Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando Stroller rental questions and share tips.
Orlando Stroller Rentals is your #1 place to rent a high-end stroller to use during your family vaction to the Orlando area.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Families
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-18-2012, 07:47 PM   #1
frostymom
Mouseketeer

Need info from Single parents with 2 young children

Help me please!

Since our last visit to WDW a lot has changed. I'm a single mom of two boys 5 and 8. I want to go back! I am apprehensive to go back with 2 small boys, I know some rides we can do three together but there are some we can not.

My plan is to go back next fall...they will be 6 and 9 then. What experiences can anyone share with me about rides and the like?

Thanks in advance!

A LONG TIME IN THE MAKING!
frostymom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 08:58 PM   #2
kohlby
DIS Veteran

Most rides can fit 3 across. And if you can't, then your oldest can ride without you, per Disney policy. Also, it's possible your youngest will hit 44" by then if he hasn't already. (Measured with sneakers on, of course!) That will leave just a couple of 48" rides out. The only possible tricky ride is the Speedway since they need to be rather tall to ride alone, I think it's 54". So measure your 9 year old to make sure he makes it before planning on that one. (My oldest is 9 and 57" without sneakers and a little tall for his age. So, I'd presume that 54" would be made by many 9 year olds, though not all).
kohlby is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-18-2012, 10:05 PM   #3
kathyinfl
Earning My Ears

I think it would be fine, actually great ages to take them. They would be old enough to understand all that is happening, have a great time, make super memories and be old enough to mind their mother.

My neighbor is a single mom. She and her boys do so many things together and actually did Disney last fall (2011) before her youngest was 3.

I suggest you taking the trip before your youngest turns into the "adult" price which I believe is at age 10.

Wishing a great time.
kathyinfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 10:46 PM   #4
Leajess99
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kohlby View Post
Most rides can fit 3 across. And if you can't, then your oldest can ride without you, per Disney policy. Also, it's possible your youngest will hit 44" by then if he hasn't already. (Measured with sneakers on, of course!) That will leave just a couple of 48" rides out. The only possible tricky ride is the Speedway since they need to be rather tall to ride alone, I think it's 54". So measure your 9 year old to make sure he makes it before planning on that one. (My oldest is 9 and 57" without sneakers and a little tall for his age. So, I'd presume that 54" would be made by many 9 year olds, though not all).
The speedway is 56 to ride alone. My 9 year old still can't ride alone as she is just under 55".

OP - you older child can ride on the rides by himself if it does not seat 3. There really aren't that many that you would be separated on though.
Leajess99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 01:19 PM   #5
dragonfly08
DIS Veteran

I took my DDs to Disney when they were 4 and 7, just the three of us. The only thing we wanted to ride but couldn't without another adult was the Speedway, because DD #1 is a peanut who didn't meet the height requirement to go alone. I'm thinking we still could have fit three in the car if we squeezed since my kids are small but we did meet up with family for part of our visit, so we had someone else available to take one of my girls.

Everything else we wanted to do, we either sat three across or DD #1 rode alone right in front of DD #2 and me. I should add that we don't do thrill rides even though my girls are tall enough, because they're a little skittish, so we didn't try any of those but I've been on at least Splash Mountain and BTMRR before (I won't do anything beyond that, myself!) and don't think we'd have had a problem had the kids wanted to ride.
dragonfly08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 01:56 PM   #6
kohlby
DIS Veteran

Just looked it up on the Disney website. I wasn't sure of the height I wrote down, but would have been very surprised if my oldest made 56" when he did it alone at 8 last year.

From the regular Disney website:
Quote:
Guests who are at least 54 inches (137 cm) tall can strap in and drive their own gas-powered race car! Guests under the height requirement can ride along as a passenger.
kohlby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 07:26 PM   #7
Leajess99
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kohlby View Post
Just looked it up on the Disney website. I wasn't sure of the height I wrote down, but would have been very surprised if my oldest made 56" when he did it alone at 8 last year.

From the regular Disney website:
Hmmm, they told my 9 year old who is almost 55" that she had to be 56" to ride alone. Oh well, no biggy as she will have more fun riding at our local go kart place that allows her in her own kart on a much bigger track and has since she was 7.
Leajess99 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: