DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > DVC Member Services
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-17-2012, 03:24 PM   #1
MomtoBJSF
Mouseketeer

Split Stay ?

a month ago we booked a unexpected trip for the weekend of Thanksgiving , our home resort is VWL, but at the time they had nothing, so we booked SSR, but we've been able to get the first 3 days at VWL 23rd-25th, and then the 26th-28th at BLT Theme park view. this will be our first time staying at BLT, DH is really excited about that, but now I'm wondering if it's ridiculous to do a split stay for just a 5 day stay?, I'm thinking the hassle of packing up again will be silly with 3 kids.
DH , Me , DS#1 ,DD ,DS#2,
MomtoBJSF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 03:31 PM   #2
Sandisw

DISboards Moderator

We do split stays all the time. I usually just pack in a way that puts what we want for the first part of the stay in one suitcase and then what we need in a 2nd suitcase. This way, we unpack the first one and as we use things up, they go right back in. The 2nd one stays packed and in the closet so it really never feels like that big of a deal.

I have even gone as far as buying and packing two sets of toothbrushes, shampoo, etc. so I don't even have to repack those things. On our transfer day, we just check out at check out time and head over to Downtown Disney, have lunch, and shop. By the time we are done with all of that and get to the new resort, it is almost check in time. If the room is not ready, we hang out by the pool until it is.

Good luck!

Sandisw is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-17-2012, 03:48 PM   #3
dvcterry
DIS Veteran

If you haven't had an opportunity to stay at one of the resorts and would like to then it's one of those nice things about split stays. I personally do not like to move once our family gets there, and if we can stay at one resort, one resort it is. SSR is a nice, relaxing resort. But it seems as though you are excited about BLT. Enjoy your time down there and have a nice Thanksgiving.
Old 11-17-2012, 04:39 PM   #4
MomtoBJSF
Mouseketeer

I don't like the idea of moving either, But my hubby seems to really want to do so, I think he may have a case of addonitis, so this might be his way of wanting to feel out BLT before adding on, so I'll just suck it up, and let him have his wish, the kids wont care too much.
Old 11-17-2012, 04:55 PM   #5
dvcterry
DIS Veteran

Oh no! I have a case of addonitis so I know how that feels. Added on BLT after staying there. We liked going to the TOTWL during our stay. Hope you like it!
Old 11-18-2012, 10:02 AM   #6
MrShiny
DIS Veteran

My advice - since you'll have multiple bags anyway with that many people and that many days, try to pack bags by stay - a set of bags for the one resort and a set for the other. Of course there will be some overlap, but minimize that.

The day you switch, here is what I do.

If there are at least 2 adults, send one in the morning to the new resort to check in. If the resort was not full the night before, there might even be a room ready. The other adult calls Bell Services and gives them the bags.

Then meet up at the park closest to the second resort. Spend the day there and go to the new room in the afternoon when it is definitely ready and when the bags will be there.

Next trips:
Disney Fantasy - 25th Anniversary
Sept.-Oct. 2014

COMMON Annual Meeting
Disneyland Hotel April 2015
MrShiny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 03:25 PM   #7
disneynutz

Earning My Ears One At A Time

For a 5 night stay, I wouldn't move, 10 nights, maybe. You will have years to visit all of the resorts they aren't going anywhere and moving will eat up one of your days.

Bill

disneynutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 12:24 AM   #8
sarah-jane
Mouseketeer

We split our stay and we found it very smooth. We do eleven days split between three resorts. We just let them transfer the luggage and checked in when we were done at the parks that afternoon.

sarah-jane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 12:27 AM   #9
sarah-jane
Mouseketeer

So, what I meant to say is we found splitting worth it and not a big hassle so if you are excited about BLT I'd go ahead and do the split. It took us very little extra time, but the change if scenery kept everything fresh - but maybe we were lucky it wasn't inconvenient.

Old 11-19-2012, 07:25 AM   #10
MomtoBJSF
Mouseketeer

After much debate, we have decided to stay at VWL, we will be moving within the resort, but not a split stay, it will make for an easier 5 days.
Old 11-20-2012, 12:38 AM   #11
sarah-jane
Mouseketeer

Have a fabulous time!

Old 11-20-2012, 02:46 PM   #12
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MomtoBJSF View Post
After much debate, we have decided to stay at VWL, we will be moving within the resort, but not a split stay, it will make for an easier 5 days.
I just want to make sure you understand that moving within a resort isn't that much different than moving to another resort. It still involves packing, putting your bags somewhere (in the car or with bell services), and doing something for the hours you are "homeless". The only thing it alleviates is the travel between resorts.

We are really into split stays. OK, DH has been reluctant, but he, too, likes to see MANY resorts, so this time he's being less of a stick in the mud about it. And because we've done some major split stays (and most people would freak about our February trip, LOL), we know that moving inside of a resort is almost the same as changing resorts.

So if you're already moving...if someone would really rather check out a different resort, you really might consider doing that.

Quote:
DH is really excited about that...
That excitement is worth keeping.

DLR '05-'09 found within this link
DLR 7,9,12 2012 Universal Feb '12 DLR Dec '11 and Feb '12

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently working to maintain 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!
bumbershoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 03:26 PM   #13
MrShiny
DIS Veteran

I agree - moving from say the VWL to WL, or even one unit to another will require packing one morning, getting Bell Services, checking out, checking in and unpacking.

You'll want to try to check in as early that day as possible - if you can snag a free room it;ll make things much easier.

In the worst case, your bags will be in storage from 11AM-4PM, so just plan accordingly!

In the best case, the new room will be ready that morning and close enough to just stroll over to with your bags - but don't count on that either!

Next trips:
Disney Fantasy - 25th Anniversary
Sept.-Oct. 2014

COMMON Annual Meeting
Disneyland Hotel April 2015
MrShiny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 04:29 PM   #14
Disneypapa
OKW owner since 2002

DVC Gold Member
Paid DVC Rent/Trade
Gold Membership

Personally I wouldn't do a split stay. Just to much of a hassel as far as I'm concerned.
Disneypapa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 05:16 PM   #15
DizBub
Totally Addicted

We are doing a split stay in Jan. 2 nights at BLT and the next 5 at SSR. Not looking forward to the split stay/moving day but really, really looking forward to BLT studio since we have never stayed in one. Wish it was longer than 2 nghts.
DizBub is online now   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: