Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland (California)
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-18-2012, 02:31 AM   #31
dadzgirl70
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by smarie82181 View Post
We love it! We ride it so much more often when the overlay is up. We like it so much more we are almost bored on that ride the rest of the year....but then again our family is really into nbc. Dh has a half sleeve tattoo with the all characters and we have a pretty big collection of merchandise from throughout the years so we may be a little partial
My hubby has a NBC half sleeve too!
Old 11-18-2012, 03:43 AM   #32
Mary Jo
Techarita
Loves the star on the mountain

DISboards Moderator

I enjoy both styles.

I'm not sure that Haunted Mansion Holiday would only work at Christmas. They would have to close it for the month of November to put in all of the holiday stuff. I kind of like it the way it is now.
Mary Jo is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-18-2012, 11:02 AM   #33
PinkBudgie
Expert Disneyland Snowball Maker
I've been wearing my LGMH for several years now

I'd like to know if the OP has ever seen the movie? I can see how it wouldn't make much sense if you haven't seen the movie. The point of HMH is really very clever. Jack thinks he's going to "improve" the ride and bring Christmas to it. Of course he doesn't really understand Christmas, which is why the decorations are so funny. He decorates the HM the same way he tried to do Christmas in the movie. My favorite is the wreath with teeth. If someone hasn't seen the movie or doesn't like the movie, they probably wouldn't like HMH. However, my family loves this movie and we like this overlay better than the orginal. I like having new details to look at.
Old 11-18-2012, 11:04 AM   #34
GeneralTso
DIS Veteran

We love love love it~~and actually prefer it!
We'll be there in a few weeks and I'm so excited to see it. I think they did a fantastic job. Guess I'm not looking too deeply into it, just really like it.
GeneralTso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 11:44 AM   #35
*Seanaci*
DIS-obsessed and proud!

Sounds like I need to watch the movie before we go...as it's been YEARS since I've seen it. And I really want to enjoy the HMH overlay...because I have heard amazing things about it.

Me(34), DH(43), DS(6), DM(56), DG(61)
*Seanaci* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 11:59 AM   #36
dlrmw
Earning My Ears

We love it and I don't even really care for the movie! LOL
dlrmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 12:58 PM   #37
cats mom
Mouseketeer

Has a wild and vivid imagination

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mel522 View Post
I personally love both. I just wish they wouldn't do the Holiday overlay for Halloween. I just don't understand the logic of taking down Haunted Mansion to create a Christmas themed ride for Halloween.

Obviously you're not alone as several people in this thread have agreed with you.

But I think if you're going to do a NBC overlay you have to include Halloween! How can you bring in The Pumpkin King of Halloween Town, who is the equivalent of the Easter Bunny or Santa Claus for his holiday - Halloween, and not do it until November? Now that doesn't make sense to me.
cats mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 01:41 PM   #38
AngieMouse86
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eeee-va View Post
But I also kind of wish it would actually come up for Christmas instead of Halloweentime. Ghosts are spooky and Halloween-y enough; I don't feel like there need to be nearly 4 months devoted to the Jack Skellington/Christmas-ish version.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mel522 View Post
I personally love both. I just wish they wouldn't do the Holiday overlay for Halloween. I just don't understand the logic of taking down Haunted Mansion to create a Christmas themed ride for Halloween.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisachrystine View Post
We went at Christmastime last year and the overlay was kind of fun and in the Christmas spirit. But, I went at Halloweentime this year and was really disappointed to not have the original HM. I knew what to expect and all, but was surpried to find myself missing the original -- it just seems so much more Halloween-ish. I, too, agree that it should be a Christmas overlay, but leave it alone for Halloween.
Well, considering Jack and his cohorts are from Halloween Town and travel to Christmas Town, I completely get it. The overlay works well for the whole holiday season (okay, it doesn't have to do with Thanksgiving specifically, but the holidays book-ending it, which really does make up the season).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary Jo View Post
I enjoy both styles.

I'm not sure that Haunted Mansion Holiday would only work at Christmas. They would have to close it for the month of November to put in all of the holiday stuff. I kind of like it the way it is now.
Exactly, then people would be very upset for it to be down during their holiday visits.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cats mom View Post
But I think if you're going to do a NBC overlay you have to include Halloween! How can you bring in The Pumpkin King of Halloween Town, who is the equivalent of the Easter Bunny or Santa Claus for his holiday - Halloween, and not do it until November? Now that doesn't make sense to me.

As for how I feel about the overlay, I've come to really enjoy it! I used to be indifferent, as NBC was a movie I neither liked nor disliked, but now it signals the start of the holidays to me. I find it very fun and a nice change from the regular HM.

Me - DBF -
AngieMouse86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 01:53 PM   #39
sheetz
DIS Veteran

HMH is something that grows on many because it's become another DLR tradition. Each year they set up a different gingerbread house inside so it's fun to go back each time to see what kind of changes have been put in place.
sheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 01:55 PM   #40
rentayenta

There's never enough vacation time
I'm always thinking about it
I can't imagine being in it alone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shellandscott View Post
We went to Disneyland in early Oct and the Haunted Mansion was already made over with Jack Skellington. We waited in a long line to get on the ride and then it was a mess, no storyline and it just looked like they threw Nightmare before Christmas decorations up over everything. Would love to get other opinions of the subject.

My family prefers HMH over the HM. We missed it this October during our trip to WDW.

You light 'em, they fight 'em. A DVC/Disneyland Resort PTR
http://disboards.com/showthread.php?...1#post51407145
You bet your aft we had a good time: a Disney Wonder trip report
http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3260751

rentayenta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 08:00 AM   #41
Pinocchio #1 Fan
Disney Premier Passholder, Believer in the power of Hakuna Matata!

What I dislike about the HMH is that the original Haunted Mansion is a classic Disneyland attraction. The one time of year it should really get to shine is at Halloween, and it gets cut off at the knees by an overlay. I can see the HM any time I want as an AP, but I'm always a bit sad when I go in October and see that it has all the Jack Skellington stuff added. I understand why they do it, but I'm never going to be happy about it.
Pinocchio #1 Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 11:39 AM   #42
HollyL
Mouseketeer

Personally, I love the NBC version. During non-holiday visits to DL, I don't mind skipping over HM, but if I'm there during the holiday period, it's a must do. The first time I went on it, I hadn't seen NBC, so of course I had to check it out afterwards.
We will be there next week. My son is 4, and I thought that if I got him the movie, he would be really excited for the ride, but now he's scared. Great.....I guess it will just be me and my 18 month old daughter who isn't afraid of anything!
HollyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 11:54 AM   #43
jetskigrl

Ignorance is definitely bliss sometimes!
Ok...lets shake things up a bit

Add us to the group of people that really enjoy HMH. I do understand why people prefer the original version though.

But I agree with those that say the decorations are supposed to be disorganized and over the top. That is what Jack did in the movie. He didn't know what he was doing and therefore everything seems wrong.

I also agree that it needs to be up starting at Halloween because the main point of the story is that this is what happens "when two holidays collide." They can't really collide in November because it would miss his holiday (Halloween) completely.
DCL: Wonder - January 2011, Dream - B2B April 2011, Wonder - April 2012 (MR), Wonder - Sept 2012 (Pixar Pacific Coast), Fantasy - June 2013 (Eastern), Wonder - May 2014 (Cruise to Nowhere), Wonder - August 2014 (Alaska)

Next Up:
jetskigrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 11:54 AM   #44
Girimama33
"I've disgraced the forces of evil."

When I first rode HM with the NBC overlay in 2004, I did not like it at all. The ride was not right without the grim grinning ghosts.
Our October trip was our first Halloweentime trip we have been on since then. I reluctantly rode HMH and loved it this time. Seems like they have added a lot since 2004. I find the NBC version a lot of fun now, and a nice change of pace. Still love the original too.
Old 11-19-2012, 12:33 PM   #45
Keurigirl
let's all sing like the birdies sing

I'm not a fan of the movie, but I thought seeing the haunted mansion totally different was awesome! It actually inspired me to try and watch the movie again (which I still don't like). But I'm excited to see the HM all decked out again in two weeks.
Disney Cruises: W. Caribbean 3/12, Alaska 8/12, W. Caribbean 4/13, Alaska 8/13, Transatlantic 5/14, Alaska 8/14 next trip: Alaska 8/15
Keurigirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: