Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland (California)
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-17-2012, 06:41 PM   #1
Shellandscott
Earning My Ears

Holiday Haunted Mansion dissapointment

We went to Disneyland in early Oct and the Haunted Mansion was already made over with Jack Skellington. We waited in a long line to get on the ride and then it was a mess, no storyline and it just looked like they threw Nightmare before Christmas decorations up over everything. Would love to get other opinions of the subject.

Numerous trips from 1973-1992
January 1999 - POFQ, May 2000 - & February 2004 - Offsite, August 2004 - BCV, January 2005 - SSR, May 2005 Hawaii (II), January 2006 - VWL, July 2006 - OKW, January 2007 Vegas (II), October 2007 - BCV, January 2008 - GF, May 2008 - VWL, Sept 2009 - BCV, May 2010 - VGC, May 2011 - SSR & BLT , May 2012 - VB, October 2012 - VGC, May 2013- BCV & VB, Dec 2013- OKW, Jan 2014 - BLT & SSR

Dream May 2011
Shellandscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 07:10 PM   #2
cmwade77
DIS Veteran

I love Haunted Mansion Holiday personally.
cmwade77 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-17-2012, 07:12 PM   #3
sonnyjane
DIS Veteran

I'm sorry that you didn't enjoy it. I enjoy both versions of the ride, and it's clear that there are many people that do enjoy the holiday version, as is apparent by the increased lines during the overlay period.

If you'd like to avoid the overlay, you should know that "holiday" includes Halloweentime at Disneyland, not just Christmas. You seemed surprised that it was already up in early October, but it actually opens up as HMH in mid-September, so you should ride it in the spring or summer if you don't enjoy the holiday overlay.
sonnyjane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 07:14 PM   #4
kathie859
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shellandscott View Post
We went to Disneyland in early Oct and the Haunted Mansion was already made over with Jack Skellington. We waited in a long line to get on the ride and then it was a mess, no storyline and it just looked like they threw Nightmare before Christmas decorations up over everything. Would love to get other opinions of the subject.
I felt the same way last year. I was SOOO excited to go to DL when the HM had it's holiday makeover. What a garbled mess!!! Didn't fit in at all I'd always hoped WDW would do a holiday makeover but now I'm so glad they leave the HM alone!
kathie859 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 07:15 PM   #5
theluckyrabbit
DIS Veteran

HMH is one of our favorites. The colors, the in-jokes, the gingerbread house (!!). We think that Brian Sandahl and team have captured the spirit of NBC perfectly. We prefer HMH over the regular version and ride much more frequently during the holidays. Of course, we understand that everyone has their own taste and that no ride is going to please everyone.
theluckyrabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 07:25 PM   #6
kathie859
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by theluckyrabbit View Post
HMH is one of our favorites. The colors, the in-jokes, the gingerbread house (!!). We think that Brian Sandahl and team have captured the spirit of NBC perfectly. We prefer HMH over the regular version and ride much more frequently during the holidays. Of course, we understand that everyone has their own taste and that no ride is going to please everyone.
What's the spirit of NBC????
Old 11-17-2012, 07:28 PM   #7
Here4mydisneyfix
Andrew Sutton, you genious man, you! She will remember the Rose forever...

We thought that the hmh was wonderful!!! I am a fan of the original, my husband thinks it's a total bore....guys. Lol Well, after getting to ride in it with the overlay, the hubs loved it!! He said it is way better than the original...he is partial to jack skellington, so that may play in a lot in his liking of the ride. I have to say though, that with me, even being a huge fan of the original, i loved, loved, LOVED the hmh!! I am fairly certain i like it even more than the original myself!! I can see how it might not be everyone's cup o tea though. Luckily for the ones who don't enjoy it, it's not up all year.
Old 11-17-2012, 07:29 PM   #8
NewbieMouse
DIS Veteran

I also personally HATE the holiday overlay on HM, but I know a lot of others like it. We only go at Xmas now, but I look forward to one day seeing it the "old-fashioned" way again.
Christmas 2012 - BWPPI for 3 days
July 2013 - Disneyland Paris @ Sequoia Lodge Golden Forest
Christmas 2013 - BWPPI for 3 days
Christmas 2014 - BWPPI for 3 days (but as always, crossing our fingers for GC PIN code or deal!)
NewbieMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 07:35 PM   #9
coaches24
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathie859 View Post
What's the spirit of NBC????
nightmare before Christmas
Old 11-17-2012, 07:38 PM   #10
DisneyBiskit
Mouseketeer

Quote:
I'm curious as to what you expected? HMH seems to have a "love it" or "hate it" feeling associated with it.
DisneyBiskit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 07:50 PM   #11
kathie859
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by coaches24 View Post
nightmare before Christmas
Great....another accronym for me to remember
Old 11-17-2012, 07:51 PM   #12
Shellandscott
Earning My Ears

We knew about the overlay. Going in were not expecting anything just rode the ride. I guess we did not think it would be everything NBC, just some Jack here and there. I also thought it had no rhyme or reason to it. The Madame Leota room was the only thing that had any sense of cohesiveness to it. I understand that some will love it and some will hate it. We would be in the hate column. That is why I wanted to get others to chime in.

Numerous trips from 1973-1992
January 1999 - POFQ, May 2000 - & February 2004 - Offsite, August 2004 - BCV, January 2005 - SSR, May 2005 Hawaii (II), January 2006 - VWL, July 2006 - OKW, January 2007 Vegas (II), October 2007 - BCV, January 2008 - GF, May 2008 - VWL, Sept 2009 - BCV, May 2010 - VGC, May 2011 - SSR & BLT , May 2012 - VB, October 2012 - VGC, May 2013- BCV & VB, Dec 2013- OKW, Jan 2014 - BLT & SSR

Dream May 2011
Shellandscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 08:30 PM   #13
Eeee-va
Happiest robot on Earth

I really enjoy Haunted Mansion Holiday and prefer it to the regular mansion. (Maybe that's the gingerbread talking.) But I also kind of wish it would actually come up for Christmas instead of Halloweentime. Ghosts are spooky and Halloween-y enough; I don't feel like there need to be nearly 4 months devoted to the Jack Skellington/Christmas-ish version. And even as someone who likes it, the fact that I've seen it more often as Nightmare Before Christmas than regular version makes it less special.
Eeee-va is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 08:55 PM   #14
skellinton
Mouseketeer

Well, the HM in all it's forms is my very favorite ride at DL, so I think you are wrong. JK, everyone is entitiled to their opinion, but I personally love it. I actually think the story is more cohesive than the regular DL HM. Don't everyone go crazy on me (and please remember this is my FAVORITE ride in both forms), but I don't think the regular HM has a very clear story. I have heard the CD a thousand times and know what the story of the HM is, but I am pretty sure I wouldn't just by riding it. I think the HMH has a much clearer story. Although, when we took my 88 year old Gramma on the HMH and her comment at the end was, "I didn't understand it, but I liked it!"

I think the WDW HM has a much clearer story.
skellinton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 09:03 PM   #15
TigerlilyAJ
DIS Veteran

Quote:
We knew about the overlay. Going in were not expecting anything just rode the ride. I guess we did not think it would be everything NBC, just some Jack here and there. I also thought it had no rhyme or reason to it. The Madame Leota room was the only thing that had any sense of cohesiveness to it. I understand that some will love it and some will hate it. We would be in the hate column. That is why I wanted to get others to chime in.
Oh, thank goodness. I thought my trip report would have me a lone voice in the wilderness. I was excited to see the overlay for the first time, but it was garish and OTT (over the top) for me. I also did not get that it would completely obliterate all of the original ride, except for the dancing guests who now cut through the gingerbread house. I was so happy to see them and the organist. It really should be called the Nightmare Before Christmas Mansion, so one does not expect anything at all of the original to be left. I felt like I was in more of a Halloween fright house. I think it's probably terrific for serious fans of that film, but I prefer the gentler, more ethereal ghosts of the regular ride.
TigerlilyAJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: