Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland (California)
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-18-2012, 06:08 PM   #1
scrapbunny
Mouseketeer

Which Character Meals are worth it?

So I am hoping the repairs that need to be done to our family van won't take all of our extra money I set aside for our January trip. If all goes well I was thinking of doing one of the character meals, either Minnie and Friends early on a day going to the park or one of the hotel meals when we get into town or on our way out of town. From the DisUnplugged and other reviews I'm thinking Minnie and Friends is the best bet. Would love any input
scrapbunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 06:16 PM   #2
Girimama33
"I've disgraced the forces of evil."

My favorite is Ariel's Grotto for lunch or dinner. Since you are asking about breakfast, I would choose Minnie and Friends as well.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-18-2012, 06:51 PM   #3
coaches24
DIS Veteran

we have done Minnie's for Breakfast and AG for lunch. Minnie's was BY FAR the better deal. The food at AG is good no doubt but I left there feeling ripped off because the character interaction is terrible. You get a few seconds with each princess as they rush you through your meal. Next time I will wait in line at the PFF instead.

At Minnie's each character spent several minutes at our table and most came back a 2nd or 3 rd time. It's all you can eat buffet so the atmosphere is very different as well. And it's cheaper than AG. For me there isn't even a question. Minnie's over AG all day and then some.

I haven't tried the other meals but have heard both good and bad about each.
Old 11-18-2012, 07:58 PM   #4
pharmama
DIS Veteran

If you're looking at breakfast, Surf's Up with Mickey at PPH is GREAT. I've done AG 3 times (I have 3girls) and agree that the character interaction is mediocre at best (and I'd say it's gotten progressively worse over the 4yr period my 3 visits spanned).

By contrast, surfs up had fantastic character interaction, Mickey (only Character meal with him guaranteed) and fun stuff during the meal too (surf lessons, dance party etc). We saw Mickey, Stitch, Minnie, Daisy and Pluto. This seems to be a pretty common list of characters for there. I highly recommend it. Food was decent enough though admittedly nothing to rave (or rant) about.

Disneyland many times as a child, now sharing the magic with my children....
Disneyland 5K 2014 (as Lilo & DD9 as Stitch), Disneyland 10K 2014 (dressed as Jessie)
Disneyland 1/2 Marathon 2009 & 2010 (dressed as Jessie)
Disney Dream 5nt Double Dip, July 2012.
pharmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 08:03 PM   #5
chipdale74
Mouseketeer

I love crystal palace because I grew up loving Winnie the Pooh. I also love the breakfast at the beach club

mike : maddie samicasey
chipdale74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 08:22 PM   #6
sheetz
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by chipdale74 View Post
I love crystal palace because I grew up loving Winnie the Pooh. I also love the breakfast at the beach club
I think the OP is talking about character meals in DLR.
sheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 08:51 PM   #7
scrapbunny
Mouseketeer

Yes I'm asking about DLR I'm a California girl that recently got AP's for my 3 kids and myself. We travel with our friends that have AP's. I think I will try Minnie and Friends and maybe surfs Up. I am on a week break so I am trying to find the cheapest options for hotel so we can hopefully do a few extras like the character breakfast
scrapbunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 09:11 PM   #8
dadzgirl70
Mouseketeer

Minnie and Friends was by far the best character interaction I've had at breakfast.
Old 11-18-2012, 09:48 PM   #9
Mommy2PrincessAbby
DIS Veteran

We've done them all multiple times... Goofys kitchen was my least favorite, but were giving it another shot this trip... We usually do 4 of the 5 each trip. This is how I rate them: Ariel's is the best food... Plated so it isn't buffet. Surfs up is the best character interaction and a pretty decent buffet. Minnie's has the largest quantity of characters at a given meal, but my least favorite buffet. Storytellers has a great buffet, and we typically see a ton of the rarer characters, so we love that aspect. I don't think you can really go wrong... If you see characters and they aren't coming to your table say something earlier than later, they will try and remedy the situation. But it is hard to remedy if you have been there 85 of your allotted 90 minutes already.

Walt's Park:Two trips as a kid, stayed off-site. Oct '07, 4 days @ DLH, dh, dd & I. May '08, 5 days "girls only trip" @ GCH dm, dd & I. May '09, 6 days @ DLH, dh, dd & I. October '10, 5 day trip, dd and I @ PPH. Dec '12, 6 days @ PPH, dh, dd &I. Can't stand it anymore--DLH here we come Oct 25-29, 2015!

OMG--dare I say it? We went to the World!! Split Stay! CSR May 6-10 and AKL Savannah View May 10-13, 2014 (with a dash of the Darkside thrown in for good measure the 13th & 14th.)
Mommy2PrincessAbby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 10:29 PM   #10
tanyaewa
Just can't get enough!

Highly recommend plaza with Minnie and surfs up.
Depends on timing. MInnies is easy.... Surfs up requires walking over to PPH.
Old 11-18-2012, 11:33 PM   #11
dizneekrazee
Fullfilling my bucket list, one vacation at a time....

I haven't done them all yet, really need to get crackin on that, but will tell you my opinions on the 3 I have done.
Minnie's: lots of characters, great interaction. Food isn't bad for buffet. Best part, it is in Disneyland, always a plus!!
Ariels: I hated it. Did it for lunch once, and it was horrible. The only thing I liked was that the kids food came in a sand bucket. I think that has changed, it has been 10 or 11 years since I went. I am sure it has changed, but with 3 boys, never bothered going back.
Goofy's: Only been for breakfast (doing dinner next month). Another buffet, and I like that they have latin options (ex plantains, tortillas, etc). I have never had a bad experience there, but I read about it a lot. One of our most memorable character interactions ever happened here, when my oldest DS was on one of his 1st DLR trip. He was scared of the characters, so when Goofy walked by, he hid under the table. Goofy saw that, and got underneath the table with him, until he came out. He was no longer afraid of characters!!

DLR-Many times!!WDWTBD DCLfingers crossed for 10/15
Walt Disney Family Museum 3/12Club 33 8/12, 5/13, 8/13Pixar Animation Studios 1/13Aulani 4/13Walt's Apartment 5/13
dizneekrazee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 02:27 PM   #12
pixiewings71
Sweet!!! Totally!!!!!
YAY for good weather!
It's that Disney Magic, I don't know how it works but it does!

Minnie & Friends, we enjoy the food at the buffet and we love the character interaction! Ariel's Grotto, the food is amazing and plentiful, the Princesses are gracious and we really like it there.
those are the ones we've done, we did do the PPH breakfast when it was Lilo & Stitch and it was great, but we haven't done it since Mickey came in. We haven't done Storyteller's, we prefer to eat lunch or dinner there and we had a terrible experience at Goofy's and won't be back. Characters kept walking past our table, only 3 stopped, and we weren't big fans of the food.

We took 14 trips from July 07-July 08 and around 16 from Jan 09-Jan 10. We did 5 trips 2011-2012. 2012-2013 4 trips.

eBay and pins http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2213419
pixiewings71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 02:53 PM   #13
pinktink83
DIS Veteran

I've read varying opinions over the years, it seems like you either love it or hate it, lol. Personally, we always do Minnie & Friends. Its not a far walk and it has the more classic characters that I prefer. We love it.

*Disneyland (CA) 5/06: 1st w/ kids! {Trip report} *SeaWorld 8/07: 1st w/ kids! {Trip report}
*Disneyland (CA) 10/08: 1st Halloween! *Daddy/Son Legoland 5/09
*Mommy/Daughter American Girl Place LA 1/11{Trip report}
*Disneyland (CA) 11/11: 1st Christmas! *Disneyland (CA) 1/13: Carsland!
pinktink83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 03:05 PM   #14
Mary Jo
Techarita
Loves the star on the mountain

DISboards Moderator

I think that Minnie & Friends is a great choice for breakfast. After that I would choose Ariel's for lunch because I think they put out a nice meal for lunch/dinner.

I also really like Storytellers, however, the characters are all woodsy creatures, so if the kids aren't into Terk, Rafiki, Brother Bear, etc., it might not be your cup of tea.

The last time I went to Surf's Up it was different, but still enjoyed it. The last two times I went to Goofy's Kitchen I was disappointed in the character interaction.
Mary Jo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 03:06 PM   #15
Mary Jo
Techarita
Loves the star on the mountain

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixiewings71 View Post
Minnie & Friends, we enjoy the food at the buffet and we love the character interaction! Ariel's Grotto, the food is amazing and plentiful, the Princesses are gracious and we really like it there.
those are the ones we've done, we did do the PPH breakfast when it was Lilo & Stitch and it was great, but we haven't done it since Mickey came in. We haven't done Storyteller's, we prefer to eat lunch or dinner there and we had a terrible experience at Goofy's and won't be back. Characters kept walking past our table, only 3 stopped, and we weren't big fans of the food.

Oh my gosh - you could have written my post. lol
Mary Jo is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: