Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-17-2012, 06:39 PM   #1
budmonster
"Just don't give up trying to do what you really want to do. Where there is love and inspiration, I don't think you can go wrong." - Ella Fitzgerald

Anyone have a child....

who has a child who has gone into the Peace Corp?

I want to talk with DS19 about the Peace Corp as an option for him to do at this point in his life. He finished high school in 2011, started college and then proceeded to flunk out of college after two semesters. Left the house to live with some girl for a few months, came home in August and since has put no effort into getting a job. I think he is just at a loss as to what to do with his life.

Of course, I am concerned about safety, his health and so on. I wanted some first hand experiences some parents who have actually had a child do this. So, if your child (or close niece or nephew etc.) has done this could you please let me know how it went and if it changed their outlook on life.

Thanks
DTD Marriott 2003-Off Site May 2007-All Star Movie-Apr 2008 Pop Century-Apr 2009-All Star Music Nov 2009-Grand Floridian Dec 2009-Off Site Feb 2010-Pop Century Apr 2010-Pop Century Aug 2010- Pop Century November 2010-All Star Sports-2011 Lots and Lots of Day Trips
budmonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 07:04 PM   #2
twinboysmom
DIS Veteran

Just from the information you have given in your post I think it would be very difficult for your son to be accepted into the peace corp. it is competitive, most applicants have college degrees or some college with significant skills that are advantageous to the country they serve. Foreign languages are a plus. It never hurts to try though. Perhaps the military would be an option? My two close cousins were in the peace corp. They has a great experience. Very close family friends had a daughter who served as well. She didn't enjoy it but that wasn't a surprise to us.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-17-2012, 07:24 PM   #3
Art 1
DIS Veteran

My mothers cousin and his wife left not long ago. He did very well in business. Quit working and wanted to give back. They left 2 daughters in college behind. The process seemed to take some time. They were sent to Africa. Once there one is immersed in the language for about a month. If one does not become proficient in that time one is sent home. They found the living conditions much more difficult then they had expected due to what they were told they would be. After a few months they dropped out due to the living conditions and safety. They are both now in China teaching English.
Art 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 09:22 PM   #4
monsterkitty
DIS Veteran

My sister was in the Peace Corps after she graduated from college. She graduated with a chemical engineering degree but had no direction and did not really know what she wanted to do. So she went the Peace Corps route. She stayed in for 4 years and loved every second of it. There were a few times she was moved because the location she was in was no longer safe, but the Peace Corps was on top of what was going on in the country she was in and moved her before anything got to serious.

I do believe you have to have a college degree to get accepted.
monsterkitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 09:40 PM   #5
kidzmom3
DIS Veteran
Would tell all for a free cruise!

my neice is currently in the Peace Corps. You must have either a speciality degree or major experience in one of these fields. Agriculture, forestry, teaching english, and maybe one or two other fields. It is very difficult to be accepted. They take the cream of the crop.
kidzmom3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 09:43 PM   #6
sookie
DIS Veteran

i just decided to PM you op!

Last edited by sookie; 11-17-2012 at 09:57 PM.
sookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 06:59 AM   #7
pookybean
Mouseketeer

city year and job corp may be something to look into. im starting to think about that for my son too. he is a senior but just not interested in college right now, he doesnt know what he wants to do etc...

i planted the seed about the military and he was looking into it for awhile but im not sure his thoughts now. i find i have to take a step back with him and not push.

i do know in job corp he can earn a stipend and learn a trade and city year does volunteer work, im not sure if they earn a stipend or college credit/college money.

good luck in finding something that works, then come back and let me know! i may be in your spot next year...

me, ds 17, dd12, dd4
pookybean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 07:47 AM   #8
EdiePA
DIS Veteran since 1997
Believing in God is way more important than believing in TFs... ;)

Don't want to be a "downer" here, and things may have changed, but a co-worker had to go "rescue" his daughter for the Peace Corps ten years ago. She was in a very dangerous/unstable country and they were doing nothing to relocate her.

Just be sure to check everything out

Edie

Never, ever underestimate the power of a dare!!
EdiePA is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: