Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-19-2012, 11:02 PM   #1
novazx3
Earning My Ears

Ports to Skip Eastern Caribbean Fantasy Cruise

Hi,

I am sailing the Eastern Caribbean cruise on the Fantasy in September 2013. I was wondering which ports were a must see and which ones I could skip. We enjoy beach time, but love the ship too!! The shore excursions are pricey, I want to make sure if I do leave the ship it's worth it. I sailed the Pacific Coast Cruise recently and I could have did without all the ports really.
novazx3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 11:08 PM   #2
EPCOTatNight
I am the Polynesian Parking guy and the Original DISard of Oz.

None. It's your first time going to these places. YOU need to see if you will like them or not.
(8/2006 ASMo) (8/2007 Pop) (5/2009 3 night Wonder) (12/2009 ASM/Pop) (1/2011 Pop) (1/2012 CSR/WL) (1/2013 ASMo/4 night Dream) (5/2013 6 night Magic*Galveston*) (12/2013 7 night Fantasy) (3/2014 SSR) (8/2014 BLT/AKV) (1/2015 7 night Magic)

EPCOTatNight is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-20-2012, 05:11 AM   #3
shburks
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by novazx3
Hi,

I am sailing the Eastern Caribbean cruise on the Fantasy in September 2013. I was wondering which ports were a must see and which ones I could skip. We enjoy beach time, but love the ship too!! The shore excursions are pricey, I want to make sure if I do leave the ship it's worth it. I sailed the Pacific Coast Cruise recently and I could have did without all the ports really.
We did eastern in August and opted to get off in both ports for the reason the pp mentioned. Loved St John but found St Maarten to be really lacking. I'm glad we did something there though to make our own decision.

DCL: Wonder: October 2015 * Magic: January 2014 * Fantasy: October 2013 * Dream: January 2013 * Fantasy: August 2012
WDW: Beach Club Apr 2014 * Coronado Springs Oct 2013 * Boardwalk Sept 2013 * Animal Kingdom Lodge July 2013 * PO French Quarter (Jan 2013, Apr 2014) * Pop Century (Aug 2012, Dec 2009) * Wilderness Lodge (Sept, 2013, Oct 2011, Sept 2010), ASMo Dec 2003, off property: 1990, 1988, 1985
Disney's Vero Beach Resort: July 2013
shburks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 05:27 AM   #4
sambycat
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by EPCOTatNight View Post
None. It's your first time going to these places. YOU need to see if you will like them or not.
Agreed!

sambycat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 09:19 AM   #5
sissy_ib
DIS Veteran

You don't have to do an expensive shore excursion. You can go to the beach and do other things on your own.
Old 11-20-2012, 09:39 AM   #6
luv2sleep
DIS Veteran

If I hadn't been somewhere I wouldn't skip it. Most of DCL's beach type excursions are fairly inexpensive I've found.
Old 11-20-2012, 05:27 PM   #7
lunsusie
DIS Veteran

I would not skip either St Maarten or St Thomas/St John; all are beautiful islands with much to offer.
Old 11-20-2012, 05:42 PM   #8
Lollipop's Mom
Special trip with your little one ~~ PRICELESS!

Just get off the boat and walk around - grab a cab and go to a beach! You can do a port on zero $$ if you really want to! We rarely use ship excursions.

Sept 2015 - Disney Wonder Hawaii
Sept 2014 - Caribbean Beach Resort
Dec 2013 - Disneyland
May 2013 -Disney Fantasy Western Caribbean
March 2013 -AKL Jambo Studio & AKL Jambo Concierge, & POR Princess Room
March 2012 -Disney Wonder Mexico
March 2012 - Disneyland
May 2011 - Disney Wonder Alaska
Apr 2010 - Disneyland
Jan 2010 -Disneyland
Jan 2009 - Disney Magic Western Caribbean
Jan 2009 - POFQ
Jan 2008 - POP
April 2007 - Disneyland
Sept 2000 - Disneyland
Jan 2000 -BWV Studio
Sept 1994 - All Star Sports
April 1977 -Contemporary

Lollipop's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 06:14 PM   #9
kcashner
DIS Veteran

You can spend nothing, nearly nothing, or a ton of money on excursions. Each of the islands has a lot of the same/similar shopping and tourist trap qualities, but each also has beautiful and unique things. Others said that St. Maarten was "lacking," but it has at least one unique shop and some gorgeous beaches. St. John is beautiful. St. Thomas is easy to do on your own (well, so is St. Maarten.) You have to decide what works for you.
kcashner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 02:06 AM   #10
shburks
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcashner
You can spend nothing, nearly nothing, or a ton of money on excursions. Each of the islands has a lot of the same/similar shopping and tourist trap qualities, but each also has beautiful and unique things. Others said that St. Maarten was "lacking," but it has at least one unique shop and some gorgeous beaches. St. John is beautiful. St. Thomas is easy to do on your own (well, so is St. Maarten.) You have to decide what works for you.
I agree. Since I said "lacking," I'll expand... It just wasn't for us! We had my elderly inlaws with us, none of us are beach people (except somewhere like CC or resort beaches with free chairs, safe, easy bathroom access, etc) and we found the French side of the island really sad and closed up. If we went back, we'd probably stay on the ship. We did have yummy macaroons in Marigot!

DCL: Wonder: October 2015 * Magic: January 2014 * Fantasy: October 2013 * Dream: January 2013 * Fantasy: August 2012
WDW: Beach Club Apr 2014 * Coronado Springs Oct 2013 * Boardwalk Sept 2013 * Animal Kingdom Lodge July 2013 * PO French Quarter (Jan 2013, Apr 2014) * Pop Century (Aug 2012, Dec 2009) * Wilderness Lodge (Sept, 2013, Oct 2011, Sept 2010), ASMo Dec 2003, off property: 1990, 1988, 1985
Disney's Vero Beach Resort: July 2013
shburks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 06:52 AM   #11
keishashadow
Proud Redhead
When you gotta go, you gotta go ... it's a girl thing
Hmmm, I lust
I TOLD YOU SO!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shburks View Post
I agree. Since I said "lacking," I'll expand... It just wasn't for us! We had my elderly inlaws with us, none of us are beach people (except somewhere like CC or resort beaches with free chairs, safe, easy bathroom access, etc) and we found the French side of the island really sad and closed up. If we went back, we'd probably stay on the ship. We did have yummy macaroons in Marigot!
St Maarten is one of our fav ports

Sarafina's in Marigot has amazing pastries and oh-so friendly!

Maho beach is another fav for us for a stop before heading back to the ship, can't get over the planes overhead

keishashadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 11:00 AM   #12
dvcdisney
DIS Veteran

We got off the ship at both St. Maarten and St. Thomas...it was our first time there. I wouldn't mind shopping around the complex at the St. Thomas port again, but we have decided as a family not to leave the ship at St. Maarten. It's just our opinion, but we found the shops/streets chaotic.

But my biggest issue at St. Maarten is the solicitors when leave the boat shuttle (sorry can't remember what it's called) and they swarm you. They were very aggressive and I was asked too many times if I want my daughter's hair braided.

And my family, especially my daughter was quite overwhelmed and frightened by the aggressiveness. However, there was one lady who approached us with a sweet smile and asked and if I was going to get it done, I would definitely go with her. She was not at all intimidating. I know it's what they need to do, but if you're not used to it then it becomes very overwhelming.

To be honest, I was thinking of not getting of at St. Thomas for fear of the same thing. But I was glad we got off since it was a far better experience. We actually did some shopping. Unlike St. Maarten where we literally just ran back to the ship.
dvcdisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 03:50 PM   #13
3Mickeys
Mouseketeer

I have to agree... you have to get off in a new place! I was a little horrified after speaking with cruisers who said they just didn't get off the ship. We teach our kids there are so many wonderful places in the world, and no, they aren't all clean and pretty like Disneyland. Many are poor. Many are dirty. And the people who live there are still people, with families, and they need a job to feed their family. That's how we explained the "aggressive" vendors.

We have never done a paid excursion, and have enjoyed wonderful days in Key West, St Thomas, St Maarten and Nassau. Our Nassau day was a little rainy and our teen wanted to stay on the ship. He got an earful about not taking opportunities to see new places.

The only time I would not get off the ship is if I have done a port at least once, but likely more. I love the idea as cruising as the vacation, but also realize it is transportation to wonderful new places to see.
3Mickeys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 08:23 PM   #14
disney1990
Wow, it make my heart skip a beat
I'm going to miss these when the season ends
Lighting the Way to Paradise

St. Thomas was far too beautiful to stay on the ship.

disney1990 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: