Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-20-2012, 11:59 AM   #16
DbleTheFun
DIS Veteran

In all the FE exchanges that I have participated in, the coordinator creates a list, It contains Cabin #, and names/ages/sex of the people in the cabin. Then all participants print out this list, and make/hand out treats based on this information. It's SO much fun to come back to your cabin to discover a little treat or two in your FE, and even more fun to slip some fun items into your fellow cruiser's FE's from your family.

I dont think there needs to be a long list of rules, but I do think that if you sign up to participate, you ensure that you follow through and contribute to all the cabins/people in your exchange. Whether that means something larger for the cabin to share, or smaller contributions based on age for each cabin member- just have fun with it and dont stress!
WDW April '04, WDW May '05, WDW Dec. '07, DCL Wonder May '08, WDW at SSR May '08, WDW at SSR Dec. '08, DLR at GCC Sept. '09, WDW at KVAK Dec. '09, WDW at SSR May '10, WDW at SSR Dec '10, DCL Wonder + 5 days at GCV April '11, WDW at SSR Dec. '11, May '12 at BLT. DCL Dream & SSR Dec '12. SSR/BLT & DCL Dream Dec '13.
DbleTheFun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 02:54 PM   #17
leigh38
Earning My Ears

gift question

Hi,

My family will be participating in the Fishextenders for the first time. It sounds like a lot of fun and we can't wait to start making our gifts. I just have a quick question. Do I make 1 gift per family or 1 for each member of the family. I want to make sure I do this correctly! I can't wait to get started!

Leigh
leigh38 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-28-2013, 02:56 PM   #18
PrincessShmoo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by leigh38 View Post
Hi,

My family will be participating in the Fishextenders for the first time. It sounds like a lot of fun and we can't wait to start making our gifts. I just have a quick question. Do I make 1 gift per family or 1 for each member of the family. I want to make sure I do this correctly! I can't wait to get started!

Leigh
That needs to be asked on your meet/FE thread. Each group sets its own "rules".

Some people do one gift per room. Others do one for adults/one for kids in each room. Others - one per person. Some even only do gifts for kids only.

All the FEs we've done, we could do as we wished.

13 Cruises, 8 ships, 124 nights
Panama Canal; Alaska; Med; WB Transatlantic; Mexican Riviera; Hawaii; Baja CA; Bahamas; Eastern/Western Caribbean

DL too numerous to count WDW 1974, 1983, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1997, 2001, 2008, 2014 Tokyo DL 1984
PrincessShmoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 03:08 PM   #19
mimmi
DIS Veteran

I'll be cruising on the Fantasy next Saturday () and we have two our three families/groups that are in two or more cabins.
I made one gift for the adults and one for each child.
Our list shows how the families are broken up, so if there is more than one cabin and the list shows more than two adults, I give one adult gift to each cabin. If there are, for example, 2 adults and five kids, I give one adult gift and 5 kids gifts, even though they are in two cabins.

I don't care if I give out more gifts than I get, we are a big group, so my daughter won't miss out on the fun and for me, the fun is making and giving gifts. If you are worried, just ask in your meet thread how the others are planning to do the exchange.
Old 01-28-2013, 03:56 PM   #20
nannylori
Mouseketeer

Okay,I'm jumping in with my two cents:
Last year, the Fantasy MV was my first time doing an FE and it was true trial by fire, as I had, I believe over 100 cabins. Having only 30 cabins on our 3/9 Fantasy trip is a true vacation! So last year,as overwhelming as it was, I did what I felt I could live with,what I wanted MY FE to be & it made me feel good about it and as many cabins as it was (& over two hours of deliveries),I still felt I did the right thing...

Two married adults shared postcards,magnets and a votive candle holder that I placed a Fantasy MV sticker on
Two Adults sharing a room, each adult received their own set of above gifts(which were all done thru Vistaprint)
Each child received their own set of gifts which were age appropriate,some acquired at a dollar store,Disney outlet, Homegoods,Ross Store,etc.

I did not give out candy. As for the childrens gifts, I found it easier to come up with ideas for the younger children. I thought the older children presented more of a challenge.
I don't like to waste money,so I wanted each gift for each child to be something they could/would like to use,such as Disney Coloring book w/crayons,or a few sand toys,or swim googles, or small magic kits,etc. They weren't extravagant gifts,just,hopefully, fun & useful.Hope this helped
nannylori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 04:02 PM   #21
stsomewhere
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustTJ View Post
The issue I ran into last year for our FE, was that some didn't pay attention to our situation. I was travelling with a Girlfriend and my youngest son. It started out as a "Mommy and Me" trip for myself and my youngest, but then I invited my friend along. We both signed up for the FE, She made her own FE gifts and I made my own to give out. We did, as far as I'm concerned, make it clear we were TWO separage families in one stateroom, giving out two separate gifts. Some people who gave to us, gave one gift per stateroom. It should have been one gift per family. So some items, we had to decide who would take it home, and the other would be without. And some of those gifts were very nice gifts. Don't know what else we could have done in that situation?
My mom and I traveled together in the same stateroom.
We both gave out our own FE.
I asked the organizer to list my mom and I seperately.
stsomewhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 12:50 AM   #22
mncooldad
Earning My Ears

great advice

Thanks everyone for sharing ideas. I am new to this so everybit helps.
mncooldad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 02:10 PM   #23
islandtimect
DIS Veteran

I would love to participate in my ship's FE group, but am worried that this could cost a lot of money. How much do folks generally spend? I'm not crafty, although DD 11 is really good at duct tape crafts.
islandtimect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 02:36 PM   #24
Meghatron
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by islandtimect
I would love to participate in my ship's FE group, but am worried that this could cost a lot of money. How much do folks generally spend? I'm not crafty, although DD 11 is really good at duct tape crafts.
It costs as much as you want/need it to cost. While yes, you will see a lot of amazing, almost over-the-top gifts, there's also a lot of little, inexpensive and/or handmade stuff as well. The one thing my DD still plays with from our last FE is a $.50 princess rubber ducky from Oriental Trading.

FE is supposed to be little surprises to make people smile. It should NOT be stressful and anyone making you feel that way is doing it wrong. We also don't put our name on our gifts. I believe the whole thing should be anonymous and was kind of weirded out the first time we got stuff that people had "signed". I think attaching names is what makes folks start getting into a competitive mindset, whether or not they realize it. And it's rarely malicious, but it has a definite effect on the new people, or those who aren't crafty/rich/willing to lug an entire extra suitcase full of stuff.
Meghatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 04:28 PM   #25
DebbieOBX
Mouseketeer

WOW I can't even think about so many people in a room. This is a good question. I am new to disney and doing my first FE. Traveling with another women, both over 60. I'm loving making gifts for everyone, as is my friend.BUT if a room had so many people it would be hard for me.. Perhaps there is a better way. We only took 20 rooms,and maybe rooms should be given by size. Maybe all the 2 people together.Like i said i love doing the little kids gifts, but i can sympathize with the OP. Like i said this is all new to me, and what does bother me, is someone posted that the max amount of money they spend is 77cents per person. I'm clueless on what you can get for 77 cents. I will enjoy every gift, and enjoy the cruise no matter what happens.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daisy'sMama View Post
Ok, I am just trying to figure out how this works. We are sailing in Feb with a smaller FE group. However, one of our families has 11 people and one has 16. Does that mean I need to make/bring 27 gifts, but my daughter will only get two? Is it per person or per family or per stateroom? How do I broach this with our group without sounding selfish? I just want it to balanced.
thanks
Stephanie
DebbieOBX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 04:59 PM   #26
neg58
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DebbieOBX View Post
WOW I can't even think about so many people in a room. This is a good question. I am new to disney and doing my first FE. Traveling with another women, both over 60. I'm loving making gifts for everyone, as is my friend.BUT if a room had so many people it would be hard for me.. Perhaps there is a better way. We only took 20 rooms,and maybe rooms should be given by size. Maybe all the 2 people together.Like i said i love doing the little kids gifts, but i can sympathize with the OP. Like i said this is all new to me, and what does bother me, is someone posted that the max amount of money they spend is 77cents per person. I'm clueless on what you can get for 77 cents. I will enjoy every gift, and enjoy the cruise no matter what happens.
Well, the 16 people AREN'T all in one room, probably in 4 or 5 rooms, and the original question was does the OP give 16 people each an item from the 3 people in her room and then will her one room (3 people) then only get ONE gift from the group of 16. It's hard to know what they will do, but I agree that at the minumum, it should be 1 gift from each room to another room. But if the 16 people list themselves as ONE unit, then that unit would be 'entitled' to one exchange. Unless you ask on your 'meets' page, you won't know how they want to handle it.

I think most people tend to give one item to another room, or one item to each person in the room. I read a trip report where it was set up that every person in EACH room gave every other PERSON a gift, so even though there were only 11 cabins, it came out to about 60 items for her small family of 3 to give. Crazy, and no longer fun (for me) at that point.

I don't like rules. I'll swap what I want to swap and I'm not going to compare item to item. Some people love to give gifts every day, and good for them. I've participated in 2 FE's, and only one person seemed to go crazy with multiple items given almost every day. I really enjoyed it, and I hope he enjoyed giving the items, because he didn't get back nearly the number he delivered.

Nancy
neg58 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: