Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-18-2012, 10:26 AM   #1
amystevekai&bump
DIS Veteran

Letting servers know we won't be attending dinner?

Hi all

We are doing two back 2 back med cruises in the summer and have decided that whilst we will eat in the dining rooms, we will probably only do each menu once over the fortnight (so in effect we would only eat in the dining rooms on 7 out of 14 nights).

Last year we really enjoyed eating at Topsiders and I know that our two boys would much prefer to grab dinner some nights at Plutos Doghouse and stay playing by the pools, or we will get room service and watch a movie. So with this in mind.....

What is the best way to notify our Servers? I was thinking that on the first night I would explain our plans and then let them know that if we are not on time to dinner (we are always on time!) then not to expect us that evening.

I have also requested a four top table on both cruises (I know its just a request), but I thought that would at least help in terms of other table mates sitting and waiting for us.

Or do you think there is a better way for me to handle it?

Many thanks for your thoughts

NEXT TRIPS: August 2015 - Aulani and Disneyland / Aug 2016 - Portofino/BLT/Jambo

Between Oct 1979 & Dec 2013 - approx 27 trips (including Bay Lake Towers, Polynesian, Animal Kingdom Lodge - Jambo & Kidani, Beach club villas, Grand Floridian Villas, Contemporary Resort, Grand Floridian, Caribbean Beach Resort, Coronado Springs, All Stars Sports, off site hotels (inc Royal Pacific, Portofino, Hard Rock hotel!!) and villas)

PLUS - Disney Cruises x 6, Disney's Vero Beach resort, DLP x 10 visits & Disneyland California x 1 visit - And our 1998 Disney Wedding at the Wedding Pavillion!!
amystevekai&bump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 10:32 AM   #2
sdlong329
"Life is just a Fantasy!"

Your plan seems PERFECT ... and would allow you to show up for dinner any of the 14 nights ... enabling you to change you plans "literally minutes" before dinner.
sdlong329 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-18-2012, 10:32 AM   #3
PrincessShmoo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by amystevekai&bump View Post
Hi all

We are doing two back 2 back med cruises in the summer and have decided that whilst we will eat in the dining rooms, we will probably only do each menu once over the fortnight (so in effect we would only eat in the dining rooms on 7 out of 14 nights).

Last year we really enjoyed eating at Topsiders and I know that our two boys would much prefer to grab dinner some nights at Plutos Doghouse and stay playing by the pools, or we will get room service and watch a movie. So with this in mind.....

What is the best way to notify our Servers? I was thinking that on the first night I would explain our plans and then let them know that if we are not on time to dinner (we are always on time!) then not to expect us that evening.

I have also requested a four top table on both cruises (I know its just a request), but I thought that would at least help in terms of other table mates sitting and waiting for us.

Or do you think there is a better way for me to handle it?

Many thanks for your thoughts
I think it sound fine. I would, however, put a more specific time. Instead of just saying "If we're late" say "If we aren't here by XX time".

13 Cruises, 8 ships, 124 nights
Panama Canal; Alaska; Med; WB Transatlantic; Mexican Riviera; Hawaii; Baja CA; Bahamas; Eastern/Western Caribbean

DL too numerous to count WDW 1974, 1983, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1997, 2001, 2008, 2014 Tokyo DL 1984
PrincessShmoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 10:49 AM   #4
amystevekai&bump
DIS Veteran

Thank you both for your replies

I will definitely do the 'if we are not there by .... time, then we won't be there' - thats a good idea. If dinner is say at 6pm, would you say 6.15 or is that too long if we do happen to end up with table mates?

NEXT TRIPS: August 2015 - Aulani and Disneyland / Aug 2016 - Portofino/BLT/Jambo

Between Oct 1979 & Dec 2013 - approx 27 trips (including Bay Lake Towers, Polynesian, Animal Kingdom Lodge - Jambo & Kidani, Beach club villas, Grand Floridian Villas, Contemporary Resort, Grand Floridian, Caribbean Beach Resort, Coronado Springs, All Stars Sports, off site hotels (inc Royal Pacific, Portofino, Hard Rock hotel!!) and villas)

PLUS - Disney Cruises x 6, Disney's Vero Beach resort, DLP x 10 visits & Disneyland California x 1 visit - And our 1998 Disney Wedding at the Wedding Pavillion!!
Old 11-18-2012, 10:55 AM   #5
tajz90
Mama D

You will most likely get a 4 top. Our requests for 4 top has always been honored (except for when I FORGOT to request it) You won't have to worry about table mates, but 6:15 is a good time to stipulate.
tajz90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 11:08 AM   #6
amystevekai&bump
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tajz90 View Post
You will most likely get a 4 top. Our requests for 4 top has always been honored (except for when I FORGOT to request it) You won't have to worry about table mates, but 6:15 is a good time to stipulate.
Great - thank you. Hopefully we'll get our request too, that will save me worrying about offending any tablemates

Old 11-18-2012, 11:24 AM   #7
jgura
Discruiser

skipping dinner

I usually inform our server the night before when I know we will not be coming to dinner. (they will try to talk you into coming)
If you see your server working breakfast or lunch you can tell them.
I have told guest services before, but the message did not make it to our server.
OR when we have table mates I let them know.

Jill
jgura is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: