Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando airport transportation questions and share tips.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Transportation
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-29-2012, 03:14 PM   #1
Dis_Dreamin
Mouseketeer

DME and carryon bags

I've got a short trip planned and my wife and I think we can pack our stuff in carry-on bags only. My concern is if we get to the gate and they are 100% capacity and we have to gate check our bags. If we put the Yellow ME tags on our carry-ons (just in case), and are wearing our park clothes when we board, would ME pick up anything gate checked as well, or are gate checked bags separated from all the other bags?

I know I can just run down to the luggage carrousel and grab them on the way to the DME buses, but it sure would be nice, if we had to gate check, to not have to grab them and have the bags delivered to our room .

Anyone have any experience with this? Not trying to scam the system, just trying to work out all the different scenarios in advance.
DIS Dad's Club Member #621 (since 2011)

June 2008 - Port Orleans French Quarter (First Trip)
May 2010 - Caribbean Beach Resort
June 2012 - Caribbean Beach Resort
April 2013 - Coronado Springs Resort (Mom and Dad only Anniversary trip!!)
October 2014 - Coronado Springs Resort
June 2015 - DISDads Dream Cruise

Last edited by Dis_Dreamin; 11-29-2012 at 03:20 PM.
Dis_Dreamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 03:31 PM   #2
ZoeBell
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dis_Dreamin
I've got a short trip planned and my wife and I think we can pack our stuff in carry-on bags only. My concern is if we get to the gate and they are 100% capacity and we have to gate check our bags. If we put the Yellow ME tags on our carry-ons (just in case), and are wearing our park clothes when we board, would ME pick up anything gate checked as well, or are gate checked bags separated from all the other bags?

I know I can just run down to the luggage carrousel and grab them on the way to the DME buses, but it sure would be nice, if we had to gate check, to not have to grab them and have the bags delivered to our room .

Anyone have any experience with this? Not trying to scam the system, just trying to work out all the different scenarios in advance.
Aren't the gate checked bags waiting for you as soon get off the plane? It's always been that way for me. I usually have to check a bag(damn hair products). But the few times I haven't and the gate checked the bag they taken it from me right before I stepped onto the plane and given it back to me as I got off the plane.
ZoeBell is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-29-2012, 03:37 PM   #3
GaSleepingBeautyFan
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZoeBell View Post
Aren't the gate checked bags waiting for you as soon get off the plane? It's always been that way for me. I usually have to check a bag(damn hair products). But the few times I haven't and the gate checked the bag they taken it from me right before I stepped onto the plane and given it back to me as I got off the plane.
The one time I had to gate check a bag in the Atlanta Airport it had to be picked up at the Baggage carousel just like any other bag that was normally checked.

I don't know the answer to OP's question but I wanted to let you know that I think different airports handle the gate check of bags different ways.

Connie

Doing a quick weekend trip to see the Osborne Lights in December - staying offsite this time.

WDW: 16 family trips, 9 solo trips - resorts stayed at: offisite(6) AoA, AKL(2), BWI, CR (2), WL (2), CBR, CSR, POFQ (3), POP (2), POR (6) ASMo, ASMu
DISNEYLAND: 1 family trip, 2 1 day trips chaperoning
US/IOA: 5 family trips
GaSleepingBeautyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 03:41 PM   #4
Dis_Dreamin
Mouseketeer

Quote:
I know they do that with strollers, but I've not heard of other gate checked bags being delivered in the concourse when deplaning. Perhaps GaSleepingBeautyFan is right about different procedures at different airports. I guess the main question should be amended with flying into Orlando International (MCO).

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaSleepingBeautyFan View Post
The one time I had to gate check a bag in the Atlanta Airport it had to be picked up at the Baggage carousel just like any other bag that was normally checked.

I don't know the answer to OP's question but I wanted to let you know that I think different airports handle the gate check of bags different ways.

Old 11-29-2012, 03:48 PM   #5
DebbieB
DVC Member BWV 99
You have to compare apples to apples

If it's a full size plane (not a regional), they typically send the bags to baggage claim. Lately they have been announcing at the gate if anyone wants to check carryon bags for free so that the overheads will not be full and people will be forced to gate check. I would confirm then if they will be sent to baggage claim. If yes, put the DME tag on.
Old 11-29-2012, 03:49 PM   #6
ZoeBell
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaSleepingBeautyFan

I think it would be up to the individual airline,no? United was the one who gate checked my bag on the concourse and brought all the gate checked bags back to the concourse when we landed.
Old 11-29-2012, 03:50 PM   #7
DebbieB
DVC Member BWV 99
You have to compare apples to apples

Quote:
I think it would be up to the individual airline,no? United was the one who gate checked my bag on the concourse and brought all the gate checked bags back to the concourse when we landed.
It also depends on the size of the plane.
Old 11-29-2012, 03:52 PM   #8
ZoeBell
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DebbieB
If it's a full size plane (not a regional), they typically send the bags to baggage claim. Lately they have been announcing at the gate if anyone wants to check carryon bags for free so that the overheads will not be full and people will be forced to gate check. I would confirm then if they will be sent to baggage claim. If yes, put the DME tag on.
That would explain it. I'm usually going Buf -> NYC area
Old 11-29-2012, 04:22 PM   #9
lost*in*cyberspace
DIS Veteran

Quote:
No, gate checked bags are delivered to baggage claim except when everyone has to gate check bags in the case of flying a small regional jet or propeller plane.
lost*in*cyberspace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 05:49 PM   #10
Dis_Dreamin
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lost*in*cyberspace View Post
No, gate checked bags are delivered to baggage claim except when everyone has to gate check bags in the case of flying a small regional jet or propeller plane.
We won't be flying a regional or turboprop. Airtran flies the Boeing 717 out of IND.

So, if gate checked bags end up at baggage claim, it would be a safe assumption that DME picks them up. I think we'll put the yellow tags on, just in case.

Old 11-29-2012, 08:42 PM   #11
Sandi
A proud Spartans fan!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dis_Dreamin View Post
We won't be flying a regional or turboprop. Airtran flies the Boeing 717 out of IND.

So, if gate checked bags end up at baggage claim, it would be a safe assumption that DME picks them up. I think we'll put the yellow tags on, just in case.
I wish we had done that for our trip last April. We were forced to check our carry on bags for our connection flight in Detroit. After we got on the plane, we discovered lots of room for checked bags in the cabin but weren't permitted to retrieve our bags. We had to go collect them from the baggage carousel in Orlando. This was on Delta. Our regular checked bags had the yellow tags and didn't get on the carousel, which was fine. The whole thing was irritating. Were I you, I'd bring the ME tags along, but not attach them to the bags until you are asked to check them (if you're asked to do so).

Sandi is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: