Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-17-2012, 09:32 PM   #1
NC State Tigger
'cause we all love State and I luv Tigger

Beer/Wine ?? to bring or not to bring??

Traveling in December with family, all adults except DGD. DS and DSil are beer drinkers, DH likes a glass of wine before or with dinner and DD and I enjoy an occasional mixed drink or glass of wine. 7 night Eastern.

I see posts about folks bringing adult beverages with them rather than purchasing from Disney. I know from past experience that the wine of choice for DH is about 3 times the $$$ purchasing it on the ship, but bringing it and then paying a $20 fee to have it with dinner makes me wonder if I want to bother with bringing it. The wine packages seem very pricey to me.

Now the boys and their beer is something I just can't decide what to suggest to them. What's the deal with beer on the ship? Do folks bring beer? Cans or glass bottles? 2 or 3 beers a day X 7 days X 2 "drinkers" They don't have beer everyday at home, but on "vacation" it wouldn't surprise me.

It is my understanding that the the coolers that Disney once permitted can no longer be brought on as carry on.

Suggestions please.
Old 11-17-2012, 09:55 PM   #2
morainechef
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC State Tigger
Traveling in December with family, all adults except DGD. DS and DSil are beer drinkers, DH likes a glass of wine before or with dinner and DD and I enjoy an occasional mixed drink or glass of wine. 7 night Eastern.

I see posts about folks bringing adult beverages with them rather than purchasing from Disney. I know from past experience that the wine of choice for DH is about 3 times the $$$ purchasing it on the ship, but bringing it and then paying a $20 fee to have it with dinner makes me wonder if I want to bother with bringing it. The wine packages seem very pricey to me.

Now the boys and their beer is something I just can't decide what to suggest to them. What's the deal with beer on the ship? Do folks bring beer? Cans or glass bottles? 2 or 3 beers a day X 7 days X 2 "drinkers" They don't have beer everyday at home, but on "vacation" it wouldn't surprise me.

It is my understanding that the the coolers that Disney once permitted can no longer be brought on as carry on.

Suggestions please.
We brought our own beer and wine. Although I found the 7 night wine package fairly reasonable. We brought four bottles in one carry on with swim suits and bottled water. We filled another carry on with canned beer. They have a deal on board for beer steins, it is $14 for the mug which you can keep at the end and it is $6 dollars to fill. When you empty it it just leave it with the bartender and he gives you a mug card so you can get a clean one again later. Some days I kept mug and filled it with my own beer for the day. I got ice delivered daily. A six pack and ice fit nicely in one of the washroom sinks.
morainechef is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-17-2012, 09:57 PM   #3
morainechef
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by morainechef

We brought our own beer and wine. Although I found the 7 night wine package fairly reasonable. We brought four bottles in one carry on with swim suits and bottled water. We filled another carry on with canned beer. They have a deal on board for beer steins, it is $14 for the mug which you can keep at the end and it is $6 dollars to fill. When you empty it it just leave it with the bartender and he gives you a mug card so you can get a clean one again later. Some days I kept mug and filled it with my own beer for the day. I got ice delivered daily. A six pack and ice fit nicely in one of the washroom sinks.
Also see my recent post " just back from Wonder Mexican Riviera". Hope this helps.
morainechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 06:46 AM   #4
Melissa S
DIS Veteran

We always bring our own alcohol because we are able to bring what we like and the drinks are much more expensive on board. Especially beer and wine, the markup is crazy! I will buy cocktails on board since there are multiple ingredients and mixers involved. The bartenders will give you anything you need (glasses, bottle openers, corkscrew, etc.) We tend to drink a little more on vacation so bring extra and I also bring all the receipts. That way if we have left over I can show that it wasn't purchased duty free. We like to sit on the veranda and have a drink while DD is sleeping, or have a drink before dinner with cheese and fruit from room service.

Regarding no coolers, we just bring the original cardboard packaging for the beer and then put it in the fridge once we get in the room. I have always put it in a soft tote bag (since you carry it on, not check it in) that way it folds up and you can put it in your luggage (or have it for souviners) rather than lugging something empty back with you at the end of the vacation. Since you are travelling with a large party you should be able to have someone with free hands to carry in the beer.

Magic October 27, 2013 (5 night Halloween on the High Seas)
Wonder March 2, 2013 (5 night)
Magic September 7, 2012 (5 night)
Magic June 2, 2012 (8 night)
Dream December 26, 2011 (3 night)
Melissa S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 07:00 AM   #5
sambycat
DIS Veteran

my opinion is that lugging it all on the ship, worrying about things breaking in oneís luggage and THEN having to go back to the cabin for a refill whenever or just flat out wanting something different then what i brought is totally not worth it at all! we do the wine package, usually bring a bottle from that back to the room and try different cocktails as we like. on the classic ships, it *might* work better but on the newer ships especially, with so many bars and areas, part of the vacation is having something different when we want. itís more expensive then carting our own, yes, but i figure itís the cost of doing business and not really so much more $$ then drinks at any restaurant or club.

sambycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 08:47 AM   #6
2CME911
Mouseketeer

As you can see NC a range of opinions on this topic. I can't tell from your post if you'll be flying or driving, it makes a big difference in terms of what is doable and what is more of a hassle. If flying, you have to pack the liquids carefully and place into your checked baggage, BUT you'll have to retrieve those bags at MCO and carry them on with you. DCL will not allow you to push those bags through to your stateroom directly. If arriving by car, much easier to deal with all that, just have one appropriately sized carry on per person with all the loot...see DCL website for size requirements.

I'm not a scientist, but I kind of look at the issue scientifically...if I'm going to be carrying on alcohol per the DCL policy, I'm going to make it worth my while in terms of alcohol content. Beer just doesn't have enough alcoholic density in my opinion to justify the large volume and weight that must be dealt with. DW and I buy the DCL beer mug and just pay as we go. A favorite wine or vodka...totally different story. We bring two or three bottles of wine and one bottle of something else...usually not rum since you can buy that at your first port. Each bottle is wrapped tightly with foam or bubble wrap, taped and put into large ziplock bags and placed into one carry-on size suitcase which is pulled off the carousel at MCO and carried on. Just don't put the DCL luggage tag on
anything you want to get yourself at baggage claim.

Good luck and have a great time!

BTW...GO DUKE! (PA '98)
Old 11-18-2012, 09:01 AM   #7
2CME911
Mouseketeer

NC State Tigger I was re-reading your post and I think you are underestimating the amount of beer the boys might consume:
Boys + Cruise + Beer > 2 or 3 beers per day for sure!
Old 11-18-2012, 09:13 AM   #8
biggdawg67
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC State Tigger View Post

Suggestions please.
I would recommend bring your canned beer (any thing but glass bottles for beer that is) with you. on one of our cruises we were on our table mates told us that they bought a cases of beer and it cost them $135.00. no deals for case price on board normal ship price per can plus tip per can....if you have an extra rolling suit case that can be used as a carry on load it up with what you all will be drinking....it can save you lots of money.....
DISNEY MAGIC-MAY 2009
DISNEY MAGIC-DEC 2009
DISNEY WONDER-JULY 2010
CARNIVAL DREAM-DEC 2011
DISNEY FANTASY-AUG 2012
DISNEY DREAM DEC 2012 ( 1ST BTB)
CARNIVAL BREEZE APRIL 2013
biggdawg67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 09:16 AM   #9
kathi
DIS Veteran

I would not bring beer onboard unless there was something really special that I wanted (favorite micro-brew or gluten-free beer). I would not haul beer onboard if I could buy something I liked onboard. Beer is just so bulky and I wouldn't want to deal with it.

What we bring onboard:

Lots of champagne. We like champagne. We drink mimosas for breakfast and lunch and have pre-dinner drinks in our room with a cheese plate. So for us, it is economical. We will probably bring 4 bottles for a 7-night cruise.

We will bring a few bottles of wine. This is because we like what we like. Disney has wine available that is not horribly expensive (you can get a drinkable cab for $25/$30 that would probably cost $12 in a store). I will bring a few $30 bottles on board. These are consumed during pre-dinner social hour in our room.

I enjoy single malt scotch and have favorite brands, so I will bring a bottle onboard. My husband loves Rumchata, so he brings a bottle of that. If there are any speciality liquors that you enjoy, that would also be something I would carry on. I would not bring anything that requires complicated mixers, it's just more work than it's worth, IMO.

Mixed drinks we buy on the ship and we get a bottle of wine with dinner in the dining room (We usually travel with 4 or 5 adults in our party). All liquor that we bring on board is only consumed in our cabins. If we are up on deck, we purchase the drinks from the bars or restaurants.

Honestly, for us, it's as much about convenience as saving money. We like to have drinks in our cabin and on our balcony and it's easier if we already have them. We still drop a lot of money on drinks and food in the speciality restaurants and bars - and we are OK with that. It's part of our vacation budget.
kathi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 09:21 AM   #10
KingRichard
DIS Veteran

Simple math!

1 case of beer. $20. On board about $120?

1 bottle scotch $39. On board $200 or more?

You can carry a beverage with you to dinner without a corking fee.

You can enjoy on deck in a plastic cup.

You can relax on your Veranda. PRICELESS!

I take canned beer and wrap glass(wine, champagne, scotch and rum) in our towels and place in a backpack.

GRAND SLAM COMPLETE! Feb. 11 Dream, April 12 Wonder(Hawaii), Feb. 13 Fantasy, Feb. 14 Magic, June 14 Wonder(Alaska)
KingRichard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 09:28 AM   #11
wiigirl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2CME911 View Post
NC State Tigger I was re-reading your post and I think you are underestimating the amount of beer the boys might consume:
Boys + Cruise + Beer > 2 or 3 beers per day for sure!
2 or 3 beers per day?? I can do that easy and I am a girl! :P
Old 11-18-2012, 09:35 AM   #12
Lorraine
Mouseketeer

We tend to do some and some. Take a couple of bottles of wine to drink in the room, maybe take a glass from an open bottle to dinner - no corkage that way - and then buy a bottle of wine in restaurants - if you dont finish it they will seal it and save it for the following evening. I would suggest you could do the same with beer. Also we always buy a couple of cocktails a day - I have read about people taking their own blender though!!

I think that Disney has the right idea with its policy for taking alcohol on board - we save some money by taking our own but are quite happy to buy some on board too - there is a good range of prices too for wine by the bottle.

Lorraine
DCL 14 Day CA to FL Relocation Cruise Aug 2005; DCL 14 Day WBTA 2007
NCL 12 Day Hawaiian Cruise April 2008; DCL 11 Day Mediterranean Cruise August 2010
DCL 14 Day WBTA Sept 2010; DCL 8 Day New York Cruise July 2012; DCL 14 Day WBTA 2014
Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 09:38 AM   #13
lorenni
DIS Veteran

I think the savings vary drastically depending on what you're used to spending, how much you normally drink, and whether you are already planning on non-DCL transportation to the port.

We're traveling with a small child and so our priority is to make our travel as easy as possible. For us that means checking everything we can, hopping on the DCL bus at MCO and saying hi to our bags later that day in our room. Collecting our bags, getting a rental, bringing the car seat to use with the rental/car service - all to stop at the store? Nope - not worth it. And I'm not willing to risk beer/wine/etc exploding in a checked suitcase and ruining the first few days of the trip.

Also, the prices on board aren't much different than what we're used to paying at bars. We may have a drink with dinner or at the pool but even without the tiny person we're not big drinkers so its just not worth crafting our travel plans around booze.
Old 11-18-2012, 09:57 AM   #14
pillow
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathi View Post
We will bring a few bottles of wine. This is because we like what we like. Disney has wine available that is not horribly expensive (you can get a drinkable cab for $25/$30 that would probably cost $12 in a store). I will bring a few $30 bottles on board. These are consumed during pre-dinner social hour in our room.
How do you open the bottle? Bring your own corkscrew? Or do you borrow from a bartender?

Jodie
pillow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 10:06 AM   #15
MAJPLO
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by pillow

How do you open the bottle? Bring your own corkscrew? Or do you borrow from a bartender?

Jodie
You can bring your own or you can ask your stateroom host for one which you will keep in your room for the duration of the cruise. Just don't forget to leave it behind when you pack up.

Disney Wonder Mexican Riviera March 2011
Oasis of the Seas Eastern Caribbean May 2013
Sapphire Princess California Coastal January 2014
MAJPLO is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: