Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-19-2012, 09:11 AM   #46
luvsJack
DIS Veteran

Actually this has always been the way it worked in any organization I gave volunteered for. Not everyone delivers or picks up orders. Usually the one with the best prices doesn't. Actually most positions on any board have many more duties than that.

10 pounds closer to Skinny Island!
luvsJack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 09:16 AM   #47
Laura66
DIS Veteran

If they have been a reliable vendor for so long I think it would be unwise to switch at this time!
I do think you are being unreasonable - 20 minutes is nothing. You are going to spend a lot more than 20 minutes of your time to find a new, reliable vendor.
Laura66 is online now   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-19-2012, 09:42 AM   #48
DipsyDoodles
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovin'fl View Post
I have to agree. I have been involved with uniform and spirit wear ordering for my DDs' softball team in the past and they NEVER deliver the stuff to us.
Same here!
DipsyDoodles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 09:47 AM   #49
luvdzny
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arielle22 View Post
What was you understanding of the position when you accepted the position? I don't see a 20 minute drive to be too much out of the way.

It seems like you made some assumptions as did the other mom. I see no reason why the other mom should have to take the orders. Also I have never see a company drop off orders without someone paying for shipping.

If you cannot met the requirements as you now know them, then you should talk to the head of the activity about finding a replacement.

I totally agree with this!

luvdzny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 09:54 AM   #50
tvguy
Sailed on:The Mermoz, Norway, Nordic Prince, Sovereign of the Seas, Amsterdam, Magic & Pride of America

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvsJack View Post
Actually this has always been the way it worked in any organization I gave volunteered for. Not everyone delivers or picks up orders. Usually the one with the best prices doesn't. Actually most positions on any board have many more duties than that.
Must be different here. All the vendors here bid on price, they deliver, and usually they throw in some perks.....in Little Leagues case they'd throw in a couple of cases of baseballs, or the soda vendors would through in $500 signing bonuses, and an electronic scoreboard.
Old 11-19-2012, 09:57 AM   #51
Tigger&Belle
I'm the good girl on the DIS

Snarky is my middle name
So many comments, so many points

I wouldn't be happy about having to deliver/pickup mistake orders. Seems that he should go out of his way to get those to you and it should be done in a timely manner.

Regarding pickups--in general, it depends on what the understanding was. If the volunteer is supposed to deliver/pick-up, that's what you should do. To put the former volunteer in that role isn't fair--she shouldn't have to be the middle-man. Or woman. Now if she volunteered to do it to save you a trip, that's fine, but it shouldn't be expected.

I agree about the orders being mailed. Deposit the money into a group acct, write the check, and mail everything off. Much simpler.

We've always gone and picked up orders for local items (ie, trophies). As the coach's wife, I've gone and picked up plenty of trophies, but that's how it's done here, so no big deal.

As for next year, I would put the word out and get bids. You may find out that he is giving a good deal, however there's no reason not to get some more information about other companies.
Old 11-19-2012, 09:58 AM   #52
Mkrop
I just cant go on demand
Hi my name is Mkop and I am a cart leaver!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob NC View Post
I think you have decided that dealing with this company is a pain in the butt and you will blow the most miniscule tasks out of proportion to seem like an even bigger pain.

One example is your inability to get cash and orders to him because you don't want to mail cash. Geez, just take the cash, write a check out of your account, and mail him the check and the orders. It's simple, but, I think you are making a HUGE deal out of everything rather than trying to break all the details down into more manageable solutions.

Forget about the woman who was volunteering before. Forget about how many free shirts she and her family received.

Send this guy the orders. Try to group them to cut down on the number of shipments. Tell him to either ship them to you, or deliver them, when they are ready.

The cash does seem like an easy solve. Are the checks made out to the vendor though?
June 2008 Contemporary
Dec 2008 Boardwalk Inn
June 2009 Disneyland Hotel and DCA
Jan 2010 DVC Boardwalk Villas
Dec 2010 DVC BLT
July-Aug 2011 Disneyland Park Vue Inn
Dec 2011 DVC BW
July 2012 DVC BC
Dec 2013 DVC AKL/BW
Mkrop is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 10:42 AM   #53
Cheshire Figment
Friend of Figment

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollieplus2 View Post
Had to laugh at this response. You must be or deal with contracting!!! I'm a government contracting officer and I never thought I would see a post like this in the DIS made my day.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mkrop View Post
Or in sales...my DH talks this "language" all the time
I am a retired CPA. When I worked for the Feds part of my job was being a COTR.

And I use this procedure often. When I purchased my latest ECV and the lift for my car I used this procedure and save a couple of thousand dollars from list. And the last time I needed tires for my car, the dealership said they would match any legitimate offer from within 50 miles from a non-internet vendor. In both cases I put what I was after and asked for an out-the-door price including installations, taxes, etc.

Now Working Part Time at Walt Disney World! (Guest Services/Ticket Sales)

A few very helpful links which are on DisBoards:
Everything About WDW Tickets and this one disABILITIES FAQs
Cheshire Figment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 10:53 AM   #54
disykat
DIS Veteran

I'm surprised at all the people who say to run the money through your personal account. That would be a HUGE no no in ANY of the organizations I'm involved with! If I did that, I would make sure I had documentation, signed by several people, explaining why I did that! A much better way would be to deposit the cash and get get a check, running all the money through the organization's account.

I'm also pretty shocked at all the people who think that once you've volunteered for something you're stuck, regardless of how inconveninent.
Old 11-19-2012, 11:06 AM   #55
Mickeyrella
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arielle22 View Post
What was you understanding of the position when you accepted the position? I don't see a 20 minute drive to be too much out of the way.

It seems like you made some assumptions as did the other mom. I see no reason why the other mom should have to take the orders. Also I have never see a company drop off orders without someone paying for shipping.

If you cannot met the requirements as you now know them, then you should talk to the head of the activity about finding a replacement.
I agree.

And I also agree that 20 minutes is not a long drive
Mickeyrella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 11:20 AM   #56
Tinker'n'Fun
"apple", peaches, "pumpkin pie", who's not ready holler "I"...
i'm just trying to be optimistic!
I am SO CLUELESS and I hate it!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by disykat View Post
I'm surprised at all the people who say to run the money through your personal account. That would be a HUGE no no in ANY of the organizations I'm involved with! If I did that, I would make sure I had documentation, signed by several people, explaining why I did that! A much better way would be to deposit the cash and get get a check, running all the money through the organization's account.

I'm also pretty shocked at all the people who think that once you've volunteered for something you're stuck, regardless of how inconvenient.
I don't think the posters feel the OP is stuck and should suck it up, I get the opposite feeling. She can very easily tell the board she was unaware of the requirements of the position and can not meet them and to please put it in the next meeting to re-open the position.

I do agree that you should never use your own account when working with an organization!!!
Tinker'n'Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 12:20 PM   #57
badblackpug
If you knew her you would be shocked!

Actually, I have to agree that you are being unreasonable. It seems that standard operating procedure is for the volunteer to drop off/pick up orders. It was incredibly unfair of the OP to dump the orders in her friend's lap and, basically, insist that she be responsible for doing the job that the OP signed up for. The friend gave up this position for a reason. I also think that if the negotiated price for the product did not include shipping it is unfair to expect the vendor to assume the price for shipping or delivery. I also don't get what the big deal about a 20 minute drive is?

OP, it sounds like you have signed on for a job that you are unwilling and/or unable to do. I, honestly, think you should "suck it up" for the remainder of the season, but make it known to the organization that you will not be doing the job next season.
Old 11-19-2012, 01:22 PM   #58
disykat
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by badblackpug View Post
It was incredibly unfair of the OP to dump the orders in her friend's lap and, basically, insist that she be responsible for doing the job that the OP signed up for.
Surely you can see how, since the friend still goes there regularly, OP could have thought she might be willing to pick up and deliver the straggling orders while she was there. I don't think OP signed up for the dealing with and picking up straggling orders. She was unaware of this part of the job when she signed up.
Old 11-19-2012, 01:22 PM   #59
Mkrop
I just cant go on demand
Hi my name is Mkop and I am a cart leaver!

I am getting the impression that the OP thought this was a job she could do at her kitchen table, counting some money and orders and nothing else.
June 2008 Contemporary
Dec 2008 Boardwalk Inn
June 2009 Disneyland Hotel and DCA
Jan 2010 DVC Boardwalk Villas
Dec 2010 DVC BLT
July-Aug 2011 Disneyland Park Vue Inn
Dec 2011 DVC BW
July 2012 DVC BC
Dec 2013 DVC AKL/BW
Mkrop is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 01:27 PM   #60
disykat
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mkrop View Post
I am getting the impression that the OP thought this was a job she could do at her kitchen table, counting some money and orders and nothing else.
I agree that there was a large misunderstanding when OP was passed the job. OP works full time and thought this was something she could do, but now is being expected to find an hour (20+ minutes there and back) mulitiple times to take care of botched orders etc.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: