Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-23-2012, 05:06 PM   #1
jmcghee2024
DIS Veteran

50's Prime Time

How "bossy" (for lack of a better word) are the waitresses at 50's Prime Time in keeping with the theme of the restaurant. My husband loves the menu. But my daughter has a social anxiety disorder and is very sensitive. I worry about the waitress' "joking and orders" may upset her. She is 5, she wouldn't get the concept.
jmcghee2024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 05:48 PM   #2
NHTikiBeckie
DIS Veteran

I have had servers who were really into it and servers who were the opposite. Perhaps you could mention it when checking in so they can tone it down?

Disney World videos I made!

http://vimeo.com/7316001 (MGM & Animal Kingdom)

http://vimeo.com/7315073 (Epcot)

http://vimeo.com/7316111 (Magic Kingdom)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NjHXWMp1uhI (Christmas and Fun outside the parks)
NHTikiBeckie is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-23-2012, 06:08 PM   #3
FiggieFan
DIS Veteran

I agree with the above post. We love it but we have had both sides of the spectrum. First time they publicly embarrassed my mother in front of the entire restaurant for not finishing her plate - that was years ago and we thoroughly enjoyed it. In 2011, they just asked us to list movies for each letter of the alphabet and we got a little attention, nothing loud or obnoxious - it was very busy. In 2012, it was a normal meal, no schtick and the restaurant was virtually empty because of the time of year and the fact we went at 3:45pm for an early dinner. I agree that maybe if you said something in the beginning, they would take that into consideration. I have also heard they like to pick on the larger groups.

FiggieFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 06:47 PM   #4
Keegansmommy
Mouseketeer

We've been there several times and the only really time we had a waitress really into it was the first time. Every other time was kind of boring.

So much fun we're going AGAIN!

1985 - offsite 2004 - All Star Music (honeymoon)
1991 - offsite 2006 - All Star Sports
1998 - offsite 2008 - Pop Century
2009 - Pop Century
2010 - Pop Century
2011 - Port Orleans French Quarter
2012 - Port Orleans French Quarter
2013 - Leaving New Year's Day! Surprise Christmas present for our boys. - Port Orleans French Quarter
Keegansmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 08:10 PM   #5
chocovrdmicears
DIS Veteran

Our DS has autism and we knew he might not be able to handle or understand the over-the-top fun that may happen there - DH simply mentioned to our server our situation and she was perfect! She was still lots of fun, but very kind and sensitive to our DS.
Old 11-23-2012, 08:22 PM   #6
kathie859
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by chocovrdmicears View Post
Our DS has autism and we knew he might not be able to handle or understand the over-the-top fun that may happen there - DH simply mentioned to our server our situation and she was perfect! She was still lots of fun, but very kind and sensitive to our DS.
We had a very similar experience. Our DGS, age 4, has sensory overload issues. The server quickly realized his issue and had fun with us but was very aware that DGS needed to be approached calmly and quietly. She took the time to chat with us about his needs and made a seriously good suggestion on how to make his trip more pleasant.

Oh and the food is GOOD! I love the fried chicken and the greens
kathie859 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 11:11 PM   #7
MomRN
DIS Veteran

My ds has never had an official diagnosis, but he is also socially ackward. He takes people very literally. When we went (myself, dh, him, my step-daughter-18 and her friend-17) our waiter was very good. He seemed to be able to judge who and what he could get away with, which was picking on the girls big time.

He made one eat a bite of spinach and used his whistle to make a cho-cho train whistle... then sent them to the corner because of using their phones at the table (using the whistle again to make a nah-na-nah sound). It was hilarious for all around us, and the girls didn't mind because they were together. They said it was their favorite restaurant. My son wasn't bothered, but got a kick out of the girls getting in "trouble."

If you think she would get a kick out of you two being picked on, mention it to the server. However, if you think the experience would be better without the extra I'm sure the server would comply.
MomRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 09:29 AM   #8
mickeysbestfriend
DIS Veteran

We just ate there

two weeks ago and to us, a large part of the appeal if when the CM's interact with us. I have had the 'dunce' hat put on and made to stand in the corner and my wife has had to hold a spoon to the wall with her nose for instigating a spitball fight (paper wads). We love the interaction and are disappointed when we get a bland CM.

DVC owner-Old Key West
Stockholder
Annual pass holder
TIW member (hate the name)

http://distickers.com/ticker/tickers...wtac9ku7u8.png
mickeysbestfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 09:59 AM   #9
justakrazymom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHTikiBeckie View Post
I have had servers who were really into it and servers who were the opposite. Perhaps you could mention it when checking in so they can tone it down?
This... it def depends. The waiter we had this past Sept was very bossy to us adults but not as much to the kids. He even went as far as to put a fork full of food in my mouth..lol..it was hysterical.

homeschooling mom,Disney freak and more
DxL '99, CBR '00, Pop '11
BWI '12,POFQ '12 , PORS '13 ASSp 2015

The SuperFamily vs. Silverware , Felons and The Little Mermaid Sept 2013 TR Incomplete
justakrazymom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 04:33 PM   #10
forever-maria
Earning My Ears

Will they give you a hard time about requesting different sides besides what comes with the entree? Like requesting the side from another entree?
forever-maria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 05:46 PM   #11
thumbalyna
DIS Veteran

They didnt give my daughter any trouble she asked for two orders of mashed potatoes with her chicken instead of the greens.
Past Trips:1981 Off Site -1987 Off Site - 1996 AS Sports - 1997 Howard Johnson Enchanted Land - 1998 Celebrity Resorts - 2001 Westgate Towers and HRH - 2007 Sheraton Vistana and HRH - 2008 Parkway International and RPR - 2009 AS Sports - 2010 Westgate Vacation Villas
thumbalyna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 07:18 PM   #12
Marthasor
DIS Veteran

I went there in August with DS5 and our server did NOTHING! It was probably good, as my DS would not have reacted well to the hijinks, but I was kind of disappointed.
Marthasor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 11:37 PM   #13
Minerva Mouse
You miss 100% of the shots you don't take.
I no longer have eyebrows. I have bushes!

I love the 50's! I would recommend speaking with the hostess upon checkin, and ask for a quieter section. They do have some rooms off to the side, that typically seem to be less entertaining. I think your DD would be ok, but I don't know her like you do. Go with your gut mom!
Minerva Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 11:47 PM   #14
wdwtwins
"All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them." -Walt Disney

You definitely have to try the Peanut Butter and Jelly Shake! It is AMAZING! I thought it would be a terrible mix, but every time we go there I get one!

wdwtwins is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: