Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando Stroller rental questions and share tips.
Orlando Stroller Rentals is your #1 place to rent a high-end stroller to use during your family vaction to the Orlando area.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Families
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-22-2012, 08:44 AM   #1
cheryterese
DIS Veteran

Ideas to surprise the kids about trip?

How did you surprise the kids with the Disney trip? I booked a trip last week but we are going not going to tell the kids until New Year's Eve. Trip is February 6th. Fun ideas on how to do it? Kids are 7, 5 and 4. We've been twice before as a family but always told them when we planned it and no big surprise. This time we were not planning to go until Feb 2014 but due to a variety of circumstances we were able to book this upcoming week long trip in February. Kids ask to go/wish we were going almost every day but think the trip is 15 months away, so this will be a HUGE surprise. Thanks!

February 6th - February 12th 2013 ~ Port Orleans Riverside ~ Mom's Birthday Trip!
October 26th - November 7th 2011 ~ Off site ~ Second Family Trip
January 26th - February 4th 2010 ~ Off site ~ First Family Trip
April 2004 ~ Port Orleans French Quarter
August 2002 ~ Wilderness Lodge (Honeymoon!)
cheryterese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 07:02 PM   #2
skrieger
Earning My Ears

I am interested in hearing also.. we are going in 17 days and I am not planning on telling the kids until we are on our way. We have a 9yo, 5yo, and 1yo.. the last time we went it we told them when we booked it so this time I figured I would have a little fun with it :]
skrieger is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-23-2012, 08:40 PM   #3
lucifie
DIS Veteran

I haven't decided for sure what we're doing, but we're going in January and telling the kids on Christmas.

One of the things I'm going to do is make a countdown chain with a title of something like "Days until Disney World" and the revel might be to have DD read it. I'll also probably include a Birnbaum's Walt Disney World for Kids. I've heard of people wrapping helium balloons so they'll come out of the box with the message. I'd love to do that, but it might be tough to sneak that past them.

I've also been thinking about doing a call from Mickey telling them they're going.

I'd love to hear what others are doing, too.
Old 11-24-2012, 01:53 AM   #4
osu2k1
Disneyland Veteran | Disneyworld Newbie

We are surprising our boys in 2 weeks.
This is our plan, it might work or not for your family.
We are getting the boys (4 & 7 yrs) up at (gasp) 4:30 AM to head to the airport. We will fly from Portland to Denver where we will have a 1 hour layover/connection.

When we get there I will be giving them each a drawstring backpack that I made. On the outside it's embroidered with Disneyworld 2012, inside is either Star wars or Cars for their personal faves. Inside the backpacks will be their custom travel journals, autograph books, pins & lanyards, coloring books/crayons for the younger boy, mad libs & math homework for the oldest, and some games. There will also be the custom maps, brochures and the DVD planning video. The best part is the Chirstmas Mickey PJs for both.

After giving them the backpack, they will have to figure out where we are going. It shouldn't take long. Of course I will be videoing it.

SURPRISE TRIP FOR THE BOYS Dec 8-15, '12: Port Orleans Riverside Royal Guest room
PTR: Santa's coming early!
osu2k1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 06:46 AM   #5
cheryterese
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by osu2k1 View Post
We are surprising our boys in 2 weeks.
This is our plan, it might work or not for your family.
We are getting the boys (4 & 7 yrs) up at (gasp) 4:30 AM to head to the airport. We will fly from Portland to Denver where we will have a 1 hour layover/connection.

When we get there I will be giving them each a drawstring backpack that I made. On the outside it's embroidered with Disneyworld 2012, inside is either Star wars or Cars for their personal faves. Inside the backpacks will be their custom travel journals, autograph books, pins & lanyards, coloring books/crayons for the younger boy, mad libs & math homework for the oldest, and some games. There will also be the custom maps, brochures and the DVD planning video. The best part is the Chirstmas Mickey PJs for both.

After giving them the backpack, they will have to figure out where we are going. It shouldn't take long. Of course I will be videoing it.
That's a great idea!!!

February 6th - February 12th 2013 ~ Port Orleans Riverside ~ Mom's Birthday Trip!
October 26th - November 7th 2011 ~ Off site ~ Second Family Trip
January 26th - February 4th 2010 ~ Off site ~ First Family Trip
April 2004 ~ Port Orleans French Quarter
August 2002 ~ Wilderness Lodge (Honeymoon!)
cheryterese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 07:06 AM   #6
lovingeire
DIS Veteran

We leave in 10 days for our surprise trip! The kids are going to find out the day we leave! We do an advent calendar with activities each year and they will receive a clue to look under the tree for a special present and find a surprise letter from Mickey and a t-shirt. I can't wait & hope they love the surprise!

DL Native=Too many trips to count!DLP: 1998Tokyo Disney 2000
Disney Magic - 3/2014
DW: 4/1995 - Off Site; 12/2009 - CBR (DH & DS1's 1st trip!); 12/2012 - AoA Cars Suite (DS2's 1st trip!); 5/2013 - Pop AEP; 8/2013 - WL; 12/2014 - ?
lovingeire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 10:56 AM   #7
Gator33
Earning My Ears

I just did a reveal for my DD and grandkids. I got each a Disney puzzle for each kid at the Dollar store and painted the backs a different color. The I hid the piece all over the house. Each kid was only to look for their own colored puzzle piece. When then put them together, each puzzle was missing 1 piece. I then told them to look for the missing piece in the kitchen , where my DH had brought out 4 big boxes (they were the big kind that had paper towels and I had wrapped them in a red plastic tablecloth, also from the dollar store.) Each box had the missing puzzle piece and written on the puzzle piece it said "open this box". Inside were mylar balloons with their favorite characters on them and a sign that said " Surprise, you are going to Disney" (very cute, customized for each kid from a Dis designer) Inside each box, I had a present. The Disney Pixar encyclopedia, the princess encyclopedia, and the Guide to the Magic and a Count Down Chain. The puzzle idea worked well for the ages 3,6,8, 11. since no one figure it out first and had a chance to blurt it out. Even the 3 yo got the gist of it, without being able to read the sign.
Gator33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 10:25 PM   #8
tmbowers
Mouseketeer

We are surprising our DD's 7 and 5 for a trip in three weeks. We have told them we may be going on a business trip with Daddy and that we will have to get up extra early. The morning of our departure we will wake them about 5 am and have them start getting dressed when I will announce that Zippy (our Elf on the Shelf) is missing. We will ask them to look for Zippy, who will be in a guest room, along with a stuffed Minnie, some balloons, and a big sign reading "Surprise, you are going to Disney!" I will also have a special present for each dd - Disney activities for the plane ride, snacks, an autograph book and pen, a disposable camera, and a Disney gift card. They are going to be so happy (and so will I)!

tmbowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 12:54 AM   #9
osu2k1
Disneyland Veteran | Disneyworld Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmbowers View Post
We are surprising our DD's 7 and 5 for a trip in three weeks. We have told them we may be going on a business trip with Daddy and that we will have to get up extra early. The morning of our departure we will wake them about 5 am and have them start getting dressed when I will announce that Zippy (our Elf on the Shelf) is missing. We will ask them to look for Zippy, who will be in a guest room, along with a stuffed Minnie, some balloons, and a big sign reading "Surprise, you are going to Disney!" I will also have a special present for each dd - Disney activities for the plane ride, snacks, an autograph book and pen, a disposable camera, and a Disney gift card. They are going to be so happy (and so will I)!
Great idea!!!!!

SURPRISE TRIP FOR THE BOYS Dec 8-15, '12: Port Orleans Riverside Royal Guest room
PTR: Santa's coming early!
osu2k1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 08:14 AM   #10
DisneyLvr55
The thing swooped down, hit me in the face with its wing, scooped up my dog, and flew away

I have 2 DDs, and surprised them with our trip last year. I got 2 HUGE boxes (one for each of them) and filled them with Disney stuff. Dollar Tree always has a bunch of great little Disney things that you can buy, like Disney crayons, coloring books and other trinkets. I also bought a Tinkerbelle fan, Minnie Mouse ears, trading pins, lanyards, autograph books, photo books, princess dresses with accessories.... So much other stuff that I can't remember!
I also got Disney balloons, and when they opened the boxes, they shot out. I tied a piece of paper to the string that had a picture of some Disney characters, and said something like "Surprise - Were going to Disney!!" My oldest was just able to read, so it was perfect.

Whatever you do, have a great time doing it, and record it so you can watch it over and over again!!
DisneyLvr55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 08:52 AM   #11
nannye
DIS Veteran

Here is the official Disboards Surprise Planning Thread with tips and stories!

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2809643

A July TRIP REPORT! V's Ultimate Birthday Surprise! with 99 characters and costumes galore! AKA OMG YOU HAVE A DRIZELLA DOLL! UPDATED FINALLY: April 8/13
July 2012, V and I at POR in a RGR
August 2011, V & I @ POP

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
nannye is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: