Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-08-2012, 09:28 AM   #1
rosermama
DIS Veteran

It was a wonderful trip even though the first 2 sea days were really rough and my daughter got sick. But overall it was a great trip here are my thoughts:

1) the Christmas decorations were great we did the gingerbread house decorating which you have to prebook at guest services.

2) San Juan is amazing I only hope DCL continues to go there when the rest of 2014 comes out.

3) Remys was nice but we didn't eat all of our candy and didn't get all of it in our package it was very disappointing. Also I told them we were celebrating my husbands birthday and they said sure they would do something they did nothing not even the little plate with the chocolate. I was very disappointed after spending $200 I felt like I got better service at Palos.

4) Palos our server was Nikola ( I don't know how to spell his name but he was from Serbia or Croatia can't remember) but he was the best so caring and great service. Ceclia at the podium was wonderful she was so helpful in getting us the table we wanted. We had brunch there and my husband ordered the chicken parm the best ever and the veal saltimboca was also wonderful and I highly suggest it.

5) My husband has allergies and the wait staff at DCL were nothing short of spectacular in making sure he was ok. I heard a couple people in our section had allergies. We had Depesh as our Head Server, Yadi as our waiter and Ronaldo as our asst server.

6) finally I say visit Diego at the Bon Voyage bar and get a caprinihi his was the best I ever drank. Also he is great and will make you something to meet how you are Feeling.

I stopped at the grocery store in Florida before getting on the ship and bought a ton of little candy (chocolates and hard candy) and some gum and cookies. I made little gift bags for the wait staff, host, guest services and a couple extra for those who made our time super magical. These were on top of the money we tipped. It appeared they were thankful to get these as additional little gifts. We gave a little gift bag with a $2 bill in it to Oriel who was working lunch at Cabanas and then everyone wanted to be his friend.

We brought one bottle of wine too many with us so we included that in our servers gift bag cause we didn't want to bring it home. And we had 2 beers left over so we put those into the stateroom hosts bag. They work hard to make it magical for everyone its nice to give them something special for their day.

Last edited by rosermama; 12-08-2012 at 09:57 AM.
rosermama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 10:17 AM   #2
3riverscruiser
We will be "training" for the next 3 months
The Dutchman will remain at CC until Davey Jones reclaims it

St. Thomas

Sounds like you had a great time. We are boarding next week and were wondering if you were at anchorage at St. Thomas and tendered or if you were tied to the pier at Havensight. Thanks.
3riverscruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-08-2012, 10:40 AM   #3
firsttimemom
DIS Veteran

We had the same Palo server- he was very nice. He had spent some time on the Wonder and was telling us about the Alaska cruises.
2006 (CCI) 2008 (RI)

DCL
Wonder: 5/23/04 ~ Magic: 1/22/05 ~ Wonder: 5/10/09 (PCC 1.0) ~ Wonder: 12/12/10 (PCC 2.0) ~ Dream: 4/17/11 ~ Magic Canadian: 6/17/12 ~ Fantasyturkeyfest 11/17/12 ~ Fantasy 4/12/14

firsttimemom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 10:46 AM   #4
rosermama
DIS Veteran

We docked at Havensight but one of the boats behind us had to tender. We got stuck there till 8 pm because the boat behind us had issues and couldn't leave so we couldn't leave till they did.
Old 12-08-2012, 10:58 AM   #5
rosermama
DIS Veteran

In case you are thinking of going to St John on your own its $10 a person oneway from Havensight to Red Hook, the ferry is $6 per person oneway, & to Cinnamon Bay its $7 per person. So double that for round trip
Old 12-08-2012, 11:13 AM   #6
Silverfox97
PLATINUM Castaway Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosermama
In case you are thinking of going to St John on your own its $10 a person oneway from Havensight to Red Hook, the ferry is $6 per person oneway, & to Cinnamon Bay its $7 per person. So double that for round trip
Wow! That is a lot. Hmmmmm.....,It would be ~$140 for us plus tips!

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

2016 Wonder Jan Southern ~ 2015 Magic June 11n Norway/Iceland; Dream Oct 4n ~ 2014 Fantasy Mar Eastern; Magic Oct Southern/B2B repo ~ 2013 Fantasy Mar Eastern; Dream Oct 4n; Oct Magic B2B ~
2012 Feb Dream & Fantasy x2 June Eastern, Dec Western ~ 2011 Magic x2 Jan 5n DD, Oct Western ~ 2010 Wonder Aug 5n DD ~ 2005 Fairytale Wedding @ GF Wedding Pavilion & 3n Wonder
Silverfox97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 11:31 AM   #7
jennab05
Mouseketeer

We had Depesh as well on our November 10 fantasy. Nice guy!!
Old 12-08-2012, 11:42 AM   #8
3riverscruiser

Thanks for the info!!

and the quick reply. We have four ships scheduled at WICO just like you had, so if you were tied up, so should we (I hope).

I have a water taxi scheduled to take us to St. John. A little more expensive than the taxi/ferry you did, but cheaper than the Disney excursions and my time is my own on the island. If I get ashore at 8:00-ish I should be at the Cruz Bay ferry dock before 9:00. I get really nervous taking public taxis and ferries when I have a time certain to get back to the ship. Instead of enjoying the time on STJ, I would otherwise be stressing over time.

A problem you sometimes run into with the public taxis at Red Hook is they sometimes won't leave until they are full and they will drop people off at their convenience. What should take a 20 minute trip (without traffic) sometimes can be an hour. I met a guy going from the airport to Red Hook who missed his flight because of that! I don't want to miss the boat!!!

I assume you were at Cinnamon. Were the waves rough? We are planning on hitting Caneel, Honeymoon and maybe Salomon. The northern swells tend to appear this time of year and the wave action on the North Shore beaches can get pretty rough. Of course, Cinnamon always has more wave action that the others.
Old 12-08-2012, 12:49 PM   #9
rosermama
DIS Veteran

The waves were fine at Cinnamon Bay a little heavier then I planned but good. I think Loch Ness is much nicer but there isn't always a taxi there.

We went jet skiing at thwarting Westin in STJ and really like that but it was really choppy there out in the ocean area they take you.

I know what you mean about the taxis at Red Hook what a pain in the butt and they aren't the nicest. There is a ferry to Charlotte Ample at 3:45 which gets you in between 4:30 & 4:45 but then you still have to taxi or walk to the ship. I didn't want to be late so we came on the 2 pm ferry and then did a little shopping at Havensight. Its a lot like shopping in Nassau.

Also there is a great Coach outlet in San Juan.

I believe at Havensight its first come first serve for dock space but Disney was the first of all the ships by a long time to pull into port. Also we were able to leave the ship at 7:30 so we did make the 8am ferry but we were the very first people off the ship cause we were hanging out at the gangway something DCL. Doesn't really like you to do especially at Castaway Cay for safety reasons.
Old 12-08-2012, 12:54 PM   #10
firsttimemom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosermama View Post
We docked at Havensight but one of the boats behind us had to tender. We got stuck there till 8 pm because the boat behind us had issues and couldn't leave so we couldn't leave till they did.
we had the same problem in St. Thomas on the 11/17 cruise. wonder if this is a common occurrence?
2006 (CCI) 2008 (RI)

DCL
Wonder: 5/23/04 ~ Magic: 1/22/05 ~ Wonder: 5/10/09 (PCC 1.0) ~ Wonder: 12/12/10 (PCC 2.0) ~ Dream: 4/17/11 ~ Magic Canadian: 6/17/12 ~ Fantasyturkeyfest 11/17/12 ~ Fantasy 4/12/14

firsttimemom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 01:07 PM   #11
rosermama
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by firsttimemom

we had the same problem in St. Thomas on the 11/17 cruise. wonder if this is a common occurrence?
Probably they put those ships in so tight there is no room to get out
Old 12-08-2012, 01:10 PM   #12
3riverscruiser

Thanks for the info about the Coach Outlet in San Juan. May have to check that out. I agree that the Havensight shops are less than appetizing, as are most shops in Charlotte Amalie, IMHO. We prefer the shops on St. Martin more. We have never tried Yacht Haven Grande, which is right around the corner from Havensight, but we are hoping to have some time to check that out.
Old 12-08-2012, 01:19 PM   #13
OMD13
Mouseketeer

DH and I are on the Fantasy in March and wondering about excursions in San Juan. We were considering the tour of Old and New San Juan.
OMD13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 02:09 PM   #14
rosermama
DIS Veteran

We didn't do any excursions we just walked around both forts, took the trolley, ate lunch at el jimerto (not sure the spelling) walked around old san Juan and tlook it slow.

A couple of people I know did the airline and really liked it. There was another couple who we met at the pool who jutting walked off the ship and got one of the tour guides right outside the ship it was $20 a person and hey said he was really good took them to the capitol the forts and a couple other places.
Old 12-09-2012, 04:05 AM   #15
Rambler5678
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMD13 View Post
DH and I are on the Fantasy in March and wondering about excursions in San Juan. We were considering the tour of Old and New San Juan.
The excellent tour guide in San Juan was Carlos Medina.

https://customtourspr.com/About_Char...#About_Charlie

He has a custom van that is outfitted like a limo and he is very very personable and knowledgable. He has took all the pictures and sent them to us. We were two adults a 8 yr old girl and a 18 mo old child. He had a car seat from her. He provided drinks and light snacks and the fort fee. Total cost was $220 for a 4 hour old/new san juan tour with an addtional one hour stop for lunch that he didnt charge for. He picked us up and droped us off right in front of the ship.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: