Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-19-2012, 11:32 AM   #16
clutter
Princess's Mom
The TF is sorry that you were overlooked, we've been really busy lately! :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAHDad View Post
Can anyone tell me why, with hundreds of years of songs from which to draw, we still wind up with basically 20-30 songs that get played incessantly?
Seriously. I found a station in Detroit on iHeart that seems to have more variety. Better than our local station!

I love christmas music. We don't 'overdo' christmas IRL (not a big family, not big shoppers, not big stress people) so I love me my christmas music time!
clutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 12:27 PM   #17
Lynne M

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by goofyintoronto View Post
I looove christmas, I love everything about christmas. But the music is just too much. They play it too early, and they repeat the same song over and over. IT DRIVES ME NUTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I shop quite a bit and hear the same songs frequently in each store. I think thats what turned me off from music, hearing it so often while shopping. I will listen to xmas music on xmas day, BUT THATS IT. I do listen to the radio in my car on my way to work, but as soon as an xmas song comes on, I change the station.
Yep, that's me, too. I'll listen to it on Christmas Day, maybe Christmas Eve. But WHY must I hear those same 20 songs everywhere I go, every time I leave the house, in the car, in the gas station, in the supermarket, in the dentist's office, and in the malls, which are enough of a nightmare this time of year without having to listen to Justin Bieber mangle a Christmas carol in every store.
Lynne M is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-19-2012, 03:01 PM   #18
Hrhpd
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by eliza61 View Post
I'm at work and the local station has switched over to all christmas carols. It's not even 11:00 oclock and I've heard Paul Mccartney's "wonderful christmas time" twice already.

I am doomed!!

Our station started about a week and a half ago. I started listening over the weekend.

I am off work this week and love listening to the carols while I cook and clean getting ready for the holidays. It just gets me in the spirit knowing Thanksgiving is coming up and then we move into Christmas. It is my favorite time of year.

However, I wish they would stop playing the "shoes for Mama who is meeting Jesus tonight" song. I am trying to shampoo carpets and can't get much done while I am blubbering.

Last edited by Hrhpd; 11-19-2012 at 04:30 PM. Reason: dang Ipad seems to always miss letters
Hrhpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 04:27 PM   #19
plutotek
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hrhpd View Post
However, I wish they would stop playing the "shoes for Mama who is meeting Jesus tonight" song. I am trying to shampoo carpets and can't get much done while I am blubbering.
DW, is that you???

DS and I play this whenever we can at home, just so we can laugh at DW trying not to blubber. Yes, we are sadistic, I know.
Old 11-19-2012, 04:32 PM   #20
Hrhpd
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by plutotek View Post
DW, is that you???

DS and I play this whenever we can at home, just so we can laugh at DW trying not to blubber. Yes, we are sadistic, I know.

Really want to get her blubbering, watch the video made of the song:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0a_Y1wAJ2MU

Last edited by Hrhpd; 11-19-2012 at 04:43 PM. Reason: put it under image instead of url
Old 11-19-2012, 04:46 PM   #21
eliza61

We're Americans, we're survivors

Quote:
DW, is that you???

LOL but see that's my problem after the 20th time, I'm ready to send the woman some shoes myself just to shut the kid up.
Old 11-19-2012, 04:50 PM   #22
maslex
DIS Veteran

yeah, we have a local station that does 24hrs of Christmas music starting the day after Thanksgiving. Well, this year they've decided it would be better to start a week early!!! AARRGHGHG!!!!
maslex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 05:19 PM   #23
Hrhpd
DIS Veteran

Quote:
LOL but see that's my problem after the 20th time, I'm ready to send the woman some shoes myself just to shut the kid up.
Well, there is that
Old 11-19-2012, 05:28 PM   #24
Lynne M

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hrhpd View Post
Ah, the song that wins every "Worst Christmas Carol" contest, every year. I still can't believe that any radio station would play the thing. I think it's called "Christmas Shoes", but we always call it "Jesus Shoes".
Lynne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 05:45 PM   #25
EMom
Comes from a long line of all fork hole pokers
I had the auburn haired Chrissy doll whose hair grew. She lost most of it in an incense fire. Don't ask

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynne M View Post
Ah, the song that wins every "Worst Christmas Carol" contest, every year. I still can't believe that any radio station would play the thing. I think it's called "Christmas Shoes", but we always call it "Jesus Shoes".
Although I truly loathe the Dying Mama Shoes song, the one that makes me put a gun to my head is Chrissie Hynde's version of "Have Yourself a Merry Christmas." It is the single most depressing Christmas song ever. I have walked out of dressing rooms without finishing trying on clothes when I have heard that suicidal wailing.
EMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 05:51 PM   #26
Halloweenqueen
Whenever Candle Lights Flicker...

My personal worst....Bruce Springsteen's "Santa Claus is coming to town". UGH
Old 11-19-2012, 06:06 PM   #27
SAHDad
DIS Veteran

Quote:
DW, is that you???

Hey now, I cry when I hear that song.

Of course, I am crying "Dear God, just make it stop already! Why do they they have to keep playing this song? I just heard it twenty minutes ago! STOP!"

Current running streak - 2017 days in a row. Yearly mileage to date: 179.1. Last update: 2/25/14.

All runners are equal. Some however, are apparently more equal than others.
SAHDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 06:28 PM   #28
Kimbysmom
Mouseketeer

Quote:
This literally made me lol, because I always feel the same way about that blasted song. I also hate "A Wonderful Christmas Time" thanks to my local mall and supermarket, etc. I swear, that and that awful Mariah Carey "All I Want For Christmas" song is all they ever play every single year! I love good Christmas carols though.

Kimbysmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 06:32 PM   #29
LBIJim
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireDancer View Post
My Christmas tree goes up sometime in December and comes down sometime in December. It is never up in either November or January. I love Christmas, it is my favorite holiday, but I don't need it to bleed over into other months.
Since Thanksgiving is the earliest it can fall this year, and since there's still 10 days in November afterwards, my suggestion is for the world to follow Fire Dancer's example. No holiday store decorations before December 1, no carols or other holiday music, nothing Xmas related in November. There's plenty of time in December to decorate and get into the Xmas spirit.

I haven't noticed Xmas music in stores yet, but maybe I've developed the ability to tune it out.

Home Depot already had cut trees in their garden center yard this past weekend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by goofyintoronto View Post

YUP! This is me too. Only i take my tree down on boxing day, or the 27th. Lol. I dont see the point of leaving the tree up when christmas has past.

What's taking you so long to remove your tree??? You should do what a neighbor of mine once did. About 5 or 6 years ago I noticed him taking down the outdoor lights about 3pm Christmas Day in a light rain. The tree was already at the curb. I ran into him a few days later at the supermarket and mentioned that I noticed him taking down the decorations. His response: "Christmas was over."

Personally, I think there may have been an ugly scene that Christmas morning. The snotty kids probably didn't get what they wanted, kept whining about it, and he got so fed up with it he finally heaved the tree out the door.

I'll probably put up our tree the weekend of December 15th, and it will likely stay up until the first weekend in January. But after December 28th or so, it's just "there", not really looked at or lighted up anymore. It's a too lazy to take it down kind of thing.

Jim
LBIJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 06:33 PM   #30
LBIJim
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halloweenqueen View Post
My personal worst....Bruce Springsteen's "Santa Claus is coming to town". UGH
OTOH, the best Christmas song of all time is Cher's version of "O Holy Night!"

Jim
LBIJim is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread