Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-18-2012, 10:56 PM   #31
disneydee6
DIS Veteran

I think that, if you were to consider using another vendor, get their prices and deals (ie: delivery fees, pickup etc) and compare to your current vendor. Perhaps getting an idea of what you would pay with others would give you (and HIM) some perspective and you can decide if you are being an unreasonable volunteer (which I don't think you are. It is perfectly OK to say that what they are asking for is too much of someone who is trying their best to manage their time volunteering) . I hear you that it can be very challenging trying to balance work with volunteer activities (and that a '20 minute drive' is never that simple lol). It is perfectly acceptable to question this practice. Whether or not it is normal for his business is something I do not know.
And business is business. Regardless of his past contributions, he is making money and if you can find a vendor that is willing to meet your needs when he isn't, then he can wave byebye to this customer.
disneydee6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 11:17 PM   #32
allison443
DIS Veteran

OP I understand that you didn't think you would have to pick up the items. However, now that it turns out that's what has to be done, if it was me I would just suck it up for this year and do it. Especially since people already gave you cash and checks for the items. Have you even ordered the items while all this haggling is going on? I remember one apparel sale we organized for a sports league, a lot of people ordered items for holiday gifts. So you might want to follow the solution mentioned earlier and at least mail the orders in so the vendor can get started.

I don't understand why you said "I don't get anything out of it" why would you get something out of it? It's a volunteer thing.
allison443 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-18-2012, 11:19 PM   #33
allison443
DIS Veteran

Also meant to add, if you don't have time to pick up the items at a place that's 20 minutes away, you may want to consider if you have time to put out a request for proposals, evaluate other businesses, talk to others in the group about a new vendor, etc. Sounds like that would take a lot of time! So I think it's reasonable for you to finish this year but then gracefully bow out.
allison443 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 12:11 AM   #34
The Mystery Machine
DIS Veteran

I would just drop off and pick up right now. If there were any "messed up orders" I would be sitting on him in his shop to resolve it promptly or else. I don't have a lot of patience for that kind of shenanagins. He would be getting the stink eye from me.

In the meantime I would be shopping around to get pricing from other vendors.

I would not even be bugging the former volunteer person. I don't care what her position is with the guy.

I do have to question why you took on this role if you did not want to do it. That is kind of odd to me.
The Mystery Machine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 01:21 AM   #35
FlyingDumbo
DIS Veteran

Was the former volunteer friends with this vendor? Sound like he has a sweet deal. He messed up and you need to go back and forth? I'd be shopping around. In this day and age service counts.
FlyingDumbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 05:18 AM   #36
mdsoccermom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovin'fl View Post
I have to agree. I have been involved with uniform and spirit wear ordering for my DDs' softball team in the past and they NEVER deliver the stuff to us.
Same here, at least with the spirit wear. I always have to pick up the items from the vendor. It's no big deal. I'm the one who volunteered for the position, so I have to handle all the responsibilities that one with it, including driving 20 minutes.

Frankly, I can't stand when people play the "I'm so much busier than you" game. If the OP is too busy to do all of the job, then she needs to find a replacement.
mdsoccermom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 05:24 AM   #37
hollieplus2
Tags always make people happy
I kept saying chewable
My toes might appreciate some alone time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheshire Figment View Post
I would put out a "Request For Proposal" to all the T-Shirt Vendors in your area, including your current source.

Give information related to the approximate quantity of shirts that will be needed and what will have to be done as far as artwork and names. Ask about delivery information. Also ask about late orders and how size/name mismatches will be handled. State in the RFP that it will not necessarily be given to the low bidder, but the one that offers the best overall package.

Of course set a deadline for receipt of the proposals/draft contracts. And then go with the one with the best overall offer.
Had to laugh at this response. You must be or deal with contracting!!! I'm a government contracting officer and I never thought I would see a post like this in the DIS made my day.

July 2006---Pop, ASMovies, Animal Kingdom
September/October 2007---POFQ
December 2009---WDW & DCL
September 2012---POR/ToT 10 Miler
hollieplus2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 05:57 AM   #38
sam_gordon
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by disykat View Post
I see no reason to continue using an inconvenient vendor if there are others closer.
No reason? What if he's cheaper? What if he has better quality? What if he offers something nearby vendors don't (remember, the shirts are an analogy, not the actual product)?

Quote:
Originally Posted by loricdietzel View Post
I think that unfortunately you are stuck with what you've got for the rest of the year. Next year either give up the position or insist on a new vendor if you want to continue to volunteer in this way.
Gotta agree here. I understand the current situation is frustrating and "not what you signed up for", but I think you just need to live with it. Before next "season" rolls around do your homework. Find out what other nearby vendors provide the same service and find out what they would charge for the same product. I don't think you need to include the current vendor, you know what he charges. Present the options to the "powers that be" (unless you have the power to make a change by yourself).

It sounds like your talking thousands of items. If the closer vendor charges 50 cents more an item, is it worth spending $500 more for you to save 5-10 hours (maybe)?

ETA: I don't think it's up to you to say next year "We're only doing one order"... that should come with the blessing the organization you're working with.
Bay Lake Towers, WDW June 1 - June 6, 2011
Polynesian, WDW Dec. 29, 2008 - Jan. 3, 2009
Wilderness Lodge, WDW, June 2005
Polynesian, WDW Sept. 7 - Sept. 14, 2001
Caribbean Beach, June 1993
sam_gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 06:56 AM   #39
Mkrop
I just cant go on demand
Hi my name is Mkop and I am a cart leaver!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arielle22 View Post
What was you understanding of the position when you accepted the position? I don't see a 20 minute drive to be too much out of the way.
It seems like you made some assumptions as did the other mom. I see no reason why the other mom should have to take the orders. Also I have never see a company drop off orders without someone paying for shipping.

If you cannot met the requirements as you now know them, then you should talk to the head of the activity about finding a replacement.
20minutes even with traffic etc is not that big a deal in my opinion. You volunteered, you should do it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicolepa View Post
I'm going to be the dissenter here. Yes, I think you are being unreasonable. You are basically demanding that he deliver to you because you pay him. Not knowing what the item is and using the example of shirts, I do not know of any vendor who would personally deliver. We always have a volunteer go pick up our shirts/jerseys/whatever. Sometimes it's the volunteer, sometimes we ask if someone else can do it if the volunteer can't for whatever reason.

20 minutes is nothing, really. If he normally delivered and now he won't that's a different story. Sounds like you either need to use a different vendor next year or you need to find a different volunteer. (I'm thinking the latter would be the best.)
I will dissent too. You stepped up, you should have asked all these questions BEFORE volunteering. Put an email out to the group, maybe some lives or travels over that area and would be willing to drop the stuff off for you. And the SAHM line is crap...you volunteered, if you cant do it then dont. She probably has a ton of other stuff to do depsite the fact that she doesnt work. I know I do. I volunteer for a ton of stuff, if you have a job that you volunteered for then do it. I have other stuff to do. If I am out that way for some reason (and just bc she works for him doesnt mean she is out that way) then yes I would offer to run it by, BUT YOU volunteered for it this time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hrhpd View Post
I do a similar type volunteer position for several teams.

I have facilitated the order of sweatshirts, t-shirts, swim suits, fins, shoes, uniforms and other assorted apparel for large teams.

We deal with numerous vendors.

Not a single one of them delivers. We can either choose to pay a large shipping fee, a large delivery fee or go pick up the orders ourselves.

I think you are being unreasonable.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdsoccermom View Post
Same here, at least with the spirit wear. I always have to pick up the items from the vendor. It's no big deal. I'm the one who volunteered for the position, so I have to handle all the responsibilities that one with it, including driving 20 minutes.

Frankly, I can't stand when people play the "I'm so much busier than you" game. If the OP is too busy to do all of the job, then she needs to find a replacement.
Same here, none of our logo wear is delivered, we (or someone in the organization) picks it up to save costs. If we had it delivered either by mail or them driving it to us, it would cost more.

With that all said, if you are unhappy with this arrangement, then you can present to your board options that have the caveat, that if I am to continue to do this next year/time, then we need to have a vendor that delivers or is closer to where I can pick it up. If they dont want to change vendors, than you can step down.
June 2008 Contemporary
Dec 2008 Boardwalk Inn
June 2009 Disneyland Hotel and DCA
Jan 2010 DVC Boardwalk Villas
Dec 2010 DVC BLT
July-Aug 2011 Disneyland Park Vue Inn
Dec 2011 DVC BW
July 2012 DVC BC
Dec 2013 DVC AKL/BW
Aug 2014 DVC DCA
Mkrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 06:58 AM   #40
Mkrop
I just cant go on demand
Hi my name is Mkop and I am a cart leaver!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheshire Figment View Post
I would put out a "Request For Proposal" to all the T-Shirt Vendors in your area, including your current source.

Give information related to the approximate quantity of shirts that will be needed and what will have to be done as far as artwork and names. Ask about delivery information. Also ask about late orders and how size/name mismatches will be handled. State in the RFP that it will not necessarily be given to the low bidder, but the one that offers the best overall package.

Of course set a deadline for receipt of the proposals/draft contracts. And then go with the one with the best overall offer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hollieplus2 View Post
Had to laugh at this response. You must be or deal with contracting!!! I'm a government contracting officer and I never thought I would see a post like this in the DIS made my day.
Or in sales...my DH talks this "language" all the time
June 2008 Contemporary
Dec 2008 Boardwalk Inn
June 2009 Disneyland Hotel and DCA
Jan 2010 DVC Boardwalk Villas
Dec 2010 DVC BLT
July-Aug 2011 Disneyland Park Vue Inn
Dec 2011 DVC BW
July 2012 DVC BC
Dec 2013 DVC AKL/BW
Aug 2014 DVC DCA
Mkrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 07:16 AM   #41
Disney Doll
DIS Security Matron

If you didn't know what you were signing up for, you probably shouldn't have signed up. My first caveat of volunteering is always "Tell me exactly what my role/responsibility will be". That way there are no surprises.

I would say for this year, since things are already in full swing, you should just deal with the guy you have to deal with the way you have to deal with him.

If it means that much to you, or you want to put in additional time & effort, then do what a PP suggested and get proposals from other vendors who you consider more acceptable and present them to the group as an alternative for next year. Chesire Figment's post has all the necessary information you would need to request proposals.

As far as the other lady...not her job to make your life easier. She has time constraints too, SAHM mom or not.

Or you can just finish out what you said you'd do for this year then not volunteer at all next year, or volunteer in a different area that would be more acceptable to you.
It's time to put on your big girl panties and deal with it!
Don't be so open-minded that your brains fall out.
There's no pill that cures stupid.
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog.
You are his life, his love, his leader.
He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart.
You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
~~In loving memory of Teddy~~1994-2007~~
Disney  Doll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 07:51 AM   #42
Bob NC
DIS Veteran
I am a trained professional
$7.61
Wilma Flintstone can vacuum my floors with a baby elephant anyday!

I think you have decided that dealing with this company is a pain in the butt and you will blow the most miniscule tasks out of proportion to seem like an even bigger pain.

One example is your inability to get cash and orders to him because you don't want to mail cash. Geez, just take the cash, write a check out of your account, and mail him the check and the orders. It's simple, but, I think you are making a HUGE deal out of everything rather than trying to break all the details down into more manageable solutions.

Forget about the woman who was volunteering before. Forget about how many free shirts she and her family received.

Send this guy the orders. Try to group them to cut down on the number of shipments. Tell him to either ship them to you, or deliver them, when they are ready.
Bob NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 07:56 AM   #43
luvmy3
When I drink I find its easier to watch my children because I see all 3 of them double, so all 6 of them of them take all my attention

OP, has the Tshirt guy made deliveries in the past or has the volunteer always been the one doing the running around?
luvmy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 08:10 AM   #44
mjkacmom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob NC View Post
One example is your inability to get cash and orders to him because you don't want to mail cash. Geez, just take the cash, write a check out of your account, and mail him the check and the orders. It's simple, but, I think you are making a HUGE deal out of everything rather than trying to break all the details down into more manageable solutions..
This really jumped out at me - you deposit the cash, and write a check! I can't imagine spending 40 minutes driving cash to a vendor, when I could simply put a check in the mail, and an order form.
Old 11-19-2012, 08:23 AM   #45
Bren's Mom
DIS Veteran

I will agree that the cash issue was the first thing I wanted to say something about. I see that other posters have mentioned this too...deposit it all into your personal account and write a check OR paypal him OR give it to the organization's treasurer and have THEM write a check (this would be first choice personally) or pay with the organization's debit card.

I am active in PTA. Vendors is one issue where I things should be very clear cut but they're not. Imo, every so often you should RFP (informally) the local vendors to be sure you're getting the best deal on behalf of your organization AND that works well with your organization.

I think, though, that this year you have to suck it up and either pick up the shirts (one time) yourself or ask someone else in the organization to do it for you. Then offer to chair this issue next year letting them know you'll be RFPing and doing it YOUR way...or you won't be doing it at all.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: