Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-17-2012, 09:33 PM   #1
DisneyDreamer2325
Mouseketeer

First timer cruise review Oct 28-Nov 1 :)

I have been planning my cruise for over 2 years, and have read so many invaluable tips on disboards (shoe hanger, pillowcases,...), I'd like to add my own review to pay it forward.

This was our first Disney Cruise (me, DH, DS 5 and DD 3), 4 nights on the Dream. We booked on Day 1 and I can say Disney did not disappoint. It was a wonderful vacation.

Weather
We were very lucky, we missed hurricane Sandy by a day or two. The cruise right before us seems to have been a nightmare. The sea was very choppy during our cruise, but we were only bothered by it on our first night. The temperature was cool (lower 70s) and windy most of the time, but we still found plenty to do. We almost didnít make it to Castaway Cay (which had already been postponed by a day), it took 2 hours for the captain to dock. They told us that it took all the power of the ship to do so.

Stateroom
We had stateroom 5650. I had chosen it after reading other reviews and it was a great choice. The location was good, very quiet, the last one at the end of a corridor. The balcony was huge. Extended at the front like the other ones on deck 5, but also on the side. I would say it is about 6 times the size of a regular balcony. There is 2 regular chairs, 2 loungers and a table and there is still plenty of space left. I spent all my afternoons there while the kids were napping. We also loved the inside of the room, everything was convenient for families. The kids really enjoyed the bunk beds and the on demand Disney movies.

Food
I have several food allergies (nuts, some type of grains). They were very attentive to this. All the meals are cooked in a different kitchen. I would preorder the night before. They even had a special meal delivered for me at Castaway Cay. The head server also had some allergen free muffins made for me, so I could snack in the room.
We found that the food was good but not great, but we only ate at the buffets and main restaurants. The best thing we ate was the Pasta Purseittes at Animator's Plate. We really enjoyed the decor and atmosphere of the restaurants. The service was outstanding, the server would even cut the kidís food. One night my son didn't like his entree, so they changed it to a hamburger in only a few minutes.

Halloween
It was a lot of fun, but I guess I was expecting a bit more. They had to postpone Castaway Cay so it fell on Halloween, I don't know if that changed anything. There was no trick or treating, but there were some really nicely carved pumpkins and self-serve candy at the buffet and in front of Animators Palate (there might have been other places but we didn't see them). They also left bags with a few pieces of candy in our room. The main event for families was a costume parade for kids on the pool deck with the characters present. It was fun, but we found it a bit hectic. There was also a costume contest for adults that we didn't attend. There were several occasions to meet the characters in their Halloween costumes, which was really great.

Other highlights:
-THE CHARACTERS!!! This was our main activity, the kids never got enough, we met 21 different characters, many in several different costumes. We really enjoyed seeing them in Halloween costumes. Make sure to always bring you camera, there is a photographer only half of the time.
-Detective Agency was a lot of fun for my 5 year old son
-The shows: We saw Golden Mickeys and Believe, they were even better than I expected. My daughterís mouth was gaping open when it started to snow in the theater. Priceless...
-Just walking around the ship and taking in all the beautiful details
-I really enjoyed watching the others guests in their pirates and Halloween costumes. Some people went all out, we couldnít believe they would bring such costumes in their suitcases.
-The Wake Up with Disney Junior party was great. This is a must if you have young kids. They had so much fun dancing with the disco lights to their favorite songs. It got even better when Pluto showed up!

That's all I can think of. I hope this helps you plan your cruise.
DisneyDreamer2325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 11:31 PM   #2
CrawfordMomof2
Mouseketeer

Smile Thanks a bunch!

Thanks! We are planning our first cruise right now, and my kids are close to the same age as yours, so your review was priceless for us. We appreciate you taking the time to post.
CrawfordMomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: