Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > The DIS Unplugged Podcast
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-18-2012, 01:11 PM   #1
*NikkiBell*
The WDW Merchandise Walking Bible

DISboards Moderator

Food Truck Phenomenon

I was listening to the recent "snack foods" segment on the show today and heard the discussion about food trucks. I have to admit, when I hear the term "food truck," I automatically think of the trucks one would see at a local state fair or carnival. It wasn't until I spent time in California outside of Disneyland that I realized how big this phenomenon really is and have frequented a few over the past two summers.

The food is actually gourmet, not snackish or poorly made. This is really becoming a huge trend in different parts of the country. The best way to learn of the trucks and where they are is through social media - Facebook, Twitter, etc. Some areas even have special events where dozens of trucks line up so you can nosh from truck to truck. I've visited an event in Burbank twice where this is the case.

My favorite so far is the Grilled Cheese Truck:

This is the cheesy mac & rib melt. Mmm....

Smore melt with Nutella.

I visited the Lobsta Truck in August:

I think that the food truck trend is just starting to hit other states after Food Network's show last year. It's a pretty neat thing. Has anyone else had experiences with the trucks?

disboards.com/blog.wdwinfo.com
Follow Me on Twitter

2011 - GC, Swan 2010 - AKLV
2009 - AKLV, DxDP/OKW, DDP 2008 - SSR, PFTS, MNSSHP/AKLV, 1st DVC Trip, DxDP 2007 - PC, MNSSHP 2006-7 - POFQ, Premium DP 2006 - PC 2005 - POFQ, Premium DP 2004 - PC, Silver Plan 1998 - ASMu 1997-94 - Off-Site
*NikkiBell* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 02:42 PM   #2
sayhello
Have Camera, Will Travel

DISboards Moderator

Food trucks are really big in Columbus, also. There are tours of the Food trucks, Food truck festivals, etc. Quite the phenomenon.

Sayhello
sayhello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 02:58 PM   #3
wdwscout

DIS Veteran

I really haven't seen (or sought out) these trucks yet- although they do seem like fun!
I still think of what I see regularly- the street trucks in Philadelphia and NYC. Some of them have great food- but it's not the "gourmet" type that is all the rage these days. Just the corner trucks that have always been around- they are still there!

I did see they have Food Truck Fridays monthly in Celebration! More to look forward to!!!

wdwscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 05:53 PM   #4
Maria1985
Mouseketeer

Everything tastes great.
Old 11-18-2012, 07:00 PM   #5
mytripsandraces
DIS Veteran

Food trucks have been big in NYC for a few years now. My favorites are the Big Gay Ice Cream truck (Salty Pimp is my favorite) and Wafels & Dinges (liege waffle with speculoos spread is my favorite).
Old 11-18-2012, 07:13 PM   #6
roomthreeseventeen
Inaugural Dopey Challenge finisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by mytripsandraces View Post
Food trucks have been big in NYC for a few years now. My favorites are the Big Gay Ice Cream truck (Salty Pimp is my favorite) and Wafels & Dinges (liege waffle with speculoos spread is my favorite).
Wafels is one of my favorites, too!
AKL (marathon weekend) and ... AKL (Wine and Dine)
2013 Fort Wilderness 2014 Dopey Challenge AKL
2015 Dopey Challenge at POR!

roomthreeseventeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 07:35 PM   #7
OKW Lover

Yes, we love Old Key West
Connoisseur of the fine things in life, and has the time to enjoy them (Just ask his wife)

We saw a bunch of food trucks in DC this past summer when we visited the Smithsonian.

We also so some in Orlando when we did the Ferris' Funky Bunch walk around Lake Eola last month.
Old 11-19-2012, 03:43 AM   #8
lilmrsellis
Wishing upon a star...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mytripsandraces
Saw Wafels and Dinges on Throwdown with Bobby Flay about 3 years ago! Not sure why I felt the need to share, lol.

I live in a small town in WV, even though it is the second biggest in the state. We don't have a single food truck, but owning one has been my dream for 3 years now. Ever since the dirt episode of The Great Food Truck Race.
Old 11-19-2012, 03:44 AM   #9
lilmrsellis
Wishing upon a star...

First, not dirt, hahaha!
Old 11-20-2012, 02:03 PM   #10
LionKingRules84
Mouseketeer

Food trucks are becoming huge in Philly as well. There is one that stops a few blocks from me it's a brick oven pizza truck that makes, of course, brick oven pizza! I've been wanting to try it but they usually come around here for lunch twice a week and it's on days I don't have time for lunch. From what I hear it's the best pizza here and the truck is a sight to see. If I manage to get there at some point I'll take a photo.

There is also a desert truck that sells Creme brulee and macaroons I've been wanting to try.

There is also a cupcake truck that stops a block or two from where the pizza truck stops that I still need to try as well.

My biggest problem is the schedules these trucks have don't seem to meet with mine or I would have tried them by now.

CR 1986
CBR October 1991
CBR October 1994
CSR September 2007 13 years is much too long trip report!
DIS Unplugged Exclusive Knights and Lights ABD October 2012
Swan August 2013 & DIS Cruise 1.0 on RCCL Oasis
LionKingRules84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 08:49 PM   #11
christygobar
Mouseketeer

Here in Dallas as well. The city let them come in over a year ago and they've exploded. They don't come to my part of town frequently by my work, but we always keep an eye out on the schedule for the good ones. There's probably 20+ trucks around the city now. We have a good grilled cheese one and also one with brats and various sliders that are great!

We have a local magazine that constantly keeps up the weekly schedules online and almost all of the trucks have an active FB page too.

Offsite stays
- 1986, 1991, 1993, 1997, 2000, 2009
POFQ - Oct 2005, Sept 2006, April 2013
Saratoga Springs - Jan 2008
AKL Villas - Jambo - Oct 2011

Me (35); DH (38); DD1 (4) DD2 (1)
christygobar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 03:46 AM   #12
SA mom
DIS Veteran

Food Trucks are gaining in popularity in San Antonio, also. We have several places set up for the trucks to gather downtown. It was sort of a controversy at first because they city had done so much work to clean up the downtown area of the trashy, not-so-clean food carts and unlicensed food vendors. The city set up places for the trucks to park and added some picnic tables.

One outlying town set up a similar food truck "park" that has become the place to be on Friday and Saturday nights. You can even buy beer there.

Food trucks also park near all the colleges and universities. There is one called Winner Winner Chicken Dinner that serves some amazing fried breast recipes and a fried quacamole. Yum!
SA mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 09:05 AM   #13
FireDancer
DIS Veteran

We have a pretty good food truck scene in Cleveland too. I think a lot of people would be surprised at the restaurant scene in general here. We have neighborhoods that can keep their own with any city in the country. There has been a real push for small, locally owned restaurants here over the last decade that replaced the chain-restaurant mentality that used to be rampant.

One of the benefits of the trucks is being able to get real food at temporary events like fundraisers or street fairs where in the past you'd only be able to get the standard, deep-fried crap and hotdogs.
FireDancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 09:48 AM   #14
freesone
DIS Veteran

We had some cannolis from the Cape Cod Cannoli truck last Friday in Mashpee on Cape Cod. Best cannolis ever......

2012-11-23_13-53-49_461 by freestwo, on Flickr

Podcast Cruise 3.0, Podcast Cruise 5.0
WL-2010,2011,2012,2013
POFQ-2002,2004,2005,2006,2007,2008,2009, AKL 2003, Disney Wonder 2006
POLY-NOV 2007
Beach Club-2000,Yacht Club2001,
freesone is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
food trucks

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: