed at CSR for the first time in Dec 2012. Stayed there again in October last year, and am staying again in Feb. Cabanas 9B business level is the way to go!

Good thing I live in Delaware or I'd be there even more often...
March 1994 - Poly; 1995 - CBR; Nov 1997 - All Star Music; Dec 1998 - Beach Club; Aug 1999 - Dixie Landings; July 2002 - POR; Summer 2003 - ASMo; Nov 2004 - POR; April 2005 - OKW Jan 2009 - Port Orleans French Quarter; ; Feb 2009 - POR; Mar/Apr 2009 - BC; May 2009 - POFQ; Nov 2009 - Pop; Mar 2011 - All Star Movies; Apr 2012 - POR; Aug 2012 - ASMu; Dec 2012 - CSR; Feb 2013 - ASSports; May 2013- POFQ; Oct 2013 -CSR; Dec 2013 - ASSports; Feb '14 - AKL; Apr '14 - POP; May '14 - SSR treehouse; Jul 14 - CSR; Oct '14 POFQ/CSR
Old 01-08-2014, 02:42 PM   #3219
CaliSoccer
Complete Newbie to WDW

Complete Newbie

We are California Annual Passholders, but visiting WDW, CSR and the Fantasy for the first time on March 15 - 29 (cruise starts 3/22). I have two daughters (11 and 13). We land on Saturday, 3/15. We are planning to go to Universal Islands on our first Sunday, 3/16 (we have a Harry Potter nut), Hollywood Studios on Monday, Water park on Tuesday, MK on Wednesday, Epcot & AK on Thursday, and Water park on Friday. I have the tickets already.

Three questions:

We won't be spending much time at CSR, and we don't worry abount the available amenities except the water slide. Any recommendations on what area we should request at CSR?

What is the best way to get to Universal on Sunday from CSR?

Is there a good reason to rent a car for part of the week?

Any and all suggestions are gratefully welcomed.

Last edited by CaliSoccer; 01-08-2014 at 03:04 PM.
Old 01-08-2014, 02:52 PM   #3220
Ilivetogo
I really DO want to live there!
I circulate my paper clips at work so they all get used or I feel like they'd be sad if they didn't get a "turn".

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliSoccer View Post
We are California Annual Passholders, but visiting WDW, CSR and the Fantasy for the first time on March 15 - 29 (cruise starts 3/22). I have two daughters (11 and 13). We land on Saturday, 3/15. We are planning to go to Universal Islands on our first Sunday, 3/16 (we have a Harry Potter nut), MGM on Monday, Water park on Tuesday, MK on Wednesday, Epcot & AK on Thursday, and Water park on Friday. I have the tickets already.

Three questions:

We won't be spending much time at CSR, and we don't worry abount the available amenities except the water slide. Any recommendations on what area we should request at CSR?

Wow! Welcome to WDW! I'm so very excited for you all. (Especially with the Fantasy cruise, too!!)

My main suggestion would be that if you've never been to WDW in Florida, that you need to realize just how big EPCOT is and how much there is to do there. Only 1 day there, and actually even splitting it with another park, would not be doing yourself any favors. You could potentially spend 2-3 normal park days at EPCOT and barely see/do everything. Food for thought.

Actually, I bet you'll be a little shocked at just HOW big the entire WDW resort area is.

MGM is now Hollywood Studios.

If you're going to do a lot at the pool at CSR, my suggestion would be to ask for Cabanas or Ranchos. They're closer to The Dig Site. The water slide at the pool is really awesome! You'll love it. (and the pool!)

Enjoy your trip.

Last edited by Ilivetogo; 01-08-2014 at 02:57 PM.
Old 01-08-2014, 03:21 PM   #3221
StitchandPooh'sMom
Now if only I could think of something witty to say . . .

Quote:
We are California Annual Passholders, but visiting WDW, CSR and the Fantasy for the first time on March 15 - 29 (cruise starts 3/22). I have two daughters (11 and 13). We land on Saturday, 3/15. We are planning to go to Universal Islands on our first Sunday, 3/16 (we have a Harry Potter nut), MGM on Monday, Water park on Tuesday, MK on Wednesday, Epcot & AK on Thursday, and Water park on Friday. I have the tickets already.

Three questions:

Wow! That is quite a trip!

You said you have tickets already - do you have three day tickets with water parks added? If so, you might consider adding days to your tickets once you arrive and see how big WDW is. You can upgrade to a four day ticket for about $20 per ticket, and each day after that is an additional $10 (approximately). You can upgrade after you get there. I am guessing you also have park hoppers since you are planning to go to Epcot and AK the same day?

Many people schedule two full days for Magic Kingdom and two days for Epcot. If you are planning to skip the rides that are the same/similar at DLR and WDW, you could do each park in one day. But I think trying to do Animal Kingdom and Epcot in one day would result in you missing a lot - I don't think DLR has anything similar to AK or the World Showcase.

We have been to Blizzard Beach, but not Typhoon Lagoon. We did not spend all day there. I would suggest either going to AK during the morning one day and one of the water parks in the afternoon, and/or going to a water park in the morning and going to World Showcase in the afternoon. You can skip Soarin' at Epcot since you have probably been at DLR, and even Test Track is similar to but probably not as good as Radiator Springs Racers. (I have not been to DLR but had hoped to go this summer, so I did a little research about the park differences).

My daughters are 11 and 14, and they love Hollywood Studios the best. They both LOVE Islands of Adventure at Universal. Plan for that to be a full day if you have a Harry Potter nut - I could spend days looking at all the details from the books and movies. If someone does not want to ride HP and the Forbidden Journey, at least walk through the queue (with the riders, or in the castle tour line if you have no riders). Forbidden Journey also has a single rider line. The Dragon Challenge queue is fun to walk through to see the Ford Anglia and the Goblet of Fire props.

As far as getting to Universal, check out this link:

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2494908

Renting a car would probably be your cheapest option if you have four in your family.

Check out this free site for the best days to visit each park to make the most of your time (you may be set based on dining reservations, but just in case):

http://www.easywdw.com/category/calendar/03-march-2014/

The CSR pool and slide is awesome, so I would definitely plan some down time there. Cabanas and ranchos would be close, particularly cabanas 8A and ranchos 7B. You can make a request for "close to Dig Site" instead of a particular building if you want.

I would strongly encourage five park days at WDW with water parks done in the afternoon after a park or in the morning before World Showcase (since World Showcase doesn't open until 11). But if you plan to ride the rides in Future World, I would encourage the water parks in the afternoons and the parks when they open.

Enjoy your trip!
Old 01-08-2014, 03:24 PM   #3222
mmouse37
Mickey for Me!
Likes surprises

Quote:
Originally Posted by MouseOfGold View Post
I just stayed at CSR a couple weeks ago when the Pop Century Cheer competition was going on and then the Kids National Scholastic Chess convention began. I would see the kids and their families around but I would not say it was super crowded to the point it bothered me. The Pepper's Market would get busy around dinner time but since it sounds like a business convention will be there when your there I doubt it should interfere with your stay. Enjoy your trip!
Quote:
Originally Posted by StitchandPooh'sMom View Post
It depends on the convention. Some conventions are spread throughout the resort due to size, while other attendees are concentrated in the casitas area for easy access to the convention center.

A convention would specifically have to block business class rooms to affect the lounge. It is probably more likely for them to block standard rooms and maybe a suite or two. Also, some conventions supply a light breakfast and/or afternoon snacks for its attendees, so conventioneers would be less likely to book business class.
Thank you both for your insight. I booked 3 rooms in business class and am getting excited!!! We are going to a wedding in St. Augustine and then heading over to WDW for 3 days.

The only thing I did not enjoy was Pepper Market for Breakfast (did not try it any other time). I did not like having to wait on line to get in (we were there early too) and did not like waiting for the waitress to come take our drink order and then wait for the check at the end. Our waitress never returned with the check for 30 minutes after we finished eating. We finally just got up and paid at the exit (which they didn't really want us to do). Did not like the whole food court set up. I loved the resort itself but prefer the other moderates' food courts.

Thanks again!!!

MJ
Disney Dream - 5 times - Official Maiden Voyage January 26, 2011
Disney Fantasy - 2 times

Old 01-08-2014, 03:48 PM   #3223
CaliSoccer
Complete Newbie to WDW

Complete Newbie

Originally Posted by StitchandPooh'sMom
Wow! That is quite a trip!

You said you have tickets already - do you have three day tickets with water parks added? If so, you might consider adding days to your tickets once you arrive and see how big WDW is. You can upgrade to a four day ticket for about $20 per ticket, and each day after that is an additional $10 (approximately). You can upgrade after you get there. I am guessing you also have park hoppers since you are planning to go to Epcot and AK the same day?

Many people schedule two full days for Magic Kingdom and two days for Epcot. If you are planning to skip the rides that are the same/similar at DLR and WDW, you could do each park in one day. But I think trying to do Animal Kingdom and Epcot in one day would result in you missing a lot - I don't think DLR has anything similar to AK or the World Showcase.

We have been to Blizzard Beach, but not Typhoon Lagoon. We did not spend all day there. I would suggest either going to AK during the morning one day and one of the water parks in the afternoon, and/or going to a water park in the morning and going to World Showcase in the afternoon. You can skip Soarin' at Epcot since you have probably been at DLR, and even Test Track is similar to but probably not as good as Radiator Springs Racers. (I have not been to DLR but had hoped to go this summer, so I did a little research about the park differences).

My daughters are 11 and 14, and they love Hollywood Studios the best. They both LOVE Islands of Adventure at Universal. Plan for that to be a full day if you have a Harry Potter nut - I could spend days looking at all the details from the books and movies. If someone does not want to ride HP and the Forbidden Journey, at least walk through the queue (with the riders, or in the castle tour line if you have no riders). Forbidden Journey also has a single rider line. The Dragon Challenge queue is fun to walk through to see the Ford Anglia and the Goblet of Fire props.

As far as getting to Universal, check out this link:

Renting a car would probably be your cheapest option if you have four in your family.

Check out this free site for the best days to visit each park to make the most of your time (you may be set based on dining reservations, but just in case):

The CSR pool and slide is awesome, so I would definitely plan some down time there. Cabanas and ranchos would be close, particularly cabanas 8A and ranchos 7B. You can make a request for "close to Dig Site" instead of a particular building if you want.

I would strongly encourage five park days at WDW with water parks done in the afternoon after a park or in the morning before World Showcase (since World Showcase doesn't open until 11). But if you plan to ride the rides in Future World, I would encourage the water parks in the afternoons and the parks when they open.

Enjoy your trip!

** Forgot to include original quote **

Thank you so much! My daughters go to CA and DL almost monthly, so they are concerned only with the big ticket rides.

We currently have 4 day park hoppers with the 4 fun visits and one day tickets to Universal. I'll take your advice and plan on hitting AK on Tuesday morning (with a water park option for the afternoon if we run out of activities) and then Epcot on Thursday morning. We'll still have two fun visits to play with.

I had found a different site that gave advice on crowds, but I will definitely check your site for figuring out where to go each day. My order may get rearranged. Could we add a fifth park hopper day for Friday if we find the need on Thursday?

(BTW - My girls LOVE Radiator Springs. We usually use the single rider line, but sometimes splurge and wait in the long line for a family ride.)

Last -- what day would you go to Universal? The website you listed does not discuss universal?

We have already spent a fortune, so cost is not a huge consideration by now. Would you rent a car for the week or just for the Universal day? We plan on going to Nouba on Thursday night.

Last edited by CaliSoccer; 01-08-2014 at 04:22 PM. Reason: Want to include original quote
Old 01-08-2014, 04:29 PM   #3224
StitchandPooh'sMom

Quote:
Thank you so much! My daughters go to CA and DL almost monthly, so they are concerned only with the big ticket rides.

We currently have 4 day park hoppers with the 4 fun visits and one day tickets to Universal. I'll take your advice and plan on hitting AK on Tuesday morning (with a water park option for the afternoon if we run out of activities) and then Epcot on Thursday morning. We'll still have two fun visits to play with.

I had found a different site that gave advice on crowds, but I will definitely check your site for figuring out where to go each day. My order may get rearranged. Could we add a fifth park hopper day for Friday if we find the need on Thursday?

(BTW - My girls LOVE Radiator Springs. We usually use the single rider line, but sometimes splurge and wait in the long line for a family ride.)

Last -- what day would you go to Universal? The website you listed does not discuss universal?

We have already spent a fortune, so cost is not a huge consideration by now. Would you rent a car for the week or just for the Universal day? We plan on going to Nouba on Thursday night.
You can add a fifth day on Thursday, but I think it has to be before you leave the park (you can't add it on Friday). You used to be able to add days anytime within the first 14 days, but Disney had trouble with people adding days as they were leaving and then selling the tickets (it's much cheaper to go from five days to ten days than to buy the first five days). I think you will have to add before you leave the park Thursday, but you should know by then if you want another day.

Historically, Islands of Adventure has been quietest on Sunday mornings, so your day should be fine. I would plan to get there before park opening. Onsite Universal guests (which I am thinking you are not since you didn't mention it) get one hour early access to the Wizarding World of Harry Potter, so there will be people there when you arrive, but you can't avoid that. If you want to do Ollivander's, the general consensus is to do that first - they bring about 25 people in for each show, so the line moves slowly and is in direct sun later in the day. We have always skipped Ollivander's and started with Forbidden Journey. If the morning is crowded, you can do the rest of IOA and come back to WWOHP in the evening - Hogsmeade looks great at night.

We like the frozen butterbeer better than the regular or the pumpkin juice. You can get it at Hog's Head if the line at the cart is too long.

Getting to and from Downtown Disney is a pain using Disney Transportation, but there are buses that go from CSR to DTD for La Nouba, shopping, etc. Just allow plenty of time - the buses to DTD are not as frequent as the park buses. If you stumble on a great deal for a rental, it might be worth the convenience to have a car for the week you are at WDW and Universal. How are you getting to the port? If you are planning to use Disney transfers, you can drop the car off at the Car Care Center before you get picked up at CSR, or you could return it to the airport and get transfers from the airport (depending where you rent the car from). To further complicate things, you could compare prices for driving to the port and paying for parking ($15 per night the last time I went), but that would mean a two-week rental and you wouldn't even drive it for a week (and would have to pay for parking it). I wouldn't think a two-week rental would be cost effective, but if you are paying for Disney transfers to the port, it might be. If you have a private car booked for transfers, it might be cheaper to rent for a week and drop off the car before going on the cruise. You could also drive to the port, drop the car off (I think Alamo and maybe National have offices nearby). take a shuttle to the ship, and only pay for transfers on the way home.

Cabs are also an option around WDW if you need to get somewhere fast, early or late. If you have a breakfast ADR at another resort, sometimes it is best to have a rental car or take a cab. I would just compare the costs of any transfers (to/from Universal and to/from port) along with parking fees to see if it is worth it.

I rambled a lot there, but I would look at the price for a weekly rental compared to a day and see if the convenience factor is worth it. I probably wouldn't rent for two weeks unless you stumble on a super deal and you can avoid paying a lot for transfers - you would have to pay $105 just to park it for the week on the Fantasy plus the cost of the second week. It seems like Disney transfers to/from the port were about $70 per person, so it could be cheaper to park a rental car if you were planning to transfer four people with Disney.

Last edited by StitchandPooh'sMom; 01-08-2014 at 04:34 PM. Reason: try to clarify :-)
Old 01-08-2014, 04:43 PM   #3225
StitchandPooh'sMom

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmouse37 View Post
Thank you both for your insight. I booked 3 rooms in business class and am getting excited!!! We are going to a wedding in St. Augustine and then heading over to WDW for 3 days.

The only thing I did not enjoy was Pepper Market for Breakfast (did not try it any other time). I did not like having to wait on line to get in (we were there early too) and did not like waiting for the waitress to come take our drink order and then wait for the check at the end. Our waitress never returned with the check for 30 minutes after we finished eating. We finally just got up and paid at the exit (which they didn't really want us to do). Did not like the whole food court set up. I loved the resort itself but prefer the other moderates' food courts.

Thanks again!!!

MJ
Enjoy your trip!

They are no longer charging a service charge at Pepper Market. At least once person has posted that there are no servers, but I haven't been there to confirm. I think you still get the card to stamp and pay at the end.
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: