Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-17-2012, 02:19 PM   #1
BrownEyedGrl
Earning My Ears

Travel Plug Adapters

My friends and I are traveling to Italy, Paris and London this January so we need the adapters. I have been looking at universal ones and they look so cumbersome. Does anyone have any experience using one? It seems as if there were two outlets you wouldn't be able to plug anything into the second outlet. I'd prefer not having to carry out individual ones for each country. I would need three for each country. Any advice or anything would be so appreciated!!
BrownEyedGrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 02:21 PM   #2
bas71873
DIS Veteran

A friend of mine just traveled to Paris and had a hard time finding one, but another friend of mine had just been to England over the summer so friend 1 ended up borrowing friend 2's adapter and it was usable in both countries. It wasn't very big (smaller than a timer you would plug into the wall to time lights off and on) and I'm not sure how many things could be plugged in at once, but having to carry more than 1 wouldn't be a bid deal I don't think.

Friend 2 said she got hers at Bed, Bath & Beyond over the summer. Hope that helps some!

Portifino Bay - June, 2015; [/COLOR]Disney Dream - April, 2015; Yacht Club Club Level- January, 2014; Renaissance Orlando at Sea World-August, 2012; AKL Pool View-October, 2010; ; HRH Club Level-August, 2009;
Wilderness Lodge-Girls Only - Oct, 2008
;Pop Century, First Trip to WDW - Feb 2008
bas71873 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-17-2012, 02:26 PM   #3
BrownEyedGrl
Earning My Ears

Wow! Thanks for responding so quickly! They used a universal adapter I am assuming?
Old 11-17-2012, 02:29 PM   #4
BCDisneyFanatic
DIS Veteran

What do you need the adapters for? Is it hair dryers, curling irons, etc., or is it to plug in electronics (laptops, iPhones, etc.)? Depending on the appliance you may or may not need a converter as well as an adaptor.
BCDisneyFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 02:29 PM   #5
clh2
I am the Pixie Stick NARC at my house

What about something like this? We bought one like this about 5 years ago - it has travelled to Germany, Spain, France and the Netherlands.

Click Here

"WONDER" ful trip 10/2003
followed by a couple of days at the Swan

I want a real countdown timer again!
clh2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 02:37 PM   #6
BrownEyedGrl
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCDisneyFanatic View Post
What do you need the adapters for? Is it hair dryers, curling irons, etc., or is it to plug in electronics (laptops, iPhones, etc.)? Depending on the appliance you may or may not need a converter as well as an adaptor.
I'm not bringing any hair dryers or curling irons. I would need to charge my cameras and my iPod/Pad from time to time. I have looked into the converters and I don't need those luckily.

Quote:
Originally Posted by clh2 View Post
What about something like this? We bought one like this about 5 years ago - it has travelled to Germany, Spain, France and the Netherlands.

Click Here
I have seen those; what I was concern about was it being too large and not being able to plug anything else into that outlet. If the outlet has 2 sockets would is the adapter small enough to be able to plug something in to two sockets?
Old 11-17-2012, 02:45 PM   #7
Albort
ODV Crew
The challenge is - who can find me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrownEyedGrl View Post
I'm not bringing any hair dryers or curling irons. I would need to charge my cameras and my iPod/Pad from time to time. I have looked into the converters and I don't need those luckily.
for iPod/iPad, u can use something like this
http://store.apple.com/us/product/MB...AOS-US-KWG-PLA

Just bring the correct heads with u. You should probably call your hotels head of time though. Most Hotels have multiple head outlets. Also, some hotels will have converters if you need them. As for your camera, u have to worry about the different voltage check to see the brick part of the charge and see if its 110V--240V...
Old 11-17-2012, 03:09 PM   #8
Danauk
I would be sitting on the patio of the Fontana bar at the Bellagio hotel in Las Vegas watching the dancing fountains on a warm balmy night whilst sipping vintage Champagne

When we travel abroad to a country which has different plugs to what we normally use we make up a 6 way adapter with the countries plug we are traveling to on the end of it. That way we can just plug our electronics into the power strip like we usually would at home and they do not need extra adapters. We have made up several of these now during our various travels. We were able to buy the plugs in a local electrical store but I am sure they would be available to buy on line.
Disneyland Paris: Aug 1998 (off site - honeymoon), Easter 2004 (Hotel New York), Feb 2005 (off site), April 2008 (Hotel New York), October 2008 (Disneyland Hotel), November 2008 (Hotel New York), August 2013, Halloween 2013, New Year 2013/4, August 2014, New Year 2014/15, Easter 2015 WDW: August 2003 (Beach Club Villas - 5th anniversary), Christmas/New Year 2005/6 (Beach Club Villas), August 2009 (Animal Kingdom Lodge savanna view - 11th anniversary) Disneyland: August 2008 (Grand Californian, theme park view - 10th anniversary)
Danauk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 03:14 PM   #9
bas71873
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Wow! Thanks for responding so quickly! They used a universal adapter I am assuming?
I assume so. That one worked in both countries?? I will also say that both ladies said adapters or converters (whatever they are called, if there's a difference) were easily found in the touristy areas.

Portifino Bay - June, 2015; [/COLOR]Disney Dream - April, 2015; Yacht Club Club Level- January, 2014; Renaissance Orlando at Sea World-August, 2012; AKL Pool View-October, 2010; ; HRH Club Level-August, 2009;
Wilderness Lodge-Girls Only - Oct, 2008
;Pop Century, First Trip to WDW - Feb 2008
bas71873 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 06:44 PM   #10
Carl
DIS Veteran

You can plug a short extension card, with multiple outlets, into one adapter and have as many outlets as you need. I bought my adapter from Amazon. The correct adapter has two round plugs on one end and the other has the female part that allows you to plug in a USA plug. Buy the narrow kind of adapter, not the large round one, and it should fit plugs all over Europe.
Carl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 09:19 AM   #11
lizabu
DIS Veteran

I did the same thing and just bought an adapter that works any where in Europe. Its only for electronics so it doesn't have to convert currents. It's very small and only cost 10 bucks. I'm a little confused byt the question. I've used the same adapter in England, Sweden, France, Belguim, Egypt...the middle east and anywhere else I've forgotten. It's all the same thing over there.
lizabu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 11:12 AM   #12
BrownEyedGrl
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl View Post
You can plug a short extension card, with multiple outlets, into one adapter and have as many outlets as you need. I bought my adapter from Amazon. The correct adapter has two round plugs on one end and the other has the female part that allows you to plug in a USA plug. Buy the narrow kind of adapter, not the large round one, and it should fit plugs all over Europe.
You brought just a regular extension cord and one adapter?
Old 11-18-2012, 01:17 PM   #13
lizabu
DIS Veteran

Quote:
You brought just a regular extension cord and one adapter?
You can do that. Just get a power bar and then the do-hickey that plugs into to electrical outlet and then plug the power bar into the do-hickey. You can then plug your camera, cell phone and whatever else in all at once.
lizabu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 11:06 AM   #14
BrownEyedGrl
Earning My Ears

Thanks for the help everyone! I think I am going to end up plugging something into the adapter so there are more outlets.

I appreciate the advice!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: