Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 09-15-2013, 01:18 PM   #2371
jasonpope2003
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 22

OK now I'm confused this is the ONLY place that is saying the transportation is even feasible at all for anything other than to and from your resort to the park you are going to that day, Which they say is fine for most days especially on the off season which we are going on.

Every single guide book flat says unless you are willing to waste at least 3 hours to not even try to go to another resort other than yours, since the only way that works is to travel to a hub which are the parks or downtown and waiting on transfers etc.

We are on a schedule and are planning on seeing every single park as well as US/IoA in 5 full days our arrival and departure days are going to be impractical to do anything on due to flights so they don't count So we are following plans from a well known guidebook that was posted by a member here.
Renting a car is not a big deal and the fact that my fiance is legally blind and has a handicapped placard would make parking and getting around by car much easier since we get front row parking. ( if anyone has any insight on that aspect ie: how is the handicapped parking access to the parks please let me know)

Now if there is something I am missing please let me know I've bought 3 books now and read quite a bit here as well.
We are on the free regular dining plan which we thought was going to be a boon but after reading it seems that it might be a hindrance instead with people having all the best reservations 6 months out.

We are going to have an amazing time but I have to ensure that the time and resources are perfect. Money is always an issue as is time. As it is her family refused to let us drive which would have gave me more flexibility on arrival and departure times. ( 13 hours 1 way from Houston)

They did buy us air tickets but the times are not ideal mid day arrival and departures on both effectively killing both the arrival day and departure days as fun days.
Which is putting more pressure on me to plan a trip we can see the entire Disney Property and Universal in 5 full days (mon-fri arriving late afternoon on Sunday and departing early afternoon on Sat.) So yes I am a bit stressed out and second guessing everything. We did not plan on doing this.. after Labor day weekend I realized I needed to really get away and the stress of work was becoming a serious issue. So it was a last minute thing with 3 weeks of advance notice.
This is our first vacation as a couple and also my first real vacation in 18 years since I left the Navy so we want it to be special.
jasonpope2003 is offline  
Old 09-15-2013, 01:30 PM   #2372
gmi3804
DIS Veteran
 
gmi3804's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 792

Your schedule will not allow you much/any time to explore other resorts if you're planning on six theme parks in five days. Skip the other resorts this time. Sounds like you're trying to cram in a lot, so you're going to need a lot of stamina just for the parks.
__________________


Stupid Judy.
gmi3804 is offline  
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 09-15-2013, 02:29 PM   #2373
RachelTori
AKL Jambo Wildbunch

Sees little green people
Wants to dine with Kansas
 
RachelTori's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Georgia & SSR
Posts: 13,398

Jason - Have you made all your ADRs (dining reservations for the table service restaurants)? Although many of the most desirable reservations go at 6 months, you should still be able to get into some wonderful restaurants.

Since you are trying to do all the Disney parks and Universal in 5 days (quite an ambitious undertaking, even for those of us who know the parks well), I would stick with restaurants within the parks (or on the monorail outside MK).

I'm not sure which guide books you're reading, but I am surprised that they are saying "3 hours". I never use the Downtown Disney buses - unless I am actually going to DTD - they are historically the worst when you need to connect between resorts.

I often use taxis when I need to get somewhere quickly. They are easy to get (stop at Bell Services at the resort and they will have one there for you quickly) - cost is generally $10-$15, depending where you're going on-property.

Since you're also planning Universal, a rental car would probably be your best bet. The only Park where you won't be able to park the car close is Magic Kingdom. You park at the TTC and take the ferry or the monorail to the Park.
__________________
LOR-uh



RachelTori is offline  
Old 09-15-2013, 05:17 PM   #2374
jasonpope2003
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmi3804 View Post
Your schedule will not allow you much/any time to explore other resorts if you're planning on six theme parks in five days. Skip the other resorts this time. Sounds like you're trying to cram in a lot, so you're going to need a lot of stamina just for the parks.
Yeh my worries exactly George.

I think the only one we will really try for is Ohana one since if planned for the same day as the MK the monorail is super easy to do for a extended dinner break.

Planning all this is pretty stressful and so much to take in.

Rachel, we have been trying to lay everything out still and dont want to make reservations for somewhere we wont be anywhere near. this is what is so challenging and frustrating. Ive been told in person and watching the "lines" app that that guide book has that the wait times are very very good right now and hope they hold out past our trips.

As 30ish and 40ish adults I don't think we will be hitting 100% of everything and concentrating on the "must sees" but without kids and us both being in pretty good shape we think we can do it especially with the below 10 minute wait times on nearly everything.

Thanks both for your input we are very excited for sure and are looking forward to this big time. just so much information and so little time to figure it all out.
jasonpope2003 is offline  
Old 09-15-2013, 05:20 PM   #2375
gmi3804
DIS Veteran
 
gmi3804's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 792

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonpope2003 View Post
Yeh my worries exactly George.

I think the only one we will really try for is Ohana one since if planned for the same day as the MK the monorail is super easy to do for a extended dinner break.

Planning all this is pretty stressful and so much to take in.

Rachel, we have been trying to lay everything out still and dont want to make reservations for somewhere we wont be anywhere near. this is what is so challenging and frustrating. Ive been told in person and watching the "lines" app that that guide book has that the wait times are very very good right now and hope they hold out past our trips.

As 30ish and 40ish adults I don't think we will be hitting 100% of everything and concentrating on the "must sees" but without kids and us both being in pretty good shape we think we can do it especially with the below 10 minute wait times on nearly everything.

Thanks both for your input we are very excited for sure and are looking forward to this big time. just so much information and so little time to figure it all out.
Plan on taking extended afternoon breaks of at least three or four hours. Even if you think you don't need them, you will. They will help you re-energize for evening activities. Remember, slow and steady wins the race.
__________________


Stupid Judy.
gmi3804 is offline  
Old 09-15-2013, 05:26 PM   #2376
jasonpope2003
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmi3804 View Post
Plan on taking extended afternoon breaks of at least three or four hours. Even if you think you don't need them, you will. They will help you re-energize for evening activities. Remember, slow and steady wins the race.
Thanks George will try to fit those in. gonna be a long but fun week for sure!
jasonpope2003 is offline  
Old 09-15-2013, 06:37 PM   #2377
Disney*Dreamer
DIS Veteran
 
Disney*Dreamer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Neverland
Posts: 1,143

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonpope2003 View Post

Thanks George will try to fit those in. gonna be a long but fun week for sure!
We never take breaks lol
__________________


October 18-25 at CSR
Disney*Dreamer is offline  
Old 09-15-2013, 07:00 PM   #2378
vikster1
DIS Veteran
 
vikster1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: jersey shore
Posts: 534

On the day you go to MK. Take the monorail around and stop at Poly/GF/CR. That will knock off a few resorts you may want to see. We always stop and go to Poly for a cocktail in the lounge.
vikster1 is offline  
Old 09-15-2013, 08:14 PM   #2379
Donna in NJ
Mouseketeer
 
Donna in NJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 165

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonpope2003 View Post
OK now I'm confused this is the ONLY place that is saying the transportation is even feasible at all for anything other than to and from your resort to the park you are going to that day, Which they say is fine for most days especially on the off season which we are going on.

Every single guide book flat says unless you are willing to waste at least 3 hours to not even try to go to another resort other than yours, since the only way that works is to travel to a hub which are the parks or downtown and waiting on transfers etc.

We are on a schedule and are planning on seeing every single park as well as US/IoA in 5 full days our arrival and departure days are going to be impractical to do anything on due to flights so they don't count So we are following plans from a well known guidebook that was posted by a member here.
Renting a car is not a big deal and the fact that my fiance is legally blind and has a handicapped placard would make parking and getting around by car much easier since we get front row parking. ( if anyone has any insight on that aspect ie: how is the handicapped parking access to the parks please let me know)

Now if there is something I am missing please let me know I've bought 3 books now and read quite a bit here as well.
We are on the free regular dining plan which we thought was going to be a boon but after reading it seems that it might be a hindrance instead with people having all the best reservations 6 months out.

We are going to have an amazing time but I have to ensure that the time and resources are perfect. Money is always an issue as is time. As it is her family refused to let us drive which would have gave me more flexibility on arrival and departure times. ( 13 hours 1 way from Houston)

They did buy us air tickets but the times are not ideal mid day arrival and departures on both effectively killing both the arrival day and departure days as fun days.
Which is putting more pressure on me to plan a trip we can see the entire Disney Property and Universal in 5 full days (mon-fri arriving late afternoon on Sunday and departing early afternoon on Sat.) So yes I am a bit stressed out and second guessing everything. We did not plan on doing this.. after Labor day weekend I realized I needed to really get away and the stress of work was becoming a serious issue. So it was a last minute thing with 3 weeks of advance notice.
This is our first vacation as a couple and also my first real vacation in 18 years since I left the Navy so we want it to be special.
We were at Coronado Springs the same week you are going last year and will be back again this year. The transportation was excellent last year. We never felt like we wasted the day on the bus. We go early to a park leave at lunch time for a sit down restaurant and then a swim at the pool. Then we go back out for dinner at one of the Resort Hotels and some nights back to a park. The buses were always very quick. The only slow bus we had was our first day we went to downtown Disney for dinner. If you are not going to downtown Disney I would avoid this bus.
Because of my husbands job we pick our vacation about 30 days before we leave. We have never missed getting in a restaurant we wanted. In the next 2 weeks people will start to weed out ADR they don't want and more will open up. If you look at the Dis page for people dropping ADR you can pick up some.My last piece of advice is you are not going to be able to see everything in the time you have and be able to sleep and eat. The first time we went to Disney years ago we over planned and had a list a mile long and after the first day I was almost in tears I was so over whelmed. We sat down and crossed off about 60% off the list and had a wonderful time. If you make a list off the top 5 thing that are must see for you in each park you can always add more if you have time.
Have a great trip Coronado Spring is wonderful. We are in our 40's without kids and love the resort.
Donna in NJ is offline  
Old 09-15-2013, 09:46 PM   #2380
jasonpope2003
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna in NJ View Post
We were at Coronado Springs the same week you are going last year and will be back again this year. The transportation was excellent last year. We never felt like we wasted the day on the bus. We go early to a park leave at lunch time for a sit down restaurant and then a swim at the pool. Then we go back out for dinner at one of the Resort Hotels and some nights back to a park. The buses were always very quick. The only slow bus we had was our first day we went to downtown Disney for dinner. If you are not going to downtown Disney I would avoid this bus.
Because of my husbands job we pick our vacation about 30 days before we leave. We have never missed getting in a restaurant we wanted. In the next 2 weeks people will start to weed out ADR they don't want and more will open up. If you look at the Dis page for people dropping ADR you can pick up some.My last piece of advice is you are not going to be able to see everything in the time you have and be able to sleep and eat. The first time we went to Disney years ago we over planned and had a list a mile long and after the first day I was almost in tears I was so over whelmed. We sat down and crossed off about 60% off the list and had a wonderful time. If you make a list off the top 5 thing that are must see for you in each park you can always add more if you have time.
Have a great trip Coronado Spring is wonderful. We are in our 40's without kids and love the resort.
Some good news in here thank you Donna.
I think we can do the resorts ok I was just looking at the real time queues for tonight going on and almost everything is at 10 mins or less which is awesome even on an extended hours night.

Some of the parks are smaller than others and on off season like this should be able to be done in half a day if we get there are opening.

MK we are going to spend an entire day+ extended hours with a long break for dinner somewhere.

Was told by several people that Animal Kingdom is pretty small and can be seen in a half day easily same with HS. ( with off season crowds and early riser)
We plan on doing those then going to one of the water parks to relax since we bought park hopper+ waterparks.
Thank you very much for the on site and demographic advice.

We don't know if or when we will ever be able to come back so we are going to sure try to see as much as we can. if we cant then oh well we tried.
jasonpope2003 is offline  
Old 09-16-2013, 08:31 AM   #2381
BlueGiraffe
DIS Veteran
 
BlueGiraffe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: London
Posts: 539

There may not be as many rides at AK as there is at MK but I read that AK is actually the biggest of all 4 parks because of how much land it takes up.

Also, it's my favourite park!!
__________________
BlueGiraffe is offline  
Old 09-16-2013, 08:33 AM   #2382
Disney*Dreamer
DIS Veteran
 
Disney*Dreamer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Neverland
Posts: 1,143

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueGiraffe View Post
There may not be as many rides at AK as there is at MK but I read that AK is actually the biggest of all 4 parks because of how much land it takes up.

Also, it's my favourite park!!
Yes and if you want to see the animals it will take more than a half day. We do two days there. We also take a long day at Hollywood studios.
__________________


October 18-25 at CSR
Disney*Dreamer is offline  
Old 09-16-2013, 08:44 AM   #2383
RinkyTinkyTinky
DIS Veteran
 
RinkyTinkyTinky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 3,066

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonpope2003 View Post
Was told by several people that Animal Kingdom is pretty small and can be seen in a half day easily same with HS. ( with off season crowds and early riser)
We plan on doing those then going to one of the water parks to relax since we bought park hopper+ waterparks.
Thank you very much for the on site and demographic advice.
Well I'll be the oddball here and say that I have never understood how people can do AK and HS in one day, let alone add in a waterpark. To me, HS is not a half day park for one reason... show schedules. I guess if you don't care about seeing any of the live shows, then you could hit the highlights quickly and head out, but we love the shows and wouldn't want to miss them. And with the shows being on a set time schedule, you can't do it all but so fast. Also, one of the best things to us about AK are the animal trails. I guess you could go there and just do the safari and EE and be gone in an hour, but you will be missing so much of what makes AK special (to us anyway). The Lion King show there is also fantastic! If I was really in a time pinch, I would recommend skipping DinoLand altogether.

Oh, and I especially think that doing HS and AK in one day would be very difficult for first timers. Our first trip was so different from all the rest because we felt very compelled to try all the rides since we weren't sure if we would be missing something really awesome if we passed them by. I could probably do AK and HS now in one day if I REALLY pushed myself, but we are about to go on our 5th trip so I know what I want to do and what I want to skip. But there is no way we could've done that on our first trip.

I'm sure you've already looked at the park hours, but that's something else to consider. I'm not sure when you are going (sorry I missed that part), but AK and the water parks are early closers. When we are going next month, AK closes every day at 5:00 and the water parks are only open from 10-5.

I'm not trying to be a Debbie Downer, but I can't imagine being able to do HS, AK, and a water park in one day. I wish you the best of luck with your trip though and hope it is as magical as you are hoping for!
RinkyTinkyTinky is offline  
Old 09-16-2013, 08:46 AM   #2384
Disney*Dreamer
DIS Veteran
 
Disney*Dreamer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Neverland
Posts: 1,143

Quote:
Originally Posted by RinkyTinkyTinky View Post

Well I'll be the oddball here and say that I have never understood how people can do AK and HS in one day, let alone add in a waterpark. To me, HS is not a half day park for one reason... show schedules. I guess if you don't care about seeing any of the live shows, then you could hit the highlights quickly and head out, but we love the shows and wouldn't want to miss them. And with the shows being on a set time schedule, you can't do it all but so fast. Also, one of the best things to us about AK are the animal trails. I guess you could go there and just do the safari and EE and be gone in an hour, but you will be missing so much of what makes AK special (to us anyway). The Lion King show there is also fantastic! If I was really in a time pinch, I would recommend skipping DinoLand altogether.

Oh, and I especially think that doing HS and AK in one day would be very difficult for first timers. Our first trip was so different from all the rest because we felt very compelled to try all the rides since we weren't sure if we would be missing something really awesome if we passed them by. I could probably do AK and HS now in one day if I REALLY pushed myself, but we are about to go on our 5th trip so I know what I want to do and what I want to skip. But there is no way we could've done that on our first trip.

I'm sure you've already looked at the park hours, but that's something else to consider. I'm not sure when you are going (sorry I missed that part), but AK and the water parks are early closers. When we are going next month, AK closes every day at 5:00 and the water parks are only open from 10-5.

I'm not trying to be a Debbie Downer, but I can't imagine being able to do HS, AK, and a water park in one day. I wish you the best of luck with your trip though and hope it is as magical as you are hoping for!
I agree with all if this.
__________________


October 18-25 at CSR
Disney*Dreamer is offline  
Old 09-16-2013, 09:08 AM   #2385
RachelTori
AKL Jambo Wildbunch

Sees little green people
Wants to dine with Kansas
 
RachelTori's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Georgia & SSR
Posts: 13,398

Quote:
Originally Posted by RinkyTinkyTinky View Post
Well I'll be the oddball here and say that I have never understood how people can do AK and HS in one day, let alone add in a waterpark. To me, HS is not a half day park for one reason... show schedules. I guess if you don't care about seeing any of the live shows, then you could hit the highlights quickly and head out, but we love the shows and wouldn't want to miss them. And with the shows being on a set time schedule, you can't do it all but so fast. Also, one of the best things to us about AK are the animal trails. I guess you could go there and just do the safari and EE and be gone in an hour, but you will be missing so much of what makes AK special (to us anyway). The Lion King show there is also fantastic! If I was really in a time pinch, I would recommend skipping DinoLand altogether.

Oh, and I especially think that doing HS and AK in one day would be very difficult for first timers. Our first trip was so different from all the rest because we felt very compelled to try all the rides since we weren't sure if we would be missing something really awesome if we passed them by. I could probably do AK and HS now in one day if I REALLY pushed myself, but we are about to go on our 5th trip so I know what I want to do and what I want to skip. But there is no way we could've done that on our first trip.

I'm sure you've already looked at the park hours, but that's something else to consider. I'm not sure when you are going (sorry I missed that part), but AK and the water parks are early closers. When we are going next month, AK closes every day at 5:00 and the water parks are only open from 10-5.

I'm not trying to be a Debbie Downer, but I can't imagine being able to do HS, AK, and a water park in one day. I wish you the best of luck with your trip though and hope it is as magical as you are hoping for!
ITA with you also!

But, I think we are taking this thread way off-topic now. It's for Q&A about CSR. I am one of the offenders; I apologize to OP.

Jason, if you want to continue the discussion about your upcoming WDW trip, you should start a thread. There is a lot of great information and advice out there for you!
__________________
LOR-uh



RachelTori is offline  
Closed Thread



Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:18 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.

You Rated this Thread: