Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Pre-Trip Reports and Plans
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-17-2012, 03:08 PM   #1
Twoboysnmygirl
DIS Veteran

WE'RE BACK! TR LINK! TThe Evil Spell Has Been Broken! A Special Mother/Daughter PTR

Welcome! My name is Karen and I'm a serial PTR/TR writer on the DIS. This is a special PTR, just for my daughter Savannah & I.

The title is a bit of a dig at my "Neverending PTR" that I started a few years ago. I started a Pre-Trip Report and we postponed twice and then canceled and then tried again. It was a hard time for us, financially, we nearly lost everything, and I really kept myself sane by dreaming of Disney. It was that spark of hope that I needed at the time, but it made for a pretty sad PTR when I kept having to put it off b/c we couldn't afford it.

Well, the spell was broken when we finally got back on our feet and got back to WDW in January 2012! It was magical and as amazing as I had hoped for, but I think some of that worry and feeling like it would never happen for us, lingered. So, naturally, I planned yet another trip!

It was just a 3 night trip with my husband, Rey, to get away for our 21st Anniversary(in November 2012). We had only gone away for 2 nights previously in our 21 years together! So, I still spent most of my planning worrying that it wouldn't happen. I worried right up until the trip, I kept thinking we would cancel like so many times in the past...but we didn't! We had a fantastic trip, you can read about it in my TR link below.

Too much talk! Need pictures! BTW, if you don't know me already, I'm a photographer amongst many other things, and I MUST MUST MUST post pictures. If I don't, you know I'm sick or something b/c there's nothing worse than a pictureless post.

Introductions!
This is me, Karen, I will STILL be 39 (by a few weeks!) when we go on our trip! I homeschool my kids (I have 17 & 18 year old sons as well), I have my own petsitting business which single handedly funded this trip btw, I'm a photographer and a runner. Rey (my amazing husband) took this last week on our balcony at AKL!

This is my daughter, Savannah. She's 12 going on 18 and not in a horrible way. She's very mature, I consider her my assistant, she's been petsitting with me since she was 3 and just recently did a job alone while I was gone on my trip with Rey. I want to gush all over here about here, but I'll save it. I'm crazylucky to have her for a daughter, she's amazing.

This shot of us and the previous were shots I took for her 12th bday photo shoot in October.

Our trip will be for 4 nights, February 5th-9th 2013! Today is actually 80 days from our trip and one of the reasons I decided to start the PTR before I was done with my TR from my Anniversary trip.

So... I feel like the spell has been broken. We DID get back, we didn't have to cancel, we WILL go again...and most likely again...and again...and again!

Last edited by Twoboysnmygirl; 02-10-2013 at 07:21 AM.
Twoboysnmygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 03:08 PM   #2
Twoboysnmygirl
DIS Veteran

Table of Content

Walk down Memory Lane

The WHERE!

Rides, rides, rides! That's what it's all about!

Thanksgiving update

Cookie Day!

TS-13

The Nutcracker with a little Disney thrown in!

Hot Chocolate, cookies, and dolls?!!

Happy Winter Solstice & Merry Christmas!!

Merry Christmas & 40 Days!

Happy New Years and SURPRISE reservations!!!

Travel Day & Day 1 plans (kinda)

Park Day #2!

3rd & final park day

Little Mermaid Disney Day

T-shirts!

22 Days and Itinerary Changes!

3 WEEKS!

17 Days and 25 photos!

15 days & MLK Day of Service

10 DAYS!!

Single Digits!!

8 Days and extended weather!

5 Days-last movie day! Beauty & The Beast

4 Days & Journals

2 Days!

We're going to Disney World TOMORROW!!!

We're BACK! TR LINK!!!

Last edited by Twoboysnmygirl; 02-10-2013 at 07:20 AM.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-17-2012, 05:11 PM   #3
JDailey
Mouseketeer

Yay another P.T.R.!!!!
Old 11-17-2012, 05:15 PM   #4
Twoboysnmygirl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDailey View Post
Yay another P.T.R.!!!!
Right?!?!? I could call it an online journal for people who love Disney like me...but PTR seems easier!
Old 11-17-2012, 08:11 PM   #5
Tink-erin-belle
DIS Veteran

I'm happy to see you started a PTR! Oh, and 80 DAYS!!!

Disney Every Day - An October 2014 PTR
Tink-erin-belle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 04:51 AM   #6
Twoboysnmygirl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tink-erin-belle View Post
I'm happy to see you started a PTR! Oh, and 80 DAYS!!!
I know! I don't think I have ever started a PTR so LATE!
Old 11-18-2012, 08:25 AM   #7
Twoboysnmygirl
DIS Veteran

Trip down Memory Lane! A little WDW trip background:

Our first trip was with friends, just Savannah & I. Neither of us had ever been to WDW. Savannah was just shy of turning 8! We stayed at Pop and were there for 5 days of complete COMMANDO touring. It was insane, but our friends were intent on us seeing it all. Oh how my feet hurt that trip! We fell in love with WDW that trip.

The second trip was a year later in 2009! My MIL saw the pictures and talked to me about our 2008 trip and decided that she wanted to take us to WDW. She had only been once and they had only gone to 1 park? We stayed offsite in a house and it was different but fun! I was so glad to share it with Rey and the boys, since they hadn't come on our first trip. The link to my TR from that trip: (it's a laugh!)

*~*~OFFFFFFFFFFF with their heads!!!!!! Oct. 19-27th 2009 TR~*~*

The third trip was just this past January 2012. It was a LONG TIME coming, lots of ups and downs in the 2 1/2 years between those trips. It was also the first trip we actually saved and paid for by ourselves. That felt amazing to finally do. The Neverending PTR was during this time, there's a link to it in the PTR and TR for our January trip!

"Are you done with that?!?!" A photo heavy, gluttonous, January 2012 TR

Now for some photos! Ok, you have to PROMISE that you WILL NOT JUDGE my photography on these old photos!!! It was that first 2008 trip that actually got me interested in photography because when I got home, I realized that the pictures didn't capture what I remembered and that is when I saved up for my first DSLR so that when we did go back I would be able to get those shots! (yep, it's always about Disney!)

My little 7 year old girlie & I, waiting for the ride to the airport! September 2008:

Her first look up at the castle:

Our first ride! DUMBO!!!

AKL for dinner at Boma:

MNSSHP:

COMMANDO IS HARD WORK!

Just a year later, she already looked so much older...
October 2009:

MNSSHP:

but the difference between the 2009 trip and the Jan. 2012 trip made me realize how fast they grow up! *sniff* (her friend Leslee came with us, she's in lots of the shots!)

Looking at these pictures, I realize she's even grown a lot since January! This was her just a few weeks ago for her Birthday and Halloween:

I'm really looking forward to more pictures of us together, just mother and daughter. I have lots already, but I can never have enough and since 2 of our 3 trips she had friends with her, we didn't get as many alone as I wanted, I didn't want to make her friends feel left out!

Up next...the WHERE!

Last edited by Twoboysnmygirl; 11-18-2012 at 08:35 AM.
Old 11-18-2012, 09:29 AM   #8
Twoboysnmygirl
DIS Veteran

The WHERE:

Well, we first planned this trip with the intention of staying at the very new and fabulous Art of Animation resort! I booked a Little Mermaid room for us and waited...and waited...and waited...for a discount. I had not thought about how sought after the LM rooms would be, and after a brief period of discounts offered for this fall in the LM section, ALL the offers and pins were excluding them. I have gotten LOADS of pins in email! ALL of them exluded the LM section at AoA.

But, I kept the reservation and Rey & I were lucky enough to have our ME bus take us by AoA and PoP on our way to and from the airport. We got to see it up close and personal. Well, I had not accounted for its size. It's MASSIVE. I was really blown away by the size when we pulled up. The sheer number of people at the bus stops worried me, but what came next put me over the edge...

As we left AoA and exited, we turned and drove to PoP. I saw the familiar sign and smiled as we turned onto PoP's drive. Rey pointed and we both turned to notice some PoP buildings directly to our right...both our jaws dropped as we realized they were actually AoA buildings...LM section to be exact! I'm not one to really care much about distance of things and Rey definitely isn't. He could care less how long a walk is, thinks people are far too lazy, etc. but we both were shocked at how far those LM buildings were from the main AoA building. I might have still considered it if I was getting a discount, but this put me over the edge!

So, I looked at my pins when I got home and talked to Savannah. One pin was the stay,play, dine and the other was free dining. Well, the FD is only for preferred rooms at PoP, but it's 10$ cheaper than the SPD pin. I talked to Savannah, who said she had only really been looking forward to the pool at AoA but said she was happy to go HOME to Pop!

Pop was were we stayed on our first magical trip and then this past January we went back there with the whole family. We both love it, so when I called and could get FD for the same price at PoP as I was paying for just room/tickets and NO food at LM, I changed the reservation. We're headed home! 4 nights, Feb. 5th-9th!

Here are some of my favorite memories from PoP:
Savannah's first visit to PoP, hoola hooping in the lobby while we checked in! (excuse the poor pic quality)

We love the theming!

and the cheesecake!!!

Our biggest issue is that it's a preferred room and we don't really want a preferred room! We LOVED our lake view in the 50s section in January. The lake view is not preferred. (that's AoA over there, still being built!)

Savannah requested the 50s section again, so that's what we put in as a request with our preferred room. We love the bowling pin pool too. AND, I have read that the hippy dippy pool heater does not work, so we'll want a warm pool in February anyway!

Fireworks view from our room in the 50s section

LOVE it at night:

We even had a Pop Century Day when we were planning last year! We usually do some movie/themed days building up to our trip, I'm hoping to do some in the next 79 days as well! Here's our PoP Day:

Old 11-18-2012, 10:31 AM   #9
-Hope-
DIS Veteran

I'm here! I was on my phone yesterday when I saw the link so didn't make it over until today but I'm here! I can't believe how much Savannah and Bella have grown and changed since that first trip.

And there will most DEFINITELY be some Disney days before your trip- and then you can keep helping me with mine.
-Hope- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 10:38 AM   #10
Twoboysnmygirl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Hope- View Post
I'm here! I was on my phone yesterday when I saw the link so didn't make it over until today but I'm here! I can't believe how much Savannah and Bella have grown and changed since that first trip.

And there will most DEFINITELY be some Disney days before your trip- and then you can keep helping me with mine.
Yay! What should the first one be? Savannah & I have a very RIDE FILLED trip, so I'm hoping some that are based on rides? have you seen Brave? We have not and I want to. Also, Savannah wants to see some of these that she hasn't seen or doesn't remember:
Lion King
Little Mermaid (this is a must before the trip)
Alladin
Beauty & The Beast

December is crazy, but I bet if we plan now, ahead of time, we can find one day that we can squeeze a Disney Day into December! January will be easier but we'll only have about 4 weeks once we get to January!!!
Old 11-18-2012, 12:29 PM   #11
-Hope-
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twoboysnmygirl

Yay! What should the first one be? Savannah & I have a very RIDE FILLED trip, so I'm hoping some that are based on rides? have you seen Brave? We have not and I want to. Also, Savannah wants to see some of these that she hasn't seen or doesn't remember:
Lion King
Little Mermaid (this is a must before the trip)
Alladin
Beauty & The Beast

December is crazy, but I bet if we plan now, ahead of time, we can find one day that we can squeeze a Disney Day into December! January will be easier but we'll only have about 4 weeks once we get to January!!!
My kids are getting Brave for Christmas whether they want it or not.

So, we should plan on The Little Mermaid for Dec. and Brave for January. I'll email you when I'm on my laptop so we can figure out a day.

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards
Old 11-18-2012, 01:52 PM   #12
Twoboysnmygirl
DIS Veteran

I LOVE the beginnings of a PTR! So many fun posts with plans and pictures. I SHOULD spread them out, take my time...but I just can't! So, I'll post everything and then have nothing for the remaining 70something days before the trip!

I need a little help! We will have 3 full park days only, with hoppers. I need to decide how to order them! So, I have to start with rides. I wrote out every single attraction for each park on 4 different pieces of paper for Savannah and had her circle the ones she wanted to ride/do. She then proceeded to add her own little touch of checkmarks next to the ones that she wanted to ride MULTIPLE times! That's my girl!

Here are the lists: (I will put the multiple-ride picks in RED. These are her favorites, she couldn't pick just one when I asked what her favorite was!) I am going to add in pictures, naturally, just because I can!

Magic Kingdom-

Dumbo

Barnstormer
New Little Mermaid!
Teacups(I told her they would be closed, but she ignored me)
Philharmagic
Peter Pan
Carousel
Pooh
Buzz Lightyear
People Mover
Train
Monsters Inc
Speedway

Haunted Mansion
Pirates
Jungle Cruise
Alladin
Big Thunder Mountain

WOW, that's a lot! Especially since she has 4 things she wants to ride multiple times! I think we can do this though. Our first day, Wednesday, Feb. 6th would be a MK day. We have an ADR at Crystal Palace before the park opens at 8:10 and plan to finish up by RD and get started!

The question is, do I leave at lunch, swim, rest, and then come back or do we hop and then come back another day? Hmmmmm

Disney Hollywood Studio-

Toy Story Mania
Rock-n-Roller Coaster
(she's terrified of this ride but loves it...it's a love/hate relationship!)

Muppets
Animation class

New Pirates attraction?
Disney Channel Rocks?
American Idol?
Lights, Motors, Action (I take issue with this one, she's already seen it and I told her it would take up too much of our day. Last time it took about 3 hours total out of our day, lots of waiting!)

Thinking of hopping to Epcot for a bit on this 2nd day after DHS?

Epcot-
(this is Savannah's least favorite park, but she LOVES TT)

Test Track

Soarin
Nemo
Spaceship Earth
Mexico ride
Malstrom
Illuminations

Biggest issue is that I cannot hit a RD at Epcot (without giving up my DHS ropedrop and I won't do that b/c we'll miss out on TSM FP's)
so it's going to be hard with TT AND Soarin. We will be hitting the PM EMH on our last night at Epcot, so I know we'll be able to ride TT then a few times, but I don't want to leave it until the last moment of the trip and then have something happen and miss it. Last time she went a bunch of times and thought we were going to go after Illuminations and was VERY upset when she realized that they closed it up after Illuminations and she wouldn't get to go again.

As for World Showcase, she has no interest. We have spent a LOT of time there the last 2 trips because the adults wanted to, so this trip we probably won't do much around WS except Mexico and Norway rides, maybe go see Marie in France.

Animal Kingdom-
(you would think this wouldn't be a full day park for us, but it is. Savannah LOVES animals and loves AK. I planned our last day Friday for this, that way we can hit RD for EE.)

Expedition Everest!!(my fav)

Safari
Kali River Rapids (I'm hoping this is closed b/c it's too cold or refurbing!)
Dinosaur
Triceratops Spin
Jungle Trek
Flights of Wonder
Tough to be a Bug
Finding Nemo

Ok, the last three are going to kill me with time...three shows! She really wants to see Nemo, she's never seen it. She's giving up seeing Lion King again to see it b/c I told her we could not see both in one day.

So after this long day at AK, we still need to hit DTD b/c we decided we wanted to shop at the END of our trip...and THEN head to Epcot for EMH to ride TT a few more times?!?!?

Shew! I'm tired just looking at it. AND, it's hard to follow the list with all the pictures thrown in there...but that's just how I roll.

Old 11-18-2012, 04:22 PM   #14
-Hope-
DIS Veteran

Wowzer! That's a lot of rides. I know you'll do it though. Our girly trip is way more laid back... though I can see from your list that I need to read up on the new attractions because I haven't been on the main boards in a loooong time!

Old 11-18-2012, 04:42 PM   #15
Twoboysnmygirl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Hope- View Post
Wowzer! That's a lot of rides. I know you'll do it though. Our girly trip is way more laid back... though I can see from your list that I need to read up on the new attractions because I haven't been on the main boards in a loooong time!

Yep, I have a ride-em-all girl, so we'll try to hit as many as we can. It's no biggie if we miss some though, I'm guessing the ones in red will be the ones we focus on. It will also help that we're doing CS meals, except for Crystal Palace. More time for rides and less for food...complete opposite of what Rey & I did!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: