Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Global Neighbours > UK Trip Planning Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-20-2012, 07:44 AM   #1
Lisash
Knows all the words to 'It's A Small World'
Doesn't tell friends of her DISboard addiction

Dining plan question?

Have finally talked DH into our first onsite stay for next year at Yacht Club with free dining. Just have a quick question on menus. Is the menu different for dining plan diners or are there restrictions on only ordering certain meals from a menu.

I've often heard CM's ask if people are on dining plan in various restaurants but never known why. Just trying to work out what places give us best value for our credits
June 2003 & August 2004 - Off-site Wyndham Orlando (I-Drive)December 2005 - Off-Site Doubletree at Universal. July 2005, December 2006, August 2007, December 2008, August 2009 & December 2010 - Marriott Fairfield LBV - August 2013 on site Disney's Yacht Club - December 2013 Marriott Fairfield LBV

Lisash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 07:49 AM   #2
LeaversOnTour
Mouseketeer

There arent any restrictions on what you can order. Its the standard menu.

Although some restaurants like France offer a set menu for the 1 credit (you then get 3 courses instead of 2) as these are the cheaper items on the menu. But to be fair the food was not pleasant when we went this year

You can order the most expensive item on the menu for every meal if it takes your fancy

October 2005 - International Drive
November 2006 International Drive
October 2007 - International Drive
November 2008 - Our Honeymoon Port Oleans Riverside/I-Drive/Animal Kingdom Lodge
December 2009 Old Key west/Idrive Our DD's first trip (9 months old)3 weeks of bliss
January 2011 Old Key west/Idrive Our Other DD's first trip (just 3 months old) 4 weeks of bliss
January 2012 I-Drive/Old Key west 4 Weeks of bliss
January 2013 I Drive/Old Key west - Just us and the kids, DD Number 3's first trip 4 weeks of family fun
LeaversOnTour is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-20-2012, 08:00 AM   #3
Lisash

That's great thanks. With one very fussy teenager to feed just needed to make sure he can order his favourite things
June 2003 & August 2004 - Off-site Wyndham Orlando (I-Drive)December 2005 - Off-Site Doubletree at Universal. July 2005, December 2006, August 2007, December 2008, August 2009 & December 2010 - Marriott Fairfield LBV - August 2013 on site Disney's Yacht Club - December 2013 Marriott Fairfield LBV

Old 11-20-2012, 08:17 AM   #4
dixonsontour
DIS Veteran

As above it's the same menu.

They just ask so they can explain what you get and also process the bill differently.
20+ trips to USA 1997 onwards including All Star Movies Dec 2009 with DDP, OKW Oct 2010 with DDP, Floridays Resort Oct 2011, Bahama Bay resort May 2012, OKW Oct 2012 with DxDDP, All Star Movies Oct 2013 with DDP, Cabana bay and Universal Oct 2014

DH 40 Me 39 DD 8

Perfectly Princess Tea Party Review Disney Dining 2010 Review
Dining on a budget - $100 a day with coupons All new Dining on a Budget of $100 May 2012
Dixons go Deluxe Oct/Nov 12
dixonsontour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 09:29 AM   #5
orangetiggs
Married my sweetheart in DISNEY!!!!!

Anything can be changed too so if a steak comes wth mash you can swap it for fries, they accomadate very well we found last week with fussy eaters

Although not a great use of adult credits my fussy16 year old sister wanted kids chicken nuggets at one place and they said it was fine
Old 11-20-2012, 03:54 PM   #6
MrRomance
Planning and Plotting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisash View Post
Have finally talked DH into our first onsite stay for next year at Yacht Club with free dining. Just have a quick question on menus. Is the menu different for dining plan diners or are there restrictions on only ordering certain meals from a menu.

I've often heard CM's ask if people are on dining plan in various restaurants but never known why. Just trying to work out what places give us best value for our credits
We have had the dining plan on all of our on-site trips to WDW. We've had the regular plan (August '08 & Feb '12) and the counter service plan (July '12). I've learned a lot in our 3 trips so if you want to PM me with any questions feel free!

You don't have to order certain meals but there are specific things with the DP that you need to know. For example, for table service, you get a a main and dessert (you don't get an appetizer on the DP).

To make the most of your credits, you really need to know what is important to your party. For example, if you have kids, then character meals are included on the plan. Also, you can share counter service meals with smaller kids and save a credit for later.

I have a bunch of tips that I'm happy to share with you, but it's really about what appeals to you and your party. My family like signature dining experiences, particularly (because you're staying at Yacht Club) The Yachtsman steakhouse. We have eaten there many times on the DP but it is 2 credits, however, if you are planning to go to another attraction such as Universal or Seaworld for the day, you probably won't use that days credit so you can apply it to your signature meal.

The table service meals are great for character experiences if you have kids. We have used credits for Cinderella's Royal Table, Hollywood and Vine, Garden Grill and Crystal Palace.

If you like fine dining, there are a lot of great restaurants too. You don't get a different service on the plan and you don't get different meal options in most cases.

Hope that helps!
MrRomance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 04:46 PM   #7
wilma-bride
Would love a diet on Cadbury Flakes
Admits she's strange when it comes to eggs

DISboards Moderator

Hey 'Lisa sshhhhh'

Long time no see. As others have said, you are not restricted to a different menu with the DDP. As far as I understand it, most places ask first so they can inform you of any exclusions from the plan (some restaurants have sharing appetisers that might not be included, for example) and what drinks you can have (again, some places allow you to have specialty drinks such as smoothies and non-alcoholic cocktails whereas others limit you to soft drinks/sodas only).

When are you planning to go?
wilma-bride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 06:41 AM   #8
Lisash

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilma-bride View Post
Hey 'Lisa sshhhhh'

Long time no see. As others have said, you are not restricted to a different menu with the DDP. As far as I understand it, most places ask first so they can inform you of any exclusions from the plan (some restaurants have sharing appetisers that might not be included, for example) and what drinks you can have (again, some places allow you to have specialty drinks such as smoothies and non-alcoholic cocktails whereas others limit you to soft drinks/sodas only).

When are you planning to go?
Hi joh

I know it has been a while. It's my DD's fault. We were planning a big on site trip this year, then she announced she is getting married next year so all my time and more importantly Disney savings have gone on her. So we have delayed a year and will be going on August 19th for 2 weeks.

Old 11-21-2012, 03:12 PM   #9
WiganTony
DIS Veteran

As above, there are very few (if any - we haven't come across any yet) restrictions on what you can eat. Indeed, in August, my wife had the full Lobster at Narcoosees, and on a second visit, both she and DD had the steak and lobster tail.

With regard to best value, a number of restaurants offer a fixed three course meal (Chefs de France, Kona Cafe, Captain's Grille and the Fantasmic Package at Mama Melrose spring to mind).

It is also worth considering one of the dinner shows if you are planning on a few days away from the Disney parks, which will allow you to use up what could be wasted TS credits, and also include beer/wine and gratuity - we have visited Hoop de Doo twice.

Buffets are also worth a look, especially the character meals - Crystal Palace in MK is a particular favourite of ours, and if you get an early lunch, you could just grab a few pastries with snack credits for breakfast then use a CS credit in the evening.

2014 July/August - RPR and OKW - again!!
2013 July/August - NY, LA and San Diego
2012 August - OKW
2011 August - No Disney NY and Boston
2010 July/August - RPR and OKW
2009 Easter - Springhill Suites LBV & Cruise
2008 August - Marriott Residence Seaworld.
2007 August - CBR/Marriott Clearwater/Springhill Suites LBV
2005 August - Comfort Suites Kissimmee
Longer than I care to remember - 3 lads and their car touring Florida!!
WiganTony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 06:20 PM   #10
Holstar
Have faith in your dreams, and someday, your rainbow will come smiling through

I think I may have asked this before (terrible memory!) but, if you're doing a TS meal, could you pay extra to have a starter?

So, pay for your main and dessert using the Dining Plan, and then pay cash for a starter?

Or, is it all one way or another?

H.x

Me, 25 Ben, 27 : Daisy, 16 Jasmine, 13 Chloe, 10

.~* 22nd August - 9th September 2014, Walt Disney World Old Key West *~.
Holstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 08:52 PM   #11
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holstar View Post
I think I may have asked this before (terrible memory!) but, if you're doing a TS meal, could you pay extra to have a starter?

So, pay for your main and dessert using the Dining Plan, and then pay cash for a starter?

Or, is it all one way or another?

H.x
Yeah you, can do that no bother! You can pay out of pocket for anything you want alongside the dining plan!

9 Trips and counting!
212456 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: