Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland (California)
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-17-2012, 10:05 PM   #16
dadzgirl70
Mouseketeer

Love the overlay!!!! Our family prefers it over the regular HM. We thought the story was told very well throughout the ride from beginning to end. My DH could ride it over and over again
Old 11-17-2012, 10:07 PM   #17
Peace.love.mickey
DIS Veteran

It's GREAT!!! Love it...love the changes each year and love finding new things each time.

Truthfully, HM is always kinda thrown together, rooms full of scary stuff, but I am not sure I ever see a real "flow"

HA!
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-17-2012, 10:12 PM   #18
isisisme
Pomme Frites and Mint Julip? yes please!!

Actually the story is Jack has come to visit and redecorate..much like he tried to take over Christmas in the movie. And as such...it's a bit of a hodge podge.
Also, in season's pass there have been themes. One year was focused on Oogie Boogie and they added him in. There was even a game to find all the hidden Oogies.
One year they added Teddy in (hence why you see him everywhere).

:D I actually miss those little "extra" things (like when French Market had meals served in Zero dog bowls).
isisisme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 10:21 PM   #19
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

I went from the "huh?" feeling to actually preferring it over normal HM. All it took was about 10 viewings of NBC for me to finally understand the aesthetics of the film. Then another 10 times of having it on while I was around (DS and DH loves the movie) for me to start appreciating it in any form. And I still think it's kind of gross. (Burton grosses me out...I saw the Frankenweenie preview and nearly threw up while watching the stuff with the dog, just so incredibly gross)

But I quite like the overlay, and prefer it now to the regular version.

Especially b/c it's the ONLY way my son will go on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eeee-va View Post
But I also kind of wish it would actually come up for Christmas instead of Halloweentime.
It would make a lot more sense, given that the movie starts AFTER Halloween is done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skellinton View Post
I actually think the story is more cohesive than the regular DL HM. Don't everyone go crazy on me (and please remember this is my FAVORITE ride in both forms), but I don't think the regular HM has a very clear story. I have heard the CD a thousand times and know what the story of the HM is, but I am pretty sure I wouldn't just by riding it. I think the HMH has a much clearer story. Although, when we took my 88 year old Gramma on the HMH and her comment at the end was, "I didn't understand it, but I liked it!"
I like your Gramma. And I agree. I still don't understand HM, but a big part of that is b/c of my hearing (someday I'll get hearing aids and my life will be better). I like the singing guys, and that's pretty much all I remember fondly from the normal HM. Whereas I like a lot from HMH, because it's bright and somehow cheerful, and I love the snowy fluff in the graveyard.

DLR '05-'09 found within this link
DLR 7,9,12 2012 Universal Feb '12 DLR Dec '11 and Feb '12

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently working to maintain 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!
bumbershoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 10:27 PM   #20
Here4mydisneyfix
Andrew Sutton, you genious man, you! She will remember the Rose forever...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumbershoot View Post
I went from the "huh?" feeling to actually preferring it over normal HM. All it took was about 10 viewings of NBC for me to finally understand the aesthetics of the film. Then another 10 times of having it on while I was around (DS and DH loves the movie) for me to start appreciating it in any form. And I still think it's kind of gross. (Burton grosses me out...I saw the Frankenweenie preview and nearly threw up while watching the stuff with the dog, just so incredibly gross)
I'd have to agree with you on the Frankenweenie bit! Holy mother! We saw this in the theater and expected it to be so good....well the dog bits really grossed me out too, and as a whole, we left the theatre kinda confused and wondering why we spent so much money for our family of 5 to see that film. It was pretty floppish I think.
Here4mydisneyfix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 10:33 PM   #21
Mel522
DIS Veteran

I personally love both. I just wish they wouldn't do the Holiday overlay for Halloween. I just don't understand the logic of taking down Haunted Mansion to create a Christmas themed ride for Halloween.
Old 11-17-2012, 10:35 PM   #22
Nox54
I chase my vinyl dreams.

You definitely aren't alone in your opinion, though we like the overlay.
I haven't seen the Haunted Mansion in its true form since before 2001, as we always go to Disneyland for the holidays, and I do wax nostalgic/miss it.
BUT, we are big Nightmare Before Christmas fans, and so we look forward to this ride each year.
Old 11-17-2012, 10:45 PM   #23
PAGAS
Mouseketeer

We saw it for the first time in Holiday mode this September and I was surprised how many changes were made. We avoided it the first few days of the trip because of the crazy lines, but once we finally sucked it up and waited, it was worth it. The ride was totally different and enjoyable in a new way.
Disneyland March 2014 * Coronado Springs May 2014 * Port Orleans August 2014 * Disneyland October 2014
PAGAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 10:57 PM   #24
ShaunaM
DIS Veteran

It is disappointing when...

...things don't meet our expectations. I love HHM and love the original form too, both equally. Both are just such campy fun. But that said I loved the Nightmare before Christmas, I have been humming "this is Halloween" for weeks now.

But I hear you, for me that was Space mountain vs. Ghost galaxy....I LOVE space mountain, but really disliked Ghost galaxy, it was so disappointing as I was really looking forward to it.

Kind of like when you see a really decadent looking cookie on a Christmas cookie tray, only to bite in and ick...that is not yummy!
Disneyland , Seaworld & Legoland February 2010
Disneyland February 2011
Disneyland September / October 2012
Disneyland February 2014
ShaunaM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 11:05 PM   #25
lisachrystine
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eeee-va View Post
I also kind of wish it would actually come up for Christmas instead of Halloweentime. Ghosts are spooky and Halloween-y enough; I don't feel like there need to be nearly 4 months devoted to the Jack Skellington/Christmas-ish version.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mel522
I personally love both. I just wish they wouldn't do the Holiday overlay for Halloween. I just don't understand the logic of taking down Haunted Mansion to create a Christmas themed ride for Halloween.
I actually emailed Disney about this. Personally, I am not a fan of HMH (or Tim Burton movies in general), but I get that people really like it. We went at Christmastime last year and the overlay was kind of fun and in the Christmas spirit. But, I went at Halloweentime this year and was really disappointed to not have the original HM. I knew what to expect and all, but was surpried to find myself missing the original -- it just seems so much more Halloween-ish. I, too, agree that it should be a Christmas overlay, but leave it alone for Halloween.
lisachrystine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 11:26 PM   #26
PatMcDuck
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shellandscott View Post
We knew about the overlay. I guess we did not think it would be everything NBC, just some Jack here and there.

That is so funny to me, because having some Jack here and there would make absolutely no sense. It NEEDS to be all or nothing, IMHO. It is not like putting Jack Sparrow into the PoC ride, or the Disney characters on IASW.

I like it, even the outside is so well done. But if I HAD to choose, I would pick the original I suppose. I think guests that have not SEEN NBC have the most trouble with it. My kids loved NBC, and watched it often when they were young.
PatMcDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 11:33 PM   #27
DizMe
Here we gooooo...
It's amazing how that happens

Like bumbershoot, it took me quite a while to begin to appreciate it. I was very outspoken at first about how garish and ugly I thought it was, and I hated that I never got to see the original because the overlay stayed up so long it covered both seasons I go.

However, it did grow on me over time and now I enjoy it. I have to admit that it will never be my favorite but I now like the songs and some of the characters, and I love to see what the giant gingerbread is going to be each year.

I agree it would be much better if it was only up for the Christmas holidays. 4-5 months of HMH is too much.

DizHe and DizMe DizWees DizHe & Our 4 Princesses
DizMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 01:25 AM   #28
mysteriouspnai
DIS Veteran

Personally, I don't like scary things, so regular HM is out for me. Even when the people pop out from graves (yes, even with their Santa hats) it creeps me out. HMH for me all the way.
mysteriouspnai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 01:32 AM   #29
SIMJUN
Mouseketeer

I love Holiday Haunted M.ansion, I think they do an amazing job
SIMJUN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 01:56 AM   #30
smarie82181
Earning My Ears

We love it! We ride it so much more often when the overlay is up. We like it so much more we are almost bored on that ride the rest of the year....but then again our family is really into nbc. Dh has a half sleeve tattoo with the all characters and we have a pretty big collection of merchandise from throughout the years so we may be a little partial
smarie82181 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: