Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando Stroller rental questions and share tips.
Orlando Stroller Rentals is your #1 place to rent a high-end stroller to use during your family vaction to the Orlando area.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Families
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-18-2012, 04:02 PM   #1
married2mm
DIS Veteran

do you adhere to 'normal' bedtime when on vacation?

on vacation, i'm actually awake earlier than at home,kids quickly follow then dh.
this is the reverse to normal!

so, as our days start sooner, most days we are in bed before we would usually be.
there are exceptions,e.g. if we have gone to pm emh, but most days we are am emh eager bunnies.

i was just wondering what others do?
married2mm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 04:37 PM   #2
DisneyRegulars
DIS Veteran

We adhere to normal bedtimes, but only because at precisely 5 minutes past my son's bedtime he turns into a complete monster just to remind us why we ALWAYS put him to bed on time. When he gets older we'll be more lax with his bedtime once he can keep himself together for late nights. Right now we are rope drop people so the 7:30 pm bedtime works for us, but I do miss the fireworks shows.

Trip report from our first DVC trip: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2864556
Plus our Anniversary Vacation: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2954701
Trip report with a potty training toddler: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2987412
I survived a trip with MIL: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3040750
A Magic Kingdom Ultimate Tour Adventure http://www.disboards.com/showpost.ph...92&postcount=1
First trip with Magic Bands http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3170056
Post Holiday Trip Report http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3201404
Non-Fancy Fanatics at VGF http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3268362
Sept '03 (All Star Sports, DH's first trip) || March '04 (Travelodge) || March '05 (Star Island) || XMAS '06 (All Star Vacation Home) || March '07 (POP, Deluxe Dining Plan) || March '09 (POP) || June '09 Disney Land || April '11 (All Star Vacation Home, DS's first trip-14m) || January '12 (OKW, first DVC trip) || July '12 (Boardwalk, Anniversary Trip) || Sept '12 (AKV) || Jan '13 (AKV) || July '13 (SSR, Anniversary Trip) || September '13 (SSR) || January '14 (Boardwalk, AKV) || May '14 (VGF and Expedition Everest Challenge)
DisneyRegulars is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-18-2012, 04:43 PM   #3
MSSANDRA
DIS Veteran

We do because we are always at rope drop and try to do at least AM EMH at MK and we know that we can not burn the candle on both ends. When DS was younger and would nap mid-day, we could do late nights but that just does not happen any more. He is a kid that NEEDS 12 hours and if we are going to be out of the room by 8 most mornings, we NEED him in bed my 8. We do a few later nights but try not to do too many.
MSSANDRA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 05:07 PM   #4
WantToGoNow
DIS Veteran

We have never gone to bed at "normal home bedtimes" when we are on vacation. When the kids were younger, they slept in the strollers. Now they can outlast me. My kids were always pretty easy "go with the flow" kids so we didn't have to go back for naps or ealy bed and often stay in the parks from opening to fireworks.
WantToGoNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 06:47 PM   #5
kohlby
DIS Veteran

As close as possible. My kids never napped at Disney, not at the resort nor in strollers. They will not sleep in either. Since we are planning our 5th trip that has a 2 or 3 year old in the mix, this is an issue! So, we make sure our kids go to bed at a reasonable hour. We do have exceptions. Anything goes the very last night. The night before our off-day, they'll likely be up to 8pm, which is staying up late for two of my kids. We pick just two nights to be up past bedtime, one a little later and then the last night anything can happen and we're fine with it.
kohlby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 06:55 PM   #6
ScotsMinnie
DIS Veteran

All bedtime rules go out the window for us. We are on holiday and if the children are happy then it's fine. They get back into their routine quick enough when we get home.
ScotsMinnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 07:38 PM   #7
Maggie'sMom
DIS Veteran

We stick very close to normal bedtime, except for our last night there. That night we stay up late so we can see Wishes.
Maggie'sMom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 08:08 PM   #8
KristiKat
DIS Veteran

Ours don't have a specific bed time on vacation. We just base it on how they are behaving, what we have planned the next day, or how tired we parents are.

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

Me DH DSS13 DD8

1982 offsite,1987 The Disney Inn,1991 Caribbean Beach Resort,1997 Fort Wilderness,2011 & 2013 Port Orleans Riverside,2012 & 2014 Shades of Green
KristiKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 08:11 PM   #9
Princess on the Run
Sprinkling Pixie Dust!!!

We stay pretty close to our usual times for sleeping and eating. It's no vacation for me if my kids are crabby and difficult.

Princess on the Run is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 08:18 PM   #10
*Seanaci*
DIS-obsessed and proud!

We try to stay normal...but most of the time it doesn't work out that way. My take on it is that it's vacation...and since we take our Disney vacation during Winter Break, we have a week or so to get DS back into his normal bed routine after we return so late nights are a moot issue for us.

Me(34), DH(43), DS(6), DM(56), DG(61)
*Seanaci* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 09:23 PM   #11
clemsongirl6490
Earning My Ears

I have a two year old and when in Disney there is no bedtime. He will nap in stroller or might go back to room if its a easy day but bedtime its when we get back or he will fall asleep in the stroller n just be carried to room.
clemsongirl6490 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 09:23 PM   #12
cel_disney
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by KristiKat
Ours don't have a specific bed time on vacation. We just base it on how they are behaving, what we have planned the next day, or how tired we parents are.

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards
This best describes us as well! We tend to make up sleep during our midday naps so that we can sty out at night! I also rent a huge double stroller still so that at 9 pm ( bedtime with a nap) if my oldest needs to sleep he can ( city elite double)....it's a family vacation and that means we try o make very one happy - which means some nights we stay late for parties or fire works! Staying at BLT has been great though because we can watch f ire works from the lounge in pjs!
cel_disney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 09:52 PM   #13
runsandjumps
DIS Veteran

Bedtimes go out the window when we are on vacation. The kids usually handle it pretty well, but if they were too cranky we would just pack up and go back to the hotel.
runsandjumps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 09:58 PM   #14
kam1011
Mouseketeer

When the kids were really little we stuck to strict bedtimes. Now that they're a little older (6, 4, and 4, not too old!) We usually stay out late every other night and go to bed on time the nights in between. One trip, we went in August and it was 105 everyday that week, but the parks were open super late, so we would sleep in til like 10-11am, then do the pool, and not even venture out to the parks until after dinner and stay out late. Our body clocks adjusted.

2000s:
5 off-site trips
All Star Music Family Suites
Beach Club
Wilderness Lodge Villas (x2)
Old Key West (x2)
Saratoga Springs
AKL - Kidani Village
Bay Lake Tower

I may have missed some...

kam1011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 10:52 PM   #15
Spunky946
DIS Veteran

Well our last trip was over Christmas 2011 and we did a bit of both. Dd 3 at the time was still napping so a couple of nights we stayed out late because we could because she took some super long naps.

A couple of nights we just could not face going back to the crowds of the parks, so we stayed at our hotel and went to bed close to bed times. A couple of times we stayted at the parks until 4 ish and then did not go back. Our kids were 7 and 3, so still kind of young and both early risers, so by 9:30-10 were ready to leave anyway.

Now we are going back January 19-27th and I have no idea what we are going to do. We are doing the deluxe dining and doing late breakfasts or lunches and signature dinners and dinner time. I suspect we will be doing some combination of breaks/naps and staying through because of the shorter hours. dd will be 4.5 and has stopped napping at home most of the time. It will depend on how early she is up, wether she will need a nap or not. Who knows, but we will probably do a couple of later nights, but most of the time close to regular bed times.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: